100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
but encased in that metal shell, no?

vg - you just have to sacrifice one of your coils and investigate further :D
I have not tried to clean them yet. I haven't been home from Thanksgiving all that long. So I will work with the Kanthal Head, since Mark has already destroyed a Ni200 Head.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I do think that since it's just the ceramic coming into contact with the cotton and not the wire itself, the cotton isn't going to burn like it does when it is just touching the wire. I do get the part about it being an insulator of sorts, but you're right; the cotton is going to gunk up just like any cotton coil! I am eager to try it out, though. Have you gotten shipping info on your tank yet?

I agree. I suspect that the ceramic will diffuse the direct heat from the wire. But it will still clog...

Nope--no shipping notification yet.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I get your point, but i suspect they werent counting on someone taking one of their coils apart, and to take them at their word/face value

Quite separate from your theory above is still the misleading issue of the mysterious cotton, and them claiming you could dry burn their coil and reuse it, you wanna dry burn cotton?

Not me
The Manual clearly says that Dry Burning could damage the Coil or the Device!!!

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I agree. I suspect that the ceramic will diffuse the direct heat from the wire. But it will still clog...

Nope--no shipping notification yet.
What's up with that? I got shipping notification about my setup early this morning (no tracking info available yet, but it's DHL). You might want to PM Evan and find out what's up. Not sure if kprthevapr got tracking yet but I will ask her.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
I do think that since it's just the ceramic coming into contact with the cotton and not the wire itself, the cotton isn't going to burn like it does when it is just touching the wire. I do get the part about it being an insulator of sorts, but you're right; the cotton is going to gunk up just like any cotton coil! I am eager to try it out, though. Have you gotten shipping info on your tank yet?
I Dry Burned both my Kanthal Head and my Ni200 Head, by setting the Mod to Wattage Mode. Nothing burned. Only the exposed Coils glowed red, but the Ceramics did not. The Ceramics did not get hot enough to clean them, like torching would. The cotton seems to be wrapped around the outer circumference of the Ceramic cylinder. Look at the width and length of what Mark showed.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
What is wrong with Cotton?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing! I love cotton in my coils.

My problem is with "misleading" advertising. Self cleaning? Long lasting? Nope.

The only thing this "ceramic" does is make the coils unrebuildable and even un-rewickable, which, of course, will make the cost of using them much higher. And at 1.5 times longer coil life (per Vaporesso), I don't see how that would make any sense for me.

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I Dry Burned both my Kanthal Head and my Ni200 Head, by setting the Mod to Wattage Mode. Nothing burned. Only the exposed Coils glowed red, but the Ceramics did not. The Ceramics did not get hot enough to clean them, like torching would. The cotton seems to be wrapped around the outer circumference of the Ceramic cylinder. Look at the width and length of what Mark showed.

Yes it looks like the coils I have in a Phazer tank I got from Apollo. That one comes apart easily (you have to reuse the air flow ring) and the coil has a cotton band around the outside of the metal casing the coil and cotton sit in. I think it makes for better juice control, and since the cCell has what, 6? juice holes I wondered if that was part of the reason for the cotton around it, along with a bit of insulation. it seems to me that the cotton would go bad before the ceramic, but I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV. :D Thoughts?

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
A very good review. :

Another idiot. The coil IS exposed, though only partially.

He clearly has a new Version 2 in the Silver one, but his Tank O-Rings are still Orange. Why are there so many versions of this thing? :blink: And my grip/battery cover DOES NOT feel like leather.

Another idiot statement!!! The Manual does not say to Prime them, but it does say to let them soak in the filled Tank for two minutes before use when the Head is new.

He said again that the coils are not "exposed to the elements." Unless there has been a change in the way to Ceramics is Sintered, the Coil IS partially exposed.

He said his Ni200 Coil is 0.15Ω. Mine is 0.20Ω, so some changes must have been made.

And did you notice that he has a Vaypresso, not a Vaporesso. I think he should have stayed with his "alternate application use" videos.
laugh.gif

Looks like another 12 minute first impression video.

NOTE:
If the cCell manufacturing process has been changed, then I see no good reason to tear one of my Heads apart. They have been used anyway, and an unused Head should be utilized for that kind of information.

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Nothing. Absolutely nothing! I love cotton in my coils.

My problem is with "misleading" advertising. Self cleaning? Long lasting? Nope.

The only thing this "ceramic" does is make the coils unrebuildable and even un-rewickable, which, of course, will make the cost of using them much higher. And at 1.5 times longer coil life (per Vaporesso), I don't see how that would make any sense for me.
I agree. But if they actually last 1.5X longer, then they will be a good choice for people who do not rebuild for whatever reason.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Another Note.

I was looking at the use of the 0.9Ω Kanthal Head. It is rated at up to 35W, and 35W would be a Calculated 5.6125 Volts and 6.236 Amps (for precisely 0.9Ω). So I still feel that a 10 Amp Continuous IMR would be very safe to use. But even at 75W (should you have a Kanthal {or otherwise} Head or Build that could allow 75W), this same 0.9Ω would only be 8.8.216 Volts at 9.129 Amps, and though getting kind of close to 10 Amps, a 10 Amp Continuous IMR would still be within safe operation limits.

For example, a 0.9Ω Dual Coil would be 37.5W per coil at 75W. And a 0.9Ω Quad Coil would be 18.75W per coil at 75W. In something like the Rampage RDA, a 0.9Ω Triple Coil would be 25W per coil at 75W.

The Mod (according to the Manual that I have) has the following specifications:

0V - 9V Output
5W - 75W
0.15Ω - 3Ω Resistance​

The highest resistance for 75W is 1.08Ω. The Max Wattage for 3.0Ω is 27 Watts.

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
OK, y'all.

Since @tiburonfirst has so sweetly asked me, I have decided to cut open my Kanthal cCell to dissect it for all of you.

:ohmy: Wait. Tibs, you did ask me Sweetly, didn't you? :blink:

Oh well, no matter now. :D I have already cut it open. I pulled the Plus Pin, white insulation grommet, and red Kanthal O-Ring (yellow in the image below), and I cut it with a Dremel Tool using a Cutoff Disc at the base, right above the threads, but below the protruded ring that it stops on when screwed into the Base section.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2001.jpg

I was right on both counts. The transparent plastic (or silicone) washer is at the top of the Ceramics, and is there to prevent shorts from the top of the exposed coil, and maybe also to help shockproof the Ceramics. I don't know yet if there is another one below the Ceramics. And while I have not pulled the Ceramics from the inner shell that it's in, it appears that the Cotton is wrapped around the entire Ceramic cylinder. The wall of Cotton appears to be about half the thickness of the Ceramic cylinder. Looks like two wraps of Cotton.

The Cotton and cCell can be pulled free from the inner shell now without damage, but before going any further, I stopped so I can video the rest of this exploration for you. I hope to have it finished, uploaded to YouTube, and posted tonight. :)

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
Looks like the discussion has gotten fairly lively. A huge thanks to @100%VG for taking the time to get into greater and hopefully better understanding about the coils. It may not be quite the revolution we all hoped it would be, but longer coil life and improved flavor are welcome attributes.

I wonder if Vaporesso is still testing and working on the mod and coils. This may be a step in the right direction and hopefully will function well and maybe lead to bigger improvements soon.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Looks like the discussion has gotten fairly lively. A huge thanks to @100%VG for taking the time to get into greater and hopefully better understanding about the coils. It may not be quite the revolution we all hoped it would be, but longer coil life and improved flavor are welcome attributes.

I wonder if Vaporesso is still testing and working on the mod and coils. This may be a step in the right direction and hopefully will function well and maybe lead to bigger improvements soon.
This is my hope, Trip. The Mod seems to have been through several changes. I can't speak for the Tank. If the inside self-prescribed medicinal-use smoker was correct, the Ni200 Head has been changed from 0.2Ω to 0.15Ω. But I hope that Vaporesso is watching and paying attention.

According to 5pcs Vaporesso Ceramic cCELL Replacement Coil Best E Cigarette Vape, Vaporizer Mod, Tank, the Ni200 is 0.2Ω and the Kanthal is 0.8Ω, but the Kanthal I got was 0.9Ω, so there's no way of knowing for sure just yet. I'll be interested to see what our Vaporesso Winners receive, and just how well they work.

I am not ready to call it quits on the cCells just yet. If they are still being reworked and made better, then they may be great, or might be soon.

Here are some photos (screenshots) from the Video for you while I am editing and uploading it. I won't be finished tonight. I'm going to bed soon. But the pictures and write-up should answer some questions.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2002.jpg

I cut the cCell apart with a Dremel Tool and
Cutting Disc at the level of the Blue O-Ring.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2003.jpg

This is the inner Stainless "shell" showing the size of the wick holes, and whatever the fibrous material is. It is NOT Cotton!!! I tried to tear it so I could crumple it to see if it would crumble like the original Aspire material did. It stretched but did not rip or tear. I stretched it harder and twisted it while stretching, but it still did not rip or tear. :blink: It did shrink in width where I stretched it, so this in NOT Cotton. It might be CelluCotton or some other kind of Rayon, but that is only a guess.

The fuzz you see here (and will see in the video) is some of my cat's baby-fine undercoat.
She's a longhair with a rabbit-soft undercoat.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2004.jpg

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2005.jpg

I got the Ceramics out without damage.
This shows finding the starting place
for the fibrous material wrapping.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2006.jpg

Two sheets of the fibrous material.
Burnt, probably from when I Dry Burned to clean it.
It can't be a silica material or it would not have burnt.
I found absolutely zero particles of Ceramic!!!

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2008.jpg

The Ceramic cCell cylinder.
The coil cannot be seen here,
but it is partially exposed.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2009.jpg

Where the Positive lead exits.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2010.jpg

Where the Negative lead exits.

Vaporesso%20Target%20cCell%20Cut%2010_1.jpg

What is probably a
Silicone Spacer, shown
in its position on top.
It was not burnt at all.
You'll see more of this and
hear more about it in the video.

The Ceramic looks to be splintered
here, but again, I found no debris.
And I'm fairly certain that if it had
not been Dry Burned, it would not
have this "splintered" appearance.

My Ceramic cylinder is not fragile
and it does not crumble when I
squeeze it tightly in my fingers.
It is still quite damp, so if it was
going to crumble, it would. When
I scratch it with a hard, sharp tool,
I can dig into it and get grit, but
it does not crumble or break apart.​

Last edited:

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
Didnt they also make a point of saying that the juice never came into contact with the coil....among many claims that have already been debunked.
I don't know if Vaporesso ever said that. The inside self-prescribed medicinal-use smoker is the only one that I actually remember saying that. I'm not implying that it hasn't been claimed. I just don't remember is all.

Reactions: cooladdict

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I may be misremembering, but its stuck in my head and theres no other coil/tank ive been looking at thats claiming it, so...

So far the following have been debunked, for those keeping score:

* Self cleaning - most reviewers up till the other day were spouting this as gospel, now we know better. It doesnt self clean, and dry burning it will not clean it.
* Longer lasting - due to the mystery ©not-cotton and ceramic makeup this is also untrue, it will clog like any other coil. Vaporesso uses the word guarantee in conjunction with longer lasting....
* No more wicks - it may not be ©not-cotton, but thats a concern in itself as their officlal video doesnt show any material inside the coil except ceramic, in fact they officially say "The cCELL coil has no wicks" so thats completely misleading....

I submit that theyre probably the reasons that most people were interested in the coils/tank

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Fantastic work--thank you so much, VG! :wub:

I agree. But if they actually last 1.5X longer,

Well, that 1.5x longer estimate seems to me rather arbitrary... I don't think they did actual testing of any kind, and per your account, your coil clogged up rather fast, if I remember correctly. But that's an academic discussion, because "1.5x longer" really doesn't mean much--you and I both know that you can take two identical stock coils from the same blister pack and one will start misbehaving after 6-8 mls while its sibling may still be going strong after 30 mls.

It is NOT Cotton!!!

Now this is interesting, because the Vaporesso rep said twice (in the comments section) that it indeed was cotton:

"The cotton is only used for controlling the e-liquid flow speed and anti leakage.

The cotton around the ceramic is used for liquid flow speed control and anti-leakage."

So, unless something is being lost in translation, this would be another untruth.

So I still feel that a 10 Amp Continuous IMR would be very safe to use.

Perhaps, I'm not an expert on high wattage vaping, but it seems lowish for a high end mod. Everybody recommends 20 Amps--don't you need some headroom for extra safety?

The Ceramic looks to be splintered here, but again, I found no debris.

So what do you think happened to the missing ceramic chunks? Where did they go?

It is still quite damp, so if it was going to crumble, it would.

Again, those kinds of materials do not crumble when wet--they tend to clump together. They do crumble when they are dry--as in a brand new, not yet saturated coil.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Fantastic work--thank you so much, VG! :wub:
Indeed!! TY, VG!

Now this is interesting, because the Vaporesso rep said twice (in the comments section) that it indeed was cotton:
So, unless something is being lost in translation, this would be another untruth.
Remember, to the Chinese manufacturers Stainless Steel is a color, and "cotton" means any textile.

Perhaps, I'm not an expert on high wattage vaping, but it seems lowish for a high end mod. Everybody recommends 20 Amps--don't you need some headroom for extra safety?
I'd agree that 10 Amp batts should not be used in VW and TC mods. Remember, you can't use simple Ohm's Law calculations on advanced mods. The circuits are swapping off voltage and current to boost one or the other. And there are also inherent inefficiencies to be considered. A good deal of headroom means your skull stays intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread