Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I do BBC now and the me self. Kind of reminiscent of back in da day when news was, well, news. Considered a public service. NEVER a commercial. And if a reporter offered an opinion... he was fired. Later on (much later) they could offer an opinion but they had to state... this is my opinion.

And then the greed showed up and the "can you top this" syndrome began.

News, in the traditional sense, has devolved into "infotainment" .. the traditional journalist, or what we were accustomed to many years ago (Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, John Chancellor, etc) .. now focuses as much, or more, on entertainment rather than hard news .. thus, depriving the populace at large on issues that should be brought more to the forefront .. while, instead, we are lulled into a false sense of fuzziness by more lighthearted presentations, human interest stories and emotionally tugging or even charged language .. and of course, if it bleeds, it leads ..

What we see as "news" these days has blurred the line between straight news and flat out editorialization .. it has become soft news, in too many cases .. based on the Cult of Personality in making the newscaster as much a part of the news as the news itself .. in addition, the splintering off of news Channels into their own networks has fueled and helped foster the distinct divide we have as a Country today, by being opinion sources fueled by their own agendas and catering to the public factions that are fed what they want to hear ..

As a country, we have divided ourselves into an almost countless number of sub-factions, each represented by some form of media, whether it be TV, Internet, 24 Hour News Networks .. this helps foster the "infotainment" aspect of Network News as it needs to conform to a more middle ground, or blandness, in order to appeal to the viewing public and not disenfranchise any one particular group .. the groups have their own representation, as we all know .. FOX on the Right, MSNBC on the Left, CNN trying to stay somewhere in the middle, etc .. and the sub-factions go even deeper with outlets like the Christian Broadcasting Network .. all designed to reinforce, rather than challenge existing values .. tune in, and you are fed a steady diet of what you already think you know, thus, there is no need for deeper thinking on most issues, since the "Newscasters" are constantly reinforcing what's already in your head .. why even consider another side of the coin .. ?? This is one, of many things, that divide us ..

It all boils down to the market driven nature of life in the New Millennium .. large corporations focusing on cashing in on niche demographics and the information industry deciding to tailor news to aspects that will create viewer loyalty and sell advertising time .. and we are generally comforted with what conforms to our personal beliefs and state of mind .. when a tragedy occurs, it becomes almost a series of episodes, because we stay focused on the event as it unfolds .. yet, how many take the time to think deeper into an event and ask how and why .. ?? It, in my opinion, uses propaganda effectively, and thus, allows erosion of an already fragile Democracy ..

I now relinquish the soap box to The Most Honorable Dave, who, if he so chooses, can expound on why News reporting today is as good or better than it was in Days Long Past .. ;)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
News, in the traditional sense, has devolved into "infotainment" .. the traditional journalist, or what we were accustomed to many years ago (Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, John Chancellor, etc) .. now focuses as much, or more, on entertainment rather than hard news .. thus, depriving the populace at large on issues that should be brought more to the forefront .. while, instead, we are lulled into a false sense of fuzziness by more lighthearted presentations, human interest stories and emotionally tugging or even charged language .. and of course, if it bleeds, it leads ..

What we see as "news" these days has blurred the line between straight news and flat out editorialization .. it has become soft news, in too many cases .. based on the Cult of Personality in making the newscaster as much a part of the news as the news itself .. in addition, the splintering off of news Channels into their own networks has fueled and helped foster the distinct divide we have as a Country today, by being opinion sources fueled by their own agendas and catering to the public factions that are fed what they want to hear ..

As a country, we have divided ourselves into an almost countless number of sub-factions, each represented by some form of media, whether it be TV, Internet, 24 Hour News Networks .. this helps foster the "infotainment" aspect of Network News as it needs to conform to a more middle ground, or blandness, in order to appeal to the viewing public and not disenfranchise any one particular group .. the groups have their own representation, as we all know .. FOX on the Right, MSNBC on the Left, CNN trying to stay somewhere in the middle, etc .. and the sub-factions go even deeper with outlets like the Christian Broadcasting Network .. all designed to reinforce, rather than challenge existing values .. tune in, and you are fed a steady diet of what you already think you know, thus, there is no need for deeper thinking on most issues, since the "Newscasters" are constantly reinforcing what's already in your head .. why even consider another side of the coin .. ?? This is one, of many things, that divide us ..

It all boils down to the market driven nature of life in the New Millennium .. large corporations focusing on cashing in on niche demographics and the information industry deciding to tailor news to aspects that will create viewer loyalty and sell advertising time .. and we are generally comforted with what conforms to our personal beliefs and state of mind .. when a tragedy occurs, it becomes almost a series of episodes, because we stay focused on the event as it unfolds .. yet, how many take the time to think deeper into an event and ask how and why .. ?? It, in my opinion, uses propaganda effectively, and thus, allows erosion of an already fragile Democracy ..

I now relinquish the soap box to The Most Honorable Dave, who, if he so chooses, can expound on why News reporting today is as good or better than it was in Days Long Past .. ;)
[emoji489]

(Tapatalkese doesn't have a popcorn pic, so I chose frenchfrys. It was a toss up between that or [emoji494]. )

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
U got it, unc. But am I the only one who watches (virtually any) newscast that talks about what someone said and... seems like I'm the only one who didn't hear them say that?
It's like if someone uses common sense, they gotta twist it to create controversy and therefore... money from advertisers.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
U got it, unc. But am I the only one who watches (virtually any) newscast that talks about what someone said and... seems like I'm the only one who didn't hear them say that?
It's like if someone uses common sense, they gotta twist it to create controversy and therefore... money from advertisers.
Exactly! You both got it right.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
If you get an Atlantis, Aspire has come out with nickel coil dealies for them. Dealies is a technical term. :lol:

Thanks for the info. I totally understand "dealies" also "whatsit" and "doobie". :cool:

You'll have to have a different tank for temp control. The ones you have won't work. i was just saying you can use your mod with what you have, you don't have to go into TC mode. But it you do you'll have to get new atty's. If you like your Nauti's try an Atlantis. It's by the same people.

My "hobbiy" is about to take over my house! :shock:

Last edited:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Keep the camera ready!

Rats! Those airplane windows are small and low. Had to contort myself just to see the sky and could hardly see any stars at all even at 30,000 ft. Still looked hazy above us, but that may have just been the window, not sure. Anyway, didn't see any meteors. Our daughter's fiancee said the first time he flew a night flight in the helo with night vision goggles it was in the middle of a spectacular meteor storm. He said it was quite distracting. I bet!

Other than that it was a good flight. We landed at 11 p.m. so the ride home was nice without any traffic. It's worth getting in late just for that! Slept late this morning and are scrambling to get ready for a Miles visit today. We're watching him while our son and DIL go out for an anniversary dinner. They'll stay the night which will be a trial run for when we'll have him while they go to a wedding. We missed the little guy while we were in CO.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Hi! Does anyone know if the Draconids meteor shower will be visible near Aspen? I have been searching for information on what part of the country they will be visible. I hope to see it tonight!

I also love monarchs and could not believe they migrated to the mountains of Mexico every year. Now that would be something I would like to see in my lifetime. Beautiful picture!

If you go to earth sky.org (without the space) and sign up for their emails you'll get alerts with a lot of info on celestial happenings. Sorry I was too late to tell you yesterday. I was flying home, trying to see the meteors out of those little airline windows. No luck, darn it. Still might be able to see some tonight though.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
October 9, 1940, the day John Lennon was born .. although "Imagine", a great song, is so associated with Lennon, I'll choose to post a few that you just don't hear too often .. beginning with his ode to Yoko, a woman he obviously loved deeply ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
As John re-entered the music scene in the late 1970's, putting out "Double Fantasy" .. he offered up an explaination of why he went on hiatus .. many, many times, this song has uplifted and somehow added a different perspective of the hectic World in which we live .. "There is no problem, only solutions" ..

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Rats! Those airplane windows are small and low. Had to contort myself just to see the sky and could hardly see any stars at all even at 30,000 ft. Still looked hazy above us, but that may have just been the window, not sure. Anyway, didn't see any meteors. Our daughter's fiancee said the first time he flew a night flight in the helo with night vision goggles it was in the middle of a spectacular meteor storm. He said it was quite distracting. I bet!

Other than that it was a good flight. We landed at 11 p.m. so the ride home was nice without any traffic. It's worth getting in late just for that! Slept late this morning and are scrambling to get ready for a Miles visit today. We're watching him while our son and DIL go out for an anniversary dinner. They'll stay the night which will be a trial run for when we'll have him while they go to a wedding. We missed the little guy while we were in CO.
Yup. Plane windows are like mini un round portholes. And I think like a plexi glass or a facsimile there of. IOW... they get hazy.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
It's Friday, the gateway to the weekend .. so, mix it up, shake it down, crank it up .. boogie in your seat or on your feet .. because, you know what .. ?? We were born to Boogie .. my personal Theory is that, along with Sex, beating on a log and dancing around the Campfire chanting something was Humanities first social interaction .. and things have really not changed all that much .. ;)

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

Night vision in a meteor shower? Awesome, but whoa!

Yay! Grandbaby slumber party! Wait till he's old enough to build forts, drag all the pillows into it & appropriate the vacuum extention attachment to use for a light saber! Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread