Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for the listings, but not quite what I was looking for. I do have the Carhart pocket Henleys and they're a pretty comfortable shirt.

OH Well . . . :(

Just thought I would try to help Ya' find one . . . ;)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I'm pooped! I went out with the leaf blower, first, and blew the leaves out from under the front fence and along the west fence where there's a flower bed. The it was mower time and harvesting away. Some areas were so deep it only took two, fifty foot, passes to fill up the bags. The mulch heap is six feet high, twelve feet long and abut eight feet wide already, and I still have two thirds of the back yard to finish and about a third of the front yard. The back yard gets cleared as I make trips to the mulch pile to empty, and I did do the area around where we park the cars.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning, Voltpopsicles.

Yes, I said popsicles. It is 8 degrees outside. I'm worried that we still have the squash and potatoes outside in an alfalfa bunker. I need to bring those guys in if it is going to be this cold. Dang.

It is the .... crack of dawn and I am running out to feed the critters right away! Just as soon as I can see enough to walk without tripping on something in the dark.

Crystal brought over some family and they enjoyed the mini horse immensely. Wiseguy was a total butthead who didn't want to listen while I was driving him. The little girl was very happy to go for a cart ride.

Wiseguy has been full of beans lately:)

Crystal took Wiseguy out to the round pen when we were done with the cart and showed the little girl how to send the horse around the pen and then get the horse to turn. They got Wiseguy to come to them several times and Crystal was very proud of herself.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
evnin', Valtaticalytes.

I hope there was a good reason to ruin your Saturday, Tritium.

I spent most of the day harvesting leaves, again. The mulch pile is getting so high the emptying the bags is a project all by itself. Almost done, then it started to rain so the rest will have to wait.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Good morning, Voltpopsicles.

Yes, I said popsicles. It is 8 degrees outside. I'm worried that we still have the squash and potatoes outside in an alfalfa bunker. I need to bring those guys in if it is going to be this cold. Dang.

It is the .... crack of dawn and I am running out to feed the critters right away! Just as soon as I can see enough to walk without tripping on something in the dark.

Crystal brought over some family and they enjoyed the mini horse immensely. Wiseguy was a total butthead who didn't want to listen while I was driving him. The little girl was very happy to go for a cart ride.

Wiseguy has been full of beans lately:)

Crystal took Wiseguy out to the round pen when we were done with the cart and showed the little girl how to send the horse around the pen and then get the horse to turn. They got Wiseguy to come to them several times and Crystal was very proud of herself.

I think the cold weather might contribute to the butthead syndrome. Horses usually get higher than a kite in the cold or wind. If you give him lots of exercise, he should calm down a bit.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
It's been a while since a tutoring report, so here goes. Of course, the holidays had something to do with it, since I didn't see the kids on Thurs. as usual.

I recently read a book about a schoolteacher and the state of education, etc. She seemed to be dealing with mostly poor kids. But in the book, it mentioned some sort of test the 5th-graders took, and most of them couldn't understand questions like this:

Carol can ride her bike 10 miles per hour. If Carol rides to the store, how long will it take?

To solve this problem, you would need to know:
a. how far it is to the store
b. what kind of bike Carol has
c. what time Carol will leave
d. how much Carol has to spend

So I decided to test my kids, but not the little one, and see how they did. My guess was that the older boy who does well in math, would get it right. I was less sure of the 2 3rd-grade girls, but I thought his sister, who's bright, might get the answer right. I had no idea if the new girl would get it, since they said she was having problems understanding math word problems.

So the old girl was first, and instantly, she got the right answer. Next was her older brother, who said, after looking at the question for a minute or 2, "I give up." And when I got to the new girl, I had to explain what was going on a bit, but when she understood the question, she got the answer right away.

So now I'm really wondering about the older boy. He is intelligent, I think, but he is not interested in straining his brain. Why? What can I do to interest him? I bet he'd strain his brain a lot if I just could find the key to unlock it.

Other than that, the kids are doing well. The older boy is reading about water, his sister is still working on The Jungle Books, and their little brother is learning to print more neatly and get the sounds of letters, as well as learn his left from his right. The girl read Charlotte's Web at my suggestion and wrote a story for homework that relied heavily on that plot.

So then I went to the new girl. She got the fill-in-the blanks questions easily. I've been pressing for her to skip hard ones and do the easy ones first, but this is a hard concept to teach, since, as the others did, she wants to do them in sequence. And with a bit of thinking she gets the answers w/o jumping around. She is so quick, it's had to teach the concept, but today, I said it again, and she left 2 of the hard ones till last. I have explained to the kids that some tests they get in school are timed, and they will only have a certain amount of time to do them. If they spend all their time puzzling over question #3, they will do poorly on the test, so if they skip it and go on and answer all the easy ones they know first, they will do better. She seemed to understand that and did skip the hard ones.

Isn't it weird that, to pass tests, we have to go against some instinctual grain to do everything in order? I saw this with the other 2 older ones and still have to remind them sometimes. It makes sense to solve the problems you can and then return to the more difficult ones if you still have time, but why is human nature set up otherwise, if that's so? And I do think it's a natural tendency, since all the kids have it.

I wonder if anyone has studied this phenomenon and found some answers.

I read The Saggy-Baggy Elephant to the little boy, and his older sister listened in, when she heard it was my favorite children's story. I had told her that my daughter liked the Little Golden Books version of Hansel and Gretel, and had me read it to her so many times that she memorized it and pretended she could read by saying the words on each page. So the girl asked if I had memorized The Saggy-Baggy Elephant, and I had to admit I hadn't. I said, "I think my daughter was smarter than me.."

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good frozen morning, Voltniacs.

10 degrees out there.

Hubby left the five gallon bottles of water on the back porch and they are frozen like rocks. I wonder how long it will take to thaw them out. We will find out today.

SandySu - I am wondering if you could have walk through the list of things you need to know with the boy??? Maybe tell him math is like a mystery that you solve, like being a really smart detective?????

Yes, it is the cold weather has brought out the .... head in Wiseguy. The lady that was visiting got such a kick out of my little horse. He is so cute pulling a cart or running around the round pen bucking and dashing about. It was nice to see the kid enjoying being around critters.

Big plans for the day include making split pea soup in the crock pot with the left over ham.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning Voltarians. Sorry about your 10 degrees Lizzie. It's 78 here with two feet of sunshine. Temps as high as 85 this week. Our next cool front is sometime in Dec. Anybody want about 4 chords of firewood?

That's a two year supply for us. Although we have three cords just in case it is an extra cold winter.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
moanin', Volties.

It's gotten cooler here, 42 when I walked Bo, and it was spitting rain. It is supposed to clear out and get half way deent by this afternoon, but it's too wet to really work outside.

So, today, we're going to cook our own turkey. Mrs. Awsum made cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie yesterday and made stuffing on Friday so we're all set, minus the turkey. We had samples of the pumpkin pie with "mini" pies yesterday and it was great! Home made crust is the only way to go, so light and flakey!

I'm also going to have a try at coiling and wicking a Fogger with kanthal and silica, maybe even Ekowool, for Mr. Awsum to try. She has some other tanks with plenty of replacement heads, but doesn't change the head until they're in really dire need. I'm hoping that if it can be rebuilt with just a few minutes work she'll change it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread