Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Here's the news story on the Colorado Springs station. I disabled the story link by putting 3 spaces in after headlines.
KKTV - HomePage - Headlines /Man-Recovering-from-E-Cig-Explosion--353170341.html

He uh.....he uh......lost consciousness after the explosion and fell and broke his neck.
Hmm.

That should read Collapsed unless he was skyward>above the floor:rolleyes:
I've crashed a many motorcycle racing MX and no broken necks. 1 broken Foot(caught in another Bike) :glare:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I broke my jaw (upper) when I was kicked by a horse. I even did a backflip through the air from the force, hit a wall 12' behind me and slid to the ground. No broken neck. I did have:

1. Right half of upper jaw cracked down the palette and all the way around my teeth on that side, broken right off the rest of my skull.
2. Lower jaw dislocated.
3. 18 stitches to put my lower lip back together.
4. Maxillary sinus shattered at the bottom and 2 long fractures further up. A bone was pushed through the inside of my nose.
5. Long fracture across zygomatic arch.
6. One tooth broken halfway through the root. How only one is beyond me.
7. Concussion. I still struggle sometimes to think of the correct words for things.
8. Hole in my chin below my lower lip.

Reactions: Kenna

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Well, after actually seeing a Photo of the Mod at the scene, I accept the Battery went Thermal.
Good chance from the look, it was a Lithium and likely an over rated battery.
Still don't understand how he went down. Maybe fainted?
Now wondering if he was running a Wrong head. Perhaps Ni or Ti?

Still a lot more questions than answers.o_O

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
Wouldn't a simple plastic sleeve inside the tube prevent at least some shorts? You're relying on the shrink wrap and you're sliding it down a metallic surface that WILL scratch and tear the wrap. I just don't understand! The box mods I have seen mostly have plastic battery sleds. A little fuse ( that they can't regulate because it's used everywhere) that could be replaced or bypassed by an advanced user could help prevent accidents. With people involved there is always a chance of the Macho or Dain Bramaged to hurt themselves but can't we still make a device that is safer?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Just like any other incident, there will be no facts. There will only be emotional out cry from family and friends, how this poor guy did nothing wrong and an evil mod tried to kill him. People make mistakes, it happens and if it got him hurt, I truly do feel bad for him. The thing is though, I have yet to see one incident where the injured party manned up and said, you know what guys I f'd up. I have never seen one follow up to any story like this that says if the mod was real or clone, what battery they used, a rebuttal by the seller, or any real details. I have seen more in depth coverage of a lost dog finding its way back home than with these stories. I'd love to see the facts too but it isn't going to happen, it isn't about facts, it's about agendas and shock news.
I've been thinking the same thing. I never see a follow up. The wagons circle by family & lawyers & you never hear about what actually happened since lawsuits insue. And BT lawyers are probably among the first behind the ambulance.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Wouldn't a simple plastic sleeve inside the tube prevent at least some shorts? You're relying on the shrink wrap and you're sliding it down a metallic surface that WILL scratch and tear the wrap. I just don't understand! The box mods I have seen mostly have plastic battery sleds. A little fuse ( that they can't regulate because it's used everywhere) that could be replaced or bypassed by an advanced user could help prevent accidents. With people involved there is always a chance of the Macho or Dain Bramaged to hurt themselves but can't we still make a device that is safer?

I won't say it couldn't hurt but the wrapper on batteries is pretty heavy duty, it's a thermal plastic like shrink heat tubing used on just about any electric device from low voltage to high voltage (AC applications). Damage to a wrapper is usually caused by mishandling them or sharp spots inside a mod. If they actually made a 15 to 20 amp fuse that was effective, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would use them but the highest I've ever seen is 7 amps. Then again though you'd be putting the safety in the hands of a part that probably cost less to make than a stick of gum. I'm one that tends to lean that the safer a device is advertised, the more people will push it. I think it's just a lack of understanding by some people across the board but with so many incidents that have happened, how have people still not realized the potential for dangers. It's the it can't or won't happen to me mentality, no different then sex. How many people are told the dangers of diseases, yet still engage in risky behavior without a care in the world. Since the 1980's they have really pushed about understanding safety, yet many people won't take time to use a safety device. It all comes down to responsibility, either you are or you are not a responsible person and if not, every safety in the world won't matter one bit.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
It is nice to hear analysis and get a better understanding, but it helps, too, to comment on the article in whatever venue we find it in.

Uninformed people don't know anything about mechs or numbers to accident ratios or alleyway productions, they just see "e-cigarette" or "vape" and think bad.

It helps if we write our story and comment for clarity.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Freedom of Information Act. CASSA could get a copy of police report which would access his statements.

Actually, anyone can submit a FOIA request, doesn't have to be CASAA or any formal organization. Of course, the requesting party is subject to whatever clerical/copying/processing fees the department or agency charges.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
I won't say it couldn't hurt but the wrapper on batteries is pretty heavy duty, it's a thermal plastic like shrink heat tubing used on just about any electric device from low voltage to high voltage (AC applications). Damage to a wrapper is usually caused by mishandling them or sharp spots inside a mod. If they actually made a 15 to 20 amp fuse that was effective, I'm sure there are plenty of people that would use them but the highest I've ever seen is 7 amps. Then again though you'd be putting the safety in the hands of a part that probably cost less to make than a stick of gum. I'm one that tends to lean that the safer a device is advertised, the more people will push it. I think it's just a lack of understanding by some people across the board but with so many incidents that have happened, how have people still not realized the potential for dangers. It's the it can't or won't happen to me mentality, no different then sex. How many people are told the dangers of diseases, yet still engage in risky behavior without a care in the world. Since the 1980's they have really pushed about understanding safety, yet many people won't take time to use a safety device. It all comes down to responsibility, either you are or you are not a responsible person and if not, every safety in the world won't matter one bit.
You are absolutely right. Asking people to take an "Active" roll in their own safety is a steep hill to climb. Look at seatbelts(active)! They had to make it unlawful not to wear them! But they put airbags (passive) in cars and look at how many lives they have saved. Yes there are still cases where manufacture error or user error caused injury and death but they haven't removed them from cars! And seatbelts and airbags haven't hurt the performance of cars. Have they? Don't you think the ANTZ are looking for any excuse? Right now they can say that the vaping industry has done little to nothing to make mech mods any safer from what I'VE seen. As far as heat shrink goes you're right it is some tough stuff that can be damaged by chafing. I have always used heat shrink on my wiring in my vehicles. But I have NEVER put any wires through a hole in metal without a rubber grommet just to be safe!
ENOUGH OF THE "BUTS"! SAFETY IS EVERYBODY 'S RESPONSIBILITY! AND IT'S REQUIRED OF MANUFACTURERS!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
You are absolutely right. Asking people to take an "Active" roll in their own safety is a steep hill to climb. Look at seatbelts(active)! They had to make it unlawful not to wear them! But they put airbags (passive) in cars and look at how many lives they have saved. Yes there are still cases where manufacture error or user error caused injury and death but they haven't removed them from cars! And seatbelts and airbags haven't hurt the performance of cars. Have they? Don't you think the ANTZ are looking for any excuse? Right now they can say that the vaping industry has done little to nothing to make mech mods any safer from what I'VE seen. As far as heat shrink goes you're right it is some tough stuff that can be damaged by chafing. I have always used heat shrink on my wiring in my vehicles. But I have NEVER put any wires through a hole in metal without a rubber grommet just to be safe!
ENOUGH OF THE "BUTS"! SAFETY IS EVERYBODY 'S RESPONSIBILITY! AND IT'S REQUIRED OF MANUFACTURERS!
Actually the industry did do something about safety. VV/VW mods with reverse battery protection, over/under protecteion came about because of these issues. Also Kicks. But stupid will stupid, peers will peer, & maybe this could lead to a better mech.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

I agree it's safety across the board but mech. mods are one of those things, they are what they are. Mech. mods aren't for everybody and weren't meant to be used by everybody. I don't see away to change that, the only thing I can see to make a mech. safer, is for people to be honest with themselves and their abilities. Cars are a good example, people can buy one and drive it but doesn't mean they can work on it. I used to race and used nitrous ( a whole lot, lol), I never had a problem but used to see people show up with it and blow their motors. They didn't take into account if the internals could handle it, adjust their timing for it, change to a colder spark plug and et. etc., they just threw it in there. This is the problem with mechs. people aren't learning how to do it, they just grab and go. It's like Jurassic park, they get too focused on if they can but don't stop and think if they should. Having safeties are a great thing no doubt but like you said make it where an experienced person can remove it, then there will be a video and every jackalope will do it. The thing is they will still do it wrong and then want to sue because the mod was made where the safety was too easy to take out.

It's like posting warnings or signing waivers, that sounds great but in reality it just gives more room to sue. Many wouldn't read the warnings or safe operations of usage anyways, look how many people buy cars, cell phones and the like but never read the contract. If you have a cellphone, go back through the contract, just about all of them say "no guarantee of service, nor quality of service". That is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one, you are signing to spend all this money guaranteed each month but in return get nothing in return. The lawyers know it says this and so does the gov. but they allow it, guarantees and warranties are only as good as the company or person behind them. In the end consumers will always be the losing party, only the lawyers make any money.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
Look at this ..... that got a snow wolf to do 260w then posted it to you tube. WHY?!!! he had to use an extension tube because the vape was so darn hot! Is any type of safety device gonna help a ..... like this? NFW!!!! But the safeties built into the snow wolf are there for the user! NOT FOR THE ABUSER! This guy had to have some kind of knowledge to accomplish this BUT HE DID IT ANYWAY!

Look we could be on this debate forever! My point is wouldn't it be better to have safeties that can prevent accidents than to argue about how they won't work for stupid people doing insane stuff!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Look at this ..... that got a snow wolf to do 260w then posted it to you tube. WHY?!!! he had to use an extension tube because the vape was so darn hot! Is any type of safety device gonna help a ..... like this? NFW!!!! But the safeties built into the snow wolf are there for the user! NOT FOR THE ABUSER! This guy had to have some kind of knowledge to accomplish this BUT HE DID IT ANYWAY!

Look we could be on this debate forever! My point is wouldn't it be better to have safeties that can prevent accidents than to argue about how they won't work for stupid people doing insane stuff!

NO ONE is arguing that it wouldn't be better. In fact, no one but you is argueing at all. You are the only one trying to manufacture a debate out of a serious conversation. But legislating safety will not keep stupid people like that from doing stupid things like that. Vape Safe will not sink in with some people. It's a fact. Not an arguement. You are trying to argue with a thread full of people that pretty much agree with you.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
NO ONE is arguing that it wouldn't be better. In fact, no one but you is argueing at all. You are the only one trying to manufacture a debate out of a serious conversation. But legislating safety will not keep stupid people like that from doing stupid things like that. Vape Safe will not sink in with some people. It's a fact. Not an arguement. You are trying to argue with a thread full of people that pretty much agree with you.

You're exactly right and the only thing that video proves is, safeties really won't change a thing. Some people are going to abuse or push a device to and/or beyond it's limits for the sole purpose of to say hey I did it. No safety will ever replace common sense and rationalism. Some people will always use a safety as an excuse to go farther, i.e. I don't have to wear a seatbelt because I have an airbag or I can drive faster or crazier because this car is safer than my old one.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I personally think that even trying to keep stupid people from doing stupid things is not only a waste of time, but completely wrong: stupid people doing stupid things is how evolution works: if you're that stupid, you don't need to live long enough to breed and pass on your stupidity. Which is exactly why ALL drugs should be legal: the really stupid folks would get themselves dead long before they even thought of procreating, which would solve a great many problems: over-population, rampant drug addiction, the so-expensive and so-useless "war on drugs", and probably a lot of others.

Trying to keep EVERYONE alive is exactly where Public Health fails; death is a fact of life, and if you're really stupid, it needs to come sooner, not later.

Andria

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
You're exactly right and the only thing that video proves is, safeties really won't change a thing. Some people are going to abuse or push a device to and/or beyond it's limits for the sole purpose of to say hey I did it. No safety will ever replace common sense and rationalism. Some people will always use a safety as an excuse to go farther, i.e. I don't have to wear a seatbelt because I have an airbag or I can drive faster or crazier because this car is safer than my old one.
Or just the old "Hold my beer...".

Reactions: papergoblin

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
NEVER said anything about legislation. Don't want the gov't in my life anymore than they already are!
I agree it's safety across the board but mech. mods are one of those things, they are what they are. Mech. mods aren't for everybody and weren't meant to be used by everybody. I don't see away to change that, the only thing I can see to make a mech. safer, is for people to be honest with themselves and their abilities................ This is the problem with mechs. people aren't learning how to do it, they just grab and go. It's like Jurassic park, they get too focused on if they can but don't stop and think if they should. Having safeties are a great thing no doubt but like you said make it where an experienced person can remove it, then there will be a video and every jackalope will do it. The thing is they will still do it wrong and then want to sue because the mod was made where the safety was too easy to take out.
It's statements like the one above that worry me......"I agree it's safety across the board but mech. mods are one of those things, they are what they are. Mech. mods aren't for everybody and weren't meant to be used by everybody. I don't see away to change that, the only thing I can see to make a mech. safer, is for people to be honest with themselves and their abilities."
I guess what I was looking for was someone who knows how to make them safer talk about what could be done instead of talking about changing people not working.
Safety is the first and foremost thing for me at work (machinist) and I'm very passionate about it! I used to believe that training was the only way to keep people safe but that only works with people who care about what they're doing & how they're doing it so I used to hate guarding. But now since I'm responsible for the safety of people who are just here to get a paycheck & aren't always focused on what they're doing guarding is essential! Door switches so the machine will stop if they open it while it's running, ect..
Not sorry about my passion for safety. But I do apologize if it made me seem or be argumentative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread