Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
moanin', Voltillians.

Glad you had a nice time, Lizzie. Getting back to nature can be fun, but my idea of fun is calling room service, LOL.

I think the 15,000 post limit is a dead issue with the new software, at least from what I've seen anyway.

This stinks! It was 36 this morning with frost around the edges of the windshields on both cars! It was a tad cool for shorts when I walked Bo. Almost time to think about turning on the heat, yuck!

We took Bo for follow-up blood work yesterday and the preliminary results were fine. They're sending it out for culturing and we'll get a call later in the week with the results. His vitals were all good, though, so I think he's over the infection, whatever it was.

We went out to dinner, last night, with some neighbors to a "Chinese" buffet across the river in PA. What can I say, baked ham and pizza were part of the buffet. It was OK, fine, but typical "Chinese" buffet stuff, sort of warm, not hot, semi-flavorful but at least all you can eat. Brownies were in the dessert section and no egg custard. Far too Amercanized and we're kind of spoiled from being able to have real dim sum in Queens whenever we go into the City.

canevar

Sep 28, 2015
I wonder what Turkey is like today and how it differs from when I was there so long ago.

Yes, the political situation was disturbed, but I had no real idea of what was going on. My FIL refused to discuss it when I asked. I wondered if he just didn't want to get into a political discussion or if he was afraid of some police action or something if I repeated what he said.

All I knew was that the military took over running the country. There were riots in Istanbul, I heard, and one time students overturned a city bus in protest. I thought that was sort of pointless. If they injured passengers, those were probably innocent people just trying to get wherever they were going.

In retaliation, I heard, the police would tackle any long-haired hippie type and cut his hair right on the street, whether or not he was involved in any political unrest or not.

But where I lived, it seemed far away. There were no signs of such troubles, though I heard from time to time there was a curfew and people had to stay in at night. We never went anywhere at night anyway, so it hardly mattered to me. A friend, another American married to a Turk, said one day she was taking a dolmush into the city. There were checkpoints at spots along the major roads, where police would stop traffic and check everyone's papers. She and the other passengers all stood in a line, waiting to be checked, but one guy calmly walked off into a field at the side of the road. The police ordered him to halt and raised their guns. She said he would have been shot if he hadn't stopped. They brought him back and he checked out. She had no idea why he walked off into the field. Maybe to relieve himself, she thought.

I do remember the ringleader of the students was a guy named Deniz. I named my daughter that (before I went to Turkey and heard of the rebel with that name). I was told it could be either a male or female name, though it was more common to name boys that. But I wanted my daughter to have a Turkish name that Americans could relate to, and Deniz was sort of like Denise, so it fit my criterion. The only other name I knew was Selma, and I thought Deniz was nicer. Also it means "sea," and both her dad and I loved the water and swimming. I wondered if giving her the same name as a rebel was a good idea, and she did turn out to be sort of a rebel, but I doubt her name was why, though I did tell her about the guy with the same name.
I guess it is quite different now, I even can't recognize it thinking how it was 10 years ago. History flows faster here compared to the rest of the world. Such a shame, always in trouble, always disturbed, again in disastrous times nowadays.

Anyway Deniz is a nice name, both phonetically and its association with the sea. Yes, Deniz Gezmis was a left wing student leader who was hanged by the military junta. He is legendery, respected figure a bit like Che. Many parents named their boy or girl after him. But it is also a common name. I respect rebels :) I am sure she is doing fine.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
moanin', Voltillians.

Glad you had a nice time, Lizzie. Getting back to nature can be fun, but my idea of fun is calling room service, LOL.

I think the 15,000 post limit is a dead issue with the new software, at least from what I've seen anyway.

This stinks! It was 36 this morning with frost around the edges of the windshields on both cars! It was a tad cool for shorts when I walked Bo. Almost time to think about turning on the heat, yuck!

We took Bo for follow-up blood work yesterday and the preliminary results were fine. They're sending it out for culturing and we'll get a call later in the week with the results. His vitals were all good, though, so I think he's over the infection, whatever it was.

We went out to dinner, last night, with some neighbors to a "Chinese" buffet across the river in PA. What can I say, baked ham and pizza were part of the buffet. It was OK, fine, but typical "Chinese" buffet stuff, sort of warm, not hot, semi-flavorful but at least all you can eat. Brownies were in the dessert section and no egg custard. Far too Amercanized and we're kind of spoiled from being able to have real dim sum in Queens whenever we go into the City.
Actually, I just confirmed with Classwife that the 15K limit is still active. But if we get caught and it does get shut down, they start a new thread (like "Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #3") and very politely post links to either thread (the new one in the old one, the old one in the new one). :)

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I guess it is quite different now, I even can't recognize it thinking how it was 10 years ago. History flows faster here compared to the rest of the world. Such a shame, always in trouble, always disturbed, again in disastrous times nowadays.

Anyway Deniz is a nice name, both phonetically and its association with the sea. Yes, Deniz Gezmis was a left wing student leader who was hanged by the military junta. He is legendery, respected figure a bit like Che. Many parents named their boy or girl after him. But it is also a common name. I respect rebels :) I am sure she is doing fine.

It's interesting that Deniz Gezmis is so respected now. When I was in Turkey in 1971, he was considered a troublemaker. Maybe he was presented that way because the military had control of the government. I just read up on the situation on the Internet, and I still don't understand much of it.

I was wondering if Turkey is more modernized now. Obviously, you have a computer and are on the Internet. Back when I was there, only one family we knew had a TV, and we visited them once to watch it. There were no Turkish TV stations, so everyone watched a soccer game on a Greek TV station.

There was no color film processing in Turkey. If you wanted to get color film processed, you had to mail it off to Germany, and getting the developed film and photos back was very expensive because of high duty fees.

Very few people had a car. I think there was a Turkish brand of car, but most of the cars seemed to be older American cars.

Across the street from the winter house, they were building a house or houses, and most of the work was done w/o machinery. They had a donkey pulling a wagon to deliver materials, but I remember watching them mix cement in a heap on the ground, and then the men would shoulder a bucket of cement and walk up an inclined plank to pour it in.

Has this changed now? Does everyone have screens in their windows? :)

canevar

Sep 28, 2015
It's interesting that Deniz Gezmis is so respected now. When I was in Turkey in 1971, he was considered a troublemaker. Maybe he was presented that way because the military had control of the government. I just read up on the situation on the Internet, and I still don't understand much of it.

I was wondering if Turkey is more modernized now. Obviously, you have a computer and are on the Internet. Back when I was there, only one family we knew had a TV, and we visited them once to watch it. There were no Turkish TV stations, so everyone watched a soccer game on a Greek TV station.

There was no color film processing in Turkey. If you wanted to get color film processed, you had to mail it off to Germany, and getting the developed film and photos back was very expensive because of high duty fees.

Very few people had a car. I think there was a Turkish brand of car, but most of the cars seemed to be older American cars.

Across the street from the winter house, they were building a house or houses, and most of the work was done w/o machinery. They had a donkey pulling a wagon to deliver materials, but I remember watching them mix cement in a heap on the ground, and then the men would shoulder a bucket of cement and walk up an inclined plank to pour it in.

Has this changed now? Does everyone have screens in their windows? :)
I mean he was a revolutionary and for that reason a troublemaker for the rulers, but he got killed at a young age unjustly, so even people who don't share his ideas respects him. Strange thing about history, once you might be considered a villain, but decades later you become a hero.

Now that explains why all of my parent's photos are B&W. :) And now I remember when I was a kid, our tv set was also B&W.

yes, it is much more modernized now. All robots and A.I. doing the mixing of cement and touchscreens in windows :) . Drones pouring your morning coffee and cars are yet to fly and dive. People speculate about meteor mining and scientists started to think quantum physics is premature. :p Maybe not like that, but I feel world has changed a lot since seventies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I'm sure Turkey has changed a lot. It's changed a lot here in the USA, too. For instance, the boy I tutor had the idea that at some point, he could learn all the words in the English language. I explained how that wasn't possible, since new words come up all the time, and old ones go out of fashion. The mutability of language is something the kids don't understand yet. I mentioned how, when I was his age, no one had computers, so words like Internet, email, etc., didn't exist. Plus, there are always new slang terms that might eventually become part of normal language. Without even considering any other changes, think how computers have changed society! Recently, I tried to get an updated paper map of the city of Ithaca. I called AAA, which provides good maps free, and their supplier no longer makes maps of Ithaca! The guy I spoke to suggested the Chamber of Commerce, so I went there, and yes, they had city maps, but those maps don't have an index of street names, so how are you supposed to find a place? It seems GPS has taken over, and paper maps are soon going to be a thing of the past. Isn't that weird? Pretty soon, you'll only see them in museums.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

I still love a paper map. Maybe I better keep all the ones I have!

Well, we had a wonderful time on our hunting trip. It did reignite my desire to move somewhere else since it is so barren here!

The weather was great. Not too cold in the morning and warming up every day. It rained one day [a bit of rain] and a fair amount of rain overnight twice. Hubby and his Dad got several inches of hail when they were up on the mountain. It was pretty darn hot in the sun Friday and Saturday but not bad in the shade.

I read about three books.

I have some photos to download from the camera later today.

The new horse is doing well. I like to call him Pony Baloney:) If I say that to Wiseguy, he says: "I'm a horse, of course!" :)

The new horse is settling in a bit and I am able to get ahold of him pretty easily now. When he gets his lead snapped on, he gets a carrot in the bucket. I took him out of the pen and let him get closer to Wiseguy. He started chuffing like a stallion. I also let him get some grass and then he turned into a pill when I took him back into the pen and tried to get the gate closed. We will work on that. Maybe a carrot in the bucket when we get back to the pen?

I'm working on being able to touch the new horse. He will let me touch him but doesn't really like it. I haven't made it past his shoulder but it takes time and I don't want to push him too hard. It's only been about nine days of me working with him.

Last edited:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Wow! Tonight, Bill came home from work and said the Egyptian guy who makes deliveries for the Chinese restaurant wants me to tutor his kids. This business is expanding. Now I'm tutoring 4 kids, and I don't know how many the Egyptian guy wants me to add to it or anything about it except that I have to get together with him by phone or at the restaurant to discuss who and when. I may not be able to add them to my present trips to Ithaca, but I may have to see those kids another day, since it gets pretty late when I'm finished with the new girl. But maybe I could see his kids after her. Who would've thought I'd be in the English tutoring business for kids? It's amazing that I always loved teaching, and now, all on its own, this thing (I won't really call it a business) is taking off with no effort on my part, other than doing the best I can at teaching the kids English.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Good morning Voltmaniacs.

Yesterday was a busy day of getting Nevada to his new home and picking up the new guy named Glitch.

Then, just before sunset yesterday, Penny passed away. Penny had a wonderful morning of playing with the toy, having venison with her breakfast, snapping at a stinkbug and barking at the goats. I found her laying by the front door around 2pm and noticed she was non-responsive although she was still breathing. I moved her to the big dog bed and we covered her with a blanket to keep her warm.

It was a miracle that she came back after her first episode of passing out. I feel that the last couple of weeks were a gift. We had the opportunity to spoil her rotten, let her eat junk food and pet her and love her. We played toy often and she was the best toy killer on the planet. She got to run outside and bark at the goats and I didn't even tell her "enough with the barking:)"

Strangely, as we wheeled Penny in the wagon to the North Forty for her burial, all the critters watched solemnly. The goats, Wiseguy and Glitch the new horse all watched quietly as the three dogs we have left followed us. The dogs look very concerned as we gave Penny a proper burial.

We will miss her. Thank you all for being so kind when I found out Penny was very ill. Again, the last couple of weeks with her were a miracle. I am very fortunate to have had the extra time to spend with her.

On a brighter note, look for photos of the new guy and an update on how Wiseguy is doing without his buddy Nevada later today.

I loved that little ray of sunshine. The light of my life, as I called her. Penny made me smile every day. Ten years of happiness on four short legs. Penny is gone but she will never be forgotten.

I am so sorry for your loss! I just lost a little dog as well about a week ago. He got mysteriously ill and with no warning passed. I had no time to take him to a vet. I am thinking he had cancer though because I had a cat pass many years ago and and his illness resembled hers. He slacked off of his food (which was actually normal for him some days he'd eat half a (butter tub) bowl of food and others a whole bowl). The day before he passed he ate half a bowl. We were gone all that day and when we came home and went to feed him, he was gone. His father died from distemper late last year, so I know it wasn't that.

Well I go to court Thursday as a witness. I don't remember if I told you that we had the neighbors/relatives arrested for harassment (Was supposed to be simple battery but the police down here are less than what they are supposed to be). AND.... THEY ARE MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rickroll:
    :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

They are halfway through with the move and I am super excited! No more :censored::censored: neighbors!

Did I tell y'all that I have a part time job as a caretaker for an elderly lady? Well I do and she lives basically in my backyard. Their property joins the corner of ours in the woods. So I can walk there! After using the excuse that my fiance needed my car in case of emergencies for not getting a j. o. b., now I have no excuse!:pervy::pervy: It doesn't pay well but its enough for me to buy extra little things, and another thing I can say is that i am doing a nice thing helping out for so little. She and her daughter are both on disability (retired nurses daughter has a bad back and the woman is paralyzed on her right side from a stroke) and it pays very little as y'all might know. I am also going to help her remodel her trailer because it needs repair and fixed up for the mother. i have to help organize a bunch of stuff in boxes (storage items) and i get free stuff out of it too. They honestly have acquired too much stuff over the years, lol! Fiance will be thrilled that I am gonna bring home more stuff including clothes!!! :evil::evil:

SandySu

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2011
    Trumansburg, NY
    Celtic, thats wonderful that you are going to help your neighbors. Yes, even if you are earning less than the going rate, it's a good thing. Tell me about it. I'm sure the tutoring I do is way below the going rate, but it's so fulfilling that I don't care. The money I get after all the time spent doing lesson plans really adds up to very little, but I'm working with kids and helping them learn English so they can do well in school, so I really like doing it, even if I was paid nothing. Still, I charge the parents for the tutoring, since I think if people have to pay for something, they value it more.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Sitting down, facing forward.
    moanin', Voltville.

Celti, that's great that the PITA neighbors are moving and that you've got a little part time job. Working is always a good thing, provides purpose. Being retired ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Sandy, looks like you'll need a classroom next!

It was a gorgeous day here yesterday, clear skies, bright sun and temps in the 80's. I had to run out to Home Despot and had the windows open. Keep in mind I wear "cheaters" and keep them on a lanyard around my neck so they're always handy. Anyhow, I was driving sort of northwest steering with my left hand and vaping with my right, enjoying the beautiful day. I took a vape and put the mod down in the cup holder, then rested my right arm, short sleeve shirt on by the way, on my right leg. After a few seconds I had this burning sensation on my right forearm. I was busy driving at that moment so it took, maybe, ten or fifteen seconds for me to look down to see if something was wrong.

No, it wasn't the mod! The sunlight was coming in through the open window and being neatly focused by my cheaters right onto my forearm, like the old magnifying glass trick. My arm is still sore this morning!

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2011
    Twilight Zone
    Sandy, calling what you do for those kids tutoring is like calling a hurricane a breezy day. With the creativity and care you put into it you crossed over that line a long time ago. You're teaching a lot more than English. Valuable life and cultural lessons they probably can't buy anywhere else. I don't think any good teacher is in it for the money. I'm glad for you and the kids that you're able to do it.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    Celti, things are really looking up for you. So glad about your news from both sets of neighbors!

Sandy, you are doing great. Hopefully someday I am going to get situated like that. Will be nice.

Right now I am busy cutting down on my material goods. With a move upcoming, it is going to be necessary, and a bit of money won't hurt right now, anyway.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Celti - how great that the neighbor/relative situation is getting resolved by them moving! I am sorry to hear of the loss of your little dog. Dogs are precious. Your new job sounds just right for you even if it isn't a huge money maker.

SandySu - you have a new career with the tutoring.

Awsum - who would have known the cheaters should come with a warning label: Danger, these glasses can start a fire and cause second degree burns!

Zero - Yes, cutting down on your material goods is a wise idea before moving. And who doesn't need mo' money? :)

Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

Played horse trainer yesterday getting into the pen about three times for small sessions. I have taken off the old halter that was on Glitch [or Pony Baloney as I like to call him]. Of course I couldn't get the new halter back on to him. I worked with him by putting a rope over his back and eventually he would walk off before I could get the rope around his neck but it is a start:)

We played some horsey games. I got in the pen and walked by him without a glance and then stood by the rail. Eventually, curiosity got the better of him and he came over. I touched him, praised him and then walked away.

Later that day, I would say "come on" and he would follow behind me like he was on a lead. When I stopped, he would walk up but not too close. I would manage to touch him and relax and then walk away saying "come on".

Third horsey game. I walked beside him while he went around the pen. I got closer and closer until I was touching him on the back while we walked. We did that several times.

The nice lady from up the street stopped and said she could help me with a green horse any time, just call her. She was saying I could do this or that and mentioned releasing the pressure. After listening to her wise words, I felt like I am doing things pretty right with the horsey. I always get a few tips when I talk with someone about horses. She's the one that said follow him around the pen.

We are having great weather and I will be hitching up Wiseguy for a drive today.

SandySu

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2011
    Trumansburg, NY
    The other day the boy asked about Eskimos. I forget how the subject came up, but he knew about them from cartoons but thought they were imaginary. I just sent him this wonderful movie about them, Nanook of the North. If any of you haven't seen it, it's worth watching.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

The weather here is fantastic and I am enjoying fall. Looks like we will get a hard freeze in a week or so and then I can have Glitch gelded. He and I are still working on a relationship but I did get the halter on and off him yesterday.

I have to work today. A four letter word:)

Nanook is so fascinating. I watched this movie at an assembly when I was a kid.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Another beautiful day. I fed the critters, picked up some stuff in the yard, paid a couple of bills and got busy with my new little pony. When I feed I stand there for a moment or two so it doesn't look like I am running away from him by the food. Today it looked a lot like he wanted to reach around the feeder and show me his teeth. He thought about it momentarily and remembered he will get slapped on the lips for that. Then he went back to eating. I could be wrong but that is what I thought I saw.

We did better and worse today:) It took me quite a bit of convincing to touch the horse. In the end, I got him into the halter and he got his treat in a bucket. I left the halter on him so that I can snap a lead line on him next time I get in there with him. The good news, he is dropping his head down and relaxing more. He is still pinning his ears back sometimes and looking grumpy but no attempts to bite.

He is learning not to turn with his .... towards me. Whenever he turns wrong I gently pressure him to move out and walk around the pen. He is not attempting to kick me and never has so far.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread