This poll is for former smokers who quit with the help of e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA
I didn't start smoking until I was 21. About a year later, my body started rejecting the cigs on its own and I quit. I picked it up again 2 years later when I took a very stressful job. The 2-3 a day turned into a pack a day. I tried cutting back; never succeeded. When e-cigs first came out in the malls, I ordered one online thinking this is how I can get out of the cold! Because we didn't smoke in the house. They sucked. Broke in like 2 weeks. Fast forward a couple years later and I saw Blu in the Walgreens and knew I was going to have a tough time taking the Girl Scouts on a week long trip and not smoking so I bought a couple disposables. They worked well enough that I bought the rechargeable pack and I quit using those. My wife never could quit with Blu but one of her friends had an ego that she let her try and now we are both smoke free. We both relapsed for a bit during our separation but have quit again. These things are miracle workers. To be able to quit smoking and still relax with smoking friends is probably the biggest benefit. When I relapsed over the winter, I think I was easily able to quit again because I was so disappointed with the lack of smoke! Vapor clouds are just so relaxing and they don't make me gag!

*~*moonlitwish*~*

Reactions: bigdancehawk

Drummel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
Sycamore, IL
I smoked for about 25 years. I first quit smoking on Feb 9th 2010 I failed this attempt though. As much as I enjoyed E-Cigs something just wasn't there. Might have been my mind set, it might have been that I was not ready to fully commit. I have no real answer. I DID quit going out for cigarettes though. I stayed indoors and vaped instead - so it was a start. On and off over 4 years of vaping and smoking I battled and as the market for vaping improved, and the devices started to satisfy what I felt my needs were I finally made the conversion. I have had a few "slips" when I drank beer, but as of this year I would have the say the battle is finally won.

I am completely smoke free now. From the humble beginnings when the market was just so simple that choices where like Four Leaf clovers, through today. The market is so amazing now. I am glad I have been a part of the vaping world and have been able to see it change and start to mature into what it currently is today. I may not have been a successful story to start, but I can proudly say I SURE AS HELL AM NOW! My KangerTech Mini and my IPV Mini 2 along with Aspire's Atlantis and Triton tanks, and a Kanger Mini Subtank, and 1 Mutation RDA.
A room full of cotton, tons of kanthal, tools, a hobby room... I have rekindled my love for vaping in major ways. And it's been an awesome road through war and flames to soothing vapor clouds and fantastic flavor.

I could ramble on and on, but you get the gist.
Vape on!

bugzy1988

Jan 17, 2015
New England
Never really wanted to quit to be honest. I've always enjoyed smoking. In 07' when vaping started coming around my ex had wanted me to quit and I had seen a ecig stand at the mall "old fashioned cigalikes" I picked up a lot to give it a shot. Unfortunately those didn't seem to give me the satisfaction of an ol cig and I want really interested in quiting for myself back then. Till recent years later 2014 I had gotten sick of feeling like crap and spending loads of money. My friend at work had an ego. I tried it out for a little and liked it so I gave it a shot for myself this time. Went out and got a spinner with a ego tank. I did ok. Still was smokinga half pack a day and vaping. I did get down to a couple a day but still couldn't give it up. Right around then when sub ohming was becoming a thing I had been interested a lot in the vaping culture already just needed to find something to satisfy a guy who smoked like a chimney. Started doing endless amount and studying of it all. From battery safety, building, and modding. Finally went out and got a regulated box and an rda. Finally it was the power of sub-ohm that got me my fix. Went a few weeks here and there no cigs. Did run into issues when sub tanks first came out. Made the mistake of getting the kanger subtank back when they had the insulator problems. Long story but the issues with that and the limited vape shops around I got frustrated and had put it all down for awhile and went back to the stinkies. Recently in the spring of this year subtank designs and more companies were making better quality sub tanks I have it another shot. Got a few more regulated boxes, couple mechs and good rdas at this point including quality sub tanks had started putting down the smokes again. Went down to a few cigs a week over the summer and finally put em down for good August 16th of this summer and haven't touched a cigarette since. For all the ups and downs I had in the beginning I could of never put down the nasty cigs. Best journey I've had. Now I can still enjoy that smoking cessation without blacking my lungs and having health problems. As long as vaping is around I have no intentions to quit vaping ever. Such a great hobby and community of people. I couldn't ask for more.

Alright done blabbing. I'm sure there's plenty of editing "run on sentences, sudden topic changes" needed here but I'm tired of typing ha. But that's pretty much my story. So guess to say the sub-ohm of vaping is what got me smoke free. Vaper on and off since 07' . full time vaper end of summer '15

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: absolutely! I previously had tried to kick a 38-year smoking habit using gum, cold turkey, Wellbutrin, and even exercise. Nothing worked in the long run, although gum helped me stop for 3 months and Wellbutrin for a month and a half, making me feel miserable in the process.
When I picked up an Njoy cigalike kit (along with replacement cartos), immediately I was able to reduce my smokes from a pack and a half to less than half a pack a day. I had to buy extra batteries because the cigalike batts just didn't last me. Then the cigalikes got too strong and caused me to cough up a lung. I quit them and went back to smoking until October, 2013.
I went to a tobacco store to buy a vape pen kit, along with 24mg nic juice. I charged the battery, filled the clearo with juice, and vaped. No choking, no hacking, no problem--until the battery died. I smoked while my battery was charging, reducing my smokes from a pack and a half to a mere 6. The following week, only 5, then 4, 3, 2, 1...and a month later, on 11/14/13, I smoked my last ciggie and haven't picked one up since. I've been vaping now for 2 years and have been smoke-free for a year and 11 months. In short, vaping did allow me to quit smoking.

Reactions: David Wolf

FishingBuffalo

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Collinsville,TX
Yes it has!. Smoked 35 years, enjoyed, yes enjoyed every stogie. Wife has COPD and smoked 35 years as well. If it wasn't for vaping we would still be smoking. We look on vaping as a viable alternative to something we enjoyed, not being near as harmful. When she went from 3-4 lung infections a year to only 2 in 4 years, that is a statement in itself.

Reactions: David Wolf

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Not sure why I never saw this thread... but vaping helped me ditch cigarettes not just once, but TWICE. The first time, piece o'cake; without any premeditated inclination to quit smoking, I managed to switch to vape-only within 4 weeks of beginning to vape, without cravings or withdrawal or any other problem.

After my appendectomy and month-long relapse, I was determined to get back to smoke-free, and it was a little harder; took more of an effort of will, but I KNEW it was possible, so I took the leap. The godawful cravings that provoked the relapse returned after 10 days, but fortunately by then I had acquired some WTA -- which completely removed all cravings, and made the whole process just as easy as the first time.

Almost 15 months later... I'm now down to 1.8% WTA, and have begun dropping my nic level from its previous 10mg, to see if using only 5mg thru the winter will help with my painfully-cold hands and feet; I'm now down to 7.5mg, and I really don't even notice any difference at all, I'm not vaping any more than I was at 10mg, and in fact, due to a cold presently, lately I've been trying to take it a bit easier on vaping, and that has not proved difficult at all, which really amazes me, because I clearly recall that when I would try to go easier on smoking, I nearly always ended up smoking MORE, just from the stress of trying to smoke less.

I've said since I started vaping that I'd probably vape till I died, but with this new development... maybe not. I'm nowhere near being ready to even consider giving up vaping, but I can entertain it as a future possibility. Who'd a'thunk it! :D

Andria

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
A friend of mine kept telling me about this new thing she read about on the Internet, an "electronic cigarette" she urged me to give it a try over and over again. I was a constant and steady stubborn no. Finally she ordered me a Premium starter kit. I agreed reluctantly to try it. I said I would take it to work that day instead of my cigarettes. That was almost three years ago, and the last day I smoked! Thank God for those more stubborn than me!

I was a 25 year smoker two packs of marlboro red 100's a day. I got diagnosed with COPD August 7,2015 and was released from the hospital and drove straight to a vape shop. Istick 20w, Aerotank V2 and a bottle of Cowboy ejuice. Haven't touched a cigarette since.

For vapers who’ve quit smoking: Was your attempt using e-cigarette products effective for smoking cessation?
k

Reactions: JC Okie

lpboyle

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
Louisville, KY USA
Today marks my first full week cigarette free. Tried to quit a few times w/o success. Tried to switch w/ gas station cigalikes w/o success over the last five years. Finally, I got a v2 with a refillable carto two weeks ago and quickly moved to 650's with a T3'D and Mini Protank. They seem to be working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Today marks my first full week cigarette free. Tried to quit a few times w/o success. Tried to switch w/ gas station cigalikes w/o success over the last five years. Finally, I got a v2 with a refillable carto two weeks ago and quickly moved to 650's with a T3'D and Mini Protank. They seem to be working.

congratulations6.gif

:thumb:
Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread