Inawera flavour help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Recently mixed up both a Strawberry Custard and lone Strawberry and they smell great! Problem is there is next to no flavour at all, they have been steeping for a week or so now, recommended percentages across the board, 70/30 vg pg mixes.
Any help would be appreciated!

I am no master mixer, but tastes are subjective, so just b/c you used the recommended percentages, doesn't mean you'll be happy with the results. Those are only guidelines. If it has no taste [on the equip you usually vape on], you will need to increase percentages.

This is a basic guideline I found here (re-written and sorry I can't quote the person who posted it, but it helped me mixing my own flavors)... it goes like this:

For trial testing:

1. 20 drops VG (or your perferred VG/PG ratio) to vial + 1 drop flavoring = 5%

2. Shake mixture and add 3 drops to coil to test. (Dripper is preferred for testing but drippers pass more flavor along than a tank, so bear that in mind.)

If that is not strong enough continue in this manner...

3. Add two drops VG/PG to test vial + 1 more drop flavoring = 10% concentration.

4. Shake and add 3 drops to coil to test.

If not strong enough....

5. Add two drops VG/PG + 1 more drop of flavoring for 15% concentration, etc.

Always add enough VG/PG to maintain the same ratio in the test vial, when adding more flavor drops. Keep a tally of the drops added, then calculate the amount needed for making 30ml or whatever amount you want.

Also note some flavors are super strong and even 5% might be too much to start. In this case you can add 20ml VG/PG to the vial after testing at 5%, diluting it to 2.5% and test the flavor here... if still too strong, add 20ml VG/PG again to dilute by half again (to 1.25%).

In your case at this point I would simply add more of the flavor needed... if you need both, add both. Steeping usually takes the edge off flavors and develops some subtle flavors more fully (like tobacco flavors), but for Straberry Cream, if the flavor is tasteless before steeping, it won't increase the flavor to steep imo.

Reactions: Kenna

kayuuelbee

Oct 8, 2015
I am no master mixer, but tastes are subjective, so just b/c you used the recommended percentages, doesn't mean you'll be happy with the results. Those are only guidelines. If it has no taste [on the equip you usually vape on], you will need to increase percentages.

This is a basic guideline I found here (re-written and sorry I can't quote the person who posted it, but it helped me mixing my own flavors)... it goes like this:

For trial testing:

1. 20 drops VG (or your perferred VG/PG ratio) to vial + 1 drop flavoring = 5%

2. Shake mixture and add 3 drops to coil to test. (Dripper is preferred for testing but drippers pass more flavor along than a tank, so bear that in mind.)

If that is not strong enough continue in this manner...

3. Add two drops VG/PG to test vial + 1 more drop flavoring = 10% concentration.

4. Shake and add 3 drops to coil to test.

If not strong enough....

5. Add two drops VG/PG + 1 more drop of flavoring for 15% concentration, etc.

Always add enough VG/PG to maintain the same ratio in the test vial, when adding more flavor drops. Keep a tally of the drops added, then calculate the amount needed for making 30ml or whatever amount you want.

Also note some flavors are super strong and even 5% might be too much to start. In this case you can add 20ml VG/PG to the vial after testing at 5%, diluting it to 2.5% and test the flavor here... if still too strong, add 20ml VG/PG again to dilute by half again (to 1.25%).

In your case at this point I would simply add more of the flavor needed... if you need both, add both. Steeping usually takes the edge off flavors and develops some subtle flavors more fully (like tobacco flavors), but for Straberry Cream, if the flavor is tasteless before steeping, it won't increase the flavor to steep imo.
Have tired at 3 5 10 and 20 percent and still getting little to no flavour :(

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Are you trying to mix standalone, or with "background" flavors? You really need creams and vanillas and sweetener to make a flavor "pop".

I use the Inawera Shisha Strawberry, at 16%, alongside background flavors that amount to 15.5% -- they balance.

Inawera Shisha Strawberry 16%
TFA DX Bavarian Cream 6%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 4.5%
CAP Sweet Cream 2%
TFA Sweetener 3%

Most prefer less sweetener, around 2% or so -- I like it quite sweet. That is a very INTENSELY flavored ejuice, and doesn't require any steeping, though it tastes better the next day -- it's quite vapable at the time of mix -- that's why it uses so much flavoring, so steeping isn't necessary.

Andria

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Have tired at 3 5 10 and 20 percent and still getting little to no flavour :(

Other things that affect flavor:

1. The device you are using to vape on (newer devices like the Lemo Drop or Kanger Subtank Mini deliver much more flavor than most old cartos and tanks).

2. If your power is too low you won't get flavor.

3. The more airflow, the less flavor (but the more clouds).

If you are using the device you have always used, set up the same way, and your other juices have flavor but this one doesn't, then those particular flavors might need extra help as AndriaD suggested. Some flavors are weak, others are more concentrated.

kayuuelbee

Oct 8, 2015
Are you trying to mix standalone, or with "background" flavors? You really need creams and vanillas and sweetener to make a flavor "pop".

I use the Inawera Shisha Strawberry, at 16%, alongside background flavors that amount to 15.5% -- they balance.

TFA DX Bavarian Cream 6%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 4.5%
CAP Sweet Cream 2%
TFA Sweetener 3%

Most prefer less sweetener, around 2% or so -- I like it quite sweet. That is a very INTENSELY flavored ejuice, and doesn't require any steeping, though it tastes better the next day -- it's quite vapable at the time of mix -- that's why it uses so much flavoring, so steeping isn't necessary.

Andria
I've added some EM and a Custard flavour, recommended at 20% im not using shisha im using the original Strawberry they do, will try at higher percentages bc I really have a sweet tooth too! Thanks a lot Andria!

kayuuelbee

Oct 8, 2015
Other things that affect flavor:

1. The device you are using to vape on (newer devices like the Lemo Drop or Kanger Subtank Mini deliver much more flavor than most old cartos and tanks).

2. If your power is too low you won't get flavor.

3. The more airflow, the less flavor (but the more clouds).

If you are using the device you have always used, set up the same way, and your other juices have flavor but this one doesn't, then those particular flavors might need extra help as AndriaD suggested. Some flavors are weak, others are more concentrated.
Oops double post, and im using a subtank mini :p

kayuuelbee

Oct 8, 2015

TFA DX Bavarian Cream 6%
TFA Vanilla Swirl 4.5%
CAP Sweet Cream 2%
TFA Sweetener 3%

Andria
just tried a mix with the same percentages as yours but i substituted everything except the strawberry with a custard, still getting very little flavour at all, was very harsh for the first hit or so as well, gonna see what changes over night.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I've added some EM and a Custard flavour, recommended at 20% im not using shisha im using the original Strawberry they do, will try at higher percentages bc I really have a sweet tooth too! Thanks a lot Andria!

Last time I ordered a 100ml of the shisha strawberry, they included a 10ml of Inawera's regular strawberry, and I haven't tried yet, but it smells great -- very similar to the shisha, but maybe not quite as sweet -- might need more sweetener with that one. But if you still can't come up with a good juice, you should try the shisha, it's very sweet but has that real-strawberry "bite", the most authentic tasting strawberry I've tried so far.

Andria

Reactions: Dixie1954

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
just tried a mix with the same percentages as yours but i substituted everything except the strawberry with a custard, still getting very little flavour at all, was very harsh for the first hit or so as well, gonna see what changes over night.

70vg/30pg have you added distilled water? Try adding 7% distilled water. No distilled water on hand bottle water will do for this test. To thick a mix masks flavor. "Very harsh first few hits" was a dead give away:)

kayuuelbee

Oct 8, 2015
How is your coil sometimes a coil that is wearing out loses it's flavor. How many watts are you using?
changed it a few days ago, running around 20 watts on a 0.7ohm coil, fresh wick too.

70vg/30pg have you added distilled water? Try adding 7% distilled water. No distilled water on hand bottle water will do for this test. To thick a mix masks flavor. "Very harsh first few hits" was a dead give away:)

no, i will try!

Last time I ordered a 100ml of the shisha strawberry, they included a 10ml of Inawera's regular strawberry, and I haven't tried yet, but it smells great -- very similar to the shisha, but maybe not quite as sweet -- might need more sweetener with that one. But if you still can't come up with a good juice, you should try the shisha, it's very sweet but has that real-strawberry "bite", the most authentic tasting strawberry I've tried so far.

Andria
Will try, ive heard all good things, gonna hit my head against this one till it works first though :p

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
The regular inawera strawberry concentrate(truskawka), is recommended from the makers at 2%(it used to be 3% for the older strawberry e-aromat truskawka, but they enhanced it 2 years ago thereabouts into concentrate version with 2% recommendation).

They base there recommendations on a 50/50 mix mostly and from an average of a bunch of pre-testers of the flavor on there forum.

I've also found that 3% for the old(e-aromat) and 2% for the new(concentrate) is spot on for me, but i've also only tested it on a 50/50 base and not anything higher in vg. It's very good imho, btw.

Many state "regular inawera strawberry", and instead talk about the Tino D'Milano version, since it also states inawera strawberry and the Tino D'milano, is written in small on upper left only I believe, or used too... That version is likewise very concentrated, and recommended as 1-2%, and i've only tested it at 2%, which was fully potent, but just a half-decent not very natural candy type strawberry to me...

The shisha has something in it's flavor profile that i'm not a fan off, and it's e.g. very detectable just from smelling the bottle, but I admit to most probably being the odd man out, since many love and rave about it :) (I don't mean it smells or tastes bad at all, but just some slight undertone that I would rather be without or how to put it...)

Before I wen't to unflavored, strawberry vapes was my absolute favorite vape...

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The regular inawera strawberry concentrate(truskawka), is recommended from the makers at 2%(it used to be 3% for the older strawberry e-aromat truskawka, but they enhanced it 2 years ago thereabouts into concentrate version with 2% recommendation).

They base there recommendations on a 50/50 mix mostly and from an average of a bunch of pre-testers of the flavor on there forum.

I've also found that 3% for the old(e-aromat) and 2% for the new(concentrate) is spot on for me, but i've also only tested it on a 50/50 base and not anything higher in vg. It's very good imho, btw.

Many state "regular inawera strawberry", and instead talk about the Tino D'Milano version, since it also states inawera strawberry and the Tino D'milano, is written in small on upper left only I believe, or used too... That version is likewise very concentrated, and recommended as 1-2%, and i've only tested it at 2%, which was fully potent, but just a half-decent not very natural candy type strawberry to me...

The shisha has something in it's flavor profile that i'm not a fan off, and it's e.g. very detectable just from smelling the bottle, but I admit to most probably being the odd man out, since many love and rave about it :) (I don't mean it smells or tastes bad at all, but just some slight undertone that I would rather be without or how to put it...)

Before I wen't to unflavored, strawberry vapes was my absolute favorite vape...

Yeah well, I was suggested 4% to 8% for the shisha strawberry, and it just tasted "thin." Once I went to 16% and added a balancing amount of creams, vanilla, and sweetener, it actually tasted like something.

What you may be detecting is a chemical called methyl cinnamate -- which apparently occurs in natural strawberries, so it may be why it tastes so authentic to me, but to some, it may just taste "chemically".

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thanks Andria, that could very well be it :)

One thing I noticed, in Inawera.com's warnings about that chemical, is that apparently it's flammable -- so the shisha strawberry might not be well-suited to very-high-wattage vaping -- it might actually catch fire! :lol: I use such low wattage (8.5w-9.5w) that I doubt it will ever be an issue for me.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Alright so Ive got some flavour now, gonna see what it's like after steeping, still faint but will update when I get it where I want! Thanks for all the help! You all made this slightly less overwhelming x)

Yeah the learning curve when you first start DIY is pretty steep, but once you find flavors that you like, and get some experience with flavor proportions and what tastes good together, it all starts to come together, so you can very cheaply make juice that's much better than anything you can buy, because you can tailor it to suit your own preferences. :thumb:

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread