Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGoldenBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
You might be surprised :)

Now this is a pretty serious tease, or maybe just a hint that Provape has indeed played around temperature capabilities and can read maybe 5 decimal places or more in resistance.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll be surprised and happy.

dhaiken

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok...yes, it's me again, the constantly confused one. I swear I read prior and even marked my calendar, preorders on Halloween. Now this post says Preorders Tuesday (although didn't say which Tuesday, but I'm assuming this ONE???) which would mean specs/pricing announced hopefully soon!

Unless I'm looking at the wrong year, which I've done before, Halloween is not on a Tuesday this year .Which day is truly the preorder day?
:rolleyes:

kates

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
United Kingdom
As I have to wait even longer for the white I am just working out different wardrobe options. I've wanted a white mod for a while but I don't like glossy or bright white or the idea of a 'glow' and I think this translucent (with just a hint of what's inside) will be perfect. I have just the translucent white drip tip to match it along with my Kabuki with white o-rings and I might even glass-etch the tank with snowflakes if I get it before Xmas...then pastels for the summer.....

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
As I have to wait even longer for the white I am just working out different wardrobe options. I've wanted a white mod for a while but I don't like glossy or bright white or the idea of a 'glow' and I think this translucent (with just a hint of what's inside) will be perfect. I have just the translucent white drip tip to match it along with my Kabuki with white o-rings and I might even glass-etch the tank with snowflakes if I get it before Xmas...then pastels for the summer.....
Someone else as bad as I am.....lmaoooo

HandsomeStan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
UK
As far as I know, the frame of the Radius would be muuuuch harder to make in Ti than the P3 tube was.

Edit: I asked a guy, a good friend of mine, who knows his metals and owns a P3 Ti.

R
That's a shame, I'm sure it's doable just financially unviable, made out of ti I guess it would end up costing a small fortune then. :(

Ok more realistic wish, stainless steel or carbon fibre body with titanium bottom, top and button plate.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
Pretty interesting device and looks classy. The choice of polycarbonate for the mid section could make for fairly light weight device. If the outside is ceracoted it should also have a nice feel in the hand. Haven't made up my mind how I feel about the 510 adapter sticking out and the +- minus button placement. Will have to hold a device in hand first.

If it is a 40W device, which seems likely I am not entirely sure I'll be a customer at this point. Already got a ceracoated rDNA which works rather well. Doesn't look as sleek as the radius though, and I always loved the feel of the firing button on my provari ;-)

I guess 40W would work for me and for a single battery device it is probably a good choice considering provapes commitment to safety.

If I had a free wish, I'd prefer something like a very small and compact dual 18650 mod with a bit more headroom (say around 65w) for those heavier mesh builds in my Genny (or more battery life if using it at 35w). If the Radius is as light as I think it might be, that could be an option without making the device overburdingly heavy. Perhaps something to consider for future development.

Don't mind the missing TC myself. Done 20 builds with it and it's not for me.
I'll certainly give the Radius a close look once they hit the stores here :)

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
It looks like the battery is on one side, leading me to think there is a bit more room on the other side, which will contain our Friday surprise. Safe bet it will be one of these options:
  • Backup hamster storage
  • Roomba interface
  • Mind reading circuitry
It is entirely possible it's a combination or all of these features, or none at all and simply bacon storage.

Friday can't come soon enough!

Second battery, but an 18350...

woodardjd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Midwest City, OK
It has not been perfected yet and until it has, we won't put our name on it just to say we have it.
Once we feel it's ready, accurate, hassle-free and a great experience, then it will be the right time.

This is the kind of thing that makes ProVape worthy of my money. I can hear Orson Wells. "We will sell no wine, before it's time."
No features get added based on the fact that it's "hot" or "high-demand" alone.
What I look for in a device is solid, dependable performance and a company I can reach in the rare event that things go wrong.
This is the reason I've purchased 9 Provari in less than 3 years. I've also given 5 away and sold 2 on the cheap so my friends
can have the same solid, dependable experience.
I have yet to buy a P3 or a Classic. But I will be online Tuesday morning.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
You might be surprised :)

I like the implication... :)

So basically, you've ensured the hardware *could* support a future upgrade (both CPU power, as well as ohm meter, likely borrowed from the IQ feature), but are working around the patent issue. Got it ;)

Reactions: redrebel821

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
So basically, never. Even with very, very expensive test equipment, it's difficult to get accurate resistance readings that far below 1 ohm. Other engineers in our shop who know nothing about vaping are amazed a cheap device is able to get readings to the thousandth of an ohm, which is necessary for temperature calculations. Even the slightest error causes a major difference in actual temperature.

To put it into perspective that anyone with a P3 will understand - IQ. Imagine that, to the extreme, and now you have an idea why people have problems with temperature limiting mods. I don't see that ever going away, but you never know.
Would a TC mod work better if the mod had a tank built just for it? Maybe some kind of sensors, that goes from the chip to the tank.

JohnD0406

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Just wondering, one of you electronic braniacs, is temperature control/limiting simply software based or does it need extra hardware to accomplish it?

Depends, and it's both. You need a fast enough CPU, which most mods without TC wouldn't need and therefore don't have, and you'd need high enough quality parts to measure resistance accurately down to a thousandth of an ohm, and you'd need enough RAM to store temperature curves. Beyond that, it's all software calculations.

If it's just software then surely it could be added via an update once provape master it?

It's entirely possible ProVape have over-engineered the Radius to be able to handle temperature limiting, whether they ever add it or not. YiHi was going to (not sure if they ever did) offer a firmware upgrade to add temperature limiting to the S-class, but they warned it wouldn't perform anywhere near as well as the M-class, as the CPU just wouldn't be able to keep up with realtime calculations.

Last edited:

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
That's a shame, I'm sure it's doable just financially unviable, made out of ti I guess it would end up costing a small fortune then. :(

Ok more realistic wish, stainless steel or carbon fibre body with titanium bottom, top and button plate.

I'd settle for just Titanium top and bottom.

HandsomeStan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
UK
Depends, and it's both. You need a fast enough CPU, which most mods without TC wouldn't need and therefore don't have, and you'd need high enough quality parts to measure resistance accurately down to a thousandth of an ohm, and you'd need enough RAM to store temperature curves. Beyond that, it's all software calculations.

It's entirely possible ProVape have over-engineered the Radius to be able to handle temperature limiting, whether they ever add it or not. YiHi's was going to (not sure if they ever did) offer a firmware upgrade to add temperature limiting to the S-class, but they warned it wouldn't perform anywhere near as well as the M-class, as the CPU just wouldn't be able to keep up with realtime calculations.
Cheers thanks for the detailed info :thumbs:fingers crossed the Radius is equipped in the hardware department and ready for a software update in the future then!

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

It's entirely possible ProVape have over-engineered the Radius to be able to handle temperature limiting, whether they ever add it or not. YiHi's was going to (not sure if they ever did) offer a firmware upgrade to add temperature limiting to the S-class, but they warned it wouldn't perform anywhere near as well as the M-class, as the CPU just wouldn't be able to keep up with realtime calculations.

To Quote Vape360 from the P3 launch thread-

A little side tidbit about the P3 chip. It's a 32-bit ARM system with 128kb memory running 5 million instructions per second. Anyone who says the P3 is outdated doesn't understand what's under the hood. We are not aware of any electronic cigarette on the market with that kind of processing power...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread