Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slendershy

Mar 14, 2015
Englan
So I started back at Uni this week and I'm already fed up and frustrated at people's reactions to my E-cig. Now I understand that the majority of people are well meaning when they attempt to tell me how dangerous e-cigs are but it's laughable how many people will also claim they are worse than regular cigarettes.

Last year I was diagnosed with bi-polar and hit a particularly low point. After I came out of hospital I found that going out and having a smoke helped to manage my anxiety. I smoked maybe about ten lucky strike a day for around four months. I made the switch to the electronic variety as these issues are not going anywhere and I really started feeling .... health wise so I went on a bit of a health kick.

Does anyone else get frustrated with these sorts of reactions especially after you've tried to make a conscious effort to improve your health. Now I know that e-cigs are in no way 100% safe but yesterday alone I was told that they have more carcinogens than cigarettes, e-liquids contain fibreglass and that they over humidify the lungs. It doesn't help that I'm a hyperchondriac as well but until I actually start therapy in the next month than the e-cig is a great way for me to cut down on the crap in regular cigarettes, start lowering my nicotine intake and also to manage my anxiety. In about the course of a year I will have started smoking, switched to e-cigs and then hopefully in the next month have quit those as well.

I guess partly I'm looking for a little reassurance but also to know that other people have to deal with this misinformed yet well meaning crap.

Reactions: skullblade789

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA
So I started back at Uni this week and I'm already fed up and frustrated at people's reactions to my E-cig. Now I understand that the majority of people are well meaning when they attempt to tell me how dangerous e-cigs are but it's laughable how many people will also claim they are worse than regular cigarettes.

Last year I was diagnosed with bi-polar and hit a particularly low point. After I came out of hospital I found that going out and having a smoke helped to manage my anxiety. I smoked maybe about ten lucky strike a day for around four months. I made the switch to the electronic variety as these issues are not going anywhere and I really started feeling .... health wise so I went on a bit of a health kick.

Does anyone else get frustrated with these sorts of reactions especially after you've tried to make a conscious effort to improve your health. Now I know that e-cigs are in no way 100% safe but yesterday alone I was told that they have more carcinogens than cigarettes, e-liquids contain fibreglass and that they over humidify the lungs. It doesn't help that I'm a hyperchondriac as well but until I actually start therapy in the next month than the e-cig is a great way for me to cut down on the crap in regular cigarettes, start lowering my nicotine intake and also to manage my anxiety. In about the course of a year I will have started smoking, switched to e-cigs and then hopefully in the next month have quit those as well.

I guess partly I'm looking for a little reassurance but also to know that other people have to deal with this misinformed yet well meaning crap.

All the time and even with family members at times. Just ignore the lessons and do what you want to do. Remember you are the only one that can change you. Live your life to the fullest!

Reactions: Slendershy

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Yeah don't worry about it, I get ball-busted at my place of employment all the time. If I get sick or sleep in or yawn too hard they always say, "It's all that damn vaping!"

.. But I'm not getting bronchitis 4+ times a year. I don't cough up black phlegm in the mornings. I don't have to go out in the middle of the night if I run out of cigarettes. I'm not spending ~$20 a day on something that'll eventually kill me. My co-workers don't see that.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

Sure :)

I deal with this all the time. Then I whack the students with my box mod and tell them to do some bleeping' work.

Reactions: Slendershy

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm a non-smoker who vapes occasionally to relax. My daughter has smoked for probably 20 years and has switched to vaping for the last 6 months or so. I am so excited that she has made the change. The thought of someone hassling her in the way you've described infuriates me. She's not coughing anymore. She can actually taste the food she eats and subsequently is eating much healthier. I'm so proud of her. She knows vaping is better for her. She can feel it in her own body.

I guess there will always be people who would rather listen to alarmist mis-information and wallow in the accompanying panic of the masses rather than listen to their own hearts and bodies to know what is good for them. Those folks generally revel in passing on the fear. It's not really about ecigs... it's about fearful people propagating more fear. I've often said, "It is an act of love to allow others to be as stupid and fearful as they want to be. I just don't have to participate in it." ;)

You have chosen to listen to your own heart. (and, by the way, the research backs you up) Whether or not you ever quit ecigs, you've made a positive change that is for your own good. Congratulations.

I hope that you have opportunity to educate others. Just don't become an angry defender of vaping as much as an educator of the ignorant. And to those who prefer to remain fearful and ignorant... well, allow them to continue down their own path and be on their way.

God bless you.

Reactions: Lost in Oz

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I smoked for over 20 years! I've been vaping for a little over 4 years. At my last doctor visit my doctor did X-rays and said my lungs were clear and said they look like I've never smoked. He was very happy when I started vaping. My coughing stopped and I've never felt better. I can go up stairs now and not loose my breath. I can go running again too.

These people making all these negative remarks are just repeating nonsense from junk science articles used by people who are against vaping. A lot of the negative publicity about vaping was started by tobacco and pharmaceutical companies. A large percentage of their sales have dropped because people switched from smoking to vaping. Money is their sole reason for spreading these lies. If people buy into these lies about vaping they'll either go back to smoking or use other smoking cessation devices like gums or medicines.

A lot of these lies have been debunked. Common sense goes a long way! :thumb:

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
If everyone minded their own business the world would be
a much better place.
But that will never happen. Do what you have to do for YOU
and no one else. Learn to either ignore them, give them
'the look', or figure out something snappy to say in return.
With most, educating them when they're already believing
this crap won't work.
Two years ago I warned most of my family members that big
brother is trying to tax and regulate these devices and to be
wary of any so called studies and reports that will undoubtedly
come out about them. So far my family has kept their mouth
shut, however I'm due to go visit over Thanksgiving we'll see what
that's like, LOL.
Good luck.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Oh, just out of interest - the top medical people at some of the top universities are all in agreement that e-cigs are many times safer than smoking. The Daily Fail (Daily Mail) mentioned 95% (from the BBC) but currently we don't know the exact number. Saving millions of lives is enough for me/us and even if not 100% safe it's better than a guaranteed life-shortening product.

The only people who say e-cigs are bad are people with a vested interest (£) in keeping people smoking and protecting the NRT products.

Oh, and the Daily Fail like to print negative stories to sell papers, nothing more. One that they say it's safe, the next day it's more dangerous than skydiving with flying dinosaurs looking for a spot of lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread