Does vaping cause phlegm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard some say yes, others say it's VG. I can't really say because i was on/off vaping cause i ran out of juice lol

All comments welcome
I quite smoking. No cheating no anything. Smoked my last pack of analogues September of 2014 and never looked back. For the first few months I coughed up smoke laced phlegm...The dark colors. Vaped heavy the whole time. After a few months, and not to be disgusting, the phlegm turned clear. But it went away. Until recently No coughing, little phlegm if any and when I had it it was clear. Now Ive noticed coughing in the mornings the last couple weeks. I spoze it could be a cold or alergies still no cheating Not even a puff. (Smoking is behind me I never even think about it, and never have an urge to light something that will just smell like crap and make me stink anyway.-- Plus I know I could trick myself into thinking that a puff or two could be fine, but I know in 5 years I'd be smoking a pack and a half a day. Im smarter than that. But anyway. I am wondering about this phlegm or if anyone has shortness of breath. Thanks y'all

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Cig stuff never goes away if you take even a puff a day off an analogue. - Just saying. The plegm from cigarettes begins away when the lungs start repairing repairing themselves, even 1 puff paralyzes the cilia.. IF you completely stop phlegm buildup can be from ridding yourself of the cigz.

That's not completely accurate. I had been smoking 2-3 PAD when I started vaping. At the time I had a smoker's cough and night wheezes. Once I started on the e cig, I still was smoking 6 cigarettes a day, but within a week the cough and wheezing went away. It's a matter of dose. Yes, it would be better to completely stop smoking, but yoy do what works for you.

For me, it was those 6 cigarettes for 6-7 months, but then I was able to quit smoking entirely. The ugly part was when my gums started bleeding. That took months to clear up. I spoke to the dentist about it, but he assured me it was normal after you quit smoking, particularly after 43 years.

In reality, its a very tricky.. Your wheezing and coughing may have went away, but its not until you actually quit that your body really can from a physiological standpoint actually begin the actual repair process in the lungs and really get that stuff out. Smoke acts like basically like BOTOX, and just paralyzes the tissue. The cough and wheezing was very likely bronchial and alveolar irritation. Very glad you quit! Congrats to you.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
I've heard some say yes, others say it's VG. I can't really say because i was on/off vaping cause i ran out of juice lol

All comments welcome

Hi, im vaping for 2 years, mostly Joy and Halo, high PG brands. When i go down to 30-40% VG i feel my lungs heavier, and some more buildup secretion on throat, another reason i dont like sub ohm, i just stick with 16-18mg on 6-7W.

I find that with PG i just go fine, but 100% PG is too thin, and the vapor volume is really small, so usually i stick on 10-30% VG, it seen the best balance ratio to me with almost zero mucus, and i vape around 4-5 ml per day.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
I was completed stopped up with phlegm when I was smoking. Since vaping I quit coughing and have never coughed up anything. I do have more sinus drainage and sometimes tickles my throat.

Man when i used to smoke (2,5 pack day) my breath was a mix of darth vader with an accordion. My breath had a caracteristic sneeze sound, it was very bad, it dont even required stetoscope to hear it. 2 years, my lungs are perfectly fine, no cough, no bad sound, no mucus. Even when people around me get some virus and start coughing i rarely get sick, i guess much because of biocide effect of pg.

Reactions: Katmar

Gazoo2You

Nov 28, 2015
(sorry for length of post)

Silent reflux

Never heard of this? Is it the same as GERD?

50s, been vaping about a year and a half but quit smoking a year ago and only vaped since.
50/50 juice

Have lots of gear, rebuild my own and occasionally use 1-2 tanks with pre-made coils as well.
Vape on Kanathal, Ni200, Stainless Steel. Everything from low wattage 18w to 40watts, pre-ohm, sub-ohm, you name it, I vape it.

8 months ago, I woke up one night aware that my throat felt smaller, somehow. I felt the need to remove pillows and sleep with my throat stretched out, not constricted folding into itself with pillows.
Noticed it again about 3 weeks ago.
1 morning, woke up in a dream. Someone stuffed me into a box and was sitting on top of me and i couldn't breathe. It jarred me awake and semi-frightened me.
Don't know if i stopped breathing for a few seconds, was jarred awake by needing to breathe or it was a dream. (not sleep apnea/guaranteed)

Had been noticing for some time a feeling of phlegm in my throat, but as if it was sorta stuck there. Never comes up cant be cleared, etc.
Been tested for thyroid, and am waiting for an ENT to test for esophagus issues. Potentially GERD, an acid reflux problem but i dont think thats it.
I do also still have tonsils.
My doctor suggested with these symptoms, it was wise to have a shot for pneumonia. Did so.
Had an ENT scope 5 years ago, all was perfect then.
I understand it could be anything and I won't know until the ENT testing is done, I presume.

See some potentially tying this into vaping.
Gut feeling suggests it is not caused by vaping. Although at this point i can't be sure. I am not a medical doctor.
I believe it is age related, due to being a long term smoker.
Having quit and taking up the vape, doesnt mean we will necessarily escape the damages of smoking.
Look at Spock from Star Trek.
Quit smoking at 50, over 35 years ago yet died at 85, last year, I think it was from COPD issues.

I am more inclined to suggest these issues are the start of damage caused by smoking that start to show up in one's early 50s-but again, just a guess.
But, I don't think vaping helps.
Given a choice, I believe vaping is a superior method to smoking and if one can't quit smoking cold turkey, this is the next best method.
But as i age, I am aware from the above issues, that it might be time to quit vaping as well. My ENT appointment will be the deciding factor, I believe.

IF anyone can shed any light that might have experienced these same things and has since been diagnosed by an ENT/doctor, I would be interested in hearing what that might be.

Reactions: Cool_Breeze

Gazoo2You

Nov 28, 2015
Long, Sorry.
Here's my Phlegm Story.
No doubt some here will deny this is possible.
Maybe it will give at least one other person, an idea of what to look for.

It got so bad I was unable to use pillows at night for 3 months. Felt the need to stretch out my neck as it felt swollen inside leaving it feeling constricted.

Been vaping almost 2 years. Use 50/50 but introduced one 70vg/30pg juice during this 3 month period and mistakenly thought i had a VG intolerance.

Only with the past 6-7 weeks of carefully testing, retesting and testing my equipment again, have I found the answer to Phlegm, at least for me.

Use many atomizers, sub-ohm, pre-ohm, rebuilt coils, 2 pre-made. Basically, no one particular pattern as a Vaper, other than mostly low wattage, 12w for a Nautilus Mini tank, sparingly used, or mainly, 18-30 at the highest or 40 watts for one Ni200 coil on TC.

3 months ago developed this phlegm and it kept getting worse. Never thought of vaping. Had tests for asthma, EMT, Thyroid, GERD and all cleared.

Reading a thread here one night I read of VG intolerance and at first it fit. Figured that was it.

As soon as it did, I stopped using all atomizers and 70/30 juice and only vaped on a Uwell Crown, Ni200 pre-made coil which relieved the symptoms immediately within 48 hours.

It felt as if the vape from the coil, instead of hitting one continuous spot at the back of my throat, was spread out. It allowed my throat to heal for the first time.

Over the past 6 weeks, I have narrowed it down to one atomizer. The Goliath v2.

The build in this particular atomizer, although sub ohm and potentially hot is the very same build I use in the Bellus atomizer, yet, the former was hitting one spot over and over and the Bellus, like the Uwell Crown Ni200 coil seemed to be spread out, not hitting that same spot over and over.

Both atomizers are built with dual coil, 2mm at 0.5 and both vaped at 18-30watts.

At its worst, even vaping on my rarely used Nautilus Mini with Aspire 1.18 coils, the Phlegm was not relieved, UNTIL i removed the Goliath v2 out of the equation fully.

Once I had and it cleared up, I once again vaped on it and the Phlegm reappeared, quite quickly. Removed it, it all cleared up. Tried this 4x just to be sure I wasn’t insane.

Removed the Goliath, it healed and I introduced again, 100% the Bellus with the exact same build and wattage and it's never happened again since.

I can only assume that while my throat was inflamed, even the Nautilus was aggravating it and I never got a chance to heal. Now I am healed, the Nautilus is fine, as are all my other atomizers

The Bellus, with the exact same sub ohm build has a vape that is just more spread out and even a bit cooler than I found the Goliath v2 to be.

Those with this phlegm issue might want to take a look at their own atomizers, perhaps see if there is a sub ohm build in there, doing to them what the Goliath was doing to my throat and/or eliminate one by one until you see if this is the cause for any of you as well.

Reactions: Katmar

Gazoo2You

Nov 28, 2015
Just to make sure I wasn't doing a Rip Tripper on myself, despite all earlier testing, I figured I had to be wrong, dragged out the v2 Goliath 2 days ago. That phlegm feeling was long gone. But that same night, I woke up at 2am bothered by the phlegm in the throat action again. Haven't used it since, throat is perfect again. Yet I vape dual coil, same builds on other attys without a problem. Also used that Goliath daily for 4 months. No idea why its causing this, but it is and now will be retired forever. Sad end to a wonderful atty. A happier beginning for my throat though.

Markme

Mar 11, 2016
Hi folks. I got into this vape thing after I seemed nudged towards it last christmas.

Since vaping Ive developed a minor blocked nose/throat annoyance. Everyday I cough up the jade coloured ooze. Im still occasionally smoke, but that nasty habit is reducing - thank god!

I feel like I do in the summer months when my hayfever kicks in. Will it stop one day? It seems like my lungs are getting clear of things in a very slow way.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi folks. I got into this vape thing after I seemed nudged towards it last christmas.

Since vaping Ive developed a minor blocked nose/throat annoyance. Everyday I cough up the jade coloured ooze. Im still occasionally smoke, but that nasty habit is reducing - thank god!

I feel like I do in the summer months when my hayfever kicks in. Will it stop one day? It seems like my lungs are getting clear of things in a very slow way.

lungs cleaning out.
3 months maybe

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I stopped smoking overnight and have not smoked since, only vape. I vape 50/50 to 70/30 PG.

Over the last 2+ years, for new things, I notice that since I exhale through my nose entirely, I get some moisture there from the vapor sticking to the hairs, I assume.

Also, in the last 2+ years, I have tested better with the doctor across the board. I can breath through my nose, even when sleeping, or so I am told. I don't snore as much. No notice of phlegm. I sleep easier, too.

I am grateful. I would assume that those that still partially smoke will have those affects. Some things may not be reversible either. Vaping has been all but good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread