18 studies,critique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I don't do Facebook, so I couldn't comment there. I would have pointed out that #4 (Exposure to Electronic Cigarettes Impairs Pulmonary Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Viral Defenses in a Mouse Model) makes the claim that "More importantly, cigarette smoke exposure impairs innate and adaptive immune responses against bacteria and viruses, which predispose to COPD exacerbations, a major contributor to COPD-related morbidity, mortality and health care costs [14]."

But when you actually look at [14], it found that current cigarette smoking was NOT a risk for mortality (current smoking HR 0.97 (0.63-1.48))! It goes to illustrate what a Potemkin Village their pseudo-science is. It's designed to look "sciency" to credulous people who never look beneath the surface.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I don't do Facebook, so I couldn't comment there. I would have pointed out that #4 (Exposure to Electronic Cigarettes Impairs Pulmonary Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Viral Defenses in a Mouse Model) makes the claim that "More importantly, cigarette smoke exposure impairs innate and adaptive immune responses against bacteria and viruses, which predispose to COPD exacerbations, a major contributor to COPD-related morbidity, mortality and health care costs [14]."

But when you actually look at [14], it found that current cigarette smoking was NOT a risk for mortality (current smoking HR 0.97 (0.63-1.48))! It goes to illustrate what a Potemkin Village their pseudo-science is. It's designed to look "sciency" to credulous people who never look beneath the surface.

Also, the academic editor of that PLoS One mouse study was Dennis W. Metzger of Albany Medical College. He failed to perform his minimal editorial duty to check out that link. Not only that, but he should have known better than to rubberstamp such a fatuous claim, because his past work shows that a strong immune response against flu virus can increase the risk of bacterial pneumonia.

Inhibition of pulmonary antibacterial defense by interferon-gamma during recovery from influenza infection. - PubMed - NCBI

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

Also, the academic editor of that PLoS One mouse study was Dennis W. Metzger of Albany Medical College. He failed to perform his minimal editorial duty to check out that link. Not only that, but he should have known better than to rubberstamp such a fatuous claim, because his past work shows that a strong immune response against flu virus can increase the risk of bacterial pneumonia.

Inhibition of pulmonary antibacterial defense by interferon-gamma during recovery from influenza infection. - PubMed - NCBI
?
albuquerque-2.jpg

Hi Carol.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread