Boxer Mod 200W with Evolv DNA200 Temperature Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015
@Bow2King,
I thought about that. I have a bunch of 25r Samsungs but I did not like the squareish form factor of the DNA133. LiPo for me! One thing I can say is I don't see me using 200 watts. I tried the 200 watt preheat when I first got it and man was that too much!

After using clones having the real deal really has spoiled me. I think the vaping budget is about to get put on hold for a while. At least I got what I wanted before the clamp down!

Well I just bought the lipo version too, I figured I have so many duel 18650 mods that it's nice to have something a little different. And it's not hard plugging it in to charge by sub and vaping another one of my mods lol, I will be buying another one at some point with duel 18650s but not the dna133, as I would rather wait till dna build one with duel 18650s that run at full pelt or even match the 150 watts of the sx chip, lipo are a good battery IMO and I just think more people are going to have to use them if they want bigger wattage as no one is building them without it seems, who knows what mods are in the future but it's hard to see anything coming out any time soon that's going to knock the dna200 chip

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
Well I just bought the lipo version too, I figured I have so many duel 18650 mods that it's nice to have something a little different. And it's not hard plugging it in to charge by sub and vaping another one of my mods lol, I will be buying another one at some point with duel 18650s but not the dna133, as I would rather wait till DNA build one with duel 18650s that run at full pelt or even match the 150 watts of the sx chip, lipo are a good battery IMO and I just think more people are going to have to use them if they want bigger wattage as no one is building them without it seems, who knows what mods are in the future but it's hard to see anything coming out any time soon that's going to knock the dna200 chip

Congratulations on the new purchase, I love my Boxer 133 and I'm sure you'll love your Boxer 200 just the same!

I should mention that it is not Ginger Vaper that is limiting the dual 18650 DNA chip to 133, it is Evolv (maker of the DNA200). Evolv/"DNA" chose 133 watts as a limit for a reason and it will be up to them to change so I would not anticipate any other mod with two cells, 18650s or LiPo, getting custom firmware to up the wattage limit (although I suppose I could be wrong). One thing to remember is that the DNA does that 133 (200 with the LiPo) watts in temperature control as well as power mode, whereas the SX can do 150 in power mode but is limited to 75 joules/watts (I believe) in temperature control so you only gain that extra 17 watts in power mode in the SX over the DNA133. We do have to wait and see what Yihi releases in December though and see if that changes.

Last edited:

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015
Congratulations on the new purchase, I love my Boxer 133 and I'm sure you'll love your Boxer 200 just the same!

I should mention that it is not Ginger Vaper that is limiting the dual 18650 DNA chip to 133, it is Evolv (maker of the DNA200). Evolv/"DNA" chose 133 watts as a limit for a reason and it will be up to them to change so I would not anticipate any other mod with two cells, 18650s or LiPo, getting custom firmware to up the wattage limit (although I suppose I could be wrong).

I know this buddy, I would like to see evolve change this but can not see it, although I'm guessing there are some home techs that will know a fix to alter the chip so you can unlock your dna133 lol, but of course this is at the users respocability should anything bad happen and I guess evolve did limit the chip for safety reasons so it's not advisable, I don't mind lipo battery personally and for me it's not a problem

Jeremy Schreiber

May 27, 2015
I know this buddy, I would like to see evolve change this but can not see it, although I'm guessing there are some home techs that will know a fix to alter the chip so you can unlock your dna133 lol, but of course this is at the users respocability should anything bad happen and I guess evolve did limit the chip for safety reasons so it's not advisable, I don't mind lipo battery personally and for me it's not a problem

Gotcha, sorry about that - didn't realize you are referring to the tinkerers out there. Still, I'm not sure if there is any way to do that, then again I am not exactly technically savvy with mods. Edit: feel like someone would have done this already if it was possible.

Last edited:

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015
Gotcha, sorry about that - didn't realize you are referring to the tinkerers out there. Still, I'm not sure if there is any way to do that, then again I am not exactly technically savvy with mods.
Well me either ha, most I have done is wire a new scratch plate for my stratocaster guitar ha, which the pickups were made in USA by Linda fralin ha, I do have a friend who makes guitar pedals and I might ask him next time I see him or even my tube amp tech who is very knowledgable with circuit boards, I imagine it's easier to wire up a couple of 18650s to the lipo built chip if I had to take a guess at it, but again it's just a guess, but you would really have to want to do it like lol, I don't think I will if it's possible just because the lipo is fine enough for my needs, I do wonder if I actually needed the 200 watts lol, but I have other mods so thought why not ha

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA

I should mention that it is not Ginger Vaper that is limiting the dual 18650 DNA chip to 133, it is Evolv (maker of the DNA200). Evolv/"DNA" chose 133 watts as a limit for a reason and it will be up to them to change so I would not anticipate any other mod with two cells, 18650s or LiPo, getting custom firmware to up the wattage limit (although I suppose I could be wrong). One thing to remember is that the DNA does that 133 (200 with the LiPo) watts in temperature control as well as power mode, whereas the SX can do 150 in power mode but is limited to 75 joules/watts (I believe) in temperature control so you only gain that extra 17 watts in power mode in the SX over the DNA133. We do have to wait and see what Yihi releases in December though and see if that changes.

Yes, Evolv's firmware currently limits the chip to 66.67 watts per battery (3.7v), so the dual 18650 reaches 133W and the triple LiPo reaches 200W. Just as when YiHi released the SX350J chip it was only reaching 60W (3.7v) and 120W (7.4v) which they later updated via a firmware upgrade, I would expect the same from Evolv and the DNA chip. 150W/225W or even 167W/250W. Unlike YiHi that seems to release a new chip whenever they are looking to increase their sales and give up support on their current units and all the people who invested in them, Evolv seems more like Apple/Samsung that introduces a new model just once a year. Remember this is still a pretty new chip and a few firmware updates already mostly fixing the pre-release bugs, but i'd bet we see a more significant firmware update (with extra power) within the next month or two.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Yes, Evolv's firmware currently limits the chip to 66.67 watts per battery (3.7v), so the dual 18650 reaches 133W and the triple LiPo reaches 200W. Just as when YiHi released the SX350J chip it was only reaching 60W (3.7v) and 120W (7.4v) which they later updated via a firmware upgrade, I would expect the same from Evolv and the DNA chip. 150W/225W or even 167W/250W. Unlike YiHi that seems to release a new chip whenever they are looking to increase their sales and give up support on their current units and all the people who invested in them, Evolv seems more like Apple/Samsung that introduces a new model just once a year. Remember this is still a pretty new chip and a few firmware updates already mostly fixing the pre-release bugs, but i'd bet we see a more significant firmware update (with extra power) within the next month or two.

I doubt they will. I reckon they probably feel that 133 'real' watts is already pushing 2 650s to their relatively comfortable limit and will leave it there. Also, you do realise that yihi will be releasing a final 350J update with Ti and TCR support in due course so dont be too hard....and samsung releasing a single model each yeear?? seriously???

Reactions: Croak

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
I doubt they will. I reckon they probably feel that 133 'real' watts is already pushing 2 650s to their relatively comfortable limit and will leave it there. Also, you do realise that yihi will be releasing a final 350J update with Ti and TCR support in due course so dont be too hard....and samsung releasing a single model each yeear?? seriously???

LOL.... I'm still waiting for my 75W update on my sxmini S class that they sold for a total of ONE month before discontinuing it and their promise of future updates.... but i know in due course :)

As to Samsung, yes, They offer many different models but yes, one update a year foreach model, ie., the Note line, One for the Galaxy line, etc...

And if yihi can put 75W in their 350 and even junky ipv d2 without even step-down, there is no reason why Evolv can't do the same.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
LOL.... I'm still waiting for my 75W update on my sxmini S class that they sold for a total of ONE month before discontinuing it and their promise of future updates.... but i know in due course :)

As to Samsung, yes, They offer many different models but yes, one update a year foreach model, ie., the Note line, One for the Galaxy line, etc...

And if yihi can put 75W in their 350 and even junky ipv d2 without even step-down, there is no reason why Evolv can't do the same.

Yeah, lets avoid an apple/samsung incident lol!!!!

Hey the IPV D2 isnt junky! I love mine. I have 2 actually!!! haha!

As for the yihi thing, it is a bit crap that they have messed around so much with the sxm update (or lack thereof). Seems like it will be a good one when the final version is released. Fingers crossed!
cheers

steve

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
Yeah, lets avoid an apple/samsung incident lol!!!!

Hey the IPV D2 isnt junky! I love mine. I have 2 actually!!! haha!

As for the yihi thing, it is a bit crap that they have messed around so much with the sxm update (or lack thereof). Seems like it will be a good one when the final version is released. Fingers crossed!
cheers

steve
HAHAHA... I agree.

And yes, the d2 is a nice little compact unit, but why they put that type of chip in there (obviously to save money) pretty much makes it useless -- Its basically a mech mod until you are low on your battery.

I final would be nice. I think they must have about faced after reading some of these posts from all the people boycotting their new ML. Gave them the benefit of the doubt on the S class. But then they did it again to the M. And you know the saying, fool me once shame on me........

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
HAHAHA... I agree.

And yes, the d2 is a nice little compact unit, but why they put that type of chip in there (obviously to save money) pretty much makes it useless -- Its basically a mech mod until you are low on your battery.

I final would be nice. I think they must have about faced after reading some of these posts from all the people boycotting their new ML. Gave them the benefit of the doubt on the S class. But then they did it again to the M. And you know the saying, fool me once shame on me........

Dont use th D2 for anything but TC. I havent had any probs even in Ti mode although its a tad underpowered possibly (maybe a wronf TCR or something). Ridiculous that they dont have step-down in power but obviously do in TC. WTF??

I hear you about the yihi thing I really do but they can only try to improve I guess. Lets see what the new one brings...another set of issues I guess what with their take on the 'escribe' strategy...well, 'interesting times' as, appropriately, a wise man from china once said!

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015

Yes I do see evolve as the better company from personal experience, I contacted them with a problem on an old dna20 chip and they were very quick to help me and resolve the issue, I have only heard horror story's on old yihi chops and customer feedback lol, and I always like to deal with company's that speak fluent English lol, it just makes for far easier problem solving ha, and I voted never to buy another yihi chip after the problems I had with my sx350 which had a mind of its own, I know dna40 had issues but they replaced them and no one had a problem getting replacements that I know of

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
for people with the boxer 133 what are you setting your volt cut off to?

For battery drain - I have not received my unit yet but I try to keep my 18650s no lower than 3.5V to prolong life. I've seen somewhere where 3.3V was the magical number to avoid going below but honestly I don't remember the context.

@Mooch would know .. -Mags

mitro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
IL
for people with the boxer 133 what are you setting your volt cut off to?
That depends on how much power you use when vaping. If you are tootling along at 10w all the time you want a higher cut-off, while if you are blasting out 133w a lower cut-off will take better advantage of the full capacity of the battery (without damaging the cell due to overdischarge).

Honestly, I don't think there's much point in worrying about it. If you really want to get an idea of how your cells deliver, run the Device Monitor (or better yet, the Battery Analyzer) in Escribe at the watts you usually vape at and you should see what amount of battery sag you get. Its not how low the voltage goes under load, its the resting voltage. I would generally say that 3.5v RESTING is the lowest I'm comfortable with.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Just ordered some newer wire here in UK For mine, it's from stealth vape and a mixture of titanium and Nikel and is very good for micro coils by all accounts, would be nice to have micro coils back in action as they do put out better flavour
you mean nickel and iron??

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015
I know there is some concern around safety of lipo, but only in a fools hands really lol, put it this way 18650 or lipo venting is not a pretty site and both as bad as each other, the 18650 may be a little worse as its in a hard casing so it will be a little like a rocket or bullet lol, it's easier to puncture a lipo, but all batterys vent if but in silly hands lol

Captain_Vapor

Oct 11, 2015
you mean nickel and iron??

Sure do lol, not sure why I wrote it that way although I did order more titanium wire as well lol, i did go off temp control a bit if I'm honest so hoping the micro coil will give me a new lease of life with temp control, not holding my breath lol, I do like the fact temp control is hard to get a dry hit but have had some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread