DA Free Custard - Vomit Taste...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
FWIW - I found a UK FA post back in July 2014 that said "None of the FlavourArt flavourings on the FlavourArt UK website use Diacetyl, Acetoin, or Acetyl Propionyl." I didn't look back further, but I believe FA was at the forefront of avoiding DA/AP. The comment in July 2015 from UK FA seemed to refer to the need to steep (citrus fade and custard come through) rather than a recent reformulation.

As I said earlier in the post, I do not know when it happened, but it is a fact that FA reformulated their custard recipe. The original had DA/AP, the version now has BA instead. The UK vendor even states that the recipe was 'reformulated to omit diacetyl' in that very post you are referencing. So, it could very well be the case that they changed the recipe in 2013, but that is irrelevant to me as I had never tried the original version, just the version with BA, which to me smells/tastes like off cream/vomit - which was the reason for the thread...

So, all this probably just means that Dixie1954 is not sensitive to BA, rather than having the DA rich version of the Custard.
The issue still remains the same for me - I smell off cream/vomit notes in FA's Custard.

@WhiteHighlights do you use FA's Custard? Do you smell what I smell? Does it fade with extended steeping?

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Yeah, I think you may be right! I think they may have changed the recipe due to the panic *shakes angry fist*

Maybe someone else who has tried both the old Vanilla Custard and the new Custard Cream can verify this?

This is your comment that I was thinking of.. looking for old vs new custard. I may actually go searching for when the 'reformulation' was done. The postings on FA UK are very confusing.

There is also interesting info gathered from chemists at FA Italy about how they use BA in the process and how it is eliminated from the end product.

All that said, I don't get the taste that you do from FA Custard.

Reactions: Dixie1954

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
This is your comment that I was thinking of.. looking for old vs new custard. I may actually go searching for when the 'reformulation' was done. The postings on FA UK are very confusing.

There is also interesting info gathered from chemists at FA Italy about how they use BA in the process and how it is eliminated from the end product.

All that said, I don't get the taste that you do from FA Custard.

The first part was about the initial change (to remove DA), which we don't know when it happened.

The second part was a separate inquiry...
A whole lot more recently FA changed the name of their Vanilla Custard from (OLD) 'Custard' to (NEW) 'Custard Cream' and I was wondering if there was a difference between the two. The Custard is still listed as 'Custard' on the FA website (Italy), but on the bottle it is called 'Custard Cream'.
Being new to FA Custard I am unaware of any taste changes, so that is why I asked it as a question rather than making a statement saying that it had changed the recipe again.
I hope that clears things up.

The FA UK posts might not tell the full story, the have only recently started carrying a larger range of FA flavourings. I am not sure the reason for this, but when I was looking to buy flavours earlier this year I had to go elsewhere in the UK to find some of the FA flavourings that I was after, rather than being able to go directly to the official UK distributor.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
So, did you notice a 'stomach contents' smell/taste? Did it go after a long steep?

It IS entirely possible that you got a batch of bad flavoring.

I have one vial of FA flavoring myself that I know for a fact has "turned".

Because I know what it SHOULD taste like, and it doesn't. :eek:

I did not think that was possible, but sure enough, it has happened. Never happened to me before though.

OTOH, certain flavorings just don't agree with me. There are a few that smell and taste fine to other people and to me they are like dirty socks or something. Butyric acid IS a rather smelly molecule, so it is possible that something in that flavoring either doesn't agree with you OR it wasn't formulated right. Maybe try others.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
It IS entirely possible that you got a batch of bad flavoring.

I have one vial of FA flavoring myself that I know for a fact has "turned".

Because I know what it SHOULD taste like, and it doesn't. :eek:

I did not think that was possible, but sure enough, it has happened. Never happened to me before though.

OTOH, certain flavorings just don't agree with me. There are a few that smell and taste fine to other people and to me they are like dirty socks or something. Butyric acid IS a rather smelly molecule, so it is possible that something in that flavoring either doesn't agree with you OR it wasn't formulated right. Maybe try others.

That is interesting, I had not considered it being a bad batch.
I am trying out a few different recipes with it (at lower percentages) to see if anything changes, I may get someone else to try it once it has steeped to see if they taste the same notes as I do.

It does seem to be worse when combined with strawberry (FA, TFA or FW), other fruits seem to be less problematic.
I have also had this taste with some creams, not necessarily just DA free ones, so it may not be as simple as ruling out all DX flavours. :(
So, yeah, it may just be whatever it is that they put in the creams doesn't play well with my tastebuds, and it will be a case of removing these specific flavourings from my arsenal.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hey DoubleEwe it could be worse I have a very very strong aversion to Acetyl Pyrazine which is used in way too many flavorings and is not a *baddie* but it means I can not even do 3/4ths of all flavorings including a lot of tobaccos.:(

My aversion to it isn't all that strong; in some flavorings, it's ok, but it seems that many flavoring that have it, use WAY TOO MUCH of it -- it can totally overwhelm a flavor in some cases.

Andria

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Hey DoubleEwe it could be worse I have a very very strong aversion to Acetyl Pyrazine which is used in way too many flavorings and is not a *baddie* but it means I can not even do 3/4ths of all flavorings including a lot of tobaccos.:(

oh yeah, that is a strong one. People either love it or hate it. I bought a used REO from someone who vaped Aceytl Pyrazine and I was unable to get the smell out of the mod, tubes, etc. REquired an entire rebuild kit. :lol:

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I did reduce the custard percentage to 2.5 - 3% and it is a lot better. Still get slight 'stomach contents' smell, but it is certainly not as bad as before.
Strawberry still seems to exacerbate the effect though, for me it happens with other creamy flavourings when coupled with strawberry.
The other fruits seem to be less affected.

I was also getting dreadful acid reflux, which I am sure further amplified the 'stomach contents' notes. Now, (touch wood) I am through it, thanks to some EFT and a big bag of marshmallows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread