Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Why not just grab a regulated mod?

The fully Mechanical devices you are looking at were not meant to be carried in a pants pocket.

The number one reason for accidents with vape gear is vapers using a device in ways it was not intended to be used.

I have one, a Snow Wolf, and its held up nicely since this pastJuly..but I do eventually expect it to fail and would like something to have on hand to replace with where I don't need to worry about electronics, or carry multiple sets of batteries. I mostly use a tube mod around the house and the wolf when I'm out and about for a while. That aside, I also find mechanicals to be aesthetically pleasing and a joy to use. I just never had a mech box (or MOSFET). Unregulated box before.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
you said 'beater' in your original post also; could you translate that please.
do you mean like that it's meant to be hard and rugged, and be able to take a beating?
No, more along the lines of something that I will use daily when I'm out and about, don't mind if its dinged up, and is reliable and not prone to accidents(discounting user error of course.) I'd also like to be able to safely handle some of the lower resistance builds I've been trying (.16-.2 ohm) on a mech that I would never use on a single cell tube.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have one, a Snow Wolf, and its held up nicely since this pastJuly..but I do eventually expect it to fail and would like something to have on hand to replace with where I don't need to worry about electronics, or carry multiple sets of batteries. I mostly use a tube mod around the house and the wolf when I'm out and about for a while. That aside, I also find mechanicals to be aesthetically pleasing and a joy to use. I just never had a mech box (or MOSFET). Unregulated box before.

I love mechanicals and really only use them.

I do carry a cherry bomber with me at work, but I know better than to shove it in my pocket.

It lives in my tool bag until needed.

Mechs are awesome but like any tool they require you to use them accordingly.

I wouldn't shove a carpet knife or a bottle of paint stripper in my pocket either. :)

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014

I do carry a cherry bomber with me at work, but I know better than to shove it in my pocket.

I wouldn't shove a carpet knife or a bottle of paint stripper in my pocket either. :)
Well to be fair, most of the time the mod is either in my hand, on the passager seat next to me, the change compartment in my console (that habit would need to stop), or on my desk at work. At home my stingray is usually in a built in cup holder in my chair. The only time my mods see the interior of my pocket is when it's cold out, or I'm walking with the wife and not mainlining my juice. Occasionally in jacket pockets as well. Just can't bring myself to pick up a dedicated mod holder/belt pouch for a mod...I look ridiculous enough..no need to add to it.

Reactions: RuDawg7890

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Well to be fair, most of the time the mod is either in my hand, on the passager seat next to me, the change compartment in my console (that habit would need to stop), or on my desk at work. At home my stingray is usually in a built in cup holder in my chair. The only time my mods see the interior of my pocket is when it's cold out, or I'm walking with the wife and not mainlining my juice. Occasionally in jacket pockets as well. Just can't bring myself to pick up a dedicated mod holder/belt pouch for a mod...I look ridiculous enough..no need to add to it.
Hehe
If that's the case, you'll be fine with a box mech. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and dont be careless.

On a side note:
I sometimes use a Nite-Ize flashlight holder to carry a tube mod while actually working.
image.jpg

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hehe
If that's the case, you'll be fine with a box mech. Just pay attention to what you are doing, and dont be careless.

On a side note:
I sometimes use a Nite-Ize flashlight holder to carry a tube mod while actually working.
View attachment 509644
Which brings us back to the original question...which one :p. Still leaning towards the Dos Equis or castigador..size matters to me. Nice SMPL..that a genni style Atty? Never actually tried that style of tank..they were losing popularity just as I was getting into rebuilding.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

It lives in your tool bag until needed? You mean in a special compartment right? Not casually/carelessly tossed into your tool bag along with a bunch of metal tools.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
It lives in your tool bag until needed? You mean in a special compartment right? Not casually/carelessly tossed into your tool bag along with a bunch of metal tools.

In a pocket inside the bag.
Locked. Atty removed.

I don't even carelessly toss my wrenches in a bag much less a box mod.
Dont skip the part where I reiterate paying attention.

I'm extremely meticulous with my tools, vape gear or otherwise.

Being careless with any tool will eventually get you hurt.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Which brings us back to the original question...which one :p. Still leaning towards the Dos Equis or castigador..size matters to me. Nice SMPL..that a genni style Atty? Never actually tried that style of tank..they were losing popularity just as I was getting into rebuilding.

Kraken genesis atty.

The reason they lost popularity is they actually require you to learn about them to get them to work properly.

Once you pass the learning curve, they destroy any tank out there.
Incredible flavor and clouds if you want them.
No other tank system comes close, however they are not for the impatient plug-and-play crowd.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kraken genesis atty.

The reason they lost popularity is they actually require you to learn about them to get them to work properly.

Once you pass the learning curve, they destroy any tank out there.
Incredible flavor and clouds if you want them.
No other tank system comes close, however they are not for the impatient plug-and-play crowd.

Not an issue here. I tried the plug and play tanks and didn't care for them. A well built dual coil on a billow 2 or cthulhu kills the premmies from what I've seen. I just never tried the gennie style. I'll have to grab one one of these days. Give me something new to tinker with. Mesh wicks still the way to go with really thick gauge single coils? Do they handle the max VG juices nicely?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Not an issue here. I tried the plug and play tanks and didn't care for them. A well built dual coil on a billow 2 or cthulhu kills the premmies from what I've seen. I just never tried the gennie style. I'll have to grab one one of these days. Give me something new to tinker with. Mesh wicks still the way to go with really thick gauge single coils? Do they handle the max VG juices nicely?

Genesis attys were designed for mesh, but personally I don't use wire thicker than 26.
I hate waiting for all that metal to heat up.
There really isn't a need, IMHO.

Genies are extremely efficient atomizers.
They laugh at 100% VG juices.
Not a problem. It's all about the mesh wick.

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
Dos Equis or [C]astigador...
Castigador. The Dos Equis relies on an adhesive backed plastic strip across the top of the positive bridge. Bad. The Castigator uses a Delrin backed plate. Good. I also prefer the negative firing plate of the Castigator over that of the Dos Equis.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Castigador. The Dos Equis relies on an adhesive backed plastic strip across the top of the positive bridge. Bad. The Castigator uses a Delrin backed plate. Good. I also prefer the negative firing plate of the Castigator over that of the Dos Equis.
Alright then, let the search for a good clone begin.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Ahh, so that's why jd tech recommends not going under 0.5ohms with it(although many have done it fine, though)... Thanks!

The castigador looks most intriguing also to me personally, but the only thing i'm not so happy about is that i've read reviews about both the clones and original needs adjustments made to the firing button pretty often to adjust it's throw back!

Last edited:

frjaldomr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2014
Far West Texas, US
With three VTC5's, that's about once every three days. It is a clone, from eBay.
You get three days out of one batt change? What build are you using?
I'm using a Brigada clone with an Onslaught clone triple .17, two 25Rs, and I have to change batts three times a day.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
That Nikita seems interesting, let me know how it does when you get it, and as I mentioned above, I'm with you on the size of the raptor. Just to bulky for my needs.
[...]
I have played with it for some time and I really like it, but since this is my very first parallel box(unregulated), infact I only own a smpl and a nikita as mechs, and two regulated I don't use anymore a 50w and 100w, then take my opinion with a grain of salt! (I'd love to get more single cell mechs also, but cannot find anything that for me rivals the smpl in design and simlicity, so it's hard. For one thing I prefer hybrid-style, but practically every hybrid-style besides the smpl has screwed in hybrid-style topcap, and why do I want another threaded piece! Or else there's some other extra layer/piece(s) added... I know, i'm just strange like that! :) I think i'm just gonna get a bunch of smpl's then, in SS, brass and copper + copper pin version)

Anyway, I love the nikita's size and shape/appearance/design, it's a little like the smpl of parallel boxes, although it has a small line on the very bottom that says nikita, but in small font and not intrusive. I would rather be without it, but it's ok, especially compared to whatnot others these days with crazy skulls and other stupid logos and catch-phrases and gun/magazine designs! :)

Anyway, besides it's looks, then it works very good, but that's obvious and the same with any well-designed parallel-box and the output for the very most part is decided upon your build and batteries, with how much sag they do at the resistance-level and the VD isn't really that relevant imho as it's so small I believe in all of the well-designed mods, in contrary to the battery-sag!

Anyway2(sorry, rambling :) ), it's very cheap, 20 bucks!, and is very easy to disassemble to clean/adjust or fix. The only thing with it i'm not a fan off, is that it's stil the old type design with the negative terminals needing a screwdriver when changing cells, which is pretty odd when the rest of the design is so nice and well thought-out, innovative and extremely simple, but oh well, not that important either, but still...

I'm running a 0.18 build on it with dual Samsung 25R5's and it's very nice, with dual 3mm 22 gauge 5/6 KA1 macros...

Keep in mind though, if you consider getting it, that it needs some little tinkering... The fire-button of the switch wasn't flush with the body, like the original i've seen on youtube, but sticks out like also the fasttech pics where I got it. It's an easy fix though, where you just turn the part of the switch that completes the circuit a couple of turnes clockwise, and then it's flush, but the throw with the delrin in place where still very bad, so I adjusted a little by bending the plate of the positive plate and then it was fine. Also the delrin had a wrong magnet on it which was opposing to the magnet in the case, but the delrin piece is still held down nicely when screwing in the negative terminals.

Then I just needed to screw the 510 pin a little out to make contact wih my velocity and everything was fine from then on! Oh, the positive plate, negative terminals and firing pin is all brass, whereas the original I believe is silver plated copper(pos/neg contacts), but it still works great though and has very good reviews on fasttech, e.g. one said it "hit harder than his raptor t6 and abbadon", allthough i'm not really a fan of all this "what hit's harder", but nonetheless...

Sorry for blabbing on so much! :)

Last edited:

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks I've been eyeing that one, along with the Dimitri and a few others. Just cant make a decision and I desperately want a parallel box. The castigador clones seem to have some issues. The osmium looks nice, narrow, but has the screw negative plates which im meh about. The abaddon looks ok..single plate negative side with thumb nail adjustments. I also kinda like the Nookie V2, just wish the 510 connector was off set to the side rather then centered.

Last edited:

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
After much hemming and hawing, and some extensive web searches, it came down to a Dragon Box mod clone vrs a Dimitri Box mod clone (ivogo). I found a black midnight one by Ivogo for a about 20 bucks more then I wanted to pay, but my birthday just past, so what the hell. The Ivogo clones are surprisingly hard to track down now, most are sold out and Fast tech has them discontinued. I went with the Dimitri over the Dragon, because the Dimitri style seems to be well respected ( and the Ivogo clone specifically has gotten good reviews consistently (though with some known issues regarding the switch and locking mechanism). So between that, and a few hundred MLs of juice I've got coming in this week or next...that should resolve my "itch" for a little bit...Though I could use a few new large bore post hole atty's.

Though I have to be honest, I think I'm going to regret not buying the XXIX I was also eyeing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread