Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
What type of shipping were you looking at, UPS? I paid $3.64 for USPS.

I was wondering that too. He's in Croatia, but those things don't weigh much. I just ordered 100ml of flavoring from Poland, the registered airmail was around $5. Pretty sure 100ml of liquid weighs more than a Prometey. :D

Andria

Reactions: bigbob2322

klrcommute

Nov 25, 2015
Hey, all--first post here!

Recently decided to upgrade from nautilus and have been trying to find a manageable rebuildable with a similar draw. kayfun seemed like the standard until I came across this thread. You guys think an Achilles clone would be a good place to start for someone like me? And if so, where's the most reliable site to order from at the moment? Thanks!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Recently decided to upgrade from Nautilus and have been trying to find a manageable rebuildable with a similar draw. Kayfun seemed like the standard until I came across this thread. You guys think an Achilles clone would be a good place to start for someone like me? And if so, where's the most reliable site to order from at the moment? Thanks!

AFAIK, they're not available anywhere at the moment. A few here have ordered authentic Achilles 2's, and are still awaiting them. I think the rest of us are awaiting a clone of the Achilles 2, whenEVER Yeahsmo pulls their thumb out and makes them available.

Andria

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

Recently decided to upgrade from Nautilus and have been trying to find a manageable rebuildable with a similar draw. Kayfun seemed like the standard until I came across this thread. You guys think an Achilles clone would be a good place to start for someone like me? And if so, where's the most reliable site to order from at the moment? Thanks!
Don't confuse your atomizers. A Kayfun is a RTA (rebuildable tank). The Achilles is an RDA (rebuildable dripper). I use both. The Achilles offers up slightly better flavor. The Kayfun provides excellent flavor but with the added convenience that its a tank (less filling). Both have their places and both are excellent atomizers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Don't confuse your atomizers. A Kayfun is a RTA (rebuildable tank). The Achilles is an RDA (rebuildable dripper). I use both. The Achilles offers up slightly better flavor. The Kayfun provides excellent flavor but with the added convenience that its a tank (less filling). Both have their places and both are excellent atomizers.

That's perfectly true, but with the Achilles holding 2.5ml, it's as good as a small tank for capacity, and better, because it doesn't have all those pesky vacuum issues that cause so many problems. The 2.5ml capacity, plus the fact that you have to overfill it to make it leak, and certainly the very tight draw, is why the Achilles is the first RDA I've truly *loved*.

Andria

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
.... if it ever shows. I'm trying to be patient but....
075d314d8cf08d784c4113c6bc3b6c68.jpg

Reactions: MostlySunny

klrcommute

Nov 25, 2015
Gotcha. Thanks, everyone.

So technically the Achilles is for dripping but sounds like kind of a quasi-RTA considering it holds 2.5ml without spilling? Whatever the case, 2.5ml as long as it doesn't leak sounds about perfect to me. That's too bad about the supply issues for the Achilles; I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I suppose I could place an order direct from titanium-mods, but I hesitate to drop $120 right out the gate on fiddling with something new to me--would much prefer to find a reasonable clone to try first.

Should I maybe just get a cheap Igo RDA or something in the mean time to play around with and learn about coils and the like? Is there anything out there with a reasonably tight draw for mouth-to-lung?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Look for a Veritas clone for cheap. It is also highly leak resistant. Build is a little different but still a good way to learn how to build. It has a smaller capacity than an Achilles but still not bad. Vivid Smoke is out of stock but maybe you can find it somewhere else. It has an adjustable airflow so you can cinch it down as tight as you want.

http://www.vividsmoke.com/veritas-rda-clone-by-ehpro.html?search=Veritas

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Look for a Veritas clone for cheap. It is also highly leak resistant. Build is a little different but still a good way to learn how to build. It has a smaller capacity than an Achilles but still not bad. Vivid Smoke is out of stock but maybe you can find it somewhere else. It has an adjustable airflow so you can cinch it down as tight as you want.

Really not true about the airflow on the Veritas. I've tried everything I can think of, even just the tiniest sliver of the airhole showing, and i can't make a tootle puff out of that thing to save my life. There is simply no resistance to the draw at all.

Best "next-best" to an Achilles is a Kayfun, and then a Magma.

Andria

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Really not true about the airflow on the Veritas. I've tried everything I can think of, even just the tiniest sliver of the airhole showing, and i can't make a tootle puff out of that thing to save my life. There is simply no resistance to the draw at all.

Best "next-best" to an Achilles is a Kayfun, and then a Magma.

Andria
I have no problem restricting the airflow on my Veritas. I don't like that I have to realign it every time I take the top off but I can always restrict it to whatever level I want. And I prefer a tight draw too. And the Magma is not leak resistant. There are lots of great RDAs out there that impart excellent flavor but few are leak resistant. Achilles, Veritas, Micro/mini Drip, and Viking are a few that are.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have no problem restricting the airflow on my Veritas. I don't like that I have to realign it every time I take the top off but I can always restrict it to whatever level I want. And I prefer a tight draw too. And the Magma is not leak resistant. There are lots of great RDAs out there that impart excellent flavor but few are leak resistant. Achilles, Veritas, Micro/mini Drip, and Viking are a few that are.

I just can't get any decent MtL hit off the Veritas; it's like trying to "smoke a straw." It feels exactly the same as when I tried the Caterpillar, even with the barest sliver of the airhole showing. I wonder if the open-ness I'm feeling has more to do with the too-much-air, or the side-flow air.

I put the Veritas back in its little box; it's utterly useless to me. It's a clone, so I didn't pay much for it, so I reckon at some point I'll PIF it to someone who's even broker than I am. :)

I agree the Magma can be a real PITA; I've got the o-ring under the AFC ring, which helps the leaking *a little*, and it keeps the airflow setting stable when I remove the cap; I'm going to get a 12ga needle at some point and see about modding the deck airholes to try and REALLY fix the leak, but it would still be a home-only RDA since it has to remain vertical at all times.

Andria

Reactions: Bronze

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
I second the Magma (having no experience with the Veritas). Yes, you can't lay it on its side or overfill it but the flavor is very saturated, the juice reservoir is huge and the airflow can be adjusted from zero to a cyclone. And they're ubiquitous and can be dirt cheap: http://vapingcheap.com/magma-rda-clone/

Kayfuns can be daunting to a noob (at least I was intimidated the first time I saw like 88 parts disassembled on a table top), and their learning curve is longer than most.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I second the Magma (having no experience with the Veritas). Yes, you can't lay it on its side or overfill it but the flavor is very saturated, the juice reservoir is huge and the airflow can be adjusted from zero to a cyclone. And they're ubiquitous and can be dirt cheap: http://vapingcheap.com/magma-rda-clone/

Kayfuns can be daunting to a noob (at least I was intimidated the first time I saw like 88 parts disassembled on a table top), and their learning curve is longer than most.

That must be one of those new K4's with the many many parts; a KFL+ doesn't have that many at all; it was the first true rebuildable I ever tried, and I was hooked immediately -- all clearos were consigned to the dead-parts graveyard ziplock under the kitchen cabinet. It can be tricky to learn to wick it properly, especially if you start out doing it "bunny-ears" style. :D

I keep my Magma for juices I don't really want to vape too often -- anything tobacco-ish, usually. Or it's also very good for tasting, since the flavor is so true and rich. If I find that the 12ga-needle-mod is effective, I might get more, just for tasting, since they're quite inexpensive.

Wish the postal service would get off its .... and get y'all your Achilles 2's that were ordered; I'm really eager to hear about them!!!

Andria

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Wish the postal service would get off its .... and get y'all your Achilles 2's that were ordered; I'm really eager to hear about them!!!

Andria
I could easily be wrong (insofar as the tracking numbers we have only tracked as far as the US port of entry) but I suspect our Achilles have yet to be placed in the hands of the USPS, that they're still under quarantine until they're subjected to X-Rays and bomb-sniffing dogs.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I could easily be wrong (insofar as the tracking numbers we have only tracked as far as the US port of entry) but I suspect our Achilles have yet to be placed in the hands of the USPS, that they're still under quarantine until they're subjected to X-Rays and bomb-sniffing dogs.

Did it hit the NYC ISC? That place is a black hole, but they've apparently mastered teleportation. Last time I ordered shisha strawberry from Poland, it sat at the NYC ISC for a week... then magically appeared in my mailbox! :D

Got a new order of that on its way from Poland now...

Andria

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Did it hit the NYC ISC? That place is a black hole, but they've apparently mastered teleportation. Last time I ordered shisha strawberry from Poland, it sat at the NYC ISC for a week... then magically appeared in my mailbox! :D

Got a new order of that on its way from Poland now...

Andria
We don't know. The Ukranian tracking went into no more detail than "destination country."

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread