Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
According to steam engine, a dual coil @ 26g/0.6ohms/27W = a heat flux of only 100mW/mm². Isn't that really cold? I've only ever used single coils and when I enter in the values I get heat flux values of >200. What am I missing.
Your issue is that you've doubled the coil surface area/mass, with no change in resistance, or wattage. So, you've effectively split the wattage that worked fine for you with a single coil... between two coils.

To increase HF, you can:
  • 1. Use a smaller diameter wire gauge, reducing surface area/mass.
  • 2. Increase wattage above your Ohm's law calculation value... unless you're using a mech, then Ohm's law is what you get.
  • 3. Staying with 26 gauge dual parallels / 27 watts... reduce resistance until you obtain the desired HF.
You have a few "holes" in your Steam Engine knowledge... click the first sigline hyperlink below for my SE advanced user guide.

Ciao

Reactions: Sausages

Sausages

Nov 28, 2015
Your issue is that you've doubled the coil surface area/mass, with no change in resistance, or wattage. So, you've effectively split the wattage that worked fine for you with a single coil... between two coils.

To increase HF, you can:
  • 1. Use a smaller diameter wire gauge, reducing surface area/mass.
  • 2. Increase wattage above your Ohm's law calculation value... unless you're using a mech, then Ohm's law is what you get.
  • 3. Staying with 26 gauge dual parallels / 27 watts... reduce resistance until you obtain the desired HF.
You have a few "holes" in your Steam Engine knowledge... click the first sigline hyperlink below for my SE advanced user guide.

Ciao
I am using a mech.

Just to clarify, I wasn't inputting the same values and just toggling between single and dual, I entered in the single coil build that I'm running right now and then tried to find its equivalent dual coil build. I better read a bit more about this. My current understanding tells me that single coils are much more efficient.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
My current understanding tells me that single coils are much more efficient.
Actually... one is not more or less efficient than the other. For every Ohm's law derived wattage, there will be an "optimal" build... or at least as optimal as you can get for your preferences, juice and equipment.

You set your desired goals, like... for a single coil build at 0.4Ω...

"I prefer as my number one desired value, a 300 HF +/- 20 mW/mm²"

From this, you work out what wire gauge you need to obtain the above, with secondary values of:
  • Greatest surface area.
  • Lowest HC (time to temp).
  • Least leg loss.
If you can't get all the values you want, then maybe you just get as close as you can... and maybe accept a kinda slow HC to get great numbers everywhere else.
Maybe you need to adjust your net resistance up or down, or try a dual parallel build with all new variables, including a different RDA.
At some point, with enough experimentation you find the best combination of variables for every atomizer you own. That experimentation time can be reduced dramatically if you have a good understanding of SE... and what the variables are that produce a vape you like.

Hell... your build can be available wattage dependent, juice blend dependent.... or maybe you like really short draws off a 550 mW/mm² build.
scare3.gif

Sausages

Nov 28, 2015
Actually... one is not more or less efficient than the other. For every Ohm's law derived wattage, there will be an "optimal" build... or at least as optimal as you can get for your preferences, juice and equipment.

From this, you work out what wire gauge you need to obtain the above, with secondary values of:
  • Greatest surface area.
  • Least leg loss.
If you can't get all the values you want, then maybe you just get as close as you can... and maybe accept a kinda slow HC to get great numbers everywhere else.
Maybe you need to adjust your net resistance up or down, or try a dual parallel build with all new variables, including a different RDA.
At some point, with enough experimentation you find the best combination of variables for every atomizer you own. That experimentation time can be reduced dramatically if you have a good understanding of SE... and what the variables are that produce a vape you like.

Hell... your build can be available wattage dependent, juice blend dependent.... or maybe you like really short draws off a 550 mW/mm² build.
scare3.gif
Wow. Fantastic. Thank you @State O' Flux.

Sausages

Nov 28, 2015

• Greatest surface area.
  • Least leg loss.

scare3.gif
Am I correct in assuming that HF is the "most important" (I'm talking in terms of quality of vape after you figure out your personal preferences, not convenience or anything else), followed by surface area. With good HC and leg loss values being bonuses. I'm probably incorrect aren't I :)

In other words, what's a good order to be using those variables in if I want to be experimenting? Of course the RDA/juice will be constantly experimented with - I'm wondering about the coil. Apologies if these things are already covered in your blog, I'll get to it soon.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Temp and surface area are my primary key values... but don't end up with a crazy high HC to get them.

That's how I understand it ... The higher the heat capacity number, the slower the coil / coils will come up to heat.

I make a single coil with a heat capacity of about 31 mJ/K ... There may be some thin-wire coils that heat faster, but mine heats plenty fast.

(Get a HC of above 60, and I think your going to have a real slow to heat coil) ... ok I guess if your willing to press and hold the fire button for a couple of seconds before drawing a vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread