I'm 28 and have Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rkb56

Oct 7, 2015
I'm sorry about your disease. I'm a paramedic and all I really have to say is life's a crap shoot. I've said it before but I've seen 30 year olds in perfect health keel over dead mowing the yard and I've also see 90 year old chain smoking alcoholics in just fine health. I personally doubt vaping had much if any effect on your disease. More than likely it would have been the ciggeretes. I'm sorry and I hope all works out for you.

jessicanguyen

Oct 8, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1

gwapes6

Account closed on request
Aug 12, 2015
Honestly, it's difficult not to think that vaping caused the fibrosis if for only one reason. That reason being that I had 0 breathing problems in my life up until several months after starting vaping. I never had any bouts of asthma of bronchitis, or pneumonia. The worst i've ever had was the common cold. I never even had chicken pox though that isn't relevant here. Everyone that i've talked to who has IPF say they had a big bag of warning signs years before the disease began; such as episodes of labored breathing, breathlessness, clubbing of the fingers or toes, and especially COUGH. I had none of those! in fact, you all would be surprised to know that though I am overweight, I've always been an extremely active person. I played drums competitively and aggressively since age 4 and have toured the country several times with misc LA artists including Sublime with Rome, and Suicidal Tendencies. It's impossible to survive a 30-50 show tour if you don't have the physical stamina. So what i'm saying here is that there were NO warning signs for me. Which means that the damage I was doing with the vaping was instant and in real time.

I've read some other complaints that people have expressed in this subforum and am seeing some of the same complaints that I had in the beginning that I ignored. I also see the constant vitrol of people saying 'THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION. PROVE IT' to those people. So many of you treat people with a health concern like they came straight from big tobacco to come ruin your fun. I mean what do you think? I started vaping with the sole purpose of getting lung disease so I can lobby against that thing you love just because i'm evil?

NO. The truth is, my life has been ruined by something that everyone around me said was safe. Now I can never feel the satisfaction of a breath of fresh air again. I'm so short of breath I'm afraid to leave the house. My 7 year old daughter is losing her daddy. Of course i'm angry and bitter. It would be insane if I wasn't. But that doesn't make me some evil guy from Big Tobacco.

Bottom line is I will spare no expense in proving that my fibrosis was caused by vaping. If they have to rip my lungs out after death and examine them then so be it. I'm not going to let something kill me and get away with it. Would you?

Rkb56

Oct 7, 2015
Honestly, it's difficult not to think that vaping caused the fibrosis if for only one reason. That reason being that I had 0 breathing problems in my life up until several months after starting vaping. I never had any bouts of asthma of bronchitis, or pneumonia. The worst i've ever had was the common cold. I never even had chicken pox though that isn't relevant here. Everyone that i've talked to who has IPF say they had a big bag of warning signs years before the disease began; such as episodes of labored breathing, breathlessness, clubbing of the fingers or toes, and especially COUGH. I had none of those! in fact, you all would be surprised to know that though I am overweight, I've always been an extremely active person. I played drums competitively and aggressively since age 4 and have toured the country several times with misc LA artists including Sublime with Rome, and Suicidal Tendencies. It's impossible to survive a 30-50 show tour if you don't have the physical stamina. So what i'm saying here is that there were NO warning signs for me. Which means that the damage I was doing with the vaping was instant and in real time.

I've read some other complaints that people have expressed in this subforum and am seeing some of the same complaints that I had in the beginning that I ignored. I also see the constant vitrol of people saying 'THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION. PROVE IT' to those people. So many of you treat people with a health concern like they came straight from big tobacco to come ruin your fun. I mean what do you think? I started vaping with the sole purpose of getting lung disease so I can lobby against that thing you love just because i'm evil?

NO. The truth is, my life has been ruined by something that everyone around me said was safe. Now I can never feel the satisfaction of a breath of fresh air again. I'm so short of breath I'm afraid to leave the house. My 7 year old daughter is losing her daddy. Of course i'm angry and bitter. It would be insane if I wasn't. But that doesn't make me some evil guy from Big Tobacco.

Bottom line is I will spare no expense in proving that my fibrosis was caused by vaping. If they have to rip my lungs out after death and examine them then so be it. I'm not going to let something kill me and get away with it. Would you?
I feel you. I see people with terminal illnesses daily. It's always disbelief and anger. If you can prove or find links saying that vaping caused or contributed to it I'd love to see them so i can pass that information along to patients. I hope with what ever happens you're able to find peace.

Reactions: gwapes6

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate and Rude

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
He had no signs up until 2 months before he died.
He must have had zero sense of his body. Every story i've read about lung disease there was always SOME WARNING. I'm calling BS.
. Makes me wonder what big tobacco is paying you to pass the blame...
Don't be stupid. What good is money to me now that i'm dying? I'll never be able to enjoy it. Big Tobacco couldn't bribe me with ANY amount of money.

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife

singalong

Oct 20, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for sharing your story. I just wanted to tell you to hang in there, and live every day to the fullest. I hope that your medical records will be useful to researchers who are studying the safety of vaping. It's unfortunate that the vaping community cultivates such a strong sense of denial whenever faced with cases like yours.

Reactions: gwapes6

SomeTexan

Moved On
Jun 1, 2015
  • Deleted by classwife

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
Made a video but it wound up being too long and rambly. With the help of some users i've only recently realized that my lung disease was caused by 'improper vaping' and not vaping in general. I didn't understand that nicotine strength directly related to the hit. Long story short I was lung ripping 18 mg flavorless juice all day for many months. I didn't understand why it was so harsh but got used to it. I feel so stupid now. The vape shops in my area always said that 18 was 'medium'. I didn't know any better and therefore have payed the ultimate price of destroying my lungs. So before I get trolled up the rear for being an idiot, I hope everyone can understand the balls it has taken to admit that I was wrong. Thank you to the users that messaged me and informed me of the mistake I made. The moral of the story is: Do your research before you get into something. I thought I did. But I guess it wasn't enough.

Last edited:

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
sorry if I repeat anything already said.

My father unfornately had the same thing and lost his life to it. His cause was being overweight and unable to exercise from advance rumatoid arthritis. He had 14 joint replacements.

In my opinion you may need a second opinion just to confirm anything dire. It really does sound however that your condition can be improved through diet and excersie. I also almost want to say you should get your stomach stapled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
Hello everyone. I just want everyone to know i've been reading the posts. Since my first post i've been contacted by many people looking to use my story for their own agendas and are asking for my personal medical records of visits/tests/etc. I've even gotten a couple anonymous death threats telling me to keep my mouth shut. I want everyone to know that I have requested my records and plan to release them as soon as I can HERE not on some website or whatever. The only real delay is the 50$ fee to request the records in the first place. My condition is rapidly worsening and I am so breathless that I can hardly function. This .... is no joke man. The constant shortness of breath is not only bothersome but absolutely terrifying. What I didn't know is that it's not bad enough that you feel like you can't get any air with lung disease BUT it becomes harder and harder to TAKE A BREATH; that has been the most scary part in all this. The best way to describe it is hold your breath until you get that 'emergency' feeling that you need to take a breath, now hold it for about 10 seconds longer and that's my baseline. I cry my eyes out every single day but lately I don't have the breath so the tears just fall. I just got back from the ER a couple days ago where I went for a breathing treatment and I wound up catching a head cold that turned into pneumonia because I have lost a lot of coughing power. Anyways, the addiction of smoking/vaping is nothing compared to the constant feeling of suffocation that literally disabled my life. I just can't get over how ....ed up it is that we don't feel breathless until irreversible damage has already occured. For being so important and vital, our lungs should be able to repair themselves for god sakes.

I feel you and I am sincerely sorry about your disease. Unfortunately, and as many diseases, the causes are multiple. I was diagnose with lung cancer about 3 years ago, at a relatively early stage though. If I hadn't picked it up before I started vaping, I would have, most likely, associated vaping as a contributing factor but not as the only factor. Even though cigarettes was a contributing factor, I also worked for 13 years in buildings with asbestos, I am also diabetic, use to work with radioactive material, had an immunosuppressive therapy, had a poor diet, plus many cancers in my family. If one takes all these parameters, shake them, chances are that they all have contributed in the disease development. The cause of IPF are unknown. It has been linked to cigarette smoking but also environmental factors (gases, smoke, chemicals or dusts), other medical conditions as well as genetic predisposition. However, none of these provide a satisfactory explanation for the disease. You are pretty young to develop IPF... It would be a breakthrough if anyone could demonstrate that inhalation of PG/VG/Nicotine/Flavor vapor causes IPF in short period of time. I am doubtful in that matter but it's just my opinion.

llmercll

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
USA
It seems unlikely that obesity and hypertension would cause this. Cigarette smoking is a major risk factor, however. In fact, repeatedly inhaling any particulate is. What's your diet like? exercise?

Since the vast majority of vapers have (so far) gone relatively unharmed, I would guess a genetic susceptibility is the main culprit. IPF isn't necessarily a death sentence (there are surgeries and genetic tests available), but you need to stop inhaling anything other than clean air, immediately, as your body has a maladaptive method of healing inflamed lung tissue (it gunks up with collagen instead of properly repairing itself).

This shouldn't have happened to you, and I'm sorry that it did =/ Whether we want to believe it or not, all vapers are currently guinea pigs when it comes to safety. I'm not a doctor.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Don't really think he has this disease but man this dude SHREDS on the drums, just clicked his old youtube link and saw his profile, straight baller. Message me on here gwapes, idk how to message im new here, would love to talk music homie.

@casey jobe, Ive just looked him up on YT also. At least I think its the right person.

@gwapes6 , My heart goes out to you, You are young enough to be my son, in fact you are just a few years older than my oldest.

Last edited:

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
Small update: Since it has been some months since I stopped sub ohm vaping the high nic that damaged my lungs, I decided as an experiment I would take my new found knowledge of vaping safety and try something more realistic, a little test if you will. So I got some 3mg max vg juice and had a friend build me a 1ohm single coil out of my old SMPL mod. At first the experience was relatively smooth and pain free till about the 4th hit. Started coughing painfully and violently lasting about two days (I was not chain vaping so it was not a burnt hit). The worsened shortness of breath caused by doing this has kept me mostly in bed beyond miserable in what I can only call 'bordering on suffocation'. It's clear to me now that my lungs will not tolerate vaping at all now. No matter how mild. I suppose if I had a death wish I would try a cigarette and compare/contrast the response in comparison to vaping. But let's be real here. My lungs are in such .... shape a cigarette would probably kill me.

Last edited:

gwapes6

Aug 12, 2015
Don't really think he has this disease but man this dude SHREDS on the drums, just clicked his old youtube link and saw his profile, straight baller. Message me on here gwapes, idk how to message im new here, would love to talk music homie.
I appreciate the kind words but as far as the rabbit hole that is the LA drum shed scene, I am little more than a spectator.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
Small update: Since it has been some months since I stopped sub ohm vaping the high nic that damaged my lungs, I decided as an experiment I would take my new found knowledge of vaping safety and try something more realistic, a little test if you will. So I got some 3mg max vg juice and had a friend build me a 1ohm single coil out of my old SMPL mod. At first the experience was relatively smooth and pain free till about the 4th hit. Started coughing painfully and violently lasting about two days (I was not chain vaping so it was not a burnt hit). The worsened shortness of breath caused by doing this has kept me mostly in bed beyond miserable in what I can only call 'bordering on suffocation'. It's clear to me now that my lungs will not tolerate vaping at all now. No matter how mild. I suppose if I had a death wish I would try a cigarette and compare/contrast the response in comparison to vaping. But let's be real here. My lungs are in such .... shape a cigarette would probably kill me.

Hi pal, sorry for your condition.
As High Nicotine, im exclusively vaping, 2 years now. I used to smoke 2,5 packs a day for 16 years (34 now age), and i almost always vape 16-18mg, but i always use low vape devices, mostly evods and 11-14 mg on my kayfuns.
On the times i tried to vape around 10 Watts with 16-18mg, it was so hard i need to stop, the nicotine rush was so big i was nauseous and shaking. I really dont get how you managed to sub ohm large ammounts of 18mg, it is real hard, even for me, ex hardcore smoke.

Still, 2 years vaping, im still on 18mg, i much prefer to vape low ammount of heavier nicotine than large ammounts of weaker.

Anyway, regarding your condition, i might say (im not a doctor or whatever just a ex junkie), i used to put all sort of .... inside my lungs, brain, body. Smoked all sort of cheap cigarettes, cigars, pipe, hemp, even crack, inhaled a lot of fumes, sniffed glue, petrol and a lot more of ...., and now im vaping for 2 years.

From what i understand your condition is like a self immune disease, because no patogens are found and the tissues keep breaking with no know reason aparent. For the majority of people vaping isnt causing IPF, otherwise the industry wouldnt exist. What problably could had happen is the vaping or components inside vape like flavours triggered a medical condition inside you that could or couldnt happen in near or far future.

Also you said after diagnosis you tried to vape. I know its your life, your choices, but it would be better to have your lungs clear of anything. If it was caused or triggered by vaping, doing it again would only worsen your condition.

Reactions: Gazoo2You

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
@gwapes6
It is my opinion that in the near future we are going to start seeing more diseases surface in regards to health and vaping.... One of the troublesome diseases from smoking is that of lung cancer. It has been known for quite some time that smoking causes lung cancer. I have known lots of folks who have died from smoking related lung cancer, my Mother being one of them. Why am I mentioning lung cancer when it is currently thought that ejuice contains zero amounts of carcinogens? Because imagine the scenario where some vapers develop lung cancer and they were prior smokers. Of course, we can imagine what habit is going to get the blame and it will be smoking. But who is to say that vaping didn't trigger the cancer in the lungs of the ex smoker even though e juice is not known to contain many carcinogens? There are just too many unknowns and lack of knowledge about the complex cells of the body at this current time to think that vaping can't trigger cancer or trigger some other diseases (like yours).

+

That is a good question, because even before vaping scene arrived, long term ex-smokers that developed lung cancer were "sorta of" linked to prior past smoking. Some statistical studies shows that being an smoker in some point of life carries an increased risk of lung cancer for all the life. Its much like about clinical trials about nicotine (alone) safety and effects, usually it cant be isolated because almost every user is a smoker.

We probably will not be able to really see a decent statistical study on vaping, unless people resort to statistic magic or people start to vape without past tobacco use, which i cant really say, but the amount of people in this condition (never smoked before) i guess is pretty small or use low nicotine or no nicotine liquids.

albert zegiel

Nov 16, 2015
first, i was a smoker for 40+ years, all hand rolled tobacco, no filters...i just started vaping about 2 months ago, and i enjoy it and happy to be a non smoker too. i have copd, had a stroke (in the brain) and was to the point of not being able to walk more than half a block with out taking a long rest, i now use oxygen all day, use 3 different "puffers" and vap albuteral 4 times a day with a
in a nebulizer ..now, that said, since the stroke about 1 1/2 years ago i have turned that around allot, lots of nutritional supplements, cutting way back and then quitting smoking, and keeping up the work and exercise even if it is super hard. and yes, faith....and i run a bakery full time the last 40 years also...about as bad as smoking :)

i read all that the original poster said, weather or not "we" believe him, all we can do really... is offer links to information, tips, pointers,and support... we do not need to feel sorry for each other,... heaven knows we are in the same boat together, it does not matter what is to blame for our health problems, the only thing now is how we can ease the rest of our journey's ..(big grins).

I for one have been supplementing with Protein, D, C, B complex, creatine, potassium iodine, zinc, and MSM ..
(It has been found through supplementation, that MSM improves many health problems. Here are just a few where MSM has been found to be very effective: Allergies (“Pollen & Pet”), Food Allergies, Asthma, Emphysema, Lung Dysfunction,Read More MSM and Vitamin C - Alternative Cancer Treatments)... and quite a few others, and it is helping allot. My next step is to get a great juicer/extractor like a vitamix or a ninja and eat tons more pulverized fresh food and grow much of my own food too, you can all do this , and it is fun to boot.

lets just do lots of reading, studying, altering your/our eating and consumption habits, it is never to late, it is still a wonderful world, with lots of stuff to learn and do no matter what physical shape one is in, stop looking at all you can not do, or all that you used to do and can not... look rather on all you can do, and be grateful for that..it is better than the alternative..:)

so,... spend less time on what is to blame, and more time on what to do about it and having faith. if we / I do not, then .."I" am to blame.

al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread