NYTS 2014 data

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
CDC quietly released a partial look at the much anticipated NYTS 2014 results. Among the most interesting finding (which, of course, they fail to note) is the fact that vaping prevented 2.7M kids predisposed to smoking from trying real cigarettes. As far as public health interventions go, this is basically THE most important development since vaccines. As an added bonus, it cost taxpayers nothing.

However, rather than welcoming this public health miracle, CDC spins it around, treating harmless, tobacco- and smoke-free vaping as if it were a "tobacco product"; regurgitates the usual false and fear mongering claims about nicotine; and, naturally, pretends all actual tobacco products are as harmful as smoking.

CQ2MfhvUcAE7pCG.jpg

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6438a1.htm?s_cid=mm6438a1_w

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
CDC quietly released a partial look at the much anticipated NYTS 2014 results. Among the most interesting finding (which, of course, they fail to note) is the fact that vaping prevented 2.7M kids predisposed to smoking from trying real cigarettes. ...

CQ2MfhvUcAE7pCG.jpg

I'm kinda Confused how it was determined that 2.7M "predisposed" Kids were Prevented for Smoking?

"Current use of two or more types of tobacco products was common, even among students who used tobacco products 1–5 days during the preceding 30 days: 77.3% for cigar smokers, 76.9% for cigarette smokers, 63.4% for smokeless tobacco users, and 54.8% for e-cigarettes users

---

What is added by this report?

In 2014, among high school students who were current users of each respective product, 42.0% of smokeless tobacco users, 31.6% of cigarette smokers, 15.5% of e-cigarettes users, and 13.1% of cigar smokers used the product on ≥20 of the preceding 30 days. Among middle and high school students who reported using cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, or smokeless tobacco on 1–5 days during the preceding 30 days, the percentages using multiple tobacco products were 77.3% for cigar smokers, 76.9% for cigarette smokers, 63.4% for smokeless tobacco users, and 54.8% for e-cigarette users."

Reactions: CarolT

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
In 2014, among high school students who were current users of each respective product, 42.0% of smokeless tobacco users, 31.6% of cigarette smokers, 15.5% of e-cigarettes users, and 13.1% of cigar smokers used the product on ≥20 of the preceding 30 days. Among middle and high school students who reported using cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, or smokeless tobacco on 1–5 days during the preceding 30 days, the percentages using multiple tobacco products were 77.3% for cigar smokers, 76.9% for cigarette smokers, 63.4% for smokeless tobacco users, and 54.8% for e-cigarette users."
I would assume by these statistics that our youth are confused by the same false
scientific information that we have trouble dealing with. Once they figure out
what is the more harmful they will run with that.
For the latest on this and more contact your nearest youth related anti smoking/
vaping ,org for their newest PSA's showing how cool it is to vape.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Reactions: DrMA

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
How many of the kids who try vaping go on to become regular smokers? My prediction is the more kid vapers there are, whether experimenters or regular users, the faster the number of regular smoking kids will decline. The numbers in that report need to be lined up with identical data from previous years. WIll 2014 be another year of record delline?

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I'm kinda Confused how it was determined that 2.7M "predisposed" Kids were Prevented for Smoking?
<snip>

Kids who try vaping are clearly interested in smoking. Only, once they try vaping, they'll never smoke, thus they're practically immunized against tobacco forever.

Therefore, ALL the kids (former & never smokers) reported by nyts2014 to have tried vaping are kids predisposed to smoking whose lives have been saved by harmless & effective ecigs.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Kids who try vaping are clearly interested in smoking. ...

Again. I'm not sure how you can Make this Assumption for All Kids who are interested in trying Vaping?

And It would seem the Opposite is True for the Majority of these Kids. Desire to use an e-Cigarette with No Desire to Smoke.

Only, once they try vaping, they'll never smoke, thus they're practically immunized against tobacco forever.

"immunized against tobacco forever." That is a Very Bold Statement.

So you are Saying that if a Kids tries an e-Cigarette first, that they would Never try a Cigarette (or Other Tobacco Product) later?

Therefore, ALL the kids (former & never smokers) reported by nyts2014 to have tried vaping are kids predisposed to smoking whose lives have been saved by harmless & effective ecigs.

Once again, I'm not sure how the Never Smokers lives have been Saved? Seeing that there was Nothing to Save them from.

Robmidi

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
Fresno, CA, USA
Here's the equation: People Vape=less money to Big Tobacco. Less money to Big Tobacco=less tax revenue to govt. The FDA obtains the VAST majority of its funding from the very industries it regulates. Not good. Vaping becoming a threat to cigarettes, so the "end-of-the-world" spin gets applied to certain "studies" so that the desired outcome results. Liberals don't like it when science trumps their preferred view of things.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
If I hadn't liked vaping better than smoking I'd still be smoking, I didn't quit for the health reasons or anything else. I just plain liked vaping more, as long as I have something to puff away on I'm a happy camper. I think that's why vaping is going to work and why kids who try it, who also have tried smoking, will choose vaping over smoking. If the younger crowd are vaping for the cool factor then by all means let them think it's cool, so be it. That cool factor combined with vapings superiority in the flavor department will steal these kids away from the tobacco industry.

Edit: I just asked my 18 year old son who's a senior in high school what he sees in his school as far as all this is concerned. He says there are lots of kids who are dual users and he thinks they smoke because smoking has the cool factor attached to it, not the other way around. The kids who vape get made fun of because vaping isn't the real thing, they get called loser and slangwordforcat. He thinks the kids who smoke see themselves as hardcore. Then there are the kids from the rural areas who're going for the "country" image who dip and think vaping is for sissy's. So there ya go, vaping is not cool in our schools over here.

My son also said that all these kids know that the nicotine from cigarettes "hits" harder and the nic rush from vaping isn't as strong.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If I hadn't liked vaping better than smoking I'd still be smoking, I didn't quit for the health reasons or anything else. I just plain liked vaping more, as long as I have something to puff away on I'm a happy camper. I think that's why vaping is going to work and why kids who try it, who also have tried smoking, will choose vaping over smoking. If the younger crowd are vaping for the cool factor then by all means let them think it's cool, so be it. That cool factor combined with vapings superiority in the flavor department will steal these kids away from the tobacco industry.

Edit: I just asked my 18 year old son who's a senior in high school what he sees in his school as far as all this is concerned. He says there are lots of kids who are dual users and he thinks they smoke because smoking has the cool factor attached to it, not the other way around. The kids who vape get made fun of because vaping isn't the real thing, they get called loser and slangwordforcat. He thinks the kids who smoke see themselves as hardcore. Then there are the kids from the rural areas who're going for the "country" image who dip and think vaping is for sissy's. So there ya go, vaping is not cool in our schools over here.

My son also said that all these kids know that the nicotine from cigarettes "hits" harder and the nic rush from vaping isn't as strong.

I have a similar experience as you in the first paragraph - never intended on quitting; wasn't 'solving' some "problem". Just curious mainly and liked the alternative.

As far as the edit: I understand it's one person's view and the 'So there you go.... in our schools over here.' also reflects that, and it may be an 'area' or something that may describe that school or schools similarly situated - depending on location, income levels, etc. etc.

Some more generalizations/observations - nothing in stone - for some, smoking might be the only 'cool factor' they have, so they tend to hold on to that. I asked my nephew (who doesn't smoke or vape) last year similar questions and got some similar and some different answers. At the time he was senior in HS in Mich. He said that most of the kids (not all) he knew that vaped, vaped 0 nic because they knew of the possible addiction properties and didn't want to get 'hooked'... but still enjoyed making clouds, etc., which I got, from his laugh, that cloud chasing was a bit of a 'cool factor' (against the sissy aspect, which he didn't mention.) Makes some sense :- )

Now he's been in college I asked if there were any differences and he said he's seen more vaping than smoking but more of a regular activity rather than an 'attention getting' cool factor - likely from older students who have been vaping awhile. Again - all anecdotal but interesting none-the-less.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I do think it's a general attitude due to location and local beliefs. I'm originally from the San Fransisco Bay Area and the "atmosphere" here in Indiana is so different. A lot more prejudices and old fashioned thinking going on, at least in my immediate area. It was sort of a culture shock for me when I first moved here over 20 years ago. We have lots of "good ole' boys" flying their Confederate flags from their mud covered jacked up pick up trucks with their girlfriends wearing pink camo. God, country and old fashioned values, even if those values demean and/or hurt others. I do think this attitude is at least partly the fuel behind the kids's attitudes toward vaping. These people tend to cling to the past and it's images of what's cool and don't seem as open to change and vaping is to weird for them I think.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I do think it's a general attitude due to location and local beliefs. I'm originally from the San Fransisco Bay Area and the "atmosphere" here in Indiana is so different. A lot more prejudices and old fashioned thinking going on, at least in my immediate area. It was sort of a culture shock for me when I first moved here over 20 years ago. We have lots of "good ole' boys" flying their Confederate flags from their mud covered jacked up pick up trucks with their girlfriends wearing pink camo. God, country and old fashioned values, even if those values demean and/or hurt others. I do think this attitude is at least partly the fuel behind the kids's attitudes toward vaping.

Could be. I've lived in So. Cal, Ohio mostly, but spent some time in the South in the Army, so I know all 'types' - they aren't all the same as the promoted stereotypes, but there are certain individuals who display them well :- ) In So. Cal and SF too :- ) In general, I find Southerners are smarter than is usually portrayed and more honest - and while honesty can be "hurtful" to some, I prefer that over, say, the feigned 'politeness' of the North East :) .... a hold-over from the English most likely, but it's funnier when they do it. lol.... I think we've covered and insulted about everyone now, so I'll leave it at that. For those in the Pacific Northwest, along the Canadian border and the South West - you get a pass on this one. :lol:

Robmidi

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
Fresno, CA, USA
I do think it's a general attitude due to location and local beliefs. I'm originally from the San Fransisco Bay Area and the "atmosphere" here in Indiana is so different. A lot more prejudices and old fashioned thinking going on, at least in my immediate area. It was sort of a culture shock for me when I first moved here over 20 years ago. We have lots of "good ole' boys" flying their Confederate flags from their mud covered jacked up pick up trucks with their girlfriends wearing pink camo. God, country and old fashioned values, even if those values demean and/or hurt others. I do think this attitude is at least partly the fuel behind the kids's attitudes toward vaping. These people tend to cling to the past and it's images of what's cool and don't seem as open to change and vaping is to weird for them I think.
Good story, Penny. Well, as the old saying goes "The old learn from the young," I come from a family of ex-smokers. It was my son who turned me on to vaping which, in my case is a lif-saving occurence. I smoked for decades and when I started vaping, I never had an analog from that point on. I'm 67, so cool is not an issue with me, but I'm sure some of my peers look at me like I'm from Pluto or something. No matter, I know vaping has helped me kick a nasty and deadly habit and is a whole lot more fun than burning holes in carpet, clothes, etc., and stinking all the time. Some of my vendors are in places like you live now, so attitudes do change. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread