Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Bronze, that was real nice of you. There are so many now that will lie about that stuff. I had a guy do that to me at the library a few years ago. He was driving a Lexus or something like that. Gave me a sob story. He wanted my address to pay me back. HA. I never got a penny back. It was for his kid's medication. This is the kind of thing where you want to help people, but not crooks. If they are really in need, I can just give them a few bucks. He got like 20 from me. I thought well I will get it back, he seems well to do. The funny thing is, I drive an old truck, and am not well off by any wild stretch of the imagination. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself, if someone really needed help, and I said no. I have given small amounts of money to different people over the years. Not as much now, as in the past. A friend said why are you doing that? They could just go to the homeless shelter and get food, or whatever. But I deep down thought it was a religious test. I did not want to disappoint. The way things are now, so many will prey on people who have a good decent heart. I think you did the right thing. I hope she was not telling you a big lie. Regardless you had to follow your heart. Let her live with the guilt if she lied. You will sleep better tonight regardless.
And that's what it boils down to. What can you live with. I think the vast majority of people would help someone truly in need. Particularly when there is a baby's life in the mix. I've always felt the biggest responsibility of society is to protect and care for the vulnerable. Who is more vulnerable among us than a child? This is why I find those who would harm a child to be the worst form of life.

Good morning Army!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
@ Bronze Thats a good thing you did today, er um yesterday now. I'm a little less skeptical as I get older when it comes to helping people. I used to give out cash but started carrying around gift cards to avoid the possibility it might get used for drugs or alcohol.
Also I personally would have called the police and had them come to the parking lot where you were to MAKE her file a report. This way, theres a record of what transpired, especially with that baby in her care. Anyway you're blessed for having a heart, stay unjaded :)

Sent from my  ☏
The gift card is a good idea. I encountered street bums every day during my undergrad days. School was downtown Chicago and the train station was a mile away. Instead of giving the beggars money I would walk them in a diner and give the money to the waitress and let him order a meal.

I thought of calling the police but thought it best just to get her out of town quickly. Texas and North Carolina are far apart. If she gets back to Texas and stays away that will solve the problem. At least as long as she stays out.

It's exhausting. I don't know how anyone balances kids and work, day care costs more than most people make, then what do you do on snow days/ sick days/ early release days? Jobs don't like you being off work for these things, and most are very inflexible on hours. I don't know how people do it at all.

As for me, I'm going back to stay at home mom because nothing else works. Will try to look into work from home stuff or something, but I doubt I'm qualified for anything. Honestly trying to make this job work with our family has been a nightmare

One day I'll officially add it up, but I spent around a college education (~$40K) paying for child care/afterschool care for my son over ten years. :eek: And thank goodness for my Mom...she was truly the only way I made it as a working single Mom with a young child. :wub: And oh the guilt...guilt for thinking my son is doing without, or doesn't have what other kids have, or missing an involved Dad in his life, or spending summers in daycare, etc. And the sleep deprivation! :shock: Late nights. The worry.

Man! This conversation is making me realize we are lucky to be happy and healthy, and have the basics in life, and lots of love.

*HUG*

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
One day I'll officially add it up, but I spent around a college education (~$40K) paying for child care/afterschool care for my son over ten years. :eek: And thank goodness for my Mom...she was truly the only way I made it as a working single Mom with a young child. :wub: And oh the guilt...guilt for thinking my son is doing without, or doesn't have what other kids have, or missing an involved Dad in his life, or spending summers in daycare, etc. And the sleep deprivation! :shock: Late nights. The worry.

Man! This conversation is making me realize we are lucky to be happy and healthy, and have the basics in life, and lots of love.

*HUG*
RJ, you are such an inspiration to those who know you. You ROCK honey! Honestly, freaking ROCK.

:headbang: You deserve a big {HUG} and all the happiness in the world.

EDIT: Morning Army, I feel I need to make an amendment to this post by saying I believe all the gals here are outstanding ladies. Y'all ROCK! Don't know what we would do without you. :toast:

Last edited:

Calve

Fat Bob Squadron
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2014
Sweet Home Alabama
It's exhausting. I don't know how anyone balances kids and work, day care costs more than most people make, then what do you do on snow days/ sick days/ early release days? Jobs don't like you being off work for these things, and most are very inflexible on hours. I don't know how people do it at all.

As for me, I'm going back to stay at home mom because nothing else works. Will try to look into work from home stuff or something, but I doubt I'm qualified for anything. Honestly trying to make this job work with our family has been a nightmare

You know, (just sayin), this is one reason why women don't make as much as men in the work force.

Just sayin.

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
You know, (just sayin), this is one reason why women don't make as much as men in the work force.

Just sayin.

Except that if women made as much as men do, even us single moms could afford quality daycare and wouldn't have to miss work when the kids are sick. Many places that do offer flexible hours find that everyone is more productive regardless of gender.

Depends on the situation. When I was still married, my income potential well exceeded my ex's. He even had some days where he thought it would be a good idea for him to be the kids' primary caregiver. Then his pride would kick in. There are some cultural perceptions that are hard to overcome. Fact is, I did go on to consistently make 3x his annual salary AND was the kids' primary caregiver. And before you think I might be a hater or hardcore feminist (no way) - I also consistently asked the court to reduce his support payments. I could afford it, and he couldn't. I also paid all of their uncovered medical bills, even though he was required to pay about half of it.

Just sayin. :)

Calve

Fat Bob Squadron
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2014
Sweet Home Alabama
Except that if women made as much as men do, even us single moms could afford quality daycare and wouldn't have to miss work when the kids are sick. Many places that do offer flexible hours find that everyone is more productive regardless of gender.

Depends on the situation. When I was still married, my income potential well exceeded my ex's. He even had some days where he thought it would be a good idea for him to be the kids' primary caregiver. Then his pride would kick in. There are some cultural perceptions that are hard to overcome. Fact is, I did go on to consistently make 3x his annual salary. And before you think I might be a hater or hardcore feminist (no way) - I also consistently asked the court to reduce his support payments. I could afford it, and he couldn't. I also paid all of their uncovered medical bills, even though he was required to pay about half of it.

Just sayin. :)
Oh I know, it's a pita. It is a very real concern of most employers though, love it or hate it. If I had a company, I would provide on site day care as part of their package.

I certainly hope none of you people thought I was in agreement with that line of thought, but it is a real concern of man bosses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Lol no worries I had a whole post there but deleted it. Didn't wanna offend anyone or make waves. Its just something I feel strongly about

Totally understandable to have strong feelings, especially since it affects your life so much. Don't give up hope though. Instead of thinking over and over that it can't happen, try to stay open to possibilities you haven't even thought of yet! Life can surprise you. I'm living proof of that, and I'm not the only one.

If we aren't expecting good things, we might miss them when they come. :)

LAwaters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2014
Oh I know, it's a pita. It is a very real concern of most employers though, love it or hate it. If I had a company, I would provide on site day care as part of their package.

I certainly hope none of you people thought I was in agreement with that line of thought, but it is a real concern of man bosses.

If you had a company, you might end up surprised at how many of your male employees would benefit from the on site daycare. These days it seems to be affecting all parents. Not just the womenfolk. ;)

Calve

Fat Bob Squadron
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2014
Sweet Home Alabama
If you had a company, you might end up surprised at how many of your male employees would benefit from the on site daycare. These days it seems to be affecting all parents. Not just the womenfolk. ;)

Oh I know! I was telling RJ it's a pita. Drop em off, pick em up, go home. When my kids were young we'd have to keep the babysitter even when I wasn't working in the winter, may to keep from losing her.

With that said, I still wouldnt pay a woman more than a man because they're just too unstable and emotional. [emoji57]

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
Totally understandable to have strong feelings, especially since it affects your life so much. Don't give up hope though. Instead of thinking over and over that it can't happen, try to stay open to possibilities you haven't even thought of yet! Life can surprise you. I'm living proof of that, and I'm not the only one.

If we aren't expecting good things, we might miss them when they come. :)
Yup I just finished telling hubby over dinner I need to make my own work ;) just need to figure out what exactly that is that works for me.

underd0g

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2013
MN

Users who are viewing this thread