Increase In Cigarette Sales This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
My interpretation is that people are starting to catch on to the tobacco ConTrol con, realizing that the dangers of smoking have been widely overblown. This effect was likely triggered by the continuing narrative oozing out of official USA "health" orgs trying to portray smoking as being no more dangerous than inhaling fog (i.e. vaping).

Increasingly shrill but transparently ......ed anti-smoker messaging from TC isn't helping their credibility either. See, for example, a post by CDC tobacco on social media today:
CQuGI7AUcAACj35.png
Based on that picture, those pieces of garbage are also lying that loud headphones are no threat to hearing!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My interpretation is that people are starting to catch on to the Tobacco ConTrol con, realizing that the dangers of smoking have been widely overblown. This effect was likely triggered by the continuing narrative oozing out of official USA "health" orgs trying to portray smoking as being no more dangerous than inhaling fog (i.e. vaping).
This is something that I would very much like to believe is true.

Reactions: DrMA

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I'm yet to meet or even read about a single case where smoking (or headphones for that matter) has resulted in even a mild case of ear (sic) loss :blink:
I got a bad case of earwax once from wearing headphones. And I understand that people in certain occupations who have to wear headphones on the job get a tax deduction for professional ear cleanings.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
I'll take your word for it on the math. I was wondering whether any of the observed drop in cigarette sales could be explained by growth in the use of black market untaxed cigarettes. I couldn't see where that was taken into account in the source documents on cigarette sales.

One thing I did get from this was that it's not a simple equation, more e-cigs, less smoking. Gas prices, taxes, falling wages, where cigarettes are sold, all sorts of factors come in.
And all the while smoking stats are on the decline? Have a look around you. Either we are becoming a nation of closet smokers or just lying to anyone who asks, where there is no upside to speaking the truth.

Also never underestimate the tobacco lobby, state level tax revenue, big pharm lobby, and all of the above talking out of both sides of their pie holes.

In our little state of RI, one of the big tobacco companies threatened to leave if RYO was not essentially shut down. Guess who won that one. Just another form of.....not in my back yard.

Finally, with gov in the healthcare business, if you can call it that, escalating costs and all, they do have a big say in the matter. This includes whether or not we can have any fun and how, plus advice on how we are to live. This also includes all sorts of toxic ingredients in our food supply, and other environmental. Just check the increasing rate of many cancers unrelated to smoking.

Reactions: skoony

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I have to wonder if the decline in smoking resulted in the tobacco companies changing the way they calculate their sales in order to save face or they fudged their numbers to try to make it look like there is a gateway affect to help further the agenda of those pushing that theory. I know that sounds very conspiratorial but nothing would surprise me anymore.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Ecigs will do to the tobacco business what the internet is doing to the communications and media businesses. The reason willl be the same, economics. DIY is costing me 2.4 cents per ml X 5 ml per day (12 cents) X 7 days =84 cents X 52 weeks = about $45 per year for me. From $3,000 per year for cigarettes to $45 for e liquid? Vaping isn't cheap, it's free. $3000 after taxes is a lot of money for most people. I've written before, tobacco is the Titanic. Governments are just rearranging the deck chairs.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Ecigs will do to the tobacco business what the internet is doing to the communications and media businesses. The reason willl be the same, economics. DIY is costing me 2.4 cents per ml X 5 ml per day (12 cents) X 7 days =84 cents X 52 weeks = about $45 per year for me. From $3,000 per year for cigarettes to $45 for e liquid? Vaping isn't cheap, it's free. $3000 after taxes is a lot of money for most people. I've written before, tobacco is the Titanic. Governments are just rearranging the deck chairs.

At 3 packs a day, I'd be around $6500/year. I bought bulk, so my DIY cost is less, but around $27/year. (1.5cents/ml) + hardware of course :- )

Since MSA costs tobacco companies per cigarette sold, I'm guessing the loss in sales is 'alleviated' somewhat by that fact. Since the gov't keeps close tabs on that - they can't lie about those particular numbers.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
One of the biggest problems we have in this country is the faith in statistics. From presidential polls to choice of toothbrush.
Statistical analysis is essentially opinion.
Hand me reams of data and I can analyze it to say whatever you want. And I'm not even a professional liar.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
How long until someone in goobermint gets the bright idea to tax nic by the milligram and that $50 liter of nic that lasts you a couple of years costs $5000? :eek:
I have yet to see any discussion in the press of the extreme price advantage of e liquid. My $50 bottle of nic takes the place of about $10,000 worth of cigarettes. So a nic tax that equals the cigarette tax might be $100 per mg of pure nicotine or $10 per mg of the diluted mixture. A 15 ml bottle of 100mg nic would be worth $150 to someone who felt they required it. There must be ex smokers considering this as they stock their freezers. The drug dealers and terrorists must be giddy with anticipation.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I have yet to see any discussion in the press of the extreme price advantage of e liquid. My $50 bottle of nic takes the place of about $10,000 worth of cigarettes. So a nic tax that equals the cigarette tax might be $100 per mg of pure nicotine or $10 per mg of the diluted mixture. A 15 ml bottle of 100mg nic would be worth $150 to someone who felt they required it. There must be ex smokers considering this as they stock their freezers. The drug dealers and terrorists must be giddy with anticipation.
I have noticed the lack of discussion in the media comparing cost. This has become my
one convincing argument with people whom think the government is just protecting
them,the chillin', and me.
If I try to educate them on all the scientific data supporting the fact that vaping is
so much safer than smoking as not to be even a concern to any ones health and or
welfare, its the old to much info stare. When I explain I used to spend $15.00 a day
on cigarettes and now spend $0.40 a day or less on juice, then they get it. They
understand that part. It ties every thing I have been trying to tell them together.
This is also why I think the media is mute on this subject. If people understood
the money involved they might pay more attention. They might find out about
the MTS. They might ask, what have you been using all this money for and,where's
my cut?

:2c:
Regards
Mike

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Back in the 90s there was a public service campaign that fast food was bad for you. It worked at first but Americans soon went back to their rebellious ways and fast food sales actually increased , causing big brother to step in and regulate what was in fast foods. When they told Burger King remove trans fat, around the turn of the century , or be fined BK gave them the finger. BK finally capitulated when Americans wallets spoke loudly, due to education and not scare tactics, about wanting no more trans fats in their fries. I honestly see this "Truth" advertising through scare tactics as having the same effect causing rebellious younger Americans to accept the dare that smoking will cause their feet to fall off, or whatever. I'm seeing kids as young as 12 taking up smoking in my world,a total reversal of when I was younger.
As far as e cigs causing a more relaxed attitude, that's akin ,to me , to saying bottled water is why bottled beer sales went up, totally ridiculous and totally out of touch. These pundits really ought to try listening to the the folks their trying to brain wash.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I have noticed the lack of discussion in the media comparing cost. This has become my one convincing argument with people whom think the government is just protecting them,the chillin', and me.
Even raving lunatics in physical restraints and heavily sedated will pull themselves together and think when the subject turns to the money part of things. Besides people on the sidelines I think it's also the strongest case to be made to smokers, it's the issue that will stick with them after they've shrugged off the health issues.

It's frustrating to me that the DIY forum on this message board is buried. It should be out front, on the main list, and it shouldn't be dominated by the flavor junkies who make things appear impossibly complicated. What they supposedly know how to do is duplicate the commercial recipies which I DON'T care for because they are too too much of everything. I can afford to pay $300 a year for online e liquid but my simple home brew is more palatable and making my own lets me raise the economic issue.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So how much does all that vaping hardware that people are always obsessing over cost, including the parts that periodically need replacement?
Quality hardware is a one-time cost and doesn't have to be expensive. The only parts I replace are wicks, coils, and batteries. A giant box of medical grade rayon balls (a lifetime supply) cost me ~$20. I think I have a decade or more worth of Kanthal and Titanium in various gauges and I doubt I spent $100 on it. The first set of 18650 batteries I bought 18 months ago are still going strong and new ones cost well under $10 each.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
So how much does all that vaping hardware that people are always obsessing over cost, including the parts that periodically need replacement?
My 40 watt tc battery was about the cost of a carton of cigarettes. 2 sub ohm tc tanks , another carton. 2 bottles of juice that'll last me weeks, another carton. A years worth of coils is about another carton. ~365 days worth of vaping gear for about the cost of 120 days worth of cigarettes.
Where it gets expensive is when it no longer is for smoking cessation but a new hobby/addiction because we want more and better stuff. I've got a buddy that has been using ego style battery and evod tank ,1 flavor juice only, for going on 2 years now. $50 was his initial setup cost, he's worn out 2 more batteries and some coils but ego non vv and evod coils are cheap to replace so he's well into the black financially by quitting smoking. I see that style setup up about 10-1 over the stuff we talk about mostly on forums and compare in our local vape shop around here.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Why do you think I have 5 yrs' worth of nicotine stashed? I doubt very seriously they'll ban it, it's too potentially-lucrative for the tax man -- THAT is what scares me to death!!!!! Yet another good reason for reducing my nic level, so it lasts longer! I figured the 5-ish yrs at my former 10mg... but I'm dropping to 5mg for the cold months, and if that works, may not go back up, when the weather warms up next year -- effectively turning that 5 yr supply into 10. :)

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread