Another mod accident but this one has me baffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjaman

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
bristol, england.
Mech mods are a machismo thing. They are more manly because they are risky. Having said that, I don't use unregulated devices and have no intention of starting. They could be safer with more venting and inline fuses. I've though it should be possible to make an inline module with bluetooth that could have all the protections, watts control, temp control and be configurable with a smart phone. But the macho guys wouldn't go for that. Mechs were on my roadmap until I saw some batteries vented on purposes in youtube videos. I wonder how many of the batteries involved in these recent mech accidents involved using the wrong battery or a fake. Even so the mech tubes I've looked at were not adequately vented. There's plenty of blame to go around.

The market will take care of this. US retailers will stop carrying them for liability reasons.
If you start adding these things to mechanical mods, they cease to be mechanical mods and become regulated devices, which already exist.
The whole point of mechanical mods is the smooth analogue output of them.
It's nothing to do with "a machismo thing" at all, Well, for most people at least anyway.
Dudebro's are a different matter though, but they deserve to lose their faces and fingers and neckbeards anyway...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If you start adding these things to mechanical mods, they cease to be mechanical mods and become regulated devices, which already exist.
It's nothing to do with "a machismo thing" at all, Well, for most people at least anyway.
Dudebro's are a different matter though, but they deserve to lose their faces and fingers and neckbeards anyway...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
The people getting in trouble with mechs are letting their egos get ahead of their caution. It's none of my business what people decide to vape. I just want everybody to be able to vape. I'm hoping, expecting that the walk in shops will stop carrying mechs. I suspect none of the accidents we've read about were mail order mods.

Reactions: haleysdadda

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Just because it needed to be said again.

Or, Kicks can be used to do all those things except the "bluetooth", in a mech (I want to vape with my mod, not make phone calls or compute with it!). And I always use a Kick if I use a mech, just because I don't want a steadily less-satisfying vape as the battery discharges, I want 9 or 10 watts at all times, regardless of the resistance or the state of the battery's charge.

Because there is no "whole point" to using a mech; people use them for different reasons -- I have 2, just as vapocalypse insurance -- if they malfunction, they're much easier to repair than circuit boards. And I have 5 Kicks; 2 that have been used, when I used my mechs to get familiar with them, and 3 extras for vapocalypse insurance.

What your "whole point" for using a mech may be.. someone else probably has a different "whole point."

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Or, Kicks can be used to do all those things except the "bluetooth", in a mech (I want to vape with my mod, not make phone calls or compute with it!). And I always use a Kick if I use a mech, just because I don't want a steadily less-satisfying vape as the battery discharges, I want 9 or 10 watts at all times, regardless of the resistance or the state of the battery's charge.

Because there is no "whole point" to using a mech; people use them for different reasons -- I have 2, just as vapocalypse insurance -- if they malfunction, they're much easier to repair than circuit boards. And I have 5 Kicks; 2 that have been used, when I used my mechs to get familiar with them, and 3 extras for vapocalypse insurance.

What your "whole point" for using a mech may be.. someone else probably has a different "whole point."

Andria
Thanks for reminding me. Mechs can have kicks that do more than just act as a fuse. What kicks are you using? I looked on fastech. They have one for $7 with 1500 glowing reviews. What else is out there to consider? $7.26 Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod / PV - range: 5-12 watts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping If this is reliable hardware you can be a wimp by being safe and nobody needs to know, lol.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Thanks for reminding me. Mechs can have kicks that do more than just act as a fuse. What kicks are you using? I looked on fastech. They have one for $7 with 1500 glowing reviews. What else is out there to consider? $7.26 Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod / PV - range: 5-12 watts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping If this is reliable hardware you can be a wimp by being safe and nobody needs to know, lol.

My Kicks are all the Smoktech variety, same 5-12w (I vape at 9w, so that's fine for me). My first two were a bit more costly, but I got my last three on a great sale at Hoosiervapes.com, I think about $8 each. I don't order from FT since the first (and last) order I ever made with them took 43 days to arrive. I'm one of those to whom the "Why YOU should never order from FT" thread was addressed, most definitely.

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If you read comments, you can see why vaping regulations and taxation are so easy (to politicians) to implement: too many people hate vapers.
College student shatters vertebrae after his e-cigarette exploded

EDIT: Never mind, its British discussion.
The people who hate vaping work for tax supported institutions that might lose funding if cigarette sales crash. I'm reminded by andria that the accident probably would not have happened if there had been a kick in the mod. The vape shops around me have very little interest in hardware because they can't compete with mail order on price. They survive on pre mix e liquid. If the shops carried kicks and recommended them that might cover them on liability. It would also help if they carried only authentic top brand batteries. I discovered recently that the battery in a store bought mod I bought early on was a no name.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
The people who hate vaping work for tax supported institutions that might lose funding if cigarette sales crash. I'm reminded by andria that the accident probably would not have happened if there had been a kick in the mod. The vape shops around me have very little interest in hardware because they can't compete with mail order on price. They survive on pre mix e liquid. If the shops carried kicks and recommended them that might cover them on liability. It would also help if they carried only authentic top brand batteries. I discovered recently that the battery in a store bought mod I bought early on was a no name.
A lot of people hate vaping and it has nothing to do with who they work for. They hate it because of the way a lot of vapers act. I try to tell people that if the person is an ....... vaper they would have been an ....... even if they didnt vape. A lot of vapers seem to think it's ok to do it where they want and that pisses people off. I always tell people to just follow the smoking rule for the place, unless u have asked and they said it's ok. If someone asks u not to do it around them then dont. If you can't wait until I get out of a store to have a vape then don't go in the store. U had to wait when u smoked so why are so many not able to wait now.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I own a few mechs - none of them have acted up either. I don't even ohm my builds anymore because I'm SMRT smart. Do I know the end result of NOT checking my builds? Sure I do. Do I care? Sure I do. Do I know what I'm doing though? Ahhhh, that's the right question to ask... and the answer is simple - of course I do. People dabble with things because it's the "cool thing" to do - having no idea what it is they're doing. I had a wake up call once from common sense that said "Stop building below .1 Ohms with Kanthal - You're running the chance of damaging the cells inside the battery!" And eventually after awhile - I quit building below .1 Ohms with Kanthal and Nichrome. First, it wasn't about vaping in all of it's glory... it was about fattest cloud production. Then I went to a cloud comp in which I won with a properly built and aired .35 Ohm build on a mech. That was plenty of evidence for me to stop building so low. Plus my tastes changed - I used to enjoy super hot vapes - I quit that too because it was killing my batteries.

Reactions: pbanj

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
A lot of people hate vaping and it has nothing to do with who they work for. They hate it because of the way a lot of vapers act. I try to tell people that if the person is an ....... vaper they would have been an ....... even if they didnt vape. A lot of vapers seem to think it's ok to do it where they want and that pisses people off. I always tell people to just follow the smoking rule for the place, unless u have asked and they said it's ok. If someone asks u not to do it around them then dont. If you can't wait until I get out of a store to have a vape then don't go in the store. U had to wait when u smoked so why are so many not able to wait now.

You said what I was thinking about vaping in public. People need to remember - that the media and us as vapers - are setting the pace for our own demise. We don't ask questions or pay attention to the posted rules... we assume... and we know what assume means right? Making an ... out of ourselves and everyone around us. When you go to a public place and just chuck a giant cloud, those around you might not appreciate it. Be wary and cautious of those around you at all times. Situational awareness goes a long way - even outside of a war zone.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
You said what I was thinking about vaping in public. People need to remember - that the media and us as vapers - are setting the pace for our own demise. We don't ask questions or pay attention to the posted rules... we assume... and we know what assume means right? Making an ... out of ourselves and everyone around us. When you go to a public place and just chuck a giant cloud, those around you might not appreciate it. Be wary and cautious of those around you at all times. Situational awareness goes a long way - even outside of a war zone.
That sad part is that's not common sense. I'm waiting for the posts yelling about what we said. Someone always gets mad at it and all it makes me think is that person is a douche.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
That sad part is that's not common sense. I'm waiting for the posts yelling about what we said. Someone always gets mad at it and all it makes me think is that person is a douche.

I've said it in the past about accidents stemming from negligence and stupidity as well as lack of 'Common Sense logic' that "common sense is becoming a *bleeping* superpower in today's society". Because it is. Common sense is something that most people lack. It's either caused by failure to educate ones self, failure of the system to help educate, or just being plain ignorant and feeling as if you're immortal. I'm not immortal or overly cautious of things - I just THINK of the repercussions BEFORE performing said action. And I also think of what people THINK of me if / when I perform said actions. Is what I'm doing going to harm them in any way? Probably not unless I have a catastrophic failure of sorts - but what are they going to think when they see me let loose a monster cloud? Well, that's up to them of what they think of me... but I'm still very very cautious and thoughtful of those around me and I try NOT to let loose a monster cloud when I'm out in public. I'm usually pretty reserved in public unless a group comes up and asks me to chuck a giant one - I refrain from doing so otherwise. I also avoid vaping in public places where smoking is prohibited. There are a few public places that continue to allow smokers to smoke indoors (even with all the fines they incur - so tip them and tip them well - your tips help pay off their fines) and even there - I refuse to let loose the atomic bomb of clouds for the sake of not making an ... out of myself. But I'll opt for something that doesn't produce clouds vs ones that will.

The photo in the news headline shows a mech with a Kanger Subtank attached to it. The guy was probably running below a certain resistance for his battery to handle and the vape got too hot for him as well as the battery probably got too hot he burned his lips, dropped his mod, and tripped over something and injured himself. I did NOT see a missing tooth / teeth in any of the photos above. Nor do I care to. Common sense again - is a flippin' super power nowadays. People have no idea how much I pray for the fist to come down from the clouds and punch everyone of us in the face every time we do something without using common sense.

"You can have a Harvard education for all I care! Unless you use some common sense to back up that education - it don't mean jack ....!" - Thank you grandpa for all the wise teachings in the lessons of common sense and humility. I practice both on a daily basis.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
I've said it in the past about accidents stemming from negligence and stupidity as well as lack of 'Common Sense logic' that "common sense is becoming a *bleeping* superpower in today's society". Because it is. Common sense is something that most people lack. It's either caused by failure to educate ones self, failure of the system to help educate, or just being plain ignorant and feeling as if you're immortal. I'm not immortal or overly cautious of things - I just THINK of the repercussions BEFORE performing said action. And I also think of what people THINK of me if / when I perform said actions. Is what I'm doing going to harm them in any way? Probably not unless I have a catastrophic failure of sorts - but what are they going to think when they see me let loose a monster cloud? Well, that's up to them of what they think of me... but I'm still very very cautious and thoughtful of those around me and I try NOT to let loose a monster cloud when I'm out in public. I'm usually pretty reserved in public unless a group comes up and asks me to chuck a giant one - I refrain from doing so otherwise. I also avoid vaping in public places where smoking is prohibited. There are a few public places that continue to allow smokers to smoke indoors (even with all the fines they incur - so tip them and tip them well - your tips help pay off their fines) and even there - I refuse to let loose the atomic bomb of clouds for the sake of not making an ... out of myself. But I'll opt for something that doesn't produce clouds vs ones that will.

The photo in the news headline shows a mech with a Kanger Subtank attached to it. The guy was probably running below a certain resistance for his battery to handle and the vape got too hot for him as well as the battery probably got too hot he burned his lips, dropped his mod, and tripped over something and injured himself. I did NOT see a missing tooth / teeth in any of the photos above. Nor do I care to. Common sense again - is a flippin' super power nowadays. People have no idea how much I pray for the fist to come down from the clouds and punch everyone of us in the face every time we do something without using common sense.

"You can have a Harvard education for all I care! Unless you use some common sense to back up that education - it don't mean jack ....!" - Thank you grandpa for all the wise teachings in the lessons of common sense and humility. I practice both on a daily basis.
We need to take the warning labels off everything and let nature take its course

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
A lot of people hate vaping and it has nothing to do with who they work for. They hate it because of the way a lot of vapers act. I try to tell people that if the person is an ....... vaper they would have been an ....... even if they didnt vape.
In the two and a half years i have been vaping the only ones I have heard complain about
the behavior of vapers were other vapers in forums such as these. No one I know nor myself
have ever witnessed any kind of behavior one would consider as out of line. This leaves me to
believe with a great deal of confidence this type of behavior is as rare as hens teeth and
therefore not of any real concern. The next time someone opines about this almost mythical
bad behavior they better have pictures or I'm calling bogus rhetoric. I have seen more pictures
of Big Foot than rude vapers.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Reactions: danjaman

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Yes... take the warning labels off might be the best approach - let's see how many 'Darwin Awards' can be dished out in a matter of 5 minutes. Survival of the fittest and natural selection would become law at that point. I understand accidents happen and some can be unavoidable. Accidents due to improper maintenance or a misunderstanding of how things work on the other hand is avoidable. Look at automobile accidents as the largest example of 'avoidable' accidents. Most are caused by negligence. There are very few accidents that were unavoidable unless the right conditions existed that made them that way - and man can mother nature really show herself when needed.

In the case of this individual - his accident probably could have been avoided. But where is the tests that were conducted to prove that? Did they take his e-cig into a professional and have them check it? Probably not. And the rest is speculation at this point.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
In the two and a half years i have been vaping the only ones I have heard complain about
the behavior of vapers were other vapers in forums such as these. No one I know nor myself
have ever witnessed any kind of behavior one would consider as out of line. This leaves me to
believe with a great deal of confidence this type of behavior is as rare as hens teeth and
therefore not of any real concern. The next time someone opines about this almost mythical
bad behavior they better have pictures or I'm calling bogus rhetoric. I have seen more pictures
Regards
Mike
If you want I can send you a pic of one of the shops near me, it's full of them. Hell they will yell at u if u say something about them thinking it's ok to sell to kids. But something's tells me that even if you had a video of someone being a ....ty vaper you wouldn't care. I mention the shop as everytime I have seen someone vaping in a store they have had that shops logo on their mod.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Regards
Mike

And this is where we're going to disagree.

You may not have seen it first hand, but I have. I have watched a group of "vapers" removed from an establishment for vaping in a place that was clearly marked "E-Cigarettes Prohibited from this Establishment" on the door as you enter. Again - negligence as these clowns proceeded to vape in this building, were asked repeatedly to stop, and finally removed. This has been seen multiple times too. At restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, pool halls, and businesses. Is it because they don't care? I don't know. I know the majority of vapers are probably decent people - but who do you see more of? Who do you hear about the most? I only see and hear about the "bad groups" of people - and so does the non-vaping community.

It is the way it is because of a small group of people that are careless about others around them and the rules. We could beat a dead horse as long as we can - but it's not going to get up and run off no matter how hard we try. As far as vaping at vape conventions are concerned, should you be allowed to? Sure! But when someone comes up and asks you to dial it back a bit - show some respect and do as you're asked and keep it that way. I'd love to tell quite a few people to go eat one, but I don't because 1 moment of pride may result in a lifetime of pain. This is how it went down at the vape convention that got shut down early (Vape Expo New Jersey or something like that). Not to mention - once you leave the event and go back to the hotel(s) - vaping should automatically come to a halt. It's common sense logic like that that people neglect to use. You were at a vaping convention - you vape - you're at the hotel across from the convention - you stop vaping. Granted - information was improperly passed back and forth between the city / state and the convention managers and planners... but still. To make an ... out of yourself and receive fines for breaking the rules... well, that's on you.

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
If you want I can send you a pic of one of the shops near me, it's full of them. Hell they will yell at u if u say something about them thinking it's ok to sell to kids. But something's tells me that even if you had a video of someone being a ....ty vaper you wouldn't care. I mention the shop as everytime I have seen someone vaping in a store they have had that shops logo on their mod.
Its rude behavior to vape in a vaping shop? Vape meets or expo's don't count either.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread