Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, round one:

#1: Amelia is a widow. She lost her husband in a car crash while he was on his way to the hospital to help give birth to their son, Samuel. She now has to deal with being a single mother whose son is excessively scared of monsters. She finds a children's book in the house titled ((THE NAME OF THIS MOVIE)), but has no recollection of how it got there. Amelia soon discovers, though, that this children's book character may be a sinister presence lurking around her home.

#2: Playing the title character in this movie, Steve McQueen sports a butterfly tattoo in the center of his chest. The film is set primarily on the Devil's Island penal colony in French Guiana, where McQueen's character and Dustin Hoffman's "Louis" form a life-long friendship.

#3: Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is divorced, unable to keep a stable job, and has failed at many business ventures. His ex-wife believes that he is a bad example to their ten-year-old son, and Larry fears that the boy respects his future stepfather more than him. Larry gets a job as a night watchman, and soon discovers that a magical Egyptian artifact is causing the inanimate antiquities he's guarding to come to life at night.

#4: Two years have passed since Ted Striker heroically saved many lives by preventing an airline crash. Working as a test pilot for a new Lunar Shuttle, he gets innocently sent into a mental ward after a crash of the badly constructed, computer-navigated spaceship. When he hears that exactly the same type of shuttle is scheduled for a moon flight soon, he breaks out to hinder the launch. Hilarity ensues, though it's not nearly as pervasive as it was in the original film, (this movie is a sequel). Also, in case you couldn't tell, that's William Shatner in the screenshot.

Hope these helped! :D

movie-quiz_108.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Okay -- Google-cheated to find #1. You could have shown the entire movie, instead of just a still, and I still wouldn't have had a clue about the title. I was right on #2, #3, and #4.
It's actually quite good, FantWriter. After the first time I watched it, I felt a bit let down. But, upon reflection afterward, I realized that the movie had a depth that I failed to fully recognize. This, of course, prompted a second viewing that was most rewarding.

Ohhh crap, I just realized how to edit
Thanks for editing, qBan. :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, part 2:

#5: Five Vermont highway patrol cops, avid pranksters with a knack for screwing up, try to save their jobs and out-do the local police department by solving a crime.

#6: A large spider from the jungles of South America is accidentally transported in a crate with a dead body to America where it mates with a local spider. Soon after, the deadly spider offspring cause a rash of deaths and start to threaten the entire town. It's up to a couple of doctors with the help of an insect exterminator to annihilate these eight legged freaks.

#7: An NYPD cop is 'killed' in an accident. The death is faked, and he is inducted into the organization CURE, dedicated to preserving the constitution by working outside of it. This cop, the movie's titular character, is to become the enforcement wing (assassin) of CURE, and learns the ancient Korean martial art of Sinanju, which is the art of killing someone and making it seem like an accident or natural causes. Based on the popular pulp series "The Destroyer," by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy.

#8: Walter Burns, editor of a major Chicago newspaper, is about to lose his ace reporter and former wife, Hildy Johnson, to insurance salesman Bruce Baldwin, but not without a fight! The crafty editor uses every trick in his fedora to get Hildy to write one last big story, about murderer Earl Williams and the inept Sheriff Hartwell. The comedy snowballs as a number of peripheral characters all get tied up in Walter's web.

Hope these helped! :)

movie-quiz_108_5-8.jpg

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
I enjoyed #1 a good deal more than I thought I would (hadn't read a word about it, caught it as a midnight movie and it did manage to spook me just a bit on my long walk home o_O).

Still just as clueless about #5.

Yes, and that's obviously saying a lot! I think Billy and Howard were having some kind of competition in that department.

Maybe so, but Howard didn't write any of that snappy dialogue, so score one for Billy :cool: (niggling :p).

I remember watching AFI's Top 100 Comedies special with a roomful of (rather tipsy) people and all of us (rather loudly :facepalm:) cursing the TV set when #8 didn't rank higher on the list (AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs - don't click if you don't want another potential hint).

Welcome to ECF, @qBan! Cool that you found caff's quiz on your first day here :thumb:.

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: The Babadook
Amelia is a widow. She lost her husband in a car crash while he was on his way to the hospital to help give birth to their son, Samuel. She now has to deal with being a single mother whose son is excessively scared of monsters. She finds a children's book in the house titled ((THE NAME OF THIS MOVIE)), but has no recollection of how it got there. Amelia soon discovers, though, that this children's book character may be a sinister presence lurking around her home.

the-babadook_5_sm.jpg

#2: Papillon
Playing the title character in this movie, Steve McQueen sports a butterfly tattoo in the center of his chest. The film is set primarily on the Devil's Island penal colony in French Guiana, where McQueen's character and Dustin Hoffman's "Louis" form a life-long friendship.

papillon_5_sm.jpg

#3: Night at the Museum
Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) is divorced, unable to keep a stable job, and has failed at many business ventures. His ex-wife believes that he is a bad example to their ten-year-old son, and Larry fears that the boy respects his future stepfather more than him. Larry gets a job as a night watchman, and soon discovers that a magical Egyptian artifact is causing the inanimate antiquities he's guarding to come to life at night.

night-at-the-museum_4_sm.jpg

#4: Airplane II: The Sequel
Two years have passed since Ted Striker heroically saved many lives by preventing an airline crash. Working as a test pilot for a new Lunar Shuttle, he gets innocently sent into a mental ward after a crash of the badly constructed, computer-navigated spaceship. When he hears that exactly the same type of shuttle is scheduled for a moon flight soon, he breaks out to hinder the launch. Hilarity ensues, though it's not nearly as pervasive as it was in the original film, (this movie is a sequel). Also, in case you couldn't tell, that's William Shatner in the screenshot.

airplane-2_3_sm.jpg

#5: Super Troopers
Five Vermont highway patrol cops, avid pranksters with a knack for screwing up, try to save their jobs and out-do the local police department by solving a crime.

super-troopers_2_sm.jpg

#6: Arachnophobia
A large spider from the jungles of South America is accidentally transported in a crate with a dead body to America where it mates with a local spider. Soon after, the deadly spider offspring cause a rash of deaths and start to threaten the entire town. It's up to a couple of doctors with the help of an insect exterminator to annihilate these eight legged freaks.

arachnophobia_3_sm.jpg

#7: Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
An NYPD cop is 'killed' in an accident. The death is faked, and he is inducted into the organization CURE, dedicated to preserving the constitution by working outside of it. This cop, the movie's titular character, is to become the enforcement wing (assassin) of CURE, and learns the ancient Korean martial art of Sinanju, which is the art of killing someone and making it seem like an accident or natural causes. Based on the popular pulp series "The Destroyer," by Richard Sapir and Warren Murphy.

remo-williams_the-adventure-begins_2_sm.jpg

#8: His Girl Friday
Walter Burns, editor of a major Chicago newspaper, is about to lose his ace reporter and former wife, Hildy Johnson, to insurance salesman Bruce Baldwin, but not without a fight! The crafty editor uses every trick in his fedora to get Hildy to write one last big story, about murderer Earl Williams and the inept Sheriff Hartwell. The comedy snowballs as a number of peripheral characters all get tied up in Walter's web.

his-girl-friday_3_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

vaporgalinfla

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2010
Florida
Caff - Sorry I missed this! I thought I was back the last time I posted, but had no idea that my mother in law would be faced with major medical issues. Now that this is partially resolved, I think that for sure I'm back again. I look forward to your next movie quiz!

I watched 2 and 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread