So what are the stockpiling strategies in light of an uncertain future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cllmda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You love him right?

T

you BET ;) !

...otherwise I wouldnt even bother asking him to go to the store to choose it together, Id just order it on my own!!!

JK ;).... Did it come out sounding bad ?????

It will end up being a costly purchase (1200-1500 $) and in those cases I feel that BOTH partners should have a say or at least seem to make the decision /choice together, even though he would probably rather I just took care of the whole thing on my own (not really interested in hanging out & spending Saturday in a dept store checking out kitchen appliances ;) lol)

On another note, the main reason I decided to "try" a 9.99 throw -away electronic cig over 4 years ago..... and never smoked since.... was FOR HIM !

I never planned on stopping smoking for myself or my health (yes,I know it sounds crazy today but I was young and liked smoking and didnt think about things like my health etc etc...) and my husband never used to say anything about it or complain about the smoke in the house etc. but then ,one day, I saw him pull the top of his tshirt over his face when i was smoking in the living room so I asked him if it really bothered him...and he said "oh YEAH,it sure does"...we'd been living together for about 5 yrs at that point but hed never said anything!!!
SO when I was next at the store I saw a 9.99 electronic cig at the counter while I was paying and thought " hey ...let me try this" and I never went back :) :)!!!

But he loves my vaping, says it smells really nice (I vape fruit & dessert/coffee flavors) !!!! :)

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Do you really see PG & VG getting difficult to purchase? That sounds like quite a stretch as they both have numerous applications beyond vaping. Flavors are also used for other purposes and don't seem likely to be immediately at risk of being prohibited. The only thing and a necessary one (for most of us at least) that can be effectively surtaxed, tariffed, made prohibitive, or prohibited is nicotine. Regardless, at today's prices it is at least a hedge against inflation.

I stock up everything because I would rather be overly prepared than under prepared. If PG and VG don't get hit by the FDA fiasco then fine I'm well stocked for a long time...but if they do get hit I will be ready.

I agree that flavors probably won't be touched. The flavor companies that advertise vaping probably will be hit though. It's about "intended use'. A lot of the bigger flavor companies like TFA/TPA don't even have vaping or ecigs listed on their site at all. I don't see them being touched in any way. Their intended use is cooking/baking not vaping.

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
I don't know. Maybe it is just me. I like to ALWAYS check my nic before it goes into the freezer. Nic strength, smell, taste, color etc

I have received 'off' nic to many times to be comfortable NOT checking it before It put it into the freezer. I received some off smelling and dark colored nic many times. The vendor has always replaced it. The replacement was always perfect.

Any nic I buy here forward will be due to regulations. Before I freeze what might be my ONLY nic source, ya darn tootin I will be checking it. Closer than I ever have.

I guess I would have to REALLY trust my vendor in order to let them select the nic they are sending me, spray the Argon in it KNOWING I will not be opening this bottle until... and not send me some nic they needed to get rid of.

Paranoid much??? Nope, I have just been shafted before with bad nic, too many times to count since 2009. I will check my nic before I freeze it. Especially if regulations fall and it will be the only nic I have to tide me over.

Not saying NN would do this, but I never dreamed my other vendors would either. I know the vendors saw the dark colored nic that was going into my bottle, but they sent it to me anyway.

Ehhhhhh, yeah I will check especially if the nic is going to be my insurance policy. THAT'S just me though. To each there own :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't know. Maybe it is just me. I like to ALWAYS check my nic before it goes into the freezer. Nic strength, smell, taste, color etc

I have received 'off' nic to many times to be comfortable NOT checking it before It put it into the freezer. I received some off smelling and dark colored nic many times. The vendor has always replaced it. The replacement was always perfect.

Any nic I buy here forward will be due to regulations. Before I freeze what might be my ONLY nic source, ya darn tootin I will be checking it. Closer than I ever have.

I guess I would have to REALLY trust my vendor in order to let them select the nic they are sending me, spray the Argon in it KNOWING I will not be opening this bottle until... and not send me some nic they needed to get rid of.

Paranoid much??? Nope, I have just been shafted before with bad nic, too many times to count since 2009. I will check my nic before I freeze it. Especially if regulations fall and it will be the only nic I have to tide me over.

Not saying NN would do this, but I never dreamed my other vendors would either. I know the vendors saw the dark colored nic that was going into my bottle, but they sent it to me anyway.

Ehhhhhh, yeah I will check especially if the nic is going to be my insurance policy. THAT'S just me though. To each there own :)
I think opening one of the eight 125ml bottles that I get when I buy a liter and checking it (by using it) is entirely sufficient. I can't say I do this every time, because I buy for stock more often than I actually go through a 125 ml bottle, but I sleep well at night knowing at at least some of the nic in my freezer is definitely good. Moreover, none of the nic I've ever gotten from NN (that I've used) has ever been "off" in any way.

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
I
I think opening one of the eight 125ml bottles that I get when I buy a liter and checking it (by using it) is entirely sufficient. I can't say I do this every time, because I buy for stock more often than I actually go through a 125 ml bottle, but I sleep well at night knowing at at least some of the nic in my freezer is definitely good. Moreover, none of the nic I've ever gotten from NN (that I've used) has ever been "off" in any way.
it is perfect if you will be using one bottle out of what you receive per order. But I do not do this.

I pull the oldest bottle. When I do, I order a new from a different vendor.
I do not put all my eggs in one basket either in case that particular vendors nic does not hold up well in the freezer. I have had some take on a tobacco flavor in long term storage in the freezer. Never reordered that nic again. clear as a bell of flavor, smell and color going in. A few years later it came up in rotation and it was golden color and has a tobacco taste. I vaped it plain but I made a note to never order nic from them again.I actually still haev some of the nic in my freezer from that batch. It went in the freezer in august of 2009.

Just my way of doing it. I test before it goes in, make notes on the bottle. Then in a few years it will come up front in the rotation. This gives me a good idea of how that vendors nic is holding up in the freezer in a longer time frame than a year. Sure, vendors change their nic source quiet often and batch to batch is different, but i have a good idea now of what vendors tend to carry the nic I like.

If I was using at least some of the nic that came in a order, then I probably wouldn't have problem with argon and not opening the bottle because I would be basically testing it anyway.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I agree that flavors probably won't be touched. The flavor companies that advertise vaping probably will be hit though. It's about "intended use'. A lot of the bigger flavor companies like TFA/TPA don't even have vaping or ecigs listed on their site at all. I don't see them being touched in any way. Their intended use is cooking/baking not vaping.
And when you start combining the "intended use" doctrine with flavors and advertising....
Say goodbye to diketone-free flavors.

Or at least knowing how to determine which ones are diketone-free...
Because they won't be able to tell you.

That's a clear and obvious ramification of the "intended use" doctrine put into action.

But I seriously doubt that the "intended use" doctrine will hold up in court.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
I have no qualms about 1 - 2 years under refrigeration. There might, maybe be some loss of strength, but it's still going to be safe and useable. Understand that I'm talking about nicotine base - not flavored liquids.
I'm talking about nicotine dilluted in pg/vg at 10% (100mg). Since base won't freeze, wouldn't it be about the same if it stays in a dark room in room temperature?

Vapez

Reactions: Nermal

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Now, that just might depended on what you mean by room temperature. :)

To be honest, I've got about a liter in the freezer and haven't used any of it, so I'm just going by reports from others, but some of them are pretty knowledgeable. Smart money is on the freezer first and refrigerator second. They also say not to freeze flavored liquids. I use amber bottles, but I take it on faith the light goes off when you close the door. For what it's worth, my order from Wizard Labs suggested some temperature around 37f.

ETA: Oh yeah, I use the term freeze in the sense of being below the freezing point of water.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm talking about nicotine dilluted in pg/vg at 10% (100mg). Since base won't freeze, wouldn't it be about the same if it stays in a dark room in room temperature?
No, it won't be the same. Chemical reactions happen more slowly at lower temperatures.

That said, I'd expect nic base to still be usable after a year or two if it's stored in the dark, in glass bottles, with high quality caps, and with minimal headspace (air) in the bottle.

Vapez

Ultra Member
Aug 22, 2015
Norway
No, it won't be the same. Chemical reactions happen more slowly at lower temperatures.

That said, I'd expect nic base to still be usable after a year or two if it's stored in the dark, in glass bottles, with high quality caps, and with minimal headspace (air) in the bottle.

Hmm. Some say glass, some say what they come with from the shop..

Vapez

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

Vapez
Do not think so. Rule of thumb: chemical reaction slows in half if temperature drops 10C. Room temperature: +20C. Freezer temperature: -20C. Difference 4*10. So, freezer will slow down chemical reactions by 16 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread