solder on a dna 40 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleswind2

Nov 11, 2015
I have a dna 40 chip I had to unsolder both the pos and neg battery wires along with the USB wires which are right next to each other. I noticed solder connected between the + holes of the battery and usb wires as well as the - wires. I've tried everything I could think of to separate the solder but nothing seems to work. How can I c lean off all the old solder leaving the space required between the soldering points?

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
I have a dna 40 chip I had to unsolder both the pos and neg battery wires along with the USB wires which are right next to each other. I noticed solder connected between the + holes of the battery and usb wires as well as the - wires. I've tried everything I could think of to separate the solder but nothing seems to work. How can I c lean off all the old solder leaving the space required between the soldering points?
Pics please

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
I'm not familiar with the DNA40 wiring, but to clean up solder you need solder wick, which is pretty much just a flat braid of fine copper wire. Just use a bunch of flux on the wick, put it over the spot, apply heat and just about all of the excess solder will wick right up into it. Be very careful not to drag the braid across the piece but to dab it, dragging it can shift or outright lift the pads you're trying to clean. Then just wipe a little cleaner over the flux gunk (MG Chemicals 4140 pen works well enough) give it a little scrub with something like a toothbrush and wipe off with a paper towel and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread