Status
Not open for further replies.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
http://www[.]nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/dont-let-progress-on-tobacco-evaporate.html

"Cigarette smoking among adults has been declining since 1965, but in the mid-2000s progress stalled, mostly because state tobacco control programs were curtailed. In 2009, the country was back on track, thanks to an increase in the federal tax on cigarettes and a new law granting the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate tobacco products."

The recent decline (since 2009) couldn't possibly have anything to do with the coincidental increase in vaping. :lol:

And of course they go on to criticize efforts to move the grandfather date...

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
To them we haven't quit. So this is why they claim all the credit. Since all we did was switch from one form of tobacco to another, e cigs simply can't be credited toward the decline of tobacco use.
I hear it all the time from smokers around me when I tell them I vape now... "So you haven't REALLY quit smoking then"
If a smoker thinks that, the ANTZ could only be worse.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Funny how these types slamming vices most likely tank up on energy drinks during the day writing this stuff and get home and consistently down half a liter of scotch or gin every night (sometimes all day). IMHO
But alcoholism is not an addiction it is a disease... Yet another FDA mistake.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
But alcoholism is not an addiction it is a disease... Yet another FDA mistake.

Actually, all addictions are manifestations of the "addiction disease"... which isn't truly a disease, but a genetic anomaly found in roughly 10%-15% of any given population; it has a physical component which, when triggered, causes all manner of non-physical symptoms and personality traits; not all of those symptoms and traits are present or observable in everyone who's addicted to anything, but enough of them that they are pretty easily discerned by others -- one of those symptoms is that it's very hard for the person suffering it to see it, until it becomes so pronounced that many awful things may be happening -- divorce and/or troubled relationships, lost jobs, lost health, etc.

Even knowing that much about it, it's still not well understood. But it can be overcome.

Andria

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Actually, all addictions are manifestations of the "addiction disease"... which isn't truly a disease, but a genetic anomaly found in roughly 10%-15% of any given population; it has a physical component which, when triggered, causes all manner of non-physical symptoms and personality traits; not all of those symptoms and traits are present or observable in everyone who's addicted to anything, but enough of them that they are pretty easily discerned by others -- one of those symptoms is that it's very hard for the person suffering it to see it, until it becomes so pronounced that many awful things may be happening -- divorce and/or troubled relationships, lost jobs, lost health, etc.

Even knowing that much about it, it's still not well understood. But it can be overcome.

Andria
Same with drug addictions too on the genetic anomoly. I see it run in families. I only had the Cigarette addiction anomaly. I took opiates for over 15 years and just pretty much quit with no withdrawl or cravings. Of course I just took as needed for pain and got no buzz off of them.
I drank some but no cravings. But those cigs.... My father also smoked and then chewed with his tobacco addiction and my brother smokes still. Not able to convert him yet.

And a BIG congratulations on overcoming your drinkiing issues.

yes it is all the same thing basically but the gummit does not treat it the same. That is the mistake.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The sharp decline in analog cameras has nothing to do with increase in digital cameras (and smart phones). It is because of the ongoing efforts of the anti-analog camera crowd, and all that they've done since 1903. Because of their fine efforts, our landfills are now virtually free of the very hazardous material that is (or was) film stock. Next time you see someone not using an analog camera, why not take a moment and go up to your local anti-analog camera person and thank them for all their hard work. Perhaps you could also take a selfie with them, just to show you care. Btw, we favor the movement to tax all photos taken with all types of cameras.

(All this from not even reading the NYT article. How'd I do?)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Same with drug addictions too on the genetic anomoly. I see it run in families. I only had the Cigarette addiction anomaly. I took opiates for over 15 years and just pretty much quit with no withdrawl or cravings. Of course I just took as needed for pain and got no buzz off of them.
I drank some but no cravings. But those cigs.... My father also smoked and then chewed with his tobacco addiction and my brother smokes still. Not able to convert him yet.

And a BIG congratulations on overcoming your drinkiing issues.

yes it is all the same thing basically but the gummit does not treat it the same. That is the mistake.

Yes, exactly -- with all my addiction issues, I've never had any trouble with opiates; I take them if I truly need them (not any other time), and when the need for them is finished, I have no trouble eliminating them. And gambling to me is just dumb, though I did once get *slightly* bitten by the Bingo bug -- but after a couple months, with all the effort and money spent to win a $50 pot, I realized I had paid a lot more than $50 to win that prize, so I stopped, and no other form of gambling has ever bitten me -- sometimes we may buy a lottery ticket, but very often forget, because it's an occasional whim, not a need. I think that one (gambling addiction) is actually addiction to one's own adrenaline, and I actually hate that feeling -- I'm extremely risk-averse.

As far as I know, my son is not addicted to anything... but he's sure got the personality for it -- he wants what he wants and he wants it NOW. :D Given his genetic legacy from both myself and my husband, I'd be amazed if he DIDN'T have that quirk.

It's sad that the gov't doesn't seem to "get it" -- none of the addictions have the slightest thing to do with "character" -- it's all about what's in one's genes, and how the brain responds to any given drug or stimuli.

Andria

Reactions: skoony

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I live in AR where recently there was another mod catastrophe in the news. So now I have people telling me they are worried I will hurt myself....
:facepalm:
Just wait until they are worried about getting injured themselves.
That will hurt us more than the bogus second hand smoke scares ever did.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
The sharp decline in analog cameras has nothing to do with increase in digital cameras (and smart phones). It is because of the ongoing efforts of the anti-analog camera crowd, and all that they've done since 1903. Because of their fine efforts, our landfills are now virtually free of the very hazardous material that is (or was) film stock. Next time you see someone not using an analog camera, why not take a moment and go up to your local anti-analog camera person and thank them for all their hard work. Perhaps you could also take a selfie with them, just to show you care. Btw, we favor the movement to tax all photos taken with all types of cameras.

(All this from not even reading the NYT article. How'd I do?)
:thumbs:

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
To them we haven't quit. So this is why they claim all the credit. Since all we did was switch from one form of tobacco to another, e cigs simply can't be credited toward the decline of tobacco use.
I hear it all the time from smokers around me when I tell them I vape now... "So you haven't REALLY quit smoking then"
If a smoker thinks that, the ANTZ could only be worse.

Very true. Notice the attached photograph of a vaper 'smoking' an electronic cigarette. :?:

There are only two things I like about the NYT: Will Shortz, and occasionally Joe Nocera.
I'm hopelessly addicted to crossword puzzles. :D
Please don't tell the NYT about my crossword 'addiction'.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi

Andria

You sound like my first sponsor, and most of the counselors I had in rehab

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
You sound like my first sponsor, and most of the counselors I had in rehab

It's true that most who struggle with addictions have to learn as much as they can about addiction -- at least, those who struggle *successfully* with addiction. ;) Knowledge is power!

A rehab nurse/counselor was the one who finally got thru to my dad about his alcoholism; she said "maybe everytime you drink, you don't get in trouble; but everytime you get in trouble, had you been drinking?" He had to admit that that was certainly true, and it forced him to see his problem.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread