Your Opinions On Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
It doesn't take a lot of effort to find out who has a good reputation, and who doesn't. Why buy a mod from noname Joe Cloner on FT when you could buy a sigelei instead for the same money? sigelei has had a very low failure rate since going to box mods. I guess a few years ago it wasn't as good, but I didn't vape a few years ago. Same with ipv. Don't buy anything with a charging board for dual batteries, and you should be ok :D

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'd like to know how they came up with that 20% failure rate. How large was the sample size? Which mods were looked at? Any and every mod made by a Chinese manufacturer or were select ones cherry picked?

Pretty simple really.
    A lot of you weren't around yet when most of these "ProVari Killers" were all the rage. .......... with their ~75% button failure rates.

stainless_and_brass_strong_style_color_b82220_lavatube_strong_mechanical_mod_e_cig_vv_eco_e_cigarette_huge_vapor.jpg

jhhollier

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 3, 2014
    Simple .... threads like this one sell a lot of ProVaris.

AND, it's normally the negative comments that do the selling.

It may and it may not. No real evidence either way.

Pretty simple really.
    A lot of you weren't around yet when most of these "ProVari Killers" were all the rage. .......... with their ~75% button failure rates.

stainless_and_brass_strong_style_color_b82220_lavatube_strong_mechanical_mod_e_cig_vv_eco_e_cigarette_huge_vapor.jpg

o_O That's a hideous mod but I'm not sure this response addresses my questions at all. Not doubting that the pictured mod had a 75% button failure rate but I'd still like to know where the ProVape guy from the video got the 20% failure rate figure from.

TFL!

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2013
    Chatfield, MN, USA
    I've 100% fail rate on Chinese mods bought 5/24/13 1 Kanger evod set $45.00 both batteries fail with in I month 6/18/13 1 evod starter set fail both batteries less then 2 weeks. 7/8/13 bought Vamo $60.00 7/15/13 started to fail bad board, company would not replace, 7/20/13 Bought Vamo from another supplier $60.00. Fire Button started to fail started to stick on fire mode. total spent on Junk Chinese stuff %210.00 Not including shipping 10/28/13 Received Provari 2.5 $239.00 still using today.
    Yes I have bought other 2.5s and P3 and love them.
    This is my experience other may vary.

Reactions: WindyCityJoe

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It may and it may not. No real evidence either way.

o_O That's a hideous mod but I'm not sure this response addresses my questions at all. Not doubting that the pictured mod had a 75% button failure rate but I'd still like to know where the ProVape guy from the video got the 20% failure rate figure from.

I would too, however I've used (or at least seen) most of the PV's that were supposed to bury the ProVari over the years that never remained relevant for more than a few months.
    BTW, that "hideous mod" was the cat-sas when it was introduced in 2011.
    A week after it was introduced the warranty was reduced from one year to 14 days.

I'm surprised it was only 20% with all the button problems, spring problems, and bad 510 threads.

I had the same thought.

Last edited:

TFL!

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2013
    Chatfield, MN, USA
    o_O That's a hideous mod but I'm not sure this response addresses my questions at all. Not doubting that the pictured mod had a 75% button failure rate but I'd still like to know where the ProVape guy from the video got the 20% failure rate figure from.[/QUOTE]
    The same place you can find it........BY Research!!!

Now I am tired of feeding TROLS

Reactions: WindyCityJoe

Chip H.

Verified Member
    Sep 9, 2015
    I guess I must be in the minority because whether a mod will last for 5 years or not is something I don't consider when deciding on a purchase. Longevity is great but I'd rather have a mod that meets my expectations in regard to specs/features even if it "only" lasts a year or so than one that doesn't meet those expectations but will last 5 years.
    Absolutely. With the continuing and rapid advancements in chipsets, what is a killer set of features today will be surpassed long, long before the lifespan of a Provari is up. For those who are perfectly happy with an intentionally constrained set of vaping parameters, the Provaris or Reos (insert whatever highly regarded yet limited device brings out the superfans) are the perfect mod and a fantastic value considering their durability. However, for those that enjoy the onward march of gadgetry, if it's built well enough to statistically be functioning in 18 months time, it might as well be a Provari since they'll have upgraded to something new by then.

I admire the Provari for what it is, just like the Reos, but neither suit me, so I vape away on an iPV D2, which at the time I bought it was the best of breed for my vaping style. I am rather certain that sometime within the year there will be another reasonably priced, solidly built mod that will come out with some feature that I really want, and the D2 will become the backup/alternate (currently occupied by first mod, the iStick 50W, which in spite of some's perception, worked perfectly for me for months until I got the D2). Buying a $50-$100 mod once a year might technically be more expensive than a all but guaranteed 5+ year design for 4X+ the cost, but I can keep adapting gear to my current style for not much more, and as someone attracted to vaping for the gadgetry and tinkering side of it, that is a better value for me.

If the day comes where I realize I've been happily vaping on the same type of gear for the past year and I see nothing that could be significantly improved or changed, then I'd be looking for something with the sort of build quality and durability of the Provaris that suited that vape gear. So far, though, my vaping journey has been one of iterative improvement, where I carefully select the next step in gear and work it until I know what it can do and what it can't do, and then I select the next piece of gear with the goal of improving upon that. Since I haven't found "the one" yet, I don't see a need to worry about 5 year product durability as a key feature.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I think I'm glad I didn't start vaping earlier than I did. I thought about it, but didn't. I probably would've been very frustrated and given it up. I respect those of you who persevered through those early times.

The first egos I bought actually had a one year warranty. I sent them to a friend in the UK after 4 months though. She vaped 2 days, and then threw them in a box. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't charge or work now though. That was 15 months ago.

I'm quite sure the early Provari Killaz were quite laughable. I believe you.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    For those who are perfectly happy with an intentionally constrained set of vaping parameters, the Provaris or Reos (insert whatever highly regarded yet limited device brings out the superfans) are the perfect mod and a fantastic value considering their durability.

Hey, leave my Reo out of this Chip!!! :sneaky:

:)

kates

ECF Veteran
    Jan 20, 2014
    United Kingdom
    From my perspective - I expect my provari to work and to be fixed if it stops working (free if it's in guarantee period, for a reasonable price if it's not). I expect my cheap mods (with a minimum guarantee) to work for the length of the guarantee period and to be replaced during that time if they stop working. I have had some cheap mods that have worked way, way past their guarantee period and some barely make it.So I know my provari will continue to work as long as I need it to (that is part of it's value to me and why I am willing to spend more on it), my cheaper mods it's all a bit of a lottery (but I keep my fingers crossed I'll be lucky).
    The first egos I bought actually had a one year warranty. I sent them to a friend in the UK after 4 months though. She vaped 2 days, and then threw them in a box. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't charge or work now though. That was 15 months ago.
    You might be surprised - my original joyetech egos were (are) great - I passed them on to my brother in law after a year (I'd used them every day for about 3 months then they were stored in a cupboard) and he's still using them another 18 months on (he uses them once a week when he visits a friend). Think mine only had a 3 month warranty....

Electrodave

LPV
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    www.electrostring.com
    Since I haven't found "the one" yet, I don't see a need to worry about 5 year product durability as a key feature.
    But what if "the one" comes along but turns out to be a shoddy unreliable POS? I have an eVic VT 'coz my iStick 50W (which I liked quite well when it was working) crapped out after about a month.

The eVic is well made and highly accurate. Great for high power applications. But at over 8 oz, it isn't going to be leaving my house. Got a Provari 2 that I bought used for $40 sitting on my desk right next to me right now. Frankly, that plus a carto tank already make as much vapor or more than I want. It may be my business, but i don't want customers walking into clouds in a tax office.

towelie

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2014
    In a cloud
    Look here jhhollier, you seem somewhat rational...if i say capitalism is superior to communism i am assuming we all are aware that capitalists are not a race of people and neither are communists, i also assume if you attack the character of a comment, that its actually ment for the commentor, sounds more like a noun there. Idk to throw the race card around ad hom really is akin to just saying poopy head or similar steamless insult. My apologies and looking forward to conversing with you in the future, i really agree with most of what you wrote, later.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    My first e-cig was an eGo ($74 starter kit). That was almost 5 years ago. That kit is right now in the hands of it's 4th user. Best $74 I ever spent.
    4 people no longer smoke because of that one kit!
    My Mako (mechanical mod) is also almost 5 years old (still use it some almost every day)
    So the ProVari is not the only PV that I consider a truly great PV.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I think I'm glad I didn't start vaping earlier than I did. I thought about it, but didn't. I probably would've been very frustrated and given it up. I respect those of you who persevered through those early times.

I'm quite sure the early Provari Killaz were quite laughable. I believe you.

I have a three year old eGo Twist here that is still working pretty much like new as far as I can tell. I used it regularly for about half a year in 2012.

Vaping sure was a different game back then though. Just finding something that worked took research or luck and you had to be pretty lucky if you didn't do the research. The technology has really changed in three and a half years and I hope it continues.

towelie

ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2014
    In a cloud
    My first e-cig was an eGo ($74 starter kit). That was almost 5 years ago. That kit is right now in the hands of it's 4th user. Best $74 I ever spent.
    My Mako (mechanical mod) is also almost 5 years old (still use it some almost every day)
    So the ProVari is not the only PV that I consider a truly great PV.
    i paid a hundie for a blu kit....maybe the provari wasnt so expensive after all.....

Reactions: chrisz

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
    Provari's are as solid as they come and should satisfy anybody for a very long time without needing to buy another mod . I am not one to think the next great thing will be out soon so i will wait for that , that thought process is mostly hogwash .

Fact is except for temp control all mods do the same thing , the only thing that changes are the designs and appearance . Newer ones work NO BETTER than the tried and true of old .

Pick one that handles the wattage you prefer to vape at and your set , no need to keep upgrading , i have higher wattage more expensive stuff but my best vapes come from vaping at 20 watts and under .

There has been nothing that has hit the market that really turns the vaping world upside down , some argue temp control but other than that it all does the same dang thing .

A Provari is a mod that will satisfy for the long term , no need for anything else , even many years later a Provari is built and is superior to most everything else out there. I don't even own one but i know how Provari's rep is and it's well deserved.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread