Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hey just got excited..remember when I was trying to get this thread to top of Google search for "rayon wick" and trying to figure it out why the heck it wasn't?

Its been a while since I checked and not sure if it was just the new ecf site or something else I did.

But this thread is now finally #1 in google for rayon wick!!

Last edited:

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
OK guys, I'm starting my 100ml+ journey this evening. No pics available yet, I may save em for the new thread :D, but here's the details:

Aqua V2, single coil, 9 wraps 28ga kanthal spaced 2.5mm I.D. gets me 1.4 ohms on my ipv mini

Turkish tobacco blend DIY:

3% Turkish tobacco
1.5% 3-fives
1.5% Old Havana
1% TA Virginia
.5% bitter wizard FA

All INW, mixed 65/35 VG/PG, 14mg/ml nic

Wish me luck!

-Kingboomer

P.S. DAMN STRAIGHT I WICKED IT WITH RAYON!

Last edited:

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
Should be no problem boomer. Don't take it out till you tell me why. :)

LOL that's what she said ;)

And I'm looking forward to the challenge. I just pulled and dry burned the other day out of boredom, couldn't tell you how many ML went thru it.

-Kingboomer

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey just got excited..remember when I was trying to get this thread to top of Google search for "rayon wick" and trying to figure it out why the heck it wasn't?

Its been a while since I checked and not sure if it was just the new ecf site or something else I did.

But this thread is now finally #1 in google for rayon wick!!

I remember talking about this before, checking ECF source code and discovering they had subpar "meta" tags and "link rel" tags for search engine indexing. I just checked their source code again and it's been greatly improved. Makes all the difference in the world.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Welcome heliguy ! Glad to have you on board.. :toast:

Heck yeah it sounds like you did...
Amazing isn't it!

So if you don't mine me asking... What took you so long? What was the main factor keeping you from trying it? And what convinced you to try it?

Just when you get a chance... This will help me get this into more people's hands so they don't miss out.

Its a game changer. :)

heliguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
chicago
Well I have been vaping for about 4 years. I previously had a Darwin, Reo vv, and most recently a zna 30. Besides a Reomizer I use to play around with I haven't been much into rebuildables. Just a few weeks ago I was still using 801 fusion cartos and bottom fed atomomizers on the reo grand. I never really knew what I was doing with the reomizer.

Anyways I have been away from the forums for a while and was amazed at how munched things have progressed over the last year so the bug kinda hit me again. About 3 weeks ago I bought sigelei 150 tc mod. A Billow v2, and a lemo v2 and mutation x v4 and dove right in.

I have never read and watched so many YouTube videos on rtas and rdas in my life.

It somehow led me to this thread. While I waited for my rayon I made it through the first 125 pages!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Well I have been vaping for about 4 years. I previously had a Darwin, Reo vv, and most recently a zna 30. Besides a Reomizer I use to play around with I haven't been much into rebuildables. Just a few weeks ago I was still using 801 fusion cartos and bottom fed atomomizers on the reo grand. I never really knew what I was doing with the reomizer.

Anyways I have been away from the forums for a while and was amazed at how munched things have progressed over the last year so the bug kinda hit me again. About 3 weeks ago I bought sigelei 150 tc mod. A Billow v2, and a lemo v2 and mutation x v4 and dove right in.

I have never read and watched so many YouTube videos on rtas and rdas in my life.

It somehow led me to this thread. While I waited for my rayon I made it through the first 125 pages!

Thanks for the quick response, and we're glad you made your way over here. :)

People with no experience seem to catch on the fastest!

Cause its just so easy and forgiving.... As long as you dont have bad, I mean cotton, habits to break. ;)

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Any vacuum leak and it will pour right on through, up the juice channel and out the air hole.

Thank you very much Troll for mentioning that. Ever since you did, I racked up my brain trying to figure out where the vacuum leak was coming from. Finally noticed a tiny bubble just above the fill hole. THAT, my friend, was the source of my flooding. Air was getting inside and losing the vacuum. Wrapped up some teflon tape around the screw, and the flooding stopped - completely. Thanks again, you're a genius :thumb:

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Thank you very much Troll for mentioning that. Ever since you did, I racked up my brain trying to figure out where the vacuum leak was coming from. Noticed a tiny bubble just above the fill hole. THAT, my friend, was the source of my flooding. Air was getting inside and losing the vacuum. Wrapped up some teflon tape around the screw, and the flooding stopped - completely. Thanks again, you're a genius :thumb:
No not me, I just hate a leaky RTA. ;)
Glad to hear you got it resolved and can now enjoy it without worry!
:toast:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
My ss340 came in today from unkamen. I treated it like kanthal. Wiped, blue flame, wiped... When mounted, after the first shot of heat before it glows put the mandrel back in for a few sec, then light pulse again and reinsert. This heat treats the coil for me so it won't deform when its glowed. The coil is nice and stout and I was able to wick og style with a big fat piece to start with.

This thing hits like an absolute beast!!! :vapor:
One of the best in a while..

Stats-
FEV v3, ss340 28g, 3mm, 8 wraps, .83ohm

Vaping excellently in ti mode at 340° on the evic vt right now.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
If you are confident you wicked it correctly then it has to be method of vaping (not pulling hard enough), hot leg, or the juice type.

I'm currently doing a longevity test on rayon, stainless, TC, and NET. So far it's looking good, I'm 15ml in and don't have any burnt taste or dark backflow into the tank. Usually after 5ml I have colored backflow.

Hey 54, I'm thinking about trying rayon again to extend wick life with my nets. A really cool guy here on ecf is pif'n some 28g 430ss to me so I'll be twisting up some here soon. It'll be interesting to compare our wick life with nets.

My current setup is with STminis on Evic VT60's. 24g Ti-g1, 2.78mm id, 6 wrap spaced, wicked with KGD. I am currently getting 20-30ml wick life (depends on net) with tc. That's up about 5ml from my twisted kanthal builds. Hopefully rayon will extend wick life even more.

Meeting up with @Landman tomorrow in Conway. Hoping he will show me the proper wicking density for rayon so I don't have to experiment around so much.

BTW, thanks for pif'n some of your 430ss.

plewm

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
South Africa
can someone point me to the place(s) in this massive thread which shows some effective techniques for wicking with rayon. ie. how to prep/stretch/cut it as you take it out of the box, and then guidelines for amounts to use.

i'm aware that it needs to be quite a tight fit but that's about it. maybe there are some tricks from those who've been using it for a while.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
That would be an excellent thing for the top of the new thread, a usage guide for new converts. Possibly some pictures of Rayon wicks in various RTA's such at the Lemo, STM, Kayfun4 , Rose V2, Taifun GT & GS II and so on.

You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words... :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread