Another mod accident but this one has me baffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
NEVER said anything about legislation. Don't want the gov't in my life anymore than they already are!

It's statements like the one above that worry me......"I agree it's safety across the board but mech. mods are one of those things, they are what they are. Mech. mods aren't for everybody and weren't meant to be used by everybody. I don't see away to change that, the only thing I can see to make a mech. safer, is for people to be honest with themselves and their abilities."
I guess what I was looking for was someone who knows how to make them safer talk about what could be done instead of talking about changing people not working.
Safety is the first and foremost thing for me at work (machinist) and I'm very passionate about it! I used to believe that training was the only way to keep people safe but that only works with people who care about what they're doing & how they're doing it so I used to hate guarding. But now since I'm responsible for the safety of people who are just here to get a paycheck & aren't always focused on what they're doing guarding is essential! Door switches so the machine will stop if they open it while it's running, ect..
Not sorry about my passion for safety. But I do apologize if it made me seem or be argumentative.

You work in a machine shop, does it have open lathes and drill presses? There's no safety keeping you from putting your hand in between a drill bit and a part other than common sense. A person could get clothing and such caught in a lathe he most (should be all) operators know to not wear excessively loose clothing. Any layman can buy either of these tools and still get hurt in their garage by not following safe procedures, doesn't mean the equipment isn't safe. Look at a mech. mod as a tool and knowing how to use that tool. In your line of work safe work ethic is key to minimizing injuries, it's the same thing. If your shop has big equipment, I'm sure it has lock outs, safeties on built to machinery and possibly even emergency shutoffs. None of those mean a thing if one piece fails to work, so to keep saying make it safer, ask yourself how.

If there were safeties added it wouldn't change a thing and I think that is the point you keep missing. Safeties give the false assumption of being safe, do you stick your hand in machinery with a built in cut off? No you don't, you know it should stop running but you don't know if it will stop running. Electrical sockets in homes are more dangerous than a mech. mod, yet people still use them improperly and there are no news stories. The reason being is it is assumed that people should know electricity in their home is dangerous, well why shouldn't people assume the electricity in their mod is dangerous?

Electricity is the same be it AC voltage or DC voltage both can kill. Fuses and shut offs only work if effectively used and people that can't take the time to learn to use a mech. mod as it is now, will never take the time to make sure a safety is working correctly. No matter what is done, added safeties or not, people still HAVE to LEARN how to use them. I get what you are trying to accomplish but you are trying to make a sane rational fix to something that is done by insane/inane, irrational people. Not one person in this world can argue with crazy and/or stupid and win, it's just the way it is. I said before a 10 and 20 amp fuse would possibly help but it won't fix the problem, it quits working people will remove it and some would never buy another and hence back to where we are.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Which seems to run counter to the ENTIRE POINT of "news" as it was intended to be.

Exactly, news now is to keep us in line. The news says we need to trust the gov. entirely, that they are the only people to save and/or take care of us. I'm not saying the gov. is all bad, there are some great people that actually want to help others but as time has shown again and again, it is filled by greedy self serving folks more often than not.

Reactions: Kenna and DC2

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
May be the most plausible explanation yet but the vent holes are on the bottom. Wouldn't here have been some noticable venting first? I don't have any experience with mechs and don't plan to have any.
I wouldn't want to use any mod with vent holes only on the bottom.

If those vent holes at the bottom work properly, then it's a rocket ship to the face waiting to happen.
And if it doesn't work, due to battery swelling, then it's a pipe bomb.

Vent holes should be on the sides, so that the only thing your destroy is your hand.
And possibly burn your house down, but that's a secondary concern.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I think it's just a lack of understanding by some people across the board but with so many incidents that have happened, how have people still not realized the potential for dangers.
I think it would probably take about 50 more highly publicized incidents before it becomes common knowledge.
But that's just a wild guess on my part.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I do believe before this is all over......
Smart shop owners will make sure Mechanical mods are a Limited availability Specialty Item. Not a Fast Buck item.
The attraction of low cost is quickly becoming matched by Safer Regulated Mods.
This is where the General Public needs to start. Learn, then advance.

Baby walker
Tricycle
Bicycle
Then learn to drive
:D

(a few Go-karts would be cool too:w00t:)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I think another big part of the problem is that people are so used to batteries in everything they use; you know, "familiarity breeds contempt" -- at the very least it breeds complacency. The batteries we use are almost as small as the AAs that *everyone uses for everything* even though their chemistry makes them a lot more powerful than those alkalines that everyone is so accustomed to.

People don't stop to think that if all the power inside ANY kind of battery escapes all at once, it's gonna be a mess -- so when that happens with something that's being held close to the face... well that's a really BAD mess! People are using e-cigs in place of cigarettes, so they're close to or in the mouth, close to the face... and the refrain we all hear all the time is "why can't it be easy like a cigarette!" Well because it's NOT a cigarette -- but even a lit cigarette could burn down your house if you're not really careful!

Andria

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
So i've only read the first two pages of the thread. Cliffs :

- It didn't happen
- The injured party was stupid
- Stupid people should die sooner
- Personal trainers shouldn't be vaping
- The government sucks
- Fell off parallel bar, buddy faked explosion
- Reporter made up the story
- He was probably hit by a car
- He probably owed money to someone
- The government sucks
- "op" is a scam post set to feed government agenda
- Possible it's the hospital deceiving everyone
- Columbia school of journalism is at fault
- The mod maker should sue the media

Can anyone do a "Cliffs" of the next few pages ?

-

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
So i've only read the first two pages of the thread. Cliffs :

- It didn't happen
- The injured party was stupid
- Stupid people should die sooner
- Personal trainers shouldn't be vaping
- The government sucks
- Fell off parallel bar, buddy faked explosion
- Reporter made up the story
- He was probably hit by a car
- He probably owed money to someone
- The government sucks
- "op" is a scam post set to feed government agenda
- Possible it's the hospital deceiving everyone
- Columbia school of journalism is at fault
- The mod maker should sue the media

Can anyone do a "Cliffs" of the next few pages ?

-
That would be cheating! LOL!

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
I do believe before this is all over......
Smart shop owners will make sure Mechanical mods are a Limited availability Specialty Item. Not a Fast Buck item.
The attraction of low cost is quickly becoming matched by Safer Regulated Mods.
This is where the General Public needs to start. Learn, then advance.

Baby walker
Tricycle
Bicycle
Then learn to drive
:D

(a few Go-karts would be cool too:w00t:)
Most shops like to push mechs on people. One of the ones near me takes it a step further and tells you you're vaping wrong if you're not using a mech. Have seen them laugh at people using ego batteries.

Reactions: Kenna

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Getting hurt by a mechanical mod is a bit like shooting yourself with your own gun.
I just can't get on board with that statement.

Everybody over the age of 10 knows that guns can be extremely dangerous.
I would say that less than 35% of the population knows that to be the case with batteries.

Reactions: danjaman

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I just can't get on board with that statement.

Everybody over the age of 10 knows that guns can be extremely dangerous.
I would say that less than 35% of the population knows that to be the case with batteries.
Mech mods are a machismo thing. They are more manly because they are risky. Having said that, I don't use unregulated devices and have no intention of starting. They could be safer with more venting and inline fuses. I've though it should be possible to make an inline module with bluetooth that could have all the protections, watts control, temp control and be configurable with a smart phone. But the macho guys wouldn't go for that. Mechs were on my roadmap until I saw some batteries vented on purposes in youtube videos. I wonder how many of the batteries involved in these recent mech accidents involved using the wrong battery or a fake. Even so the mech tubes I've looked at were not adequately vented. There's plenty of blame to go around.

The market will take care of this. US retailers will stop carrying them for liability reasons.

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I'ts fine with me if they did away with the mechs. I have 9 mechs that I bought cause they are quality and long lasting and will have them when all others are gone. Add to that my reliable vv, and vw"s. In almost 5 years of vaping, not one problem with my mechs. I had two cheaper vw's that fried on me. So, just saying that the mechs, are not that dangerous, at least I don't consider them to be. In the hands of a nube that doesn't know what's going on, yes, they can be. But that's on the nube for not researching. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread