Chicago to TAX 95 Cents Per ML!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Just the beginning, it'll get worse each year as those taxes are increased. This is precisely why the feds have spent the past three years spreading contrived defamatory propaganda aimed at demonizing our community. The general public firmly believes vaping is as bad or worse than smoking and will support any action taken against us. They'll cheer these taxes and demand more be done to protect their babies from the horrors of vaping. Truth/facts don't really matter, only people's "perception" of an issue does.

The -BIG- bang will come sometime after the FDA legally deems all vape related items as "tobacco products", states will then descend upon us state by state like a swarm of hungry locusts. Each passing year will bring higher taxes and more restrictions. Face to face transaction requirements will likely become popular (like in Arkansas), to stop internet purchases and ensure taxes are paid. This is why for the past year so many of us have been urging others to plan ahead and stockpile certain supplies. It's difficult for them to tax items already in your possession. Those $45 liters of liquid nic stored in my freezer may come in handy someday so that I'll have no use or need for those costing 800 - $1000.

Too many people think that government officials/politicians simply don't realize how effective vaping is for smoking cessation and major harm reduction, that it's all just a big misunderstanding. THEY KNOW. So does big Pharma and BT who give those same officials tens of millions of dollars each year in legal bribes. Unlike broadcast TV and feel good movies, in real life the good guys don't always win, but the smart ones who plan ahead usually come out unscathed.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There are lots of people who haven't switched yet. Many of them would start the process by walking into a vape shop and asking for help. If there is no vape shop may be it never happens. Or a new vaper who runs out of e liquid, doesn't have time to drive 20 miles, buys a pack of cigs iinstead and never makes that drive across town. A greedy unscroupulous tax collector has to take care of business. Each smoker pays a LOT of taxes. They have to be protected from distractions. When I smoked I spent $3,000 a year on a carton a week. Most of that ended up as taxes. Now I mix at home. Cost of materials for a year, $40-50. A corrupt city can't just stand by and do nothing when we are not paying money that is rightfully theirs, RIGHT!?

I think if we Didn't Live in the Internet Infused world we do that I could see this More.

Not saying that there Aren't some who would fall into what you Described. But I think the Number would be Small as compared to the Total amount of New Vapers.

I just think this Entire 95 Cent per ml is an Abomination.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Just the beginning, it'll get worse each year as those taxes are increased. This is precisely why the feds have spent the past three years spreading contrived defamatory propaganda aimed at demonizing our community. The general public firmly believes vaping is as bad or worse than smoking and will support any action taken against us. They'll cheer these taxes and demand more be done to protect their babies from the horrors of vaping. Truth/facts don't really matter, only people's "perception" of an issue does.

The -BIG- bang will come sometime after the FDA legally deems all vape related items as "tobacco products", states will then descend upon us state by state like a swarm of hungry locusts. Each passing year will bring higher taxes and more restrictions. Face to face transaction requirements will likely become popular (like in Arkansas), to stop internet purchases and ensure taxes are paid. This is why for the past year so many of us have been urging others to plan ahead and stockpile certain supplies. It's difficult for them to tax items already in your possession. Those $45 liters of liquid nic stored in my freezer may come in handy someday so that I'll have no use or need for those costing 800 - $1000.

Too many people think that government officials/politicians simply don't realize how effective vaping is for smoking cessation and major harm reduction, that it's all just a big misunderstanding. THEY KNOW. So does big Pharma and BT who give those same officials tens of millions of dollars each year in legal bribes. Unlike broadcast TV and feel good movies, in real life the good guys don't always win, but the smart ones who plan ahead usually come out unscathed.

you got it figured out :cool:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Are there any vape shops in Oak Park near one of the CTA el stops? If not, that might be a pretty good location to start one.

edit: Looks like Cignot is way ahead of me - 101 N Marion St

It's actually not a bad shop. The staff is friendly and they have a good supply of hardware. Like most shops, their juice is pricey - not bad compared to others but still up there.

I don't think Chicago really understands the vape market much (and it could be I don't either) because it seems to me, most people beyond beginners buy their juice online. I don't know of any popular vendors who are located in Chicago so if this is a money grab, there isn't much to grab.

America and other countries need to stop being stupid about their lost tax income. With so many purchases being made online, the answer isn't a local sin tax but a national online purchase tax of say 5%. Yeah people will ..... about it but tossing in a nickel isn't a big impact to the consumer and it would have a big impact on our budget deficits.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
May be Chicago just doesn't want vape shops. Where I live vape shops are hangouts. That's never popular with the neighbors. The tax is so ridiculous they most know all they are doing is closing the shops so they won't collect any money. Chicago vapers will rely on mail order or drive to the suburbs. The people who run Chicago know that. That's what they prefer .

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Chicago to tax at 95 cents per ml, and the county where Chicago resides to add an additional tax of 20 cents per ml. Do they think any vape shops will remain open? Who will pay that price?

CASAA: Illinois
I don't think this is correct. The CASAA page is including the Cook County tax in their $.95 figure. But I don't think the Chicago tax is to be $.75, but $.25 per ml. First it was gonna be more, but they lowered that.

It's getting confusing...I'll have to read some more about it.

Could someone please move this thread to the Legislative News forum? I would've missed seeing this had not someone posted a link to it in another forum.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I don't think this is correct. The CASAA page is including the Cook County tax in their $.95 figure. But I don't think the Chicago tax is to be $.75, but $.25 per ml. First it was gonna be more, but they lowered that.

It's getting confusing...I'll have to read some more about it.

Could someone please move this thread to the Legislative News forum? I would've missed seeing this had not someone posted a link to it in another forum.
OK, I think they then ammended the $.25/ml to $.55/ml. Added to the Cook County's $.25/ml would come to $.80/ml. Still outrageous! Filthy corruption, IMO.

EDIT: oops...Cook County 20 cents plus Chicago 55 cents = 75 cents.

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
It's not just vapors.

Rahm, the I can't tell the truth to save my life promised no new property taxes when he ran for re-election, he just raised property taxes. The politicians in Crook County are equal opportunity, they screw everyone everywhere with equal pleasure.

Look at the parking meters and how screwed up that turned out

But hey we will get that wonderful Star Wars museum built with tax dollars and later if you visit the venue taxed admission.

There is a reason so many Illinois politicians end up in prison. When you enter the city the welcome sign should say....

View attachment 509931
Except Indiana has very oppresive vaping liquid laws.

Edit: I think I replied to the wrong message. Anyway, driving to Indiana won't help.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I guess what I Don't get is what does it Accomplish?

Shutting down B&M's in your city Doesn't stop people from Using/Buying e-Liquids. So if you Can't Stop it (if you want to), why get a piece of the Pie thru a "Reasonable" Tax?

Put a 2 Cent Tax on a ml of e-Liquid and it wouldn't drive Everyone Away. 95 Cents per ml? Who's gonna pay that?

And how far away is the Next "Non-Tax" city? 15 Minutes away?
These taxes could be of assistance in weaning people off of vaping and transitioning them back to smoking, and paying the huge combined city, county, state and federal cigarette taxes. Then if they can somehow trick all the city's non-smokers into taking up smoking, they might be able to put a dent in their massive unpaid obligations, and restore a bit of their crashed credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread