So what are the stockpiling strategies in light of an uncertain future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Nic and full mechs. That's the basic strategy.
That's not a solution for me. I won't use unprotected devices and I like temp control. I believe there are electronic devices that can be put in the battery compartment of mechs that act as a fuse, battery protection. In the same way couldn't there be a similar device that has additional protections or even watt and TC control. If the deive included a bluetooth chip it could be programed with a smart phone. I would stockpile those if they existed.

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
I decided not to amass any mixing supplies and many might want to think about this too. PG and VG can last a long time but nic is iffy. Nic. can start getting off flavors in about a year, put in freezer or not. It naturally has a peppery taste, which will become more pronounced with age as well as take on a harsher tone. Flavorings after a year or two will also change, many can become way to floral, thus unusable.

PG could become harder to get but it has many uses, especially with livestock. It could be hard to find large bottles of a human consumption purity level though.

VG I don't believe will be a problem, due to the fact it is used as a skin lotion, aroma therapy, preservation of flowers, and can be used in homemade soaps. Just to name a few, basically it's like batteries, too many uses besides vaping.

Nic. yeah, this one will be a pain but, you can vape with out nic. If you stock up, it may only be good for a few years at most and then you will be vaping without it.

Flavorings will be fine as they are used in everything.

If you are really worried the best solution is to get your nic. level down as low as possible. The majority sold is 3mg (I have seen 1.5mg) then if it were to be banned one could easily vape non nic liquid to help cessation. One would still have the hand to mouth act as well as flavoring. It's not the best option but if nic. were banned for public sale, it will eventually be about the only option, especially if you like candy, fruit, or dessert flavors............ If they make all vape liquid required to be tobacco flavor.

Like the posters I see say.......KEEP CALM AND VAPE

These are my opinions and thoughts, I have no idea what may or may not happen. I have no idea what is the best vape for anyone but me. Take what I say worth a grain of salt, I just hope to inspire thought and people to do their own research, coming to their own educated and rational conclusions.

I am using nic that has been stored in my freezer since late 2009. It tests about 3 mg less than when I put it in the freezer. It looks and tastes as if I bought it yesterday. No taking on a pepper taste here or off flavors.

Where did you buy the nic that took on this stronger pepper and off taste in the freezer? How long did you keep it in the freezer before you used it? Please share this information because I want to stay clear of it when I buy.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I am using nic that has been stored in my freezer since late 2009. It tests about 3 mg less than when I put it in the freezer. It looks and tastes as if I bought it yesterday. No taking on a pepper taste here or off flavors.
Thanks for posting that. If you still have quality useable product after 5 years then long term storage certainly can work. What nic did you buy? What containers are you using? Any tips?

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

Where did you buy the nic that took on this stronger pepper and off taste in the freezer? How long did you keep it in the freezer before you used it? Please share this information because I want to stay clear of it when I buy.

It was from ecig express I think, it's been a long time since I bought it (2010 to 2011). One problem I had as well was power going off from storms and that may have affected it. I figure since I don't have a generator to keep a freezer going and after being without power for 2 weeks at one time before, I'm not going to buy any nic. There are just too many variables that can affect long term storage for me too want to risk it. I can always make a NET type from cigars if push comes to shove. Then again I could have just gotten a bad batch who knows, the stuff I have left from wizard isn't turning and I have never put it in the freezer, so who knows what it was.

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
Thanks for posting that. If you still have quality useable product after 5 years then long term storage certainly can work. What nic did you buy? What containers are you using? Any tips?

I did not put all of my eggs in one basket. I am from the Judge Leon times and I stocked up. I did not buy from one vendor, I bought some from every vendor hehehe

I am not at home right now and I do not remember what vendor nic I am vaping now BUT, I have nic in my freezer from Xtreme vaping (i think this is the nic I am using now) Void Mist, Ecig Express, RTS (something about that nic I do not like for some reason so it has been moved to the back of my stash and labeled emergency nic only) Good Prophets. My freedom smokes,Wizard labs off the top of my head.I am sure there are more.

I have added nude nic, Vapor tek and one other i forget the name. Nic vape???

My nic is 100% VG. I have a Pg intolerance. I vape mostly menthol so I dissolve menthol crystals in VG and ever clear and this is my flavoring.

How I stored: I use amber wide mouth glass packers for my nic and Cobalt blue glass for my VG. When I buy nic, I buy VG and they go into the freezer as a set. None of my nic have the poly cone caps. They are just regular plastic caps

I pour the nic into the packer bottles with minimal head space, wrap electrical tape around the top several wraps tight, label the bottle with the vendor, mg and date (lot number if it has one) I then put it into a food saver bag, suck the air out of it and seal it as close to the top of the bottle as I can, cut off the extra part of the bag at the top, THEN i repeat this process three times. Each bottle is stored inside 4 food saver bags with each bag sealed before i put it into another bag.

It works for me. Overboard? maybe? but my nic is coming out of the freezer as if I just bought it and got it in the mail. Minus a 3 - 5 mg less than I put it in the freezer

Last edited:

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
I k
It was from ecig express I think, it's been a long time since I bought it (2010 to 2011). One problem I had as well was power going off from storms and that may have affected it. I figure since I don't have a generator to keep a freezer going and after being without power for 2 weeks at one time before, I'm not going to buy any nic. There are just too many variables that can affect long term storage for me too want to risk it. I can always make a NET type from cigars if push comes to shove. Then again I could have just gotten a bad batch who knows, the stuff I have left from wizard isn't turning and I have never put it in the freezer, so who knows what it was.
I know I have used Ecig express nic from my freezer that is at least 3 years old. Clear as the day I put it in.

I use 100% VG nic. What ratio was yours?

Maybe it has to do with the it being 100% VG?

Maybe you got a bad batch.

Did you try the nic before you stored it?

Before I put it into the freezer, I test every bottle I get for mg, smell, color and how it vapes (straight unflavored nic cut with the VG that will go into the freezer with it as a set)

ETA: I have forgot to put a bottle back into the freezer after thawing. I store my nic into 500 ml bottles. When I need a new bottle, I take it out of the freezer, let it thaw, open it and pour it into smaller easier to use bottles. I keep one bottle in the frig to use out of and I put the smaller bottle back into the freezer for future use.

I can not tell you how many time I have forgotten to re-freeze the nic because I have to make room for the extra bottles and i get busy. Sometimes that nic will sit in my closest a month or more. When I make time to re-freeze, I just put it back in there. I have had no issues with thawing/refreezing a bottle of nic multiple times.

I think you must have gotten a bad batch. This is why I test before I freeze. If it is bad going in, it will be bad coming out of the freezer.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My nic is 100% VG. I have a Pg intolerance. I vape mostly menthol so I dissolve menthol crystals in VG and ever clear and this is my flavoring.

How I stored: I use amber wide mouth glass packers for my nic and Cobalt blue glass for my VG. When I buy nic, I buy VG and they go into the freezer as a set. None of my nic have the poly cone caps. They are just regular plastic caps

I pour the nic into the packer bottles with minimal head space, wrap electrical tape around the top several wraps tight, label the bottle with the vendor, mg and date (lot number if it has one) I then put it into a food saver bag, suck the air out of it and seal it as close to the top of the bottle as I can, cut off the extra part of the bag at the top, THEN i repeat this process three times. Each bottle is stored inside 4 food saver bags with each bag sealed before i put it into another bag.

It works for me. Overboard? maybe? but my nic is coming out of the freezer as if I just bought it and got it in the mail. Minus a 3 - 5 mg less than I put it in the freezer
Multiple bags makes sense. When I store chemical handwarmers, that react with oxygen to make heat, they keep better if I'm using several plastic bags instead of just one.

I'm storing in in 1 liter amber bottles. The active bottle will be divided into 250 ml bottles. I put up 3 liters in anticipation of what the FDA might release in the next few months. If what they propose is draconian and prospects are bleak, but they leave time for more stockpiling I'll probably add a bottle or two more for contingencies like mixing for a brother.

I don't have all the hardware I'd like but I'm gambling on having time for that. I've found a $10 rda I could live with indefinitely. The mod stratagy is the tough part. The buttons and 510 threading are wear points and battery chemicals will eat at wires boards and screens over so many years. I'm handy enough to make mods but that still requires parts and a competent design.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I seriously doubt that hardware will be unavailable or even difficult to obtain in the future.
You could be right but I am afraid to take that chance :( I think the main choke point will be the nicotine so I am prepared for that. Well I think I am, I am seriously considering adding just a little bit more :D
This is how I store mine mattiem's blog | E-Cigarette Forum and I feel comfortable that it will be good for a very long time.

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
Nic is most stable in PG at 50mg/mL or less concentration.

Do you have a link for this research? All of my nic is VG. Some of it is from 2009 and at different mg"s. I would be interested in reading the research done on this. I have a PG tolerance so PG is a no go for me.

My nic from 2009 tests 3 - 5 mg less than when it was placed in the freezer. Has not taken on any discoloration nor smells or tastes. If it does not hold up for the long run, I may need to rethink my options here.

It is now 6 years old so no problems yet but if you have research showing pg is better at 50 mg or less I need to read up on this so I can make other plans.

Thank you

Reactions: Woofer

Rasti B

Nov 19, 2015
I have 4 gallons of 100 mg nic broken down into bottles in a Dedicated freezer. I just ordered another yesterday and bottles. I also have 20 gallons of PG and VG and ordered more. I have enough mods to last 3 lifetimes already. I have several rolls of different (500ft) gauge kanthal wire. I don't see cotton being a problem because I can always boil regular cotton balls. I also don't see flavorings being a problem because they are actually made for food to begin with. For example TFA/TPA doesn't mention vaping on their site at all. However, just in case I started 18 months ago making a few flavorings of my own. I've made vanilla from vanilla beans. Pretty good, just takes a long steep time.

Why am I storing so much? I make juice for family and friends plus my husband and I both make our own.

I already have over 120 4oz bottles of flavorings but their shelf life won't last over 2 years. But I'm fairly sure these won't and can't be regulated or candy makers everywhere will throw a fit.

Those who don't think getting juice will be an issue you may want to think again. 99% of the vape shops today don't have $333,000 dollars to get 1 juice approved. That's per flavor and per nic strength. And that's just the application fee. Chances are it would get rejected if it's anything but menthol or pure tobacco flavor. The only ones who could even pay the application fees are Big Tobacco companies that sale Blue or other cigalikes. You'll be able to buy those, but it won't be cheap. They'll also need licenses to even sale eliquid because they will be tobacco products after these regulations pass. You'll be hard pressed to find any vape shops left open. The majority of owners make their profit from their own juice lines. That will be a thing of the past.

PG and VG is easily available now. But... In other countries who have outlawed flavors or put high taxes on ecigs they put lavender and other unpleasant things in pg and VG to make it taste horrible. Also, you'll need a license to buy liquid nicotine when this stuff passes. It will also be taxed per mg by volume, making it ridiculously expensive for the average consumer.

It's coming. You best get some nicotine, pg and VG, and freeze it while it's still at a fair price and actually available. It's better to be stocked and ready than to be hoping for the best and have nothing. I did my part sending in comments and making calls but I'm also being realistic. The FDA will get their regulations and it's not going to be good no matter how you look at it. The flavors were their main concern. You won't be able to buy juice with flavors. Even if some juice maker scrapes up enough money or borrows from the bank, it will be denied quickly. The FDA has made it clear they will squash flavors because it attracts children.
Do you really see PG & VG getting difficult to purchase? That sounds like quite a stretch as they both have numerous applications beyond vaping. Flavors are also used for other purposes and don't seem likely to be immediately at risk of being prohibited. The only thing and a necessary one (for most of us at least) that can be effectively surtaxed, tariffed, made prohibitive, or prohibited is nicotine. Regardless, at today's prices it is at least a hedge against inflation.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Who in there right mind would buy bulk 50 mg/ml for the long haul ?

My thoughts exactly sparkky1. I need to see the research done here. If this is indeed true, I need to rethink my strategy.

Before I knew better I bought 48mg and do have some in my stash. I will use it up first since it was the first I bought. I have found that if I break my 100mg/ml down to 50mg/ml after I take it from the freezer it seems to stay crystal clear longer. I think the 100mg/ml will hold up just as well as 50mg/ml and it takes up half the space. I will stick to 100mg/ml for my long time storage.

I have heard it both ways. ie: it is better to store it in VG and it is better to store it in PG. Seems to just depend on who you listen to. I am not a chemist but I personally don't think it matters. JMHO

Reactions: Oregon Linda

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My nic from 2009 tests 3 - 5 mg less than when it was placed in the freezer. Has not taken on any discoloration nor smells or tastes. If it does not hold up for the long run, I may need to rethink my options here.
What was the mg when you bought it?
I'm guessing 100mg but just want to make sure.
Do you really see PG & VG getting difficult to purchase? That sounds like quite a stretch as they both have numerous applications beyond vaping.
There have been reports of additives being put in to prevent use in vaping applications.
If I knew what search words to use to find links, I would post them.
:(

Last edited:
Reactions: mattiem

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I have 1.5 liters of 100mg nicotine in the freezer, and a gallon of 10mg 30/70 PG/VG mix. Flavors I can always get, same with PG and VG. Played with PEG and didn't like it, but if worse comes to worse... The amount of nicotine is more than enough to keep the wife and I, along with a few friends, good with eliquid for several years. In fact, the only thing I need later is the VG and possibly the PG, and they would have to ban ranching and homemade soaps to stop me from getting a supply of either. Have to ban homemade candy also to stop the flavors. Any possible additives to make PG or VG unsafe for vaping would also make them unsafe to use on animals and in food/soap making.

I have schematics of several different DIY Box Mod setups, 4 of which I have made and use often, along with parts for several (and a lot of parts and boards for my favorite PWM, more by accident than design - but I will get more JIC). I also have a small stock of 510 connectors, both FD and Vari - my only DIY items that I cannot get via electronic stores, and the weakest link in my vape ban arsenal (assuming it gets that bad). I use 18650 sized flashlights and RC items. Batteries will never be a problem.

I have rolls of various wire, plenty of several types of wick, and while I currently have a goodly stock of my favorite tanks right now (a dozen Kangertech Subtank Mini's, in use between the wife and I), which I order by piece instead of whole, and so many drip tips I'm thinking of doing a yard sale just for them. Since I use the RBA for the STM, I'm covered there also. But this is also my weak link in future vaping. I can not make a replacement for a lost or damaged STM, or any other tank/topper. Even a simple, safe, dripper is beyond my skills and the tools I have on hand. While I do still have a old stock of cartos and carto tanks, making even those is out of reach.

I see that we need to change our connectors and how to modify items for tanks and/or RDA's.
If the DIY of tanks/atomizers could be broken through, I don't think there would be a problem for several years. I could sit out a ban right now, for long enough to see a change for the better.

EDIT: Please note that this was not in preparation for any ban. I just happen to like DIY of eliquid and devices for my own use!! LOL

Last edited:

Rasti B

Nov 19, 2015
What was the mg when you bought it?
I'm guessing 100mg but just want to make sure.

There have been reports of additives being put in to prevent use in vaping applications.
If I knew what search words to use to find links, I would post them.
:(

I just bought a bunch of Nude Nicotine in 70PG/30VG which will work fine for me.
I can even vape unflavored if I have to, so I can use it as is if needed.
There will be ample lead time to stock up on PG & VG if that becomes a necessity (which I seriously doubt), and it will remain inexpensive and mot taxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread