Winter and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon from NJ

Feb 18, 2015
NJ, USA
So I was offered a job over the winter in Vermont. I'll be out in the wilderness most of the time. How does cold weather effect mods and tanks and coils and juice? I'm gonna need something durable, dependable, and with good battery life. What kind of coil would work best in cold weather? I don't have a TC device, but would now be a good time to invest in one? I have an istick 50w, which gives me days of battery, and I was thinking about a tank like a delta II or ego one mega because there's not much glass to break. I've been thinking about TC devices and I like the evic mini, and it comes with an ego one mega tank but I really don't know how these will perform in cold weather though. Any insight on vaping in cold climates?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Environment wise, your juice will congeal and thicken, that will affect wicking. Operation, depending on how low you will be working in, some regulated electronics only function well in an ambient temperature range (internal electronics not the coils themselves), say as example that iStick50w can function properly in temperatures of about -30F to 110F safely (example only). Do you need TC for a colder climate, not really, I know a friend who works out of state on oil rigs most the year, last year he was up in Idaho most the winter outside 12hrs a day, he was running mechanicals with RDAs and Kayfuns no problem, and he asked about durability and dependability in those conditions as well before heading up and settled on that setup. Sorry I can't be more help but at least give a little more insight to what you are facing.

Reactions: ReigntheGamer

Cannon from NJ

Feb 18, 2015
NJ, USA
Thanks... a custom pocket is a good idea. Are you's saying that a mech/rba is the best way to go for the most part? I have a dripper, but I'm just not into it. I like the convenience of building in a tank. I could get a mech and give it another shot... and thinner juice? Like 60vg/40? Would 70/30 premiums be ok? Still though, are tanks not recommended? I like simple 26g single coil builds around .5 at 30w, the convenience of a tank, a tiny bit of draw, and no dry hits, so I want a vape similar to that.

stumpfreeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Forest Lake, MN
Like the others have said, RDA is the way to go for extended times in cold weather. I am a mason in MN and trust me, if you can't keep your tanks warm, you will get a lot of dry hits. My REO is my go to winter vaping device with a bottom fed atty. And even a REO can be a challenge to skwonk, if you have high VG juice.

Reactions: KentA

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Higher vg juices will work just fine so long as you don't let them set out in the cold.

Winter before last I was living in a tent with a few weeks of 17 degree days, the big thing was to keep everything inside my coat so it stayed at a warmer temp than the outside air.

At the time I was using either my 901's or a protank 2, and all my juices are over 70% vg, most are closer to 90% vg.

Reactions: KentA

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I used an ego with 50/50 in negative 10 degree weather while snowboarding last season and was fine. Thinner juice will wick better in the cold. The tfv4 could have all different configurations and it's a juice hog so it obviously wicks well. Maybe use one of those with a thinner juice it you're going to be spending a lot do time outside

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
If it's extreme cold, I would go with a mech. Even then, try not to expose your batteries in the extreme cold. But they would be fine in your pocket. Remember that sometanks don't do well when subject to changes in temperature. Thrones that depend on a vacuum seal to wick are likely to leak of the temp changes dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread