Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Perhaps it should do what it's been set to do through the settings and loaded TCR and nothing more. And you may be right, there are probably thousands of users out there right now vaping on SS in Power mode thinking they're in Temp limiting mode and not knowing or caring.

You need to think it through a bit more. What it's set to do is apply power until resistance rises to the calculated expected value, with power limited only to the set wattage. When wire resistance doesn't actually rise, that's exactly what it does and what you are complaining about.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
I'm vaping UD 316L SS as I type this in TC on a DNA200 (VT200) mod. It's staying in TC, but then again I'm not trying everything I can think of to get it to jump out of TC. My settings are: Dual Coil, 2mm, .19ohms, 100watt preheat, 35 watts, 420F.

Cheers,
Steve

dr3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
Thanks for jumping in to this. I'll do it when I get home this week (traveling for the holiday). I suspect the issue was proper TCR for the actual wire. If the TCR set in the device is higher than the actual TCR of the wire, the device will want to see more resistance increase than will actually occur. I have the equipment available to measure actual wire temp so we can likely figure out where it got funky. The 26AWG Ti I have on hand is the Unkamen which has generally been very well behaved. I think we'll figure it out.

The twist was with Unkamen - twisted till it broke free. I do wonder if the stresses I introduced by twisting to wire failure could have altered the expected TCR response. Somewhere on my to do list is to twist to a less stressed and measurable point where wire wizard will give a predicted performance result. And regarding the TCR setting ... I'm using the wire wizard downloadable CSV chart for Ti01.

I'm game. If the calculated wire temp doesn't rise 150F above cold baseline temp in a full second of applied power, what should the mod do? If it shuts down, you'd criticize it for doing that. What it does do is figure it can't be an actual TC wire type. It has to do something so what should it do?

For fun I will tell you what I would like it to do. I would like it to simply report the calculated wire temperature. By quietly switching modes and providing me with nothing more than the ---F as a calculated temperature - I had a pretty short window where I could gather any remotely diagnostic information. The Yihi board did as I would have expected. With the same build, the Yihi board simply reports a temperature below the target, and it never reports that the wire has reached the target temperature even though it does continue applying the "joules" the mod is directed to deliver.

I do understand that I selectively quoted this post. And, in so doing, I stole the opportunity to tell y'all how it would work in the "World According to Dr3d." But ... I sit here typing on my laptop and inhaling Evolv DNA200 generated vapor. Once I learned of the 150F/1s helper, I immediately built around my problem so that I can enjoy the mod. It has been more than a few days since I've called on the Yihi board to provide my vapor production. I like the board. I will accept that I ain't bright enough to program my own or rich enough to direct development. At some point I may find myself with enough time to string a few legible requests together and try to build consensus regarding my viewpoint. I scrapped the last mod that tried to outsmart me and changed modes (joyetech), but my DNA didn't try to kill me when it took the opportunity to engage my thinker.

@dr3d was not talking about an Evolv board.

That is why it was, " Very interesting..."

Hopefully this post has been more clearly delivered. I will agree that the compare/contrast I was attempting in that post rates a fail. What I had hoped to do was compare the unexpected DNA200 result with the Yihi result. Clearly, it was not a gifted delivery. Good news is: I wish more of the drivel I spew qualified as "interesting."

Reactions: Mad Scientist

RtotheK

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
california
Off topic but I've been following this thread for a long while now and finally ordered my first DNA200 on Black Friday. I got the Reuleaux for 30% off. I'm so excited to finally get one in my hands, I already started messing with escribe and made a preset for sweet spot vapors ti, which I've never used before. Would anyone know how many wraps of TI wire I should do for a nice regular spaced coil and what size coil? Thanks all and glad I can join the family finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
As I've stated previously the posts have been on the Evolv forum for quite some time, have been overlooked and unanswered. If they had wanted to respond there has been ample time to do so. Forcing the questions at this point may get answers just not necessarily correct and honest ones. Regardless you are aware the Mad Scientist posted the questions there so the need for redundant questions or your post... HMMMMM

Interesting comments.

Now you imply that Evolv folks like Brandon, James, John, and others will not give correct or honest answers. It is starting to become very clear to me now what your motive and intent is by flaming DNA's in every DNA thread and also a topic frequently visited in your beloved thread which shall not be named as this is a DNA thread here. I really think a large part of your hate for the DNA is because you try to compare it's innovative technology to a different technology which you adore. If one likes a certain technology and it gives you what you want then that is all that matters even though it doesn't function the same as a DNA. Why not spend your time on the technology you love? If you do not like the DNA why not just move on? If you want to like the DNA then why not be a part of the solution by addressing what you feel are bugs directly with those who can address them (Evolv)? You already spend time reading there.

I spend a bit of time researching new technology and should something become available that tops the DNA200 you can bet I'll have one. I'm trying to gather info on one I want to research further now but not much info available yet. It would be so nice if all new technology could come with a dedicated manufacturers forum, specific video tutorials, an opportunity to get responses from those engineers, software guys, and business owners, but at the moment Evolv is the only one that offers such customer service that I'm aware of. I hope others companies will follow as the community would benefit I think.

Last edited:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Off topic but I've been following this thread for a long while now and finally ordered my first DNA200 on Black Friday. I got the Reuleaux for 30% off. I'm so excited to finally get one in my hands, I already started messing with escribe and made a preset for sweet spot vapors ti, which I've never used before. Would anyone know how many wraps of TI wire I should do for a nice regular spaced coil and what size coil? Thanks all and glad I can join the family finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what attie you are building for. For my STM's use the half wrap of 6.5. 24g Ti, 3mm ID. You get 0.20 ohms. AT 25 watts a heat coefficient of approx 179.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
let me try and re-post this question to see if i can get a educated response. if i take two 1 amp charging boards (micro usb charging boards, the kind that charge our 18650's in our mods) and connect them in parallel on the output sides (taking the pos and neg leads from each board's output, and tying them together in parallel) will that in essence give me a two amp charger(1+1=2)? will that even work? im trying to do something for my dna 200's. thanks guys.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
let me try and re-post this question to see if i can get a educated response. if i take two 1 amp charging boards (micro usb charging boards, the kind that charge our 18650's in our mods) and connect them in parallel on the output sides (taking the pos and neg leads from each board's output, and tying them together in parallel) will that in essence give me a two amp charger(1+1=2)? will that even work? im trying to do something for my dna 200's. thanks guys.
that will not work -- connecting two switch mode power supply outputs (which is basically what the charger is) leads to bad results.
if you would want a 2 amp charger it would need to replace the one that is on board the dna200 and you would want to be sure you don't try to use the mod while the charger is plugged in (on the dna200 it stops the charger when you press the fire button but you wouldn't have that feature with an external charger unless you can find a point to solder a charge controller line)

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
that will not work -- connecting two switch mode power supply outputs (which is basically what the charger is) leads to bad results.
if you would want a 2 amp charger it would need to replace the one that is on board the dna200 and you would want to be sure you don't try to use the mod while the charger is plugged in (on the dna200 it stops the charger when you press the fire button but you wouldn't have that feature with an external charger unless you can find a point to solder a charge controller line)
Ok thanks, I'm not trying to get my DNA 200's to have two amp charging. My mistake for rushing my post. It's for my Windows tablet. The battery is to small and inadequate to run any of the analyzers in escribe. I am now able to run them since I soldered two leads to the tablets Lipo and connecting them to one of my efest xsmart battery chargers, giving me the option to charge the tablets battery while connected to escribe. Basically giving me an extra USB port to charge. It's been working great.
IMG_20151129_172141-1.jpg

Reactions: Rockwell222

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Shouldn't one be enough to charge that tablet?
One amp barely keeps up. You figure with a DNA 200 connected to the tablet, right there, .5 amps from my homemade 1 amp charger connected to the tablets Lipo is going to charge the mod, which leaves .5 amps leftover for the tablet(screen, cpu, Wi-Fi, etc). The tablets internal charger is 2 amps and the Lipo is a 4000 mah 3.7 volt. Without my rigged up external charger, when I plug in my DNA 200 devices, you can watch the battery go from 100% to 50% in less 20 min. Hence my question about joining two one amp chargers to make two amps. But so far the one amp charger I got rigged up, it has gotten me through 2 batt analyzers and 2 case analyzers. Yippy:)

HCigar VT200= 11.275 actual WH'S

Hammond 1590A, Fullymax 900 mah Lipo=10.011 actual WH'S.

EDIT....I do know you set USB current limit to zero for battery analyzer.

Reactions: Tpat591

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
One amp barely keeps up. You figure with a DNA 200 connected to the tablet, right there, .5 amps from my homemade 1 amp charger connected to the tablets Lipo is going to charge the mod, which leaves .5 amps leftover for the tablet(screen, cpu, Wi-Fi, etc). The tablets internal charger is 2 amps and the Lipo is a 4000 mah 3.7 volt. Without my rigged up external charger, when I plug in my DNA 200 devices, you can watch the battery go from 100% to 50% in less 20 min. Hence my question about joining two one amp chargers to make two amps. But so far the one amp charger I got rigged up, it has gotten me through 2 batt analyzers and 2 case analyzers. Yippy:)

So there is no possibility of using a simple usb splitter outside the tablet to allow you to hook both the charger and the usb to the mod at the same time http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-4-Port-USB-2-0-Ultra-Mini/dp/B003M0NURK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448853380&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+hub or if you want one without overcurrent protection there is this http://www.amazon.com/Friday-4-Outp...=UTF8&qid=1448853619&sr=8-40&keywords=usb+hub.

There are micro usb hubs as well. http://www.amazon.com/Hittime-Adapt...&qid=1448854303&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+usb+hub (I see this will not charge tablet) This will http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Adapt...1448855043&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+usb+splitter

I'm not looking at your motherboard in the tablet but I assume there is no unused solder pads on the usb bus that will allow you to solder in a standard usb port or you would have tried that already

Last edited:
Reactions: AtmizrOpin

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj

How about this if it is standard usb http://www.amazon.com/Male-Female-P...&qid=1448855260&sr=8-11&keywords=usb+splitter Say it allow charging through it to device.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
ok, lets say i get the hub that splits into 4 usb's. the question becomes, if i split the single micro usb port on this tablet, can i send voltage (a charging voltage, current) back through the tablets usb port? all the while having a dna 200 or any device that requires the usb 5 volts charge, operate. simplified, can a single micro usb port send and receive voltage? (voltage out for a device and voltage in to charge the tablet, all at the same time.) as for soldering on a second micro or full size usb on the mother board i guess it would be possible. theres no extra room on the board for a second so i would have to piggy back it off of the original. but if i do that, i would in effect bypass escribe's commands for both analyzers. im sure you know when running batt analyzer you have to turn the charging current to zero in device monitor so the mods battery doesn't charge in between firings. and case analyzer intermittently turns the charge on and off and also sets specific current limits at certain points in the test. believe me, i've racked my brain or this and i think ive got a decent solution. just gonna hot glue one of the micro usb charging boards(5, 1 amp boards for $3 from ebay #TP4056) to the bottom of this tablet or if im feeling frisky, find room inside the tablet casing, install it internally and make it look nice.

edit.....to sum it up, the charge needs to come from the tablet, through escribe, when running any of the two analyzers. can't come from usb hub.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread