Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
First you have to get your foot in the door and get somebody to listen with a somewhat open mind. You are working against a host of cognitive biases, e.g., confirmation bias, illusory correlation, Semmelweis bias*, subjective validation, availability cascade (repeat a lie often enough, etc.), bandwagon effect, conservatism bias (discounting the value of new information).

*Named after the doctor who discovered that the incidence of child bed fever infections could be dramatically reduced by doctors washing their hands. Nobody believed him and he was roundly condemned by the medical community. Eventually, he was confined against his will in a mental asylum, where he was severely beaten by guards and died not long afterward from, ironically, an infection.

And about 50 yrs after his find about handwashing, Dr. Lister proposed his radical theories about carbolic acid. Thank goodness, the medical world was slightly more prepared to listen at that point.

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Promising. The topic deserves modern production values and good theatrics. I think the vaping story is all about governments, who take most of the money, and NGO's, who get most of the money. I think the tobacco and drug compaies are the vultures, not the preditors. They are waiting for something to die so they can dive in and feed on it.

DIY was my revelation. A quality vape can be absurdly cheap. With a few hundred dollars worth of stuff I can vape for years and expect to resupply only VG, PG, favoring, and batteries. I hope the documentary looks carefully at the economics of vaping. $3,000 a year to smoke a carton a week vs. about $50 for a year supply of DIY. That's what could end the Tobacco Age.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
... $3,000 a year to smoke a carton a week vs. about $50 for a year supply of DIY. That's what could end the Tobacco Age.

I come up with ~ $4,000 annually but that was just averaging a brand name and RYO for tobacco. Agree with you though, simply this ought to slay dragons.

Reactions: EBates

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I come up with ~ $4,000 annually but that was just averaging a brand name and RYO for tobacco. Agree with you though, simply this ought to slay dragons.
Divide your weekly paycheck into your annual cigarette cost. How many weeks did you have to work to pay for cigarettes? I can pay the annual cost of vaping in a couple of days or less and still have a state of the art vape. I think the economic burden of smoking is just as important as the health burden. The lower your income the more important that savings becomes to your family. Perhaps a case could be made that the economic damage done by tobacco taxes rivals or exceeds the damage done to health by smoking. Why not tax fat in food? Why not ban the use of flavors in ice cream?

I read a business article this morning that says cigalikes are half the vape market and 59% of smokers are vaping at least once a week. The cigalike percentage doesn't surprise me but the number of smokers doing some vaping (dual users) is way higher than I would have predicted.

Reynolds believes Vuse innovations will spur e-cig sales

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I think the economic burden of smoking is just as important as the health burden. The lower your income the more important that savings becomes to your family. Perhaps a case could be made that the economic damage done by tobacco taxes rivals or exceeds the damage done to health by smoking.
The economic burden being heaped on smokers via taxes, is likely doing a lot of damage to the health of the people with the least resources to cope with that burden. It's a huge contradiction to the concerns by public health officials of poverty leading to poor health, and their stated desires to rectify health disparities between levels of socioeconomic status, that they would be the most vocal proponents of heavy-handed sin taxing of smokers.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Personally I would rather see money being used toward more testing of all aspects of vaping than on race car sponsorship and stuff like this.

"Teeth" is going to be science based. Science is "teeth".

This film is no different than a Michael Moore "political" documentary. Just a different kind.

In that, it will not change any minds IMHO. Those who already agree w/the message will love it. Anyone who doesn't will just dismiss it as poltiical propanganda.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Personally I would rather see money being used toward more testing of all aspects of vaping than on race car sponsorship and stuff like this.

"Teeth" is going to be science based. Science is "teeth".

This film is no different than a Michael Moore "political" documentary. Just a different kind.

In that, it will not change any minds IMHO. Those who already agree w/the message will love it. Anyone who doesn't will just dismiss it as poltiical propanganda.
There are probably a lot more people with no opinion, or who are on the fence regarding vaping, than most politically charged issues presented in documentaries, but I think the problem you've described will cut into the film's influence.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
There are probably a lot more people with no opinion, or who are on the fence regarding vaping, than most politically charged issues presented in documentaries, but I think the problem you've described will cut into the film's influence.

People watch these all the time, like King Corn, Fat Head, Frack them All, The Coming Pandemic, Globesity, Statin Nation, Fast Food Fast Profits, An Inconvenient Truth, Food INC, Guantanamo, Hugo Chavez.....there are a TON of them. Most people view them as borderline conspiracy theory films.

People first will look to see "who" made the film, who it is funded by......and then if it is funded by the same groups who are trying to put forward their idea, then it looks like propaganda they just don't buy it. (and usually, the group(s) trying to put forward their "idea" are the ones that you find out ARE funding it.)

I've just seen what happens to these efforts. So, did scientists make this film or did pro-vape industry make it? Just sayin'.......

Not saying it shouldn't have been done, just don't think it will accomplish any major inroads for us.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Divide your weekly paycheck into your annual cigarette cost. How many weeks did you have to work to pay for cigarettes? I can pay the annual cost of vaping in a couple of days or less and still have a state of the art vape. I think the economic burden of smoking is just as important as the health burden. The lower your income the more important that savings becomes to your family. Perhaps a case could be made that the economic damage done by tobacco taxes rivals or exceeds the damage done to health by smoking. Why not tax fat in food? Why not ban the use of flavors in ice cream?

I read a business article this morning that says cigalikes are half the vape market and 59% of smokers are vaping at least once a week. The cigalike percentage doesn't surprise me but the number of smokers doing some vaping (dual users) is way higher than I would have predicted.

Reynolds believes Vuse innovations will spur e-cig sales

Well, I did bring in around $400 weekly once. *chuckles* No longer do that. Wife brings that for two weeks. I won't even start on how unfair that seems. The $400 I brought in was ~ 5-7 years ago, and weekly not every two weeks. I was also full time. Wife is only still part time. Still not sure that accounts, yet will digress.

So, I would have needed to worked say 11 weeks out of 52 to pay for ~$4,000 of cigarettes. I add a week to give a buffer. That leaves 41 weeks to pay for food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, insurance. It is roughly 1/4 of a year finance wise used to pay for cigarettes. That does not allow any sick time, or other emergencies we all know crop up.

Some of the calculations with vaping I've done lower the cost for me to ~$200 yearly. And that is not bothering with DIY juice or coils. Yes, I may need to include ~$15 year for electricity, if I did not use my computer to charge most of my batteries. Even still around $200 comparing to $4,000 creates a vivid perspective. Then count in the added benefit of reducing medical costs, priceless. :)

Feel bad having smoked two cigarettes this week. They were the first in a month. They will probably be the last at least until next month. I no longer desire cigarettes. When I stumble and smoke them, it is that, stumbling. I wake the next day reminded of how sick they make me. Would like to say, "that's it I'm full done, no more cigarettes", but not sure I'm quite a saint of vaping yet. I'm close, very close.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Well, I did bring in around $400 weekly once. *chuckles* No longer do that. Wife brings that for two weeks. I won't even start on how unfair that seems. The $400 I brought in was ~ 5-7 years ago, and weekly not every two weeks. I was also full time. Wife is only still part time. Still not sure that accounts, yet will digress.

So, I would have needed to worked say 11 weeks out of 52 to pay for ~$4,000 of cigarettes. I add a week to give a buffer. That leaves 41 weeks to pay for food, clothing, shelter, fuel, utilities, insurance. It is roughly 1/4 of a year finance wise used to pay for cigarettes. That does not allow any sick time, or other emergencies we all know crop up.

Some of the calculations with vaping I've done lower the cost for me to ~$200 yearly. And that is not bothering with DIY juice or coils. Yes, I may need to include ~$15 year for electricity, if I did not use my computer to charge most of my batteries. Even still around $200 comparing to $4,000 creates a vivid perspective. Then count in the added benefit of reducing medical costs, priceless. :)

Feel bad having smoked two cigarettes this week. They were the first in a month. They will probably be the last at least until next month. I no longer desire cigarettes. When I stumble and smoke them, it is that, stumbling. I wake the next day reminded of how sick they make me. Would like to say, "that's it I'm full done, no more cigarettes", but not sure I'm quite a saint of vaping yet. I'm close, very close.

You could always try the "one day at a time" method; it's worked for me, with alcohol, for over 23 yrs' worth of days now. Because it's ALWAYS "today"... so if you just say "I won't smoke TODAY"... you're covered. :D

Andria

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
You could always try the "one day at a time" method; it's worked for me, with alcohol, for over 23 yrs' worth of days now. Because it's ALWAYS "today"... so if you just say "I won't smoke TODAY"... you're covered. :D

Andria

I ought to have recalled that. My grandfather and uncle had thirty years of one day at a time before each having 1/4 a beer on a very hot Summer's day. They had returned from a Chesapeake bay fishing trip with friends. These friends had left a single beer in a cooler with some fish. It was odd seeing Pap & Buddy 'crack open a cold one'.

After they had their fill such as it was, I got told to get rid of the rest in front of them. Pap then asked. "Not had that for twenty years of your life, need it now?" Pap left November of last year, the docs said it was a blood clot from his calf muscle. Apparently the clot found its way to his heart.

Me and uncle 'Buddy' both both know he's going to have a large mess of perch, bass, muskie waiting for us to clean. Then, we'll go dole out fish to those who need. Finally, we'll go fishing with Pap. We might even sneak up on him in his secret fishing spot. Be something to catch the old General before he does. :)

Saw my uncle on a recent trip home in VA.. He seemed to be doing well enough, though he also seemed a wraith. Think we all three do, cut from the same cloth. He passed out 'hats' toboggans he had knitted up in his spare time. We had all showed up at a VFW to hear Bluegrass/Country/Gospel jamming. He gave an Amish lady a set of three hats for her three little boys. Their eyes alight as they saw he enjoyed making the hats and giving them freely.

Ah, sorry. Those darn tough guys, ya know. They wind up lost in dusty rooms. Excuse me.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I hope the full film isn't as flashy, commercial, propaganda-feeling and 100 edits a minute as that teaser. It also seemed to include all the false attacks against vaping, maybe over half of it was covering them, which seems weird to bring up especially in the teaser.

Thing is, a film could come out AFTER the government screws up vaping and be more about using vaping as an example of government madness, but before that happens it's going to seem more like propaganda. Unfortunately.

nicnik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 20, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    I hope the full film isn't as flashy, commercial, propaganda-feeling and 100 edits a minute as that teaser. It also seemed to include all the false attacks against vaping, maybe over half of it was covering them, which seems weird to bring up especially in the teaser.
    It seemed like it would be difficult for the general public, and underinformed vapers, to know which statements the filmakers support and which they consider to be misinformation and/or lies.

There is no such confusion regarding the misinformation about smoking. The film is supporting those lies.

Reactions: AndriaD

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    Personally I would think the best approach might be to hit from one angle and build everything to that. And that is angle is how many hundreds of thousands/ millions (more?) might die as a direct consequence of the current propaganda to demonize vaping -- in direct contrast to the best available science. Subsequently examining ulterior, counter-logical and questionable motives of those doing so is then all the more damning.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    It seemed like it would be difficult for the general public, and underinformed vapers, to know which statements the filmakers support and which they consider to be misinformation and/or lies.

That was my thought, too -- they show all these ignorant lawmakers and ANTZ spouting their ignorance, but don't do a very good job of identifying that it IS ignorance being spouted. I really think that needs to be made a lot more clear.

Andria

I must agree with you and Phillips. As tempting as it may be to maximize the contrast between the health effects of smoking vs. vaping, we should consistently rely on good science. And there's plenty of it to show that vaping is a helluva lot less harmful.

I also believe that it's pointless for us to attack BPH for their exaggerated claims regarding second-hand smoke. That's not our fight, and it's so firmly entrenched in the mind of the public that it would be a virtually impossible task.

Very true. However, there is a crucial difference with ABL using the SHS stat and the billion lives one. That being that there is a large dose of truth in the billion lives sound bite, but none in the SHS one. IMHO it's fine to throw the billion lives thing back at tobacco control liars, because it is a valid tool for shaming them over their stance on e-cigs, but once we start quoting their own entirely baseless (in science) pronouncements, it's tacit endorsement of their entirely baseless pronouncements against vaping.

Hence why I wrote this, and I stand by it.

A Billion Lives, My Take | Dick Puddlecote

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread