Not open for further replies.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Charges her cellphone and ecig battery on her bed? Can you say stupid? And apparently it just set things on fire not exploded.
Prolly was wrapped up in covers and overheated and shorted out the circuitry.

Stupid is right!

The headline should read "Stupid Woman Sets Bed on Fire."

Who charges anything on their bed?

:facepalm:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
If it is wrapped up in a blanket it could easily overheat causing an electronic component in the charging circuit to fail and could cause a fire.
And device mod or not could do this. Many cases of cell phones doing this.
With that said the Istick 50 does seem to have a history of the charging circuit melting down.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Actually there is hundreds of threads around the net on iStick 50 watt mods catching on fire , this is nothing new . Reddit alone has numerous pages of Istick 50 watt fires and charging on a bed was not mentioned .

Supposedly Eleaf fixed the issue but some are still out there.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
"Been using it about a year now," she told Local 10 News. "Every night (I) plug it in on my bed. No problems."
That is no problems until the morning of Nov. 20, whe Kruzyck said she and her fiancé awoke to find that the e-cigarette had burst into flames.
"I had my cellphone sitting somewhere on the bed, and I had the e-cigarette plugged in," Kruzyck said.

if it's a year old, it would be one of those early ones that had trouble.

Reactions: EBates

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Let's talk about - paying attention. I use good equipment, not the cheapest, or the most expensive - the products that at that time had the best record. The other day my trusty Nitecore I4 charger started "ghost" charging a slot that didn't have a battery in it. What was my reaction? I retired the barely one year old charger and bought a new one! $25 or $35 dollars is not worth risking my home or my health.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
What caused the early iStick 50s to have problems. I've got one. Should I get rid of it?

I have 3. I suspect this:

1. Juice can leak into the 510 and cause an autofire situation. Be careful using RDAs or tanks that are leaking.
2. Lack of venting.
3. Components are subpar for a 50W mod. Thin wiring and a poor capacitor on the board. Apparently that capacitor was replaced on later models.
4. People using the wrong charger.

I treat mine as 30W mods and use lower power tanks on them. They are nearly 10 months old now and I haven't experienced any issues with them because I'm being careful. But, these things are just not meant to be 50W mods that can fire 0.2 ohm builds as advertised. Yeah, they can do it...for a little while. Then you may experience a fire or explosion. If that capacitor goes it will set on fire.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Hmmmm... My thoughts are - battery was overcharged, vented hydrogen gas, static sparked igniting said hydrogen, and POOF! Mattress in flames. "Explosion" was probably the battery wrap popping whilst batteries continued to vent due to heat causing pressure to build inside the batteries themselves. I know a bunch of people that own iStick 50's and nobody has blown themselves up with them yet.

LOL @ Mech mod... ROFLMAO! Why so we can read the news "Woman Suicide Bombed with Mechanical E-Cigarette"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread