Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
The thing is if the company that made it goes out of business because of being regulated out that won't do you any good.

Please I know you don't like Mechs but PLEASE get yourself at least one good one. buy the little chips you can stick in a mech to make it regulated if you must. Just please have one good mech.
Science question: Why?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I'll go a step farther and say "please learn how to make your own PV". That way if everything you have goes to pot, you can gather up the pieces and make a new one yourself.
Agreed I have the instructions for a puck mod printed off and tucked away. I also have picked up multiples of the parts for one. If push came to shove even this silly old cat can learn to solder.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
There are a few things I've been watching, but I grabbed flavors earlier this month and totally blew the vape budget there. It's ok, because the place I get them at is only doing a discount on imported flavors. I'm trying to decide on another mod, but it's going to have to wait until maybe January. What do you think about this one? Made in TX with a lifetime transferrable warrenty. They have regulated & unregulated. HexOhm V2.1 - Craving Vapor

Kenna ... another option perhaps for a USA mod, repairable, etc. is the Provari 2.5 (~$80) or the Provari Classic (~$150) both are 10% off through Monday. Me personally ... I'd get one of those before the HexOhm.

ETA: Wait a minute. What happened to Janet's 14500 Rider Robusts? All gone?

Funny you should ask. They've been packed away for months. I just 'found' them the other day along w/ a slew of batts. I was thinking of putting them on the classifieds. But even if I price them low w/ the batts ... I'm not sure anyone would even be interested. The batts are probably worth more than the Riders themselves.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Agreed I have the instructions for a puck mod printed off and tucked away. I also have picked up multiples of the parts for one. If push came to shove even this silly old cat can learn to solder.
Want the parts list for a Hexohm v2?

About 20$ in parts from digikey.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
All of mine, 6 different models of PV, take 18650 or have built in. The VAMO can use 18350 but, I never did. Only thing I need concern myself with is max amp draw so I just buy high amp batteries and I have all my devices covered. Works out well.

That's pretty much my setup as well, Matt, although my count is higher. All 18650, even the 3 telescoping mechs in the box.

And all of those have Kicks so I can still vape regulated - until the kick electronics die.

But, in general, once electronics make it through their initial "burn in" period they're pretty reliable and each should, with abuse, last for years.

And a couple of the new models (none in my arsenal, though) do say you can flip a switch and use them in mech mode. Don't know if they totally bypass all the electronics or not. If they don't, I can't see any point to it. If they do, might be good for fall-back.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
That's pretty much my setup as well, Matt, although my count is higher. All 18650, even the 3 telescoping mechs in the box.

And all of those have Kicks so I can still vape regulated - until the kick electronics die.

But, in general, once electronics make it through their initial "burn in" period they're pretty reliable and each should, with abuse, last for years.

And a couple of the new models (none in my arsenal, though) do say you can flip a switch and use them in mech mode. Don't know if they totally bypass all the electronics or not. If they don't, I can't see any point to it. If they do, might be good for fall-back.
It's a mech emulator. To do a true switch over there would have to be a servo switch or some other mechanical circuit.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
It's a mech emulator. To do a true switch over there would have to be a servo switch or some other mechanical circuit.

Probably. But the switch could be made to totally bypass the electronics by bridging the board input and output... but likely not, as it's more, imo, a gimmick than a feature.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
To me, a mech is stepping backwards. Regulated gives the same flavor from the time you put in a new batt till the time it's just about dead and has to be changed. Not seeing the (mech) advantage except that they'll likely last for eons since there's not much to go bad. Just a batt with an on/off switch. Regs are a lot more sophisticated so a lot can go wrong.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    All the POWER!!!!! Bwahahahaha

:evil:

Funny, my lil OKR T3 was a fantastic mod ..... right up until I tried to make it even better :lol:

add:
    there is nothing "stepping backward' about a mechanical. It's just a different way to do the same thing. That's about like saying a bellcrank is "old hat" because you can do the same thing with a lever or cam.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    To me, a mech is stepping backwards. Regulated gives the same flavor from the time you put in a new batt till the time it's just about dead and has to be changed. Not seeing the (mech) advantage except that they'll likely last for eons since there's not much to go bad. Just a batt with an on/off switch. Regs are a lot more sophisticated so a lot can go wrong.

Which is precisely the point for a vapocalpse box unit. That's why I have some. Insurance. (GASP! Insurance without a monthly premium!! :w00t:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread