Subox/wires/wicks/and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Okay, so I was planning on buying a subtank mini. I really want to begin rebuilding. Then again, I saw the Subox mini at a cheap price, compared to tank + another mod.

So can you guys put up a short list of what I need to start up with rebuilding? I'm buying that off of fasttech unless you find something even cheaper (incl shipping to Norway)

And will the batteries I bought for the evic vTC fit the kbox as well? Lg Hg2 i think (don't remember right now)

Also, the 29g kanthal a1 is what I should buy? And which cotton? Japanese organic? I'm going to build 1,6ohm +

I'll read more about it, and watch some videos as well, but this would help. Thanks :)

Vapez

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
i use 26g kanthal, sm prefer 24g or 28g, its up to u.

Since the OP wants to build a higher ohm coil, I'd suggest 29/28g kanthal; that's what I use--I don't sub-ohm.

26-24g is better for lower res/subohm builds.

Just my :2c:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Okay, so I was planning on buying a subtank mini. I really want to begin rebuilding. Then again, I saw the Subox mini at a cheap price, compared to tank + another mod.

So can you guys put up a short list of what I need to start up with rebuilding? I'm buying that off of fasttech unless you find something even cheaper (incl shipping to Norway)

And will the batteries I bought for the evic vTC fit the kbox as well? Lg Hg2 i think (don't remember right now)

Also, the 29g kanthal a1 is what I should buy? And which cotton? Japanese organic? I'm going to build 1,6ohm +

I'll read more about it, and watch some videos as well, but this would help. Thanks :)

Vapez

0.28 or 0.32mm kanthal A1 will do fine.

You may be able to find Koh Gen Do cotton locally.

A drillbit set will do for a wrapping mandrill.

In the subtank between 2mm and 3mm inside diameter will work fine.

8 to 10 wraps should span the air port nicely.

You can use the VTC mini as a resistance checker.

Reactions: Vapez

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Thank you all for the help, I'll look into it :)
0.28 or 0.32mm kanthal A1 will do fine.

You may be able to find Koh Gen Do cotton locally.

A drillbit set will do for a wrapping mandrill.

In the subtank between 2mm and 3mm inside diameter will work fine.

8 to 10 wraps should span the air port nicely.

You can use the VTC mini as a resistance checker.
The coolfire can read ohms as well. Is it worth getting a extern ohm reader?

Vapez

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Don't overthink this stuff and make yourself crazy.

I looked at how the stock coil in the rba was made and positioned. Found a drill that fit the stock .5 ohm coil. Wrapped 30 gauge kanthal 5 times and held it in place with the drill while I tightened the screws, then moved the coil to about the same height above the air hole. Came out 1.5-1.6 ohms. Wicked with rayon through the cap hole, coil and out the other side. Trimmed to leave about 2mm outside.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Since the OP wants to build a higher ohm coil, I'd suggest 29/28g kanthal; that's what I use--I don't sub-ohm.

26-24g is better for lower res/subohm builds.

Just my :2c:
Okay so I plan on getting this: $2.16 Authentic UD Kanthal A1 Heating Wire for Rebuildable Atomizers (Kanthal A1, 28 AWG, 0.32mm*10m) at m.FastTech.com

And this: $1.52 LTQ Vaper Japanese Organic Cotton for RDA RTA RBA Rebuildable Atomizers (10-Pack) (Cotton, 60*50mm, 10-Pack (LTQ Vaper)) at m.FastTech.com

Good purchase? Getting more of each (quantumium discount).

Vapez

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Like I said before, I've never used FT's wire, so I have no idea how good it is. I use Temco. But the gauge is correct for 1.2-1.8Ω coils. But 10 meters won't last you very long. You're going to mess up a lot of coils, probably, before you master the art of coil winding--I know I did. :facepalm:

Again, I'm not familiar with this brand--which means nothing, of course. It may be great. Kanger uses Muji and FT carries it, so maybe get a small sample of Muji also and see which one you like better.

$2.58 Authentic Muji Rectangle Cotton Wick for RDA RTA RBA Rebuildable Atomizers (10-Pack) (Cotton, 60*50mm, 10-Pack (Muji)) at m.FastTech.com

You're gonna waste a bunch of cotton also, trying to get the wicking right... :lol:

Good luck!

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Like I said before, I've never used FT's wire, so I have no idea how good it is. I use Temco. But the gauge is correct for 1.2-1.8Ω coils. But 10 meters won't last you very long. You're going to mess up a lot of coils, probably, before you master the art of coil winding--I know I did. :facepalm:

Again, I'm not familiar with this brand--which means nothing, of course. It may be great. Kanger uses Muji and FT carries it, so maybe get a small sample of Muji also and see which one you like better.

$2.58 Authentic Muji Rectangle Cotton Wick for RDA RTA RBA Rebuildable Atomizers (10-Pack) (Cotton, 60*50mm, 10-Pack (Muji)) at m.FastTech.com

You're gonna waste a bunch of cotton also, trying to get the wicking right... [emoji38]

Good luck!
Getting 50meters at first :)

I'll just buy and give it a try then, and hopefully I'll be able to do RBA's well.

Vapez

Reactions: Katya

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Sure you will! Watch YouTube videos--that's how I learned. Pbusardo is a great teacher.
Some tools you'll need before you start:

1. Kanthal Wire
  2. 1/16" or 14g blunt tip syringe or drill bit.
  3. A small screwdriver
  4. Butane or Propane torch with a means to ignite it
  5. Wicking material such as organic cotton, or Ekowool
  6. Needle nose pliers or forceps
  7. Wire cutters, Nail clippers, or really sharp scissors
  8. Some delicious E-Liquid
  9. An iron will
Do I really need a butane torch??

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Kanthal Wire

Yes

1/16" or 14g blunt tip syringe or drill bit.

Any 2-2.5 mm diameter rod will do. I use Tobeco clone Kuro coiler.

A small screwdriver

Comes with the subtank.

Butane or Propane torch with a means to ignite it

Lord, no! Do not torch your wire! Wipe it clean with an alcohol pad, make your coil, pulse a few times to make sure it's working properly. Please watch Phil's video.

Wicking material such as organic cotton, or Ekowool

Yes!

Needle nose pliers or forceps

??? Nice to have, I guess. Don't you own a basic toolbox in the house?

Wire cutters, Nail clippers, or really sharp scissors

Yes.

Some delicious E-Liquid

Yes.

An iron will

Nah, just a little patience.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
Some tools you'll need before you start:

1. Kanthal Wire
  2. 1/16" or 14g blunt tip syringe or drill bit.
  3. A small screwdriver
  4. Butane or Propane torch with a means to ignite it
  5. Wicking material such as organic cotton, or Ekowool
  6. Needle nose pliers or forceps
  7. Wire cutters, Nail clippers, or really sharp scissors
  8. Some delicious E-Liquid
  9. An iron will
Do I really need a butane torch??
1. Check
2. I have a 1.5-3.5mm thingy I
3. I have tons
4. I'll skip that then
5. On the way
6. Who doesn't have those?
7. I have some, bought another since I don't know where...
8. DIY delicious liquid
9. Don't even know what that is..

Now, I'm not going to purchase anything vape related until next year. I've blown the budget. At least it'll be cheaper in the length. Then there's spare tanks and spare that, and nic I gotta stock upon before May next year. Annoying EU laws. If it weren't for them, I would never be stressing about making purchases and decisions like I am now.. :/

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
you might also want to get a pack of these
$7.74 Replacement RBA Coil Head for SUBTANK Mini Clearomizer (4-Pack) 4-pack - 0.5ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
3822800-3.jpg

so you can have a few coil heads prewrapped and ready to go.

and these just came out recently
$12.62 Replacement Nano RBA Coil Head for SUBTANK Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
3806800-1.jpg

they're a couple mm smaller in diameter so as to fit in the subtank nano, plus they use juice channels instead of the big juice holes in the sides so they should have less leak problems; should be better for higher ohm vaping.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
you might also want to get a pack of these
$7.74 Replacement RBA Coil Head for SUBTANK Mini Clearomizer (4-Pack) 4-pack - 0.5ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
3822800-3.jpg

so you can have a few coil heads prewrapped and ready to go.

and these just came out recently
$12.62 Replacement Nano RBA Coil Head for SUBTANK Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
3806800-1.jpg

they're a couple mm smaller in diameter so as to fit in the subtank nano, plus they use juice channels instead of the big juice holes in the sides so they should have less leak problems; should be better for higher ohm vaping.
I'll take a look :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread