Eleaf iStick 60W TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
And to top things off, when I went to disassemble the Melo 2 to clean it, the glass tube broke. I haven't seen any replacements available yet, so into the drawer it goes.
RodeoGeorge
You can order a replacement glass direct from Eleaf here. Having had mine apart a few times, I can see how you broke the glass as it's not very friendly in coming off the gaskets. Sadly, the glass and shipping will probably be about half of what you could buy the entire Melo 2 for..
Sorry to hear about you experience with the TC60. It's taken me a full week to learn it and dial in my settings to find what works for me.

Hammy75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks @Douggro for the review. I might put it on my Christmas wish list:)

As a matter of disclosure, this is the first Sub/TC mod I've owned. I purchased the kit with the Melo 2 tank and the 0.3 Kanthal, 0.5 Ti and 0.15 Ni coils included.

First, the really bad thing is that you have to read the excruciatingly small-print manual to learn the functions to use the TC aspect effectively. (I had found a PDF version of the manual but can't recall which site I pulled it from; the PDF is much easier to read for us old-ish folks who need readers to see.)

Once you learn that you need to lock the coil resistance for TC mode to work properly, I'd say it works very well. Locking the coil resistance is crucial - it's a nasty experience if you don't. Trust me on this. 'Nuff said. ;) I'm running the Ti coil right now (0.46ohms) with with an 85VG/15PG juice at 53.5w @ 530F in the Melo 2 with the airflow about 75% open and it delivers a nice warmish vape with good flavor and cloud. I have yet to try the Ni coil, but that's going to go in soon so I can evaluate its performance. Currently my local vendor only carries the Ni coils, so I want to run the Ti coil until it gives up the ghost and see what the coil life is. I'm about 7 days in on it right now and it's still performing well. I'll have to factor in my abuse of the Ti coil when I first started using it in TC mode by not having the resistance locked in.. I think a coil life of two weeks is not unreasonable to expect for the Ti coil at this point.

The unit defaults to 60w when you use TC mode the first time and that's pushing the unit IMHO. At 60w, the unit struggles to maintain the temperature mark and will "surge" for the first few seconds then settle down to a mostly-consistent draw. I'd attribute this to the TC module having a hard time at full wattage trying to hit and maintain the desired temp. Dropping the wattage down to the 50w range evens it out and makes for a much more consistent draw and vape. There's a small lag of perhaps one second on your first hit at the lower wattages until the coil comes up to temp, but I think that's tolerable given the operation characteristic at the full 60w setting. Follow-up hits once the coil has some heat in it are quick to hit temp and are nice and consistent.

In comparison to when I was using the 0.3 Kanthal coil (same juice @ ~30w) the Temp Control experience is significantly better in my opinion. Concurrent hits on the 0.3 Kanthal got the unit hot, even at 30w, and would make for burnt hits. In TC mode with the wattage adjusted down I have yet to get a burnt hit even when taking five or six consecutive hits from it.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
As a matter of disclosure, this is the first Sub/TC mod I've owned. I purchased the kit with the Melo 2 tank and the 0.3 Kanthal, 0.5 Ti and 0.15 Ni coils included.

First, the really bad thing is that you have to read the excruciatingly small-print manual to learn the functions to use the TC aspect effectively. (I had found a PDF version of the manual but can't recall which site I pulled it from; the PDF is much easier to read for us old-ish folks who need readers to see.)

Once you learn that you need to lock the coil resistance for TC mode to work properly, I'd say it works very well. Locking the coil resistance is crucial - it's a nasty experience if you don't. Trust me on this. 'Nuff said. ;) I'm running the Ti coil right now (0.46ohms) with with an 85VG/15PG juice at 53.5w @ 530F in the Melo 2 with the airflow about 75% open and it delivers a nice warmish vape with good flavor and cloud. I have yet to try the Ni coil, but that's going to go in soon so I can evaluate its performance. Currently my local vendor only carries the Ni coils, so I want to run the Ti coil until it gives up the ghost and see what the coil life is. I'm about 7 days in on it right now and it's still performing well. I'll have to factor in my abuse of the Ti coil when I first started using it in TC mode by not having the resistance locked in.. I think a coil life of two weeks is not unreasonable to expect for the Ti coil at this point.

The unit defaults to 60w when you use TC mode the first time and that's pushing the unit IMHO. At 60w, the unit struggles to maintain the temperature mark and will "surge" for the first few seconds then settle down to a mostly-consistent draw. I'd attribute this to the TC module having a hard time at full wattage trying to hit and maintain the desired temp. Dropping the wattage down to the 50w range evens it out and makes for a much more consistent draw and vape. There's a small lag of perhaps one second on your first hit at the lower wattages until the coil comes up to temp, but I think that's tolerable given the operation characteristic at the full 60w setting. Follow-up hits once the coil has some heat in it are quick to hit temp and are nice and consistent.

In comparison to when I was using the 0.3 Kanthal coil (same juice @ ~30w) the Temp Control experience is significantly better in my opinion. Concurrent hits on the 0.3 Kanthal got the unit hot, even at 30w, and would make for burnt hits. In TC mode with the wattage adjusted down I have yet to get a burnt hit even when taking five or six consecutive hits from it.

Hi,

What do you mean by resistance lock? This mod has no such thing! If it detects a large change in resistance when putting on a new device, it asks if it is new coil or not. Answering one way or the other is all you can do. At this point the base resistance is fixed. Is this what you mean by 'resistance lock'??

I am also unclear as to why you think the device will struggle to maintain temp at 60W but finds it easier at 50W?!?! This makes no sense under most conditions for an 18650 battery. For most builds 30W or even less is enough to maintain temperature. Anything extra just gets you there quicker.

Also, if you have seriously overheated the Ti coil, I would change it out!

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hi,

What do you mean by resistance lock? This mod has no such thing! If it detects a large change in resistance when putting on a new device, it asks if it is new coil or not. Answering one way or the other is all you can do. At this point the base resistance is fixed. Is this what you mean by 'resistance lock'??

I am also unclear as to why you think the device will struggle to maintain temp at 60W but finds it easier at 50W?!?! This makes no sense under most conditions for an 18650 battery. For most builds 30W or even less is enough to maintain temperature. Anything extra just gets you there quicker.

Also, if you have seriously overheated the Ti coil, I would change it out!
For using the Ti or Ni coils in TC mode, the TC60 instructions are to press the FIRE and UP buttons for two seconds to lock or unlock the base coil resistance when the unit is cool. A lock icon will appear next to the coil resistance reading on the display when it is locked to the coil. If you put in a new coil or atty with it unlocked in TC mode, it will give you the "New Coil?" screen; otherwise with it locked, it assumes that you're putting the same coil/atty back on. I've verified this by changing out my atty to run in VW mode then come back to the TC atty and it doesn't even blink when I kick it into TC mode.

When I ran my unit without having the coil lock engaged, it was not a pleasant experience. With the unit trying to hit temp and reading changing resistance from the coil, it surged and stopped several times during a hit. Often in the surges it would overshoot and start delivering a burnt hit then immediately ramp down and be fine until it thought it needed to add power back to the coil and the process would start again. This would happen in the first few seconds of the hit. Once the coil had some heat in it, it wasn't as bad - but it would still surge somewhat, and the whole process would start again once the coil cooled down. This (mostly) went away when I engaged the coil lock function.

As for the difference in performance at full 60w power versus running it at lower wattages in TC mode, what I have found is that at the 60w setting, there's still some of that "surge" like not having the coil lock engaged. Not as bad by any measure, just enough to be noticeable and affect the hit I'm getting. Dropping the power into the low 50w range (and lower) eliminated this completely. I don't know what the polling interval is for the unit reading the resistance in TC mode, but my speculation is that at 60w it's not fast enough to effectively manage the power cycling to maintain the temp properly. Again, I'm running my temps in the low 500F range so this most certainly could be a contributing factor to the situation.

I don't think that I've seriously overheated the Ti coil at this point - maybe some singeing of the wicking - as the resistance has remained solid at 0.46, verified on another unit. But thanks for the precautionary warning.:)

Reactions: Wheats

Wheats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Union NJ
Yesterday finally got a chance to test out this device. Put in the Ti coil, set it to Ti, but didn't lock in the reading. So it kept on asking me if it had a new coil when taking off the tank and clicking around. At 400-450 I noticed some odd taste, not burnt, but something. After 20 pulls the flavor improved. Pretty nice clouds and flavor. Strangely today after a few pulls I noticed the device was in Ni mode with my Ti coil in there. Was vaping on it and then was getting odd results, such as temp control kicking in immediately. Now the flavor has dropped off. Did I ruin the coil? What is the impact of running a Ti coil in Ni mode?

For the most part I like the device. Complete with battery and tank it's got some weight to it. I have been using an istick30 with a subtank mini RTA recently.

I think the issue is the temp setting actually. When I set the temp for 500 and drop the watts down to 55.00 seems to hit like beast, a warm, controlled beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Yesterday finally got a chance to test out this device. Put in the Ti coil, set it to Ti, but didn't lock in the reading. So it kept on asking me if it had a new coil when taking off the tank and clicking around. At 400-450 I noticed some odd taste, not burnt, but something. After 20 pulls the flavor improved. Pretty nice clouds and flavor. Strangely today after a few pulls I noticed the device was in Ni mode with my Ti coil in there. Was vaping on it and then was getting odd results, such as temp control kicking in immediately. Now the flavor has dropped off. Did I ruin the coil? What is the impact of running a Ti coil in Ni mode?

For the most part I like the device. Complete with battery and tank it's got some weight to it. I have been using an istick30 with a subtank mini RTA recently.

I think the issue is the temp setting actually. When I set the temp for 500 and drop the watts down to 55.00 seems to hit like beast, a warm, controlled beast.

What power setting were you running prior to the changes you made?

I don't know what running a Ti coil in Ni mode will do to it - I haven't researched that aspect of it, other than I know that Ti and Ni have different temp/resistance curves programmed on TC mods.

Wheats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Union NJ
What power setting were you running prior to the changes you made?

I don't know what running a Ti coil in Ni mode will do to it - I haven't researched that aspect of it, other than I know that Ti and Ni have different temp/resistance curves programmed on TC mods.

Out of the box it was at 60 watts. I guess in my haste to try out TC I didn't step it down. The coil doesn't seem damaged at all just some flavor loss. At the moment I am getting better flavor off my subtank RBA mini 1.1ohm kanthal at 12-14 watts (non TC) then with the melo 2 Ti coil at between 450-500 degrees, watts set at 55

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Out of the box it was at 60 watts. I guess in my haste to try out TC I didn't step it down. The coil doesn't seem damaged at all just some flavor loss. At the moment I am getting better flavor off my subtank RBA mini 1.1ohm kanthal at 12-14 watts (non TC) then with the melo 2 Ti coil at between 450-500 degrees, watts set at 55
I've got a brand new Ti coil waiting to fire. I was holding off doing that for my order of new flavors from MBV to arrive, but it seems that the USPS has screwed me of that chance by mis-delivering my order. :-x :-x I'll have to visit the local B&M to stock some more juice to get me through. Anyway, I too noticed that it took at least 1/4 tank of juice for the coil to really hit its flavor delivery legs, and that was when I didn't have the coil resistance locked and it was being funky. With the new coil and what I've learned from my initial mistakes, I'm very curious to see how it performs.

I'm jealous of your Subtank setup. I'd really love it if Eleaf made a 1.0 - 1.5 coil for the Melo 2. The 1.8 Triton coils fit but I had issues with getting reliable connection in the atty, and the Triton coils are so tight that I didn't really enjoy it much. It worked, but not as well as I would have liked.

Reactions: pufZeppelin

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I've got a brand new Ti coil waiting to fire. Anyway, I too noticed that it took at least 1/4 tank of juice for the coil to really hit its flavor delivery legs, and that was when I didn't have the coil resistance locked and it was being funky. With the new coil and what I've learned from my initial mistakes, I'm very curious to see how it performs.

I'm jealous of your Subtank setup. I'd really love it if Eleaf made a 1.0 - 1.5 coil for the Melo 2.
The 1.8 Triton coils fit but I had issues with getting reliable connection in the atty,
and the Triton coils are so tight that I didn't really enjoy it much. It worked, but not as well as I would have liked.

maybe try swapping the bottom POS pin...

then there's always these...
- Aspire Triton RDA (RTA) Kit - 101 Vape

;)

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
maybe try swapping the bottom POS pin...

then there's always these...
- Aspire Triton RDA (RTA) Kit - 101 Vape

;)
That would presume that I have another pin to swap it out with. ;) It would have to be a longer pin as I think the contact issue is with shape of the Triton coil base not fitting into the recess around the pin in the Melo 2; the stock coils have a narrower post to fit into the recess. The same issue may affect the RTA kit, and I'm not to the point of wanting to roll my own coils yet.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
you take a PIN out of the Melo 2 coil
then put it in the Triton coil
called 'swapping' pins
:D

watch a video, pay attention to the difference of the triton rta
o_O Err.. I thought you were talking about the atty pin. Doh! :confused: This gets intriguing because the Melo coil base is more of a bar with a slot cut in it that runs right into the coil chimney, while the Triton coil uses a full round base with two small-ish air holes. Hmmmmmm… it could work. :)

Wheats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Union NJ
running ti in Ni mode generally requires backing down the set temp by around 100F or so. Effectively, if you dont do this you were running your Ti coil at a temperature a temperature 100F or so higher than the set value!

Ah! That makes sense. So at the time device was in Ni mode my 400-450 was actually 500 to 550. Which isn't terrible but not optimal and why at some point I got huge ramp ups and fluctuations.

Wheats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
Union NJ
I've got a brand new Ti coil waiting to fire. I was holding off doing that for my order of new flavors from MBV to arrive, but it seems that the USPS has screwed me of that chance by mis-delivering my order. :-x :-x I'll have to visit the local B&M to stock some more juice to get me through. Anyway, I too noticed that it took at least 1/4 tank of juice for the coil to really hit its flavor delivery legs, and that was when I didn't have the coil resistance locked and it was being funky. With the new coil and what I've learned from my initial mistakes, I'm very curious to see how it performs.

I'm jealous of your Subtank setup. I'd really love it if Eleaf made a 1.0 - 1.5 coil for the Melo 2. The 1.8 Triton coils fit but I had issues with getting reliable connection in the atty, and the Triton coils are so tight that I didn't really enjoy it much. It worked, but not as well as I would have liked.

I agree it takes a bunch of pulls for it to improve. Prior to my subtank I was using a nautilus mini and a derringer RDA, but wanted to build to my preferences, save money on coils, and not have to continually refill or drop. I almost threw the damb subtank out, then I got the wicking right and put it on a decent device. Very happy with it.

I was going to get some Triton heads but thing I will hold off based on your experience.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I agree it takes a bunch of pulls for it to improve. Prior to my subtank I was using a nautilus mini and a derringer RDA, but wanted to build to my preferences, save money on coils, and not have to continually refill or drop. I almost threw the damb subtank out, then I got the wicking right and put it on a decent device. Very happy with it.

I was going to get some Triton heads but thing I will hold off based on your experience.
I'm going to try puffZep's idea of dropping the Melo 2 pin on the Triton coil and see how that works. I'd kinda given up on the Triton coil so I got nothing to lose really.

Just fired with new Ti coil after pre-loading it and letting it sit in the tank for over 30 minutes with a juice I know pretty well. Short hits to start, 50w @ 400F and it still delivers a funky taste on some of the hits. Gonna keep it there for a while before ramping up the temp setting. I'm becoming more convinced that these coils take a good 1/4 tank to really get their legs under them.

Tra1969

Nov 29, 2015
Kalamazoo, MI
New tobt
That is about all I get out of my two different single 18650 TC mods - ~1/2 a day or less. For true full day vaping I need to use a dual 18650 mod. (LG HG2's in all)
New to the forum. So your LG HG2 held up all day? Where can I get one? The Vape shop sold me two MXjo 3.7v 2500MAH 35A. They last about 4 hour max. Really would like one that would last all day. Really great mid for me if I can get a good battery.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
New to the forum. So your LG HG2 held up all day? Where can I get one? The Vape shop sold me two MXjo 3.7v 2500MAH 35A. They last about 4 hour max. Really would like one that would last all day. Really great mid for me if I can get a good battery.
First, Welcome! from another relative fresh addition to ECF.

Best bet for finding the LG's is to shop through the list of Forum Suppliers as they can be hard to find in stock. Bear in mind that GeorgeS was referring to using the LG's in a dual-batt mod and getting all day out of them, not in the single-batt TC60.

Tra1969

Nov 29, 2015
Kalamazoo, MI
First, Welcome! from another relative fresh addition to ECF.

Best bet for finding the LG's is to shop through the list of Forum Suppliers as they can be hard to find in stock. Bear in mind that GeorgeS was referring to using the LG's in a dual-batt mod and getting all day out of them, not in the single-batt TC60.

Thanks, Douggro. I figured it out after a bit more research. eleaf defaults to the 60w max when in TC mode. I turned it down to 35w and the same temp and works great and still get the same vape, just takes a second to get to temp. And seem to solve the strange pulsing issue when I take a longer draw. So far I can already see a huge difference. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread