Mixing Flavor Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
I know that there is no rule about this, but it seems like many recipes I look up are using flavors from only 1 company. Either all TFA, FA, LA, etc... While I assume you can mix up these companies, is there any reason most people don't? Usually the only ingredient I see that is from somewhere else is one that enhances the taste (ie. sweet, acetyl pyrazine, sour).

Most of my flavors come from TFA, CAP, and FA. I know FA is supposed to really strong (I haven't used them yet). When I mix with those from TFA, will they overpower the other ingredients?

Reactions: BrotherBob

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I do mix different companies with a lot of success and sometimes still just mix using a single companies flavors. My Peppermint Bark has flavors from three different companies and is outstanding.

I think for some it's about the flavor profile that is preferred for a particular vapors tastes. Overall I use mostly TFA but Cap and FW are in my cabinet. And the one ringer for me is One Stop DIY Blue Raspberry Slush. Damn it's good!

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I try to find reviews for each general flavor and weigh the comments before I buy. Not bullet proof but then again DIY is still in it's infancy. Time and consumers will weed out the bad supplier flavors and graduate the good ones-- hopefully.
I have noticed that every supplier has certain flavors they excell in.

Reactions: Kenna

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I use flavors from all the common companies. I mix and match based on how I like a flavor. No concern over who makes it. Last night I made a cinnamon apple crumble with fa, tfa, and cap.

There is no rule. If you like the result bravo. If others like the result even better!

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
Most of my cream flavors are TFA. I like that they make a line that is diketone free. For fruits (which I mostly like to vape), I have an assortment. Obviously, it's subjective, but who do you guys like when it comes to fruits?

To be more specific, I am working on some cheesecake/cake recipes and a few fruity cereal ones. I think I have the cereal down. A little more steeping, and a tiny tweak will make it perfect.

Last edited:

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Most of my cream flavors are TFA. I like that they make a line that is diketone free. For fruits (which I mostly like to vape), I have an assortment. Obviously, it's subjective, but who do you guys like when it comes to fruits?

Yeah I use TFA for all my creams, Marshmallow, Custards and anything in that area. I get some fruits from Flavor West. I also get my peanut butter from FW. I get my NY Cheesecake from CAP. I also use INW for a few things.

Taste is subjective though. I suppose you will have to try a few out and see what really tastes best for you.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
That's what I've been starting to do. I started with almost all CAP. Now I'm moving on to TFA. I have noticed that some of the fruits I like from CAP have acetoin and AP. So I'm starting to try and find others. I'll sacrifice that perfect taste for a safer vape

I'm not worried about Diacetyl or Acetoin/AP. I can understand if others are though. When you order just always check their fine print. Hopefully all have that listed. You might not want to order from FW though. I think some of their stuff has it. They may have listed it on their site now... I'm not sure. I don't pay attention to that to be honest.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I have found fruits I like. Inawera is pretty good fa is very good as well. I love cap sweet strawberry.

And tfa cheesecake graham crust is great. I punch it up with a little Hangsen Italian cream. It adds that sour punch most flavors are missing. And wicked strong. Just a couple drops goes a long way

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
I started getting stuff from Wizard Labs, but they don't always list everything. Bull City Vapor does a much better job listing ingredients

I ordered a few flavors from Bull City Vapor just to test out their INW line. After I found some I really like I ordered those straight from Poland where it's made. I buy in bulk (4oz bottles) at about 12 per order. I have over 200 flavors now. All from various vendors. Of course I make juice for a lot of family and friends. So I need a big supply of flavors.

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
I just got started, and only made a few recipes so far. None came out just right, yet. Plus I only have 2-3 friends who vape, so I may be making their juices once I get the mixes right.

I'm holding off on my next juice order since it'll be pretty big. I want to get a good deal over the weekend. Unfortunately, that means I can't try a few new recipes because I really need some different citrus.

What I'm really looking for is a great smurf mix. I'm also dabbling in pineapple. But that keeps eluding me. It's always too strong

Last edited:

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
I just mixed up a new trial pineapple cheesecake. I actually took the NY cheesecake out, and replaced it with 3% DX bavarian cream (TFA), and 2% vanilla swirl (TFA). I also added 2% mango (CAP) to bring out the citrus. My wife's mother makes a cheese pie that is topped with cinnamon. So when that comes in the mail I'll add a tiny dash to see what it does

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I just mixed up a new trial pineapple cheesecake. I actually took the NY cheesecake out, and replaced it with 3% DX bavarian cream (TFA), and 2% vanilla swirl (TFA). I also added 2% mango (CAP) to bring out the citrus. My wife's mother makes a cheese pie that is topped with cinnamon. So when that comes in the mail I'll add a tiny dash to see what it does

Which cheesecake do you have?

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
I have a few, but for that I used CAP. I haven't tried others yet. I know CAP has AP and/or Acetoin. I'm waiting for my TFA version, and I might try Hangsen's, too. TFA makes one that has a more pronounced graham crust, which doesn't have AP or acetoin. I'm looking forward to trying it.

That recipe is:
5% Graham Cracker (CAP)
3% DX Bav Cream (TFA)
2% Vanillan Swirl (TFA)
3% Golden Pineapple (CAP)
2% Mango (TFA)

I'm trying to work out the crust issues. It tastes fine, but for some reason, the crust is really undefined. I've made a few different trials, and that is the main issue with all of them. I'd rather not go too much higher with it. I you know of a graham cracker that is stronger, I'd appreciate it

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Tfa cheesecake graham crust is very good. No need to figure out a crust with it. Haven't tried hangsens offering.

To enhance the crust you could try a single drop of AP in 50mls. Or on a 10ml test batch swirl a toothpick dipped in AP into the mix so you are getting less than a drop. It is wicked strong to me. But enhances bready crust or nutty type flavors.

The cheesecake graham crust sort of blew me away. So good. One of tfa's best flavors imo

Edit. And by AP I mean acetyl pyrazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread