Another article on the Juul

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
My juul was charging and the green light came on, and I got distracted and forgot to remove it. An hour or two later there was a burning electrical smell in the air, coming from it. It seems the charger overheated, because that's what had the smell, but not the juul device itself. Still, I'm not gonna chance using it, and especially not the charger. I'll call them and see what they say.
They were very nice about it, had me return the device and charger while they quickly sent me a new kit.

Now, having a new Juul, I've discovered that most of the problems I'd been having were from wear on the device itself. All my pods that were no longer snapping into place well, and therefore not working well, are now working very well on the new device. I still have to squeeze the pod here and there when the vapor gets thinner. That problem is with the pods, and there's leakiness even with new pods.

The juice is way too strong for me, but with the one pod I hadn't messed with from the original kit I got, the throat hit has diminished to about 20% of original strength since about June this year when I bought it. I hadn't kept it away from heat, light, and humidity, but that's a lot more diminished than my other nic juices get from that sort of neglect.

I greatly prefer the type of throat hit I get from regular (freebase) nic, compared to juul juice with added PG/VG to bring the nic level down to tolerable. I don't like that I feel the throat hit from the juul juice all the way down into my lungs. Much less pleasant, for me.

I'm getting some great vaping out of this juul by filling with my own juice. I'm hoping that this new device doesn't loosen up like the last one, which eventually made it not even work with the one pod I hadn't refilled.

The snap-in design is a problem. A new pod takes a lot of force to snap in, and that begins to wear down the tabs on the pod, and either the same with the device, or the device stretches. The change in the device was the much bigger contributer to the failures, than the change in the pods.

The problem of leaking from squeezing a pod is a pretty big problem, but I've gotten pretty good with avoiding squeezing. They need to make the pod less flexible. According to their website, the plastic is not polycarbonate, so I guess tank-cracking juices would be OK.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Figured I'd share the little Juul setup I put together using an old ego case. Fits a 5200mAh battery pack, a case of pods, and a leather case for the Juuls (actually an eRoll case) makes charging these things a lot easier!
1.jpg

2.jpg

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Where do you get a battery pack like that? I hope they come out with a PCC eventually.. But that would be nice for the car

A PCC would definitely be nice to have, although with the price of the Juul I'm imagining it would be priced really high. The one I'm using is just a standard mobile charging pack or whatever they are called, with an eGo case like Katya said. I got it at Best Buy for $25, it's just their house brand (insignia) and it's a bit bulky (about the size of two 18650s next to each other, but longer) but it lasts a crazy long time with its 5200mAh capacity.

They have tons of them on their site though if you are interested in picking one up. It's been really handy for things other than the Juul too, I might have to get a second one as I'm finding myself using it for phones, other vape gear, etc. That 2 amp charge rate is nice for quickly charging stuff! Gotta love modern technology ;)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cell-ph...ks/pcmcat326000050010.c?id=pcmcat326000050010

And here is the exact model I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...gray/9194103.p?id=1219701748687&skuId=9194103

cardsfan300

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2014
Florida
Just got a shipment in of pods today. The ones I had were from a gas station in Illinois.. I live in Florida.. They are not here yet. I bought the pods in Illinois shortly after the juul was released. I am not sure if they have improved them or what, but so far this shipment is hitting better than what I had. Anyone else notice a difference since it was released? Just seems to be a more full hit. 6 or 7 puffs and I'm ready to put it down. Now I just gotta get me a battery pack and I am set!

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Just got a shipment in of pods today. The ones I had were from a gas station in Illinois.. I live in Florida.. They are not here yet. I bought the pods in Illinois shortly after the juul was released. I am not sure if they have improved them or what, but so far this shipment is hitting better than what I had. Anyone else notice a difference since it was released? Just seems to be a more full hit. 6 or 7 puffs and I'm ready to put it down. Now I just gotta get me a battery pack and I am set!
The nicotine in the pods seems to lose potency a lot more quickly than any other e-liquid I've used. Maybe your old pods were just as strong when you first got them.

I'm gonna put my pods in the fridge right after I post this. The ones that still have Juul juice, that is.

cardsfan300

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2014
Florida
Yeah could be. But wow..I really love this thing. I was an eroll user (24 nic), and as much as I loved the eroll..this juul just is something else. Even though it's been well over a year since my last cigarette, even with the eroll, there were times where I still wanted a real smoke. I have not once felt that way with the juul. I love how I am not always reaching for it. At home, I could never put the eroll down, with the juul, I can vape and I don't touch it again for a half hour. It also works very well in the morning. Now I just hope they get it locally so I don't always have to order the pods.

Reactions: UncleChuck

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Yeah could be. But wow..I really love this thing. I was an eroll user (24 nic), and as much as I loved the eroll..this juul just is something else. Even though it's been well over a year since my last cigarette, even with the eroll, there were times where I still wanted a real smoke. I have not once felt that way with the juul. I love how I am not always reaching for it. At home, I could never put the eroll down, with the juul, I can vape and I don't touch it again for a half hour. It also works very well in the morning. Now I just hope they get it locally so I don't always have to order the pods.

I really wish a juice maker would start providing a product with nic salts, I'd be happy paying more than "normal" juice for a 30ml bottle if I knew I'd only use a few mls a day. I did a diy 50mg unflavored juice to try and refill the pods with, but it just isn't the same as the stock juul juice and I'd find myself continually puffing on it like you mention doing with the eroll.

I swear it's either the same juice, or the same type of nic that the Njoy king had, I haven't used one of those in a long time but it seems like the nic hit is the same and the flavor is incredibly close. I remember wishing Njoy would come out with a rechargeable King with replacement carts, but the Juul is basically the same thing but better. Anyone know if Njoy lost any of their employees to Pax? ;)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Both citric acid and boric benzoic acid (which is what Juul uses to reduce pH) are readily available and inexpensive. I got some of both when I was intrigued by Juul's nic salts patent. But after diluting some of Juul's juice to a normal concentration and vaping it in a regular mod for a while, I came to the conclusion that the only thing really special about Juul's juice is its ultra high nic concentration. Reducing pH makes 50+ mg juice more vapable, but I don't think it does much at all at more normal nic levels (aside from imparting a somewhat strange taste).

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I've been trying to order from them since Kurt revealed that they are using citric acid, but they are always out of stock. I wanted to get some 20 or 35 mg/ml unflavored. :facepalm:
I stopped looking there, because I ended up not liking vaping nic salts, but yeah, unless you want to pay $100 for 250ml. The smaller bottles of 20mg/ml and 35mg/ml (which is their highest nic level) is always listed as "out of stock".

Reactions: Katya

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Both citric acid and boric acid (which is what Juul uses to reduce pH) are readily available and inexpensive. I got some of both when I was intrigued by Juul's nic salts patent. But after diluting some of Juul's juice to a normal concentration and vaping it in a regular mod for a while, I came to the conclusion that the only thing really special about Juul's juice is its ultra high nic concentration. Reducing pH makes 50+ mg juice more vapable, but I don't think it does much at all at more normal nic levels (aside from imparting a somewhat strange taste).
Juul uses benzoic acid, and I think you bought some of that.

The hit from the juul juice is definitely different, and more of a lung hit for me, but I agree with you that an apparent advantage of the nic salts is that it mutes the harshness, allowing for extremely high nic content. I have no need for that, though it's possible it would've been helpful at first when I was quitting smoking by vaping.

Reactions: Katya

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It looks like Njoy might have rolled out a disposable with nic salts, though I'm only guessing based on these two bits of info:

https://www.njoy.com/vaping-e-liquids
NJOY e liquids are all manufactured within the U.S. with domestic and imported ingredients following Good Manufacturing Practices, and are composed of pharmaceutical grade PG, VG and nicotine, as well as flavorings and lactic acid (some formulations).

https://www.njoy.com/daily
Our latest innovation is now delivering the most authentic “smoking” experience to date. We’re proud (and really freakin excited) to introduce the Daily – a labor of love that blends Satisfaction, Performance, Authenticity, Flavor and Design for an experience that’s more than 90% as satisfying as a cigarette during the first 7 minutes of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread