After almost 60 years of smoking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
I noticed something I do that must be deeply implanted in me. Every time I go out of the house, for any reason, I panic check my pockets for my pipe and lighter. Then have a moment of sheer panic when they are not there. Then I realize I don't use them anymore. Sometimes I still pat my rear pocket for that old wonderful leather tobacco pouch too. Old habits. The other day I was looking for something I misplaced and way in the back of the drawer was an old Savinelli pipe I'd forgotten about. I remember getting that one in 1966. An old friend sort of speak.

While vaping has completely replaced all my smoking with no desire to ever go back, I still smoke cigars and pipes in my dreams. I wonder what's up with that?? Still loving the new LP. The RM 2 came yesterday so I'll give it a try after I get tired of the little RM 8 (Derringer).

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
How long have you been vaping??? I used to grab for a cigarette often when I first start and realized I didn't have any, Now I don't even think about it any more.
I'm a newcomer! Only been vaping a little over a year.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Me too regerber,vaping just over a year. I wonder if having a pipe/vape device would help satisfy that 'old friend feeling'? You do know they exist right?
I have almost all squonkers, except one. I find having various devices, some with a stronger build and some with a lighter easier build helps satisfy my every desire to smoke. And cigarettes are always an arm's reach away for me{hubby still smokes}..but still I have no desire to go back.

kkiet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi
It totally fades in time. For years, I would look for a lighter and even dream about smoking, but not anymore baby! Wooo! It'll be 5 years this upcoming March.
That is awesome, I am getting close to the one year mark. Mine faded after about 6 months.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Me too regerber,vaping just over a year. I wonder if having a pipe/vape device would help satisfy that 'old friend feeling'? You do know they exist right?
I have almost all squonkers, except one. I find having various devices, some with a stronger build and some with a lighter easier build helps satisfy my every desire to smoke. And cigarettes are always an arm's reach away for me{hubby still smokes}..but still I have no desire to go back.
4ef43a815a3b5ad31b1095a3cfb33ea8.jpg

Got a few epipes....

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I still smoke cigars and pipes in my dreams.
Funny you should mention that because I often have dreams in which I "almost" smoke a cigarette(haven't had one for over 5 years). The dreams are strikingly similar to the ones in which I "almost" cheat on my wife of 42 years(haven't). In each case, I'm looking forward to it and fully intend to go ahead and grab the cheap thrill but it never comes to fruition for some reason. Now what the hell does that mean?

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Funny you should mention that because I often have dreams in which I "almost" smoke a cigarette(haven't had one for over 5 years). The dreams are strikingly similar to the ones in which I "almost" cheat on my wife of 42 years(haven't). In each case, I'm looking forward to it and fully intend to go ahead and grab the cheap thrill but it never comes to fruition for some reason. Now what the hell does that mean?
It must mean we are both normal!

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA

Yeah I have that women dream once in awhile as well! Haha.. I believe it's just your subconscious telling ya it's been awhile haha

Oh gawd I have that song stuck in my head now.. "let's get it on!"

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
Just the other day, I woke up and remembered in my dream, I was driving down the highway and smoking a cigarette. I've been smoke free now for over 1 1/2 years but the idea of a cigarette is still appealing to me.

Either way, every morning, when I wake up, I take a few drags from my Reo and RM7 or RM8 while I step outside to determine what the weather and temperature of the day feels like. The morning air always feels good :). Old habits do have a way of sticking to you.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
.....The other day I was looking for something I misplaced and way in the back of the drawer was an old Savinelli pipe I'd forgotten about. I remember getting that one in 1966. An old friend sort of speak.....

I started buying Savinelli pipes in the mid 60's. My favorite Italian pipes were those Guiesppe Ascorti was involved in making though, with Radice, Davoli, Vigano and later his sons... under the names Castello, Caminetto (special favorites), Gianni, a couple of the very rare short run Sergio's and finally his Ascorti pipes. I also had old Dunhills, bought quite a few free forms from Danish makers during the 70's when they were the rage, bought a collection of high end antique Meerschaum pipes from several makers, had quite a few Calabash pipe as well, and some oddities (like a collection of Pipo Nosewarmers, a tiny Baronette with a meerschaum bowl and ox bone stem and some Native American stone pipes). By the very early 90's I had around 200 pipes and decided that was enough of them. I didn't use pipes as much the last 10 years I smoked, but a Savinelli (I don't remember what decade it was bought in) was among the last ones I did use sometimes until going on 3 years ago.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I would look for a lighter..
    I'm just shy of two weeks + a year, but I remember and probably always will because it brings a smile or snicker to me, two days after starting I dropped my car keys on the ground one night and habitually reached for the lighter that used to be in my pocket.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread