Twisted titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haadkoe

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2011
Picked up a 100' spool of 24ga titanium the other day. Wrapped a single contact coil, 12 wraps @ about 3mm clocking in at .67 ohms. I'm enjoying it quite a bit on my v3 Li.

Prior to picking up the Ti I was using twisted 28ga ni200, which I was also enjoying quite a bit.

I considered giving a twisted Ti coil a shot, but I've never seen anyone discuss doing so. Everybody using Ti seems to just wrap a traditional coil, either spaced or contact.

Any particular reason that no one is twisting Ti? Too springy, or Ti02 fears perhaps?

Enquiring minds want to know.

(Also, here's a pic I snapped earlier on a job site which I thought looked cool. Clouds bro, or rapture-palooza?)

Attachments

• IMG_20151127_133325.jpg
    IMG_20151127_133325.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 158

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
I liked ti a lot. I had a dual twisted coil in my veritas that was a nice vape I may try and replicate sometime. The springiness isn't as bad an issue for twisted builds as it is for getting a reasonably wound ti over ti clapton, especially if you twist the wire en masse vertically with a suspended weight. The only twisted build I have really liked has been dual vertical chimney coils on my Nixon. I wrapped the coils inner diameter to match the air intakes on the RDA. My twisted builds are usually a bit spitty, but the coil setup would just spit back into a heated coil. I gotta make that build again. I gotta try it with rayon.
I bought a spool of 26 gauge 316L stainless steel and I think I'm done with ti until I get some 24 gauge and then I'll try it again.
I'm not sure if I ever will though, I'm more likely to get some more ss. Try it out.

IMG_20150909_050805.jpg
IMG_20150909_050635.jpg

Reactions: novaracer69

Rockwell222

Sep 21, 2015
I was twisting ti for over 8 months and in the past month I've been doing claptons, fused claptons and staggered fused claptons with amazing success. One thing I would say is to use spaced coils if you are doing more advanced builds. I've always done spaced with all of my ti builds but especially with claptons and such. Trying to work out the hot spots would most likely require to much pulsing. Glad you enjoy the twisted ti. Use that for a while then move to claptons and you'll be blown away again with the wonderful titanium. :)

Reactions: Haadkoe

jefx

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2015
Chicago burbs
Im using triple twisted 28g titanium in my Bellus right now.

I've also used titanium claptons, but the twisted works just as well for me with less ramp up time for temp control.

Ive used titanium contact coils many times, but I feel that spaced coils work best for titanium. it just seems more consistent and reliable for temp control builds.

Rockwell222

Sep 21, 2015
Im using triple twisted 28g titanium in my Bellus right now.

I've also used titanium claptons, but the twisted works just as well for me with less ramp up time for temp control.

Ive used titanium contact coils many times, but I feel that spaced coils work best for titanium. it just seems more consistent and reliable for temp control builds.
Yeah when I was first try titanium I tried contact coils and they just weren't predictable what so ever. Now I haven't had any problems with a ti coil in 8 months or longer.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I've been using twisted titanium for over a year. 3x30:

rwwcVMb.jpg
Ross, it's a great vape. Thanks for the build. Twisted up 28g Ti. I am not a fan of twisted builds since they are so explosive and poppy. I cannot believe how SMOOTH and low key and flavorful the vape is. This was 11 wraps on a 2.5 and ohm'd out at .14 or so. I vaped it in Ti mode and power mode at 45 to 50 waytts and 450F. Really great. Pretty gunked out coils from Grants VC but here is a pic. Thanks again. I am going to try different vatiations like 3 cores of 30g or higher. Absolutely no popping or spitting. Just smooth warm flavorful vapor.
3320eb29e60d76eb3a5e25a3ae84aa90.jpg

Rockwell222

Sep 21, 2015
I vaped it in Ti mode and power mode at 45 to 50 waytts and 450F. Really great. =QUOTE]

Do you mean you vaped in Ti mode at 450f with 45 to 50 watts of power or that you vaped in power mode and also in ti mode. Because I wouldn't vape ti in power mode. It's something we don't have enough info on yet. I'm all for titanium especially because 90% of my builds are ti but I always keep it on ti mode unless I'm making sure the coil has no hotspots or trying to clean up coil and then I only fire at 8 watts or so with short pulses on power mode. I'm glad your enjoying it though it's by far the best wire imho.

Reactions: WharfRat1976
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread