Fountain V2 Bottom Feeder: Squonk your Atty, not your Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Made the rough cut on the Gizmo 18650 and threw on an LPG switch, which I prefer to the bulky stock switch. With the new switch the mod can be shortened 5-6 mm for a total height to the top of the button of ~77 mm. To the top of the drip tip will be under 100 mm when I'm done. That's really short for a 5 ml squonker rig. More work to do on the 510 so the Fountain V2 can be tightened and always oriented to the opening in the cage. Outside will be shaped a bit, edges rounded and get a brushed finish.

I hold mods like this with the atty in the palm and index finger on the button. Held that way the thumb will be right over the squonking opening.

IMAG1308_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1304_picmonkeyed.jpg

screenshot-2015-09-23-at-3-04-21-pm-png.492785

Last edited:

The.Drifter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2013
Virginia
Made the rough cut on the Gizmo 18650 and threw on an LPG switch, which I prefer to the bulky stock switch. With the new switch the mod can be shortened 5-6 mm for a total height to the top of the button of ~77 mm. To the top of the drip tip will be under 100 mm when I'm done. That's really short for a 5 ml squonker rig. More work to do on the 510 so the Fountain V2 can be tightened and always oriented to the opening in the cage. Outside will be shaped a bit, edges rounded and get a brushed finish.

I hold mods like this with the atty in the palm and index finger on the button. Held that way the thumb will be right over the squonking opening.

View attachment 496183 View attachment 496184

screenshot-2015-09-23-at-3-04-21-pm-png.492785

Thats a pretty sweet setup with the Fountain on the Gizmo. Nice job modifying the Gizmo to accommodate it. I just ordered a Fountain V2 to give it a try on my Kato Box mod. Hopefully everything lines up like I envision :)

Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Thats a pretty sweet setup with the Fountain on the Gizmo. Nice job modifying the Gizmo to accommodate it. I just ordered a Fountain V2 to give it a try on my Kato Box mod. Hopefully everything lines up like I envision :)

Yeah, the lining up thing. Like I mentioned I'm gonna modify the 510 so it can be rotated and set with a set screw to adjust position. You could always cut little spacers out of tape/paper/plastic (placed between atty and 510) to get it to position right.

Reactions: The.Drifter

wabah58

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2014
Missouri
Well, this won't work on the Fountain V2. I should read all the specs. before I order. The OD is 23mm. :facepalm:

screenshot-2015-09-19-at-6-39-54-pm-png.491654

Darn, but Steam Crave does a lot of research and development to achieve the most flavor for atty's, so maybe give it a chance on it's own. I'd like to make one of those a squonk atty, if the 510 pin is big enough

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWestPole

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Darn, but Steam Crave does a lot of research and development to achieve the most flavor for atty's, so maybe give it a chance on it's own. I'd like to make one of those a squonk atty, if the 510 pin is big enough

You read my mind, man. A friend PIF'd me a couple of Fatdaddy center post conversions that I expect will work. Too bad I won't be done with my sqonker for a week or two.

Put a twisted 26 gauge build on my Fountain V2 tonight. :D Making me feel better about going back to the drawing board converting it to a side breather.

Reactions: wabah58

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Dug into my parts bin and rigged up a side breathing conversion for the Fountain V4 today, including a wider bore drip tip. Has two air holes lined up with the coils. Still dialing in the size of the air holes, but the vape is back to something more familiar to me based on my other drippers, none of them top breathers. Like it much better than stock. No AFC, but I usually keep the same setting anyway. Will post better pics when I have the light.

Parts: Food grade polycarbonate tube, Kayfun/Orchid glass tank ring, two-piece Kayfun 4 top cap assembly drilled out to 3/8" ID bore.

IMAG1313_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1315_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Very nice @TheWestPole after a great start with my fountain, the top air flow just really started to kill it for me.

Bummer. Would be a shame to scrap a great little system because of how it breathes. My current build (twisted 26 ga @ 2.2 ohm) with the side air is almost too much now. Might have lighten up on the nic or put the previous build back on.

Reactions: wabah58

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Dug into my parts bin and rigged up a side breathing conversion for the Fountain V4 today, including a wider bore drip tip. Has two air holes lined up with the coils. Still dialing in the size of the air holes, but the vape is back to something more familiar to me based on my other drippers, none of them top breathers. Like it much better than stock. No AFC, but I usually keep the same setting anyway. Will post better pics when I have the light.

Parts: Food grade polycarbonate tube, Kayfun/Orchid glass tank ring, two-piece Kayfun 4 top cap assembly drilled out to 3/8" ID bore.

View attachment 497680 View attachment 497681

I said above that there's no AFC with the side breathing conversion, but I meant no AFC when the air holes are aligned with the coils. You can adjust general airflow if you rotate the air holes to the posts.

IMAG1324_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1318_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1326_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG1323_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread