Fallout starting close to home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Good for this B&M owner.
This is a public safety issue. It is the industry (manufacturers and vendors) that needs to step up and take responsibility for what they're selling to the public so that people without sufficient knowledge of electronics and Ω's law (99% of the population) are no longer unknowingly putting themselves in grave danger by vaping mech's.

At the increasing rate of mech related injuries then mech's will ruin it for us all, if they haven't already. And with the mech apologists enabling and even encouraging utterly unqualified others to use mech's (I see it around here all the time) then more and more people are unknowingly putting themselves in grave danger...
And telling them "practice battery safety, and learn ohm's law dude." is certainly not sufficient. It's an accident waiting to happen.

The greatest threat to vaping today are mech related injuries. Those videos of people lying disfigured and paralyzed in hospital beds is all the fear-mongering ammunition the anti's require in order to ruin vaping for everyone.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Oh geez...

Paralyzed now?

Where does it end?

Does anybody realize it won't be long before even finding a mech to purchase is going to involve purposely searching and going out of your way?

What will everyone point the finger at this time next year?

We get it. It's not your way, so it's wrong, deadly and going to ruin everything.

News flash... your vapor still looks like smoking and threatens tobacco sales and government tax racket.

Tapatyped

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Read what you wrote.

Understand the severity, legitimacy and reality of the coffee suit.

Find ALL instances (none exist) where 1, someone had "blown their face off" or even 2, someone has done anything remotely near the severity of the coffee incident to ANYONE with an ecigarette battery of any kind.

Reminds me how people were going to die because the mvp 2.0 used lipo.

Ignorance is no excuse. We're all SUPPOSED to be adults here.

Tapatyped
I guess I take none of this as seriously as you do. You should jump on those claiming these incidents never happened. You need to read my posts as sarcasm, humor and fun poking. You are way too literal and serious. My point was simply that anyone can sue anyone at any time for anything which is why the OP posted his local BM has removed mechs from the cupboards.

Reactions: papergoblin

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Reactions: inspects

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I guess I take none of this as seriously as you do. You should jump on those claiming these incidents never happened. You need to read my posts as sarcasm, humor and fun poking. You are way too literal and serious. My point was simply that anyone can sue anyone at any time for anything which is why the OP posted his local BM has removed mechs from the cupboards.
Problem is people actually believe that garbage.

Humor is one thing.

Tapatyped

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Warnings won't stop the people that get hurt one bit. Websites have warnings, some shops have warnings, most batteries come in a box with warnings. Warnings only work if people read them, look into why, and use caution. I'm pretty sure most people that get hurt are not doing any research or learning, so a warning is useless to some types of people.

True, but they also make it utterly pointless for anyone who fail to heed the warnings to run to the media and sue the ... off some company.

Tamper proof picked up when Tylenol started doing it after their product was tampered with on the shelves, decades ago.

Mentioning Tylenol sparked a train of thought. Tylenol has warning labels, comes in tamper proof bottles and is FDA approved as an OTC drug... yet it's the number one cause of acute liver failure in the US. Imagine if each and every one of the 75 thousand+ annual ER visits caused by Tylenol made headlines. 200+ articles in every news outlet. Every day. And now a handful of abused batteries cause even vapers to go completely haywire?

Why isn't tamper proof bottles with warning labels good enough for our diluted nic? Why isn't warning labels good enough for our batteries? People can eat Tylenol bought at the local Walmart till their livers go pop, but can't be trusted to re-fill their clearos? Why does Tylenol get to have a Cherry flavor for children? :lol:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Mentioning Tylenol sparked a train of thought. Tylenol has warning labels, comes in tamper proof bottles and is FDA approved as an OTC drug... yet it's the number one cause of acute liver failure in the US. Imagine if each and every one of the 75 thousand+ annual ER visits caused by Tylenol made headlines. 200+ articles in every news outlet. Every day. And now a handful of abused batteries cause even vapers to go completely haywire?

Why isn't tamper proof bottles with warning labels good enough for our diluted nic? Why isn't warning labels good enough for our batteries? People can eat Tylenol bought at the local Walmart till their livers go pop, but can't be trusted to re-fill their clearos? Why does Tylenol get to have a Cherry flavor for children? :lol:
Because Tylenol is made & marketed by a giant company that's "in favor" with the goobernmint.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
True, but they also make it utterly pointless for anyone who fail to heed the warnings to run to the media and sue the ... off some company.

See, thank you, you proved the point. It doesn't matter about a warning or tamperproof seal, or flavoring. It's all about self responsibility. People will sue with or without a warning, even if a mod lacks a warning, the batteries do have warnings. The batteries are what goes boom not the mod, so warnings are already in place yet people don't pay attention. We can all agree no one wants to see people get hurt and we all want to live a healthier and maybe longer life. The only way is for people to take their own safety in their own hands, it's just like people getting on forums or medical websites looking for help. The smart thing is to seek professional help, yet some just won't do it.

I believe that 99% of the people on here are fairly smart and have good intentions for others. This is probably equal to the vapers out there not online or this site, however it is the 1% that are having troubles and no matter what safety or regulation is in place, they will still have troubles. Not every person can be saved from themselves and there comes a point where you can't argue for them. The US is a country built on majority rule not minority rule. If the majority of the country can use a product effectively, then the product is not to blame, it is the failure of the minority group to understand the usage of the product. The majority of people taking Tylenol do it safely while the few abuse it and pay the price for it. It is a harsh reality and I do feel for people injured but my life should not be hindered due to someone's lack of common sense.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Because Tylenol is made & marketed by a giant company that's "in favor" with the goobernmint.

And I would imagine that the manufacturer makes the appropriate political contributions (known in some circles as "protection money").

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
While it may be true that at one time the country the country had majority rule, it is certainly no longer true. (See the the Fourteenth Amendment and its application to the states as well as the demise of the Tenth Amendment.)
The country now serves the lowest common denominator; it is geared for the stupid and incompetent. And to prove the point, I am going to tune in "The Kardashians" while I read, with intense interest, through my "People" magazine.

See, thank you, you proved the point. It doesn't matter about a warning or tamperproof seal, or flavoring. It's all about self responsibility. People will sue with or without a warning, even if a mod lacks a warning, the batteries do have warnings. The batteries are what goes boom not the mod, so warnings are already in place yet people don't pay attention. We can all agree no one wants to see people get hurt and we all want to live a healthier and maybe longer life. The only way is for people to take their own safety in their own hands, it's just like people getting on forums or medical websites looking for help. The smart thing is to seek professional help, yet some just won't do it.

I believe that 99% of the people on here are fairly smart and have good intentions for others. This is probably equal to the vapers out there not online or this site, however it is the 1% that are having troubles and no matter what safety or regulation is in place, they will still have troubles. Not every person can be saved from themselves and there comes a point where you can't argue for them. The US is a country built on majority rule not minority rule. If the majority of the country can use a product effectively, then the product is not to blame, it is the failure of the minority group to understand the usage of the product. The majority of people taking Tylenol do it safely while the few abuse it and pay the price for it. It is a harsh reality and I do feel for people injured but my life should not be hindered due to someone's lack of common sense.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
The only warning on a mech (or perhaps other batteries) that makes sense is "for experienced users only." Me as a non-experienced user would want to be trained on properly using one. Whereas warnings of danger would be like every other product that has electricity / energy going through it, and thus very likely to be ignored. If I ignored the 'experienced only' warning, I'm sure I could sue, but I'd expect defending attorney to cross examine me to determine how experienced I was.

But I'd never want a label to be mandatory. Just like proper instructions for how to use, maintain, etc. are things I'd want from manufacturer, but not some blanket mandate across the industry. I would think a reasonable consumer would look for those things in a company. And that a less responsible user would very likely ignore whatever warning / instruction info came with product and just go for it, hope for the best.

It would have to rise to the level of actual design flaw that experienced users identify as such for me to have actual concern for less experienced users who may be getting harmed by the products (via user error). Might not be 100% compassionate, but strikes me as 100% reasonable.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Good for this B&M owner.
This is a public safety issue. It is the industry (manufacturers and vendors) that needs to step up and take responsibility for what they're selling to the public so that people without sufficient knowledge of electronics and Ω's law (99% of the population) are no longer unknowingly putting themselves in grave danger by vaping mech's.

At the increasing rate of mech related injuries then mech's will ruin it for us all, if they haven't already. And with the mech apologists enabling and even encouraging utterly unqualified others to use mech's (I see it around here all the time) then more and more people are unknowingly putting themselves in grave danger...
And telling them "practice battery safety, and learn ohm's law dude." is certainly not sufficient. It's an accident waiting to happen.

The greatest threat to vaping today are mech related injuries. Those videos of people lying disfigured and paralyzed in hospital beds is all the fear-mongering ammunition the anti's require in order to ruin vaping for everyone.

I can't even believe you put that sentence together. FDA and ANTZ are less threatening, for you, than mech related injuries??? They will literally use ANYTHING to try and ruin vaping. And they be the unreasonable / overreaching people in the room who ought to be ignored when the reasonable adults are having a discussion about what could be done.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I can't even believe you put that sentence together. FDA and ANTZ are less threatening, for you, than mech related injuries??? They will literally use ANYTHING to try and ruin vaping. And they be the unreasonable / overreaching people in the room who ought to be ignored when the reasonable adults are having a discussion about what could be done.
Possibly your best post to date.

Tapatyped

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Warnings won't stop the people that get hurt one bit. Websites have warnings, some shops have warnings, most batteries come in a box with warnings. Warnings only work if people read them, look into why, and use caution. I'm pretty sure most people that get hurt are not doing any research or learning, so a warning is useless to some types of people.
I have visited over 15 shops in my area, and I've yet to see any warnings.
But I will admit that I now see warnings on almost all of the online shops I have visited.

But I just have to disagree with you (and others) about warnings not helping.
Warnings will help mitigate lawsuits to some degree.

But more importantly, warnings will help inform people who have no clue there is any danger.
And there are a LOT more of those people than many here seem to think there are.

But the warning has to be short, to the point, and impossible to miss.

Reactions: mattiem

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Read and comprehend before you spout.
Mech related injuries draw the attention of the FDA and antz to the 'grave dangers of e-cigarettes'.
Yes, sir, they will indeed use anything to ruin vaping, and the more people disfigured or worse from mech's blowing up in their faces then the more ammo for the FDA and antz and the worse off we all are.

Again, read the entire statement so that you might comprehend:
"The greatest threat to vaping today are mech related injuries. Those videos of people lying disfigured and paralyzed in hospital beds is all the fear-mongering ammunition the anti's require in order to ruin vaping for everyone."

You "can't believe" that I could ever say such a statement.
That statement is TRUTH!

Reactions: DC2

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I have visited over 15 shops in my area, and I've yet to see any warnings.
But I will admit that I now see warnings on almost all of the online shops I have visited.

But I just have to disagree with you (and others) about warnings not helping.
Warnings will help mitigate lawsuits to some degree.

But more importantly, warnings will help inform people who have no clue there is any danger.
And there are a LOT more of those people than many here seem to think there are.

But the warning has to be short, to the point, and impossible to miss.
Like the short and to the point warning on your coffee cup that you didn't realize was there until you looked for it specifically?

Again, I'm not against the idea of warning labels, and yes, some people will actually see them and possibly take some action to educate themselves as to why the warning is there. I just don't believe it would have a significant impact, other than mitigating lawsuits. Most batteries, outside our application, already come with warnings. Ours usually don't because they were never intended for individual sale.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Like the short and to the point warning on your coffee cup that you didn't realize was there until you looked for it specifically?
Yes, it is short, and to the point to some extent.
But it clearly failed on the "impossible to miss" aspect that I noted previously.

But then again, it's just a cup of coffee.
Not a highly dangerous product.
Most batteries, outside our application, already come with warnings. Ours usually don't because they were never intended for individual sale.
I've never purchased a loose battery for vaping that had any warning.

But I haven't purchased a loose battery in years, so there may be warnings now.
I wouldn't know.

Vape shops are the ones that need to inform and educate.
Both online and brick and mortar.

If for no reason other than getting sued and having their lives completely ruined.
But they are also the initial point of contact for those buying the equipment that needs said batteries.

And the warnings need to be IN YOUR FACE, not buried somewhere in a long line of small font.

Reactions: mattiem
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread