Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Re-posting Quiz image for easy page 2 viewing.

movie-quiz_106.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, part 2:

#5: This movie chronicles two separate stories of Leonard, a former insurance investigator who can no longer build new memories, as he attempts to find the murderer of his wife, which is the last thing he remembers. One story line moves forward in time while the other tells the story backwards revealing more each time.

#6: In this moderately obscure, quasi-scifi flick, two documentary filmmakers attempt to penetrate a cult who worships a woman who claims to be from the future.

#7: In 1980 Miami, a determined Cuban immigrant named Tony Montana takes over a drug cartel while succumbing to greed.

#8: Caleb, an employee at a Google-like company, is selected to visit the home of the CEO, Nathan. But while there, Nathan shows Caleb what he's been working on: Ava. She is the greatest achievement in the history of the human race. However, she may also be the last. Artificial intelligence comes at a price, like everything else.

Hope these helped! :)

movie-quiz_106_5-8.jpg

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Nope, still no clue on #6 or #8. Also no clue why #6 looks so very familiar; I'm sure I haven't seen it. Brains are weird :confused:.

Happy with my six 'cause my memory sometimes feels pretty [HASHTAG]#5ish[/HASHTAG] :rolleyes:.

(...and I miss bob :(.)

The title of #8 isn't in English or any other "living" language, but part of a very familiar phrase.

Does anybody know what's up with Bob?

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
The title of #8 isn't in English or any other "living" language, but part of a very familiar phrase.

Does anybody know what's up with Bob?

Thanks for the extra hint, Pole. Lots of familiar Latin phrases, but I don't think I've ever even heard of this movie.

bob said he was going away for a while on his profile page. No reply to my pestering, naggy PM a couple weeks ago, but who could blame him for that :rolleyes: ?

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: The Wild Bunch
A group of aging outlaws on the Mexican-U.S. frontier face the march of progress, the Mexican army, and a gang of bounty hunters while they plan a robbery of a U.S. army train. No one is innocent in this gritty tale of of desperation against changing times. Pump shotguns, machine guns and automobiles mix with horses and Winchesters in this ultraviolent 1969 western.

the-wild-bunch_2_sm.jpg

#2: Good Will Hunting
This movie's title character is a genius who's living a rough life in South Boston, while being employed as a janitor at a prestigious college in Boston. A brilliant math professor at the school discovers the boy's gifts, and tries to get him to turn his life around. With the help of an empathetic psychiatrist, he begins to realize that there's more to himself then he thinks there is.

good-will-hunting_2_sm.jpg

#3: Big Hero 6
Robotics nerd Hiro Hamada discovers an inflatable health care robot, Baymax, created in the past by his brother. After a terrible, life-changing accident, Hiro and Baymax team up with four other nerds and save their hometown San Fransokyo from an evil super villain trying to take over with Hiro's invention.

big-hero-6_3_sm.jpg

#4: The Blues Brothers
Jake, just out from prison, and his brother Elwood are on a mission from God. Their divine charge is to collect enough money to save the Catholic orphanage where they were raised. To do so, they've got to get their old band back together to perform and earn the money legitimately.

the-blues-brothers_3_sm.jpg

#5: Memento
This movie chronicles two separate stories of Leonard, a former insurance investigator who can no longer build new memories, as he attempts to find the murderer of his wife, which is the last thing he remembers. One story line moves forward in time while the other tells the story backwards revealing more each time.

memento_3_sm.jpg

#6: Sound of My Voice
In this moderately obscure, quasi-scifi flick, two documentary filmmakers attempt to penetrate a cult who worships a woman who claims to be from the future.

sound-of-my-voice_3_sm.jpg

#7: Scarface
In 1980 Miami, a determined Cuban immigrant named Tony Montana takes over a drug cartel while succumbing to greed.

scarface_2_sm.jpg

#8: Ex Machina
Caleb, an employee at a Google-like company, is selected to visit the home of the CEO, Nathan. But while there, Nathan shows Caleb what he's been working on: Ava. She is the greatest achievement in the history of the human race. However, she may also be the last. Artificial intelligence comes at a price, like everything else.

ex-machina_1_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I've looked around, (Amazon Prime, on-demand cable, Netflix), but I can't seem to find Happy End anywhere. I'll keep it on my list, though.

Also, FantWriter, while I wouldn't say that I have a handle on your taste in movies, I can't help but think that you'd enjoy Memento.

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Also, FantWriter, while I wouldn't say that I have a handle on your taste in movies, I can't help but think that you'd enjoy Memento.

My tastes are really very simple: just give me a good 1930s comedy murder mystery! Or 1940s sci-fi. Or 1950s Noir. Or 1960s Czech surrealism. Or 1970s comedy horror.

If you're talking modern, it has to be odd, and done really, really well. Probably not popular because most people don't know what to think of it. House (1977), Killing Zoe (1993), Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), and La Femme Nikita (1990) come to mind.

Reactions: caffeinated

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If given 50 clues (each) for 1, 3, 6 and 8, I still would not have gotten them. But now all of them are ones I'll consider seeing.

My tastes are really very simple: just give me a good 1930s comedy murder mystery! Or 1940s sci-fi. Or 1950s Noir. Or 1960s Czech surrealism. Or 1970s comedy horror.

If you're talking modern, it has to be odd, and done really, really well. Probably not popular because most people don't know what to think of it. House (1977), Killing Zoe (1993), Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), and La Femme Nikita (1990) come to mind.

Memento is done incredibly well, and fairly odd. Really takes 2 times to see it, to really appreciate it. First 30 minutes will fly right over your head, even while you may think you're liking it.

- ETA: Okay, maybe not fly completely over your head. I say this after watching first 10 minutes of Happy End (a film I will surely come back to and finish)

Classics that I find myself liking a lot are: Double Indemnity, A Thousand Clowns and Psycho. I could talk hours about my appreciation for Psycho. Then again, most things Hitchcock did were between stellar and amazing.

Last edited:

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Do you get TCM (Turner Classic Movies)? On the 29th, they're airing Stage Fright (1950), one of the few Hitchcock movies I don't think I've seen.

Paramount now has a YouTube channel with a lot of their classic movies. This is some of them:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd0LhgZxFkVI7ds18u2o-qVluJfREYsIf
but if you crawl around the site, you can find others (I really don't understand YouTube's navigation).

If you're brave enough and want some really interesting movies, Mosfilm also has a YouTube channel. Mosfilm is Russia/USSR/Russia equivalent of MGM, except it's older and has a far bigger library. For those of us whose Russian is a little rusty, many of the movies are subtitled in English or you can get subtitles by using Settings->Closed Captioning->English. Some of the translations aren't great, but they're good enough.

One of my favorites:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread