Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
What's a pogonip? We had that artic vortex or whatever it was called the last 2 years, this time its supposed to be cold but not several days of - frostbite within 10 mins, just don't leave your homes people cold - which will be nice.

It's an ice fog, something between hoar frost and soft rime. It makes weird ice crystals on everything. The fog is what's freezing, outside of it, it may not feel very cold. Roads look dry, not like black ice, they look normal at midday, but in the fog are actually covered with a sheet of ice. I spun out on what appeared to be an almost sunny morning, The thing I found particularly unnerving was the silence. It was eery, hard to describe; no wind, no distance sounds, like being in a bubble. Settlers called it White Death, since legend has it that inhaling the fog will freeze your lungs.

0.jpg

88-800.jpg

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Some of my fondest memories are of me and my brothers, dad, and uncles fishing the local rivers at night for eels and horned pout, with kerosene lanterns, sodas for us boys and beers for the adults. Those were some very fun times. Summertime at its finest.

I miss catching and frying up Blue Gills.

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
It's an ice fog, something between hoar frost and soft rime. It makes weird ice crystals on everything. The fog is what's freezing, outside of it, it may not feel very cold. Roads look dry, not like black ice, they look normal at midday, but in the fog are actually covered with a sheet of ice. I spun out on what appeared to be an almost sunny morning, The thing I found particularly unnerving was the silence. It was eery, hard to describe; no wind, no distance sounds, like being in a bubble. Settlers called it White Death, since legend has it that inhaling the fog will freeze your lungs.

0.jpg

88-800.jpg

Beautiful photos, kinda terrifying sounding. Though i guess with nature those go hand in hand a lot. The silence you describe, that is scarey. Whenever i go out in the country, it's silence that is always more unnerving than any typically scarey city noise.

I went to the shetland islands a few years back, you take an overnight ferry takes about 8 hours from what i remember. Anyways, 2am the north sea, pitch black, i wandered out to smoke. It took a few minsfor the seas black to be a little more distinct from the sky. I felt like i wasn't on earth anymore goofy as it may sound now, so eeriley other worldly.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Beautiful photos, kinda terrifying sounding. Though i guess with nature those go hand in hand a lot. The silence you describe, that is scarey. Whenever i go out in the country, it's silence that is always more unnerving than any typically scarey city noise.

I went to the shetland islands a few years back, you take an overnight ferry takes about 8 hours from what i remember. Anyways, 2am the north sea, pitch black, i wandered out to smoke. It took a few minsfor the seas black to be a little more distinct from the sky. I felt like i wasn't on earth anymore goofy as it may sound now, so eeriley other worldly.

Yes, that kind of unworldly feeling. And terrifying - yeah, disturbing. The pointy ice crystals aren't always solid. A couple of my co-workers and I were standing outside (for a smoke, of course) looking closely at some of the crystals on branches. They were like little ferns and moved back and forth. I was seriously freaked.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

0.jpg

88-800.jpg

That's freaky.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Yes, that kind of unworldly feeling. And terrifying - yeah, disturbing. The pointy ice crystals aren't always solid. A couple of my co-workers and I were standing outside (for a smoke, of course) looking closely at some of the crystals on branches. They were like little ferns and moved back and forth. I was seriously freaked.

Sounds like a normal day in the village in 1972. We just didn't call them ferns.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Provari Family! It was just a wonderful day. Wonderful for sure! Spending Thanksgiving with my brother, who could have died just weeks ago was all I could have asked for and then some. I cooked the meal and I must say it turned out perfect. Yes it did. If you're not already in a turkey coma, here are a few pics:

2b4bbfd1252e751a89509a31dca29892.jpg

a4d183a8537b45f755412f78f5fba859.jpg

52debd84c1fc5ac50463cc2bc495874c.jpg
That looks like my corn casserole on the middle picture.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Does anyone know if there's a code for MFS? I thought they had 40% off on coils for BF. I was hoping to add to my Kabuki coil stash.

They haven't released the coil code yet. They're p'ing me off the way they're doing things this year (drips and drabs). Plus, the 40% always limit us to two boxes of each coil type, so I've no reason to expect this one will be different. It almost isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread