Status
Not open for further replies.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
This being my first mechanical mod I don't know if this is a common problem that plagues them but I have a MCV kingpin authentic The button keeps on screwing a part and sometimes need to wiggle to fire the mod any suggestions

I have magnets coming for the switch and puar silver contacts great hopefully that'll help on that
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
This being my first mechanical mod I don't know if this is a common problem that plagues them but I have a MCV kingpin authentic The button keeps on screwing a part and sometimes need to wiggle to fire the mod any suggestions

I have magnets coming for the switch and puar silver contacts great hopefully that'll help on that

if it's a bottom fired mech, sounds like a common type of issue.

on many of them you can deal with the problem by ensuring you screw in the screw tight that holds the bottom switch together; then when you screw on the bottom switch to the mod, don't overtighten it on the battery.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
if it's a bottom fired mech, sounds like a common type of issue.

on many of them you can deal with the problem by ensuring you screw in the screw tight that holds the bottom switch together; then when you screw on the bottom switch to the mod, don't overtighten it on the battery.
0550271a8e32eb125d6ea2b05f5cb4c7.jpg

e34db66515e2fdda56b735b2bbee8ed0.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
0550271a8e32eb125d6ea2b05f5cb4c7.jpg

so is that a screw head which is smooth? I have a couple mods that have screwheads that are just plain, which I sliced a slot using a hacksaw blade so i could screw/unscrew using a regular flathead/slothead screwdriver.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
yep; that round screw head; you can cut a slot for a screwdriver on it , otherwise I guess you can use a longnose screwdriver when you want to tighten it.

Also that seems to be copper, so you'd want to clean off that black corrosion before you tighten everything up; not sure what's the best thing for cleaning copper but I'm sure lots of people who use copper mechs would know.

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
Drop it in a solution of white vinegar and common table salt. Let sit for a few minutes. Use a nylon brush to scrub it nice and shiny :) . FYI, I have suggested to MCV the use of knurled screw heads as an aid in manual torquing. For now, I use a thick rubber band around the screw head (with the O-ring in the switch removed). Since you have a new negative incoming, I might rough up the edges of the copper firing pin with 100-200 grit and tighten it down wearing rubber gloves. What type of thread lubricant are you using? NOALOX along the threads (even on copper-to-copper applications) might help as I have found that a layer of the compound generally makes threading and unthreading parts more difficult. Offhand, magnets and a new negative may help if the magnets provide reduced tension (vs the stock spring) on the firing pin at rest and/or the threads of the new negative are slightly out of spec and lightly seize on the button.

Last edited:

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Drop it in a solution of white vinegar and common table salt. Let sit for a few minutes. Use a nylon brush to scrub it nice and shiny :) . FYI, I have suggested to MCV the use of knurled screw heads as an aid in manual torquing. For now, I use a thick rubber band around the screw head (with the O-ring in the switch removed). Since you have a new negative incoming, I might rough up the edges of the copper firing pin with 100-200 grit and tighten it down wearing rubber gloves. What type of thread lubricant are you using? NOALOX along the threads (even on copper-to-copper applications) might help as I have found that a layer of the compound generally makes threading and unthreading parts more difficult. Offhand, magnets and a new negative may help if the magnets provide reduced tension (vs the stock spring) on the firing pin at rest and/or the threads of the new negative are slightly out of spec and lightly seize on the button.
Yes NOALOX
I am using it on every thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread