Eleaf Melo2 or UwellCrown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I'm interested in what response you get because I am looking at the Crown as an alternative tank to the Melo 2 that I have. I like the wider selection of coils the Crown has to offer over the Melo 2, including the 1.2 SVC for when I want a vape that isn't going to be draining my tank (and wallet) but still delivering good flavor. Currently I'm running the 0.5 Ti coil in TC mode in the Melo 2, though I have used the 0.3 Kanthal in it as well. Both coils are decent performers with my TC60W.

Things I like about the Melo 2:
  • Top-fill slot on the side of the tank really works, very easy to use, nothing to unscrew;
  • No leaks, not even a little so far;
  • Infinite airflow adjustment with nicely sized air slots lets you get the draw you like;
  • Coil changing is easy even when the tank is completely full;
  • Works well with the VW and TC coils, nice clouds and good flavor.
Things I Don't like about the Melo 2:
  • Drip tip is too short for my taste - 5-7mm longer and it would be perfect, but my lips are always touching the tank top;
  • Getting the glass off to clean the unit or change the O-rings is bloody difficult, and no spare glass is included in the kit;
  • Infinite airflow adjustment has no indexing clicks or grip points in the airflow ring making it somewhat hard to turn the ring and get the same setting consistently.
The reviews I've read on the Crown have all been complimentary of its performance, quality and flavor. But it also seems that most of the coils for the Crown are going to require a mod that runs in the 100W range to get the most from it with the dual coils. Something to consider based on what you're going to be driving either tank with. The other would be that it seems, at least, that there is an RBA deck for the Crown if you do your own coils; I have not heard of an RBA deck for the Melo 2.

I was wondering about the power needed as well. I'm running a istick50
And with the melo stock coil it recommended to run at 20-30 and that's fine I get about a day at 30w.
I was going to pick up a istick TC 40 so I could run the titanium and nickle coils in what ever tank I get but the .3 coils you get with them can go up to 150w from what I've read so 40w probably wouldn't preform so great.
I also like the fact that there is an RBA for the Crown because I would like to try my hand at doing builds before I jump into a drip and waste my time and money.

Think I'm going to have to cave and buy a box that runs 18650s.
Was hoping to avoid that.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Just looking at the 0.3 coil from the Melo 2 and it's rated at 30-80w, and I'm not sure that I would want to push it anywhere near the top of that range. I was hitting it in the 40-50w range and that was starting to produce burnt hits as I kicked the power up. Dropping into the 30w range gave the best vape.

Although it's dated, vaping360 did a review of the Crown with the different coils and the average best performance was in the 80w range. They didn't test them but Uwell has released 0.15 Ni coils for it, but that's below the range that your iStick can fire. Uwell doesn't specifically state the 0.15 Ni coils are for use in TC devices but I'm sure they'd work that way without problem. Without upgrading our mods, the Crown will probably be hamstrung and underperform. OTOH, with the Melo 2 you'd have to run the 0.3 Kanthal or the 0.5 Ti coils on your iStick, and the Ti coil is aimed at using TC instead of VW - though it does work in VW mode as I have tried it that way.

This has talked me out of getting the Crown until I get a higher-power mod, and that's going be into next year given my expenditures lately. I understand your reticence from jumping up to a bigger, higher-power mod with what you have invested in your current kit. I've found places where you can pick up a TC100W for just a few dollars more than the TC40W but then you have to factor in the cost of sets of 18650's to power it, plus the cost of the atty you choose.

Rock | You | Hard Place … Decisions, decisions..:-x

Reactions: KonigVape85

izen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Northeast
I have to disagree about the power needed to to get good performance from the Crown coil's... In all fairness though, I can't speak about Nickel coils because I don't run TC even though I have a mod for it. The SS coils are 0.25, 0.50 and 1.20. The iStick 50 will work ok with 0.25 - that's a strong OK. Maybe not GREAT but pretty damn good. With the 0.50 coils you'll have no issues, and certainly not with the 1.2's

I like a cool/warm and also warm, even sometimes v.warm vape, but not hot and 80 Watts is a hot vape (OK, you might like it for the 0.25, or maybe not). You certainly don't need it for the higher resistance coils. Vaping360 is off-the-wall (yeah, I read it too), and I don't trust or believe everything I read. Maybe you shouldn't either. I'm just shootin' from my own experience fwiw.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I have to disagree about the power needed to to get good performance from the Crown coil's… <snip> I'm just shootin' from my own experience fwiw.
Thanks for chiming in izen, differing opinions are certainly welcome!

As a possible alternate sub tank, the Crown is very appealing to me - reasons stated previously. The only thing that has me leery is that while all the reviews I've read for it are extremely complimentary, they were also all done with mods running in the 100-150w category. It's a mixed bag as to where they were stating getting their best performance from it, except for the 0.25 coil which seemed to have an agreed best-performing range above 60w. I could live with the 0.5 as, like you, I prefer a cool/warm vape and several of the reviews corroborate your opinion that 40w on the 0.5's worked well.

I'm reconsidering my being talked out of getting the Crown. I'll leave it on my Wish List for now - along with a 150w TC mod. ;)

izen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Northeast
Thanks for chiming in izen, differing opinions are certainly welcome!... I'm reconsidering my being talked out of getting the Crown. I'll leave it on my Wish List for now - along with a 150w TC mod. ;)

I've worked in a high precision toolroom environment where I was a product manager... not a hands-on guy like a tool or diemaker or even a machinist. Still, I know precision and high quality when I see it (at least, I think I do). The Uwell Crown is a QUALITY tank in my book. And that little RBA of theirs? Limited to single coil, roll your own & wick it yourself... and better do it right so it doesn't leak... and bottom-fill it just to be safe... may not be quite the experience of the factory-built coils (which are great), but I'm just as happy vaping the Crown with the RBA. Some say the 0.25's are the best experience. I don't know - maybe so, but @ 0.50, I'm not burning though quite as much juice @ 25 to 50 Watts, My best mod goes up to 75W but I've never felt the need to use that much power to get a great vape. I'd rather use an RTA than a SubOhm tank with prebuilt coils - and I do, but I'm happy to have a Crown and it's RBA deck (and a small stash of 0.50 ohm coils as 'backup'). The Crown build quality and machining (at this price point) is stellar. far better than most.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
There doesn't seem to be any question of the quality of the Crown at this point. Everybody gives it high marks for the quality of the components and machining. Time will tell how Uwell maintains that quality level. About the only thing I find slightly worrisome is that the Crown is Uwell's One Trick Pony at this point with no other products on the market - yet.

Doubt that I'd get the RBA deck for some time as the appeal for rolling coils just isn't there for me yet. For the stock coils, definitely the 1.2 and 0.5 would be on my list for "haves"; the 0.15Ni, maybe for using in TC.

Mike Abrams

Account closed on request
Sep 21, 2015
New England
Dont bet on Crown coils lasting anywhere near a month. I do like the machining and easy top fill plus the flavor. I think Vaping360 was very optimistic on the wattage ranges however. Push either the 0.25 or 0.50 over 70w with a sweet juice like Miss Samoa and the coil can burn very quickly. I wish Uwell would design another coil, even something like a dual kanthal in the 0.2 to 0.4 range, that can be pushed a little more, maybe a little slower to heat up. I am thinking of how the new vertical 0.5 saved the Kanger mini from mediocrity and made it a nice little tank for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread