Box mod recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Looking for a new all day beater for when my Snow Wolf inevitably dies on me. I was thinking about taking advantage of a sale on a tube mode that I really like, but since I've been running deeper sub ohm builds I'd like the added safety of a parallel battery set up. So I'm looking for an inexpensive box, that is small and completely mechanical and can handle loads that come along with .14-.24 fancy builds. I confess I like the Dos Equis mod, and similar styles but can't justify the cost (to my wife, who already got me a nice tube mod last year, and gives me hard time about not using it much), so I was thinking about the clones versions. Though I have to admit that makes me a bit uneasy (more so than it used to).

Anyone have recommendations?

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
If I were on a budget (and I am), I would look to the MCV Raptor clones available at 88evape.com. Maybe an El Diablo Incubus clone. I do not have first-hand experience with the Cigreen Bigfoot, but anecdotal commentary here at ECF appears to favor this box mod as well. Or if you want an authentic at a relatively reasonable price, the Kontrabida Kustoms Signum box mod for $160 shipped direct from KK. The only knock (IMO) on the Signum box would be how the firing pin screw must be individually adjusted for each atomizer.

Last edited:
Reactions: RuDawg7890

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I'm also just looking without first hand experience, and still waiting for my nikita clone parallel box. but I would prefer both a small one and if possible, tool-less battery changing, so the dimitri, nikita and cherry-bomber etc is out.

The raptor seems nice but a little big/heavy for my tastes. So, i'm currently thinking about clones of castigador and abbadon. The dos equis is also cool, but i'm just a little uneasy about jd tech only recommending builds down to 0.5ohms... It has however been tested much lower than that by others without issue though...

About clones, then I was also uneasy about them previously and e.g. got authentic kayfuns etc., but after I got my first clone(a velocity rda), then I have completely changed position on this, both because i'm on a tight budget as unemployed currently, and because they are perfectly fine, just check reviews/discussions thoroughly first before buying e.g. on fasttech. My own position is that for me ,clones are fine for rda's and mech mods and such, but not for e.g. regulated mods with real electronics inside. Maybe that dosen't make much sense, but that's just me...

If the products where cheaper I would buy originals, but as they are frequently not, and since the design usually isn't patented, and many times sold out imidiatelly, then I think it's ok to go with clones, but I just wish they weren't 1:1, as i don't support ripping off the owners logo and trademarks... Of course I know that the development process takes time and effort and so the price shouldn't just reflect the materials but also the actual development, but still, I feel the price is ridiculous on many items imho... The mutation x series and e.g. twisted messes is a succes and frequently gotten originally because of the reasonable price imho...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Ninja

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
If I were on a budget (and I am), I would look to the MCV Raptor clones available at 88evape.com. Maybe an El Diablo Incubus clone. I do not have first-hand experience with the Cigreen Bigfoot, but anecdotal commentary here at ECF appears to favor this box mod as well. Or if you want an authentic at a relatively reasonable price, the Kontrabida Kustoms Signum box mod for $160 shipped direct from KK. The only knock (IMO) on the Signum box would be how the firing pin screw must be individually adjusted for each atomizer.

I had looked at the Raptor clones and while intriguing, the size is a major off put for me. I want something small and easy to carry, hence my interest in the Dos Equis, Castigator, and Muniquita. A local shop sells the Munequita for about 180, but I'd rather have something I dont mind if it gets dinged up. For that same reason, my JD tech red copper stingray rarely leaves the house. The Cigreen Bigfoot looks interesting, though for the life of me I can't figure out how the switch operates. Gonna have to keep an eye out for that one. Thanks though.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm also just looking without first hand experience, and still waiting for my nikita clone parallel box. but I would prefer both a small one and if possible, tool-less battery changing, so the dimitri, nikita and cherry-bomber etc is out.

The raptor seems nice but a little big/heavy for my tastes. So, i'm currently thinking about clones of castigador and abbadon. The dos equis is also cool, but i'm just a little uneasy about jd tech only recommending builds down to 0.5ohms... It has however been tested much lower than that by others without issue though...

About clones, then I was also uneasy about them previously and e.g. got authentic kayfuns etc., but after I got my first clone(a velocity rda), then I have completely changed position on this, both because i'm on a tight budget as unemployed currently, and because they are perfectly fine, just check reviews/discussions thoroughly first before buying e.g. on fasttech. My own position is that for me ,clones are fine for rda's and mech mods and such, but not for e.g. regulated mods with real electronics inside. Maybe that dosen't make much sense, but that's just me...

If the products where cheaper I would buy originals, but as they are frequently not, and since the design usually isn't patented, and many times sold out imidiatelly, then I think it's ok to go with clones, but I just wish they weren't 1:1, as i don't support ripping off the owners logo and trademarks... Of course I know that the development process takes time and effort and so the price shouldn't just reflect the materials but also the actual development, but still, I feel the price is ridiculous on many items imho... The mutation x series and e.g. twisted messes is a succes and frequently gotten originally because of the reasonable price imho...

That Nikita seems interesting, let me know how it does when you get it, and as I mentioned above, I'm with you on the size of the raptor. Just to bulky for my needs.

I know from first hand experience that the Dos Equis and Castigator style boxes can handle very deep subohm builds. One of my brick and mortar friends routinely runs his in the .12 to .16 range. Definitely pushing it for my purposes, but they seem to take it like a champ. I'm just not certain of the clone quality.

For the most part I've been moving to affordable authentics for my atty's, and my two main mods are both authentics, but my beater tube (SMPL) is an infinite clone and has given me some issues (it used to hit harder then my stingray, but not these days, regardless of how I clean it. Im hoping to do some sanding this weekend to see if that helps), but I won't push below a .22 on single battery mod, hence the need for a parallel box. I want to reward the originators for their designs and work, but at the same time 180 for something that will essentially be an all day rugged useage type thing is a tough pill to swallow. I'd like to spend under a 100, so that Cigreen has some appeal.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
The Cigreen Bigfoot looks interesting, though for the life of me I can't figure out how the switch operates.

This might help. Or it might not :)

Power off:
EF45B7E4-20AF-4635-9908-22A4EB134714.jpg

Power on:
308F0279-C508-4E8A-AD0A-138B282FFC67.jpg

And a size comparison. The Bigfoot is actually a little larger than the Raptor. Mass is about the same.
22618709-B4AF-4FC9-94F3-A7CB16D58DE9.jpg

BTW: No tools needed to change the batts on the Raptor. Plugs designed to unscrew with fingertips.

Not trying to persuade you one over the other, both are great mods. Just addressing some questions :)

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm glad you posted those pictures. The way I'm looking at it, the positive ends of the batteries are connecting to the 510 connector, but have no way of completing the circuit to the negative body of the mod, until the button is pressed completing the circuit. Is that accurate? And is that essentially how all the pure mechanical box mods are done? Wasn't sure exactly how the button fire'd the mods. I would guess this is how the older style side fired tube mods also worked? The bigfoot looks a bit narrower then the raptor...

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
It's correct. In both mods, all two positive and two negative terminals of the battery are in constant contact with mod connection points. The button contacts the post of the atomizer and is grounded through the body of the mod. The Raptor will fire with an exterior connection from the body of the atomizer to the body of the mod, which is why it has the delrin top, to accept any atty without closing the circuit should the atty body and mod body come in contact. The Bigfoot will not fire in this way. I can only guess this is due to some surface treatment on the Bigfoot.

A mod that I love to death (except for the stupid logos) is the Lethal. Three 18650's in parallel in a foot print just a wee bit larger than either the Raptor or Bigfoot. Switch contacts positive terminal of an end battery. Tough as nails.

4EB9E8C2-162F-427F-B90A-BEA81C977AE5.jpg

9A31824A-33A0-4BC1-9F4C-327400BFC11D.jpg

018139DC-2F0F-43E8-BE28-178F3108E646.jpg

0B1A8D88-9D03-4802-9523-B0AAE9488C86.jpg

D8460964-D808-47DB-9802-2BB62E0A2974.jpg

5A80C707-C4ED-4163-BFFD-DA25229B8DDD.jpg

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
A mod that I love to death (except for the stupid logos) is the Lethal. Three 18650's in parallel in a foot print just a wee bit larger than either the Raptor or Bigfoot. Switch contacts positive terminal of an end battery. Tough as nails.
How are the magnets on that Lethal? Do they hold the little door on pretty well?
Where did you get it...authentic or clone?
For that matter, are the Raptor and Bigfoot clones?

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
So the other mod I was looking at was a bust, so I'm back to square 1. Question regarding the raptor...will it auto fire if something metal contacts the outer sleeve of the Atty and the body of the mod? Are there any other nuances about it that a new user ( but pretty experiened)coming from single tube mechs/regulated devices should know? Kinda along the same lines as how using the right length 510 on a hybrid style mech is extremely important. Anything along those lines?

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
How are the magnets on that Lethal? Do they hold the little door on pretty well?
Where did you get it...authentic or clone?
For that matter, are the Raptor and Bigfoot clones?

No magnets for the sliding negative cover. Three large screws, very short thread length. Unscrew all three partially to slide cover off. With three VTC5's, that's about once every three days. It is a clone, from eBay.

Raptor is a clone, Bigfoot is authentic.

Reactions: frjaldomr

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Question regarding the raptor...will it auto fire if something metal contacts the outer sleeve of the Atty and the body of the mod? Are there any other nuances about it that a new user ( but pretty experiened)coming from single tube mechs/regulated devices should know? Kinda along the same lines as how using the right length 510 on a hybrid style mech is extremely important. Anything along those lines?

The Raptor will fire if a conductive connection is made between the body of the mod and the body of the atty. This is surprisingly difficult to do as long as your not carrying the thing in your pocket with a huge ring of keys. I've never managed to "accidentally" fire mine in this way. I did bend a paper clip in such a way as to be able to make the connection, and it did indeed fire. But only with malice aforethought :).

The non conducting delrin top means you can affix any atty that makes contact with the mod top without fear of spontaneous firing. Aside from the fact that you must be mindful that if you make that external conductive connection between mod and atty bodies, it's very forgiving, super robust, and a darn good mech mod. If you have experience with single cell tube mechs, you're going to be fine with it. The only new concept to grasp is verifying you've placed your two batteries in the proper parallel configuration.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
So the other mod I was looking at was a bust, so I'm back to square 1. Question regarding the raptor...will it auto fire if something metal contacts the outer sleeve of the Atty and the body of the mod? Are there any other nuances about it that a new user ( but pretty experiened)coming from single tube mechs/regulated devices should know? Kinda along the same lines as how using the right length 510 on a hybrid style mech is extremely important. Anything along those lines?

Keep in mind fully mechanical dual battery box mods are not designed to be shoved in your pants pocket.
Use your head when using advanced gear.
It's not one size fits all, and these mods are not made to be used by everyone.
Just pay attention to what you are doing and understand how the mod works and you'll be fine.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm glad you posted those pictures. The way I'm looking at it, the positive ends of the batteries are connecting to the 510 connector, but have no way of completing the circuit to the negative body of the mod, until the button is pressed completing the circuit. Is that accurate? And is that essentially how all the pure mechanical box mods are done? Wasn't sure exactly how the button fire'd the mods. I would guess this is how the older style side fired tube mods also worked? The bigfoot looks a bit narrower then the raptor...

That particular design may have an issue with the body being always negative; like the first cherrybombers.
Works fine if the body is plastic/insulating, but if the body/box is metal the switch can be bypassed by casual metal contact on the outside.

Reactions: Mrez

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Judging by the responses about the raptor, I'm gonna pass on it. I am specifically looking for a dual parallel beater mod. One that will likely be in a pocket at times. Given my rather risk adverse nature, the full metal body is probably not for me. I appreciate the comments, advise, and cautionaries. So, back yet again to square one. Are the delrin boxes a bit safer in that regards (negatiy body)? Like the Dos Equis/castigador?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Judging by the responses about the raptor, I'm gonna pass on it. I am specifically looking for a dual parallel beater mod. One that will likely be in a pocket at times. Given my rather risk adverse nature, the full metal body is probably not for me. I appreciate the comments, advise, and cautionaries. So, back yet again to square one. Are the delrin boxes a bit safer in that regards (negatiy body)? Like the Dos Equis/castigador?

Why not just grab a regulated mod?

The fully Mechanical devices you are looking at were not meant to be carried in a pants pocket.

The number one reason for accidents with vape gear is vapers using a device in ways it was not intended to be used.

Reactions: mhertz

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

you said 'beater' in your original post also; could you translate that please.
do you mean like that it's meant to be hard and rugged, and be able to take a beating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread