ΣΟΦΙΑ v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
This will be my first rebuildable. I have been using cartomizers in tanks for ever and it is time to take the next step.

What all am I going to need with the Sophia V2. Wire of course, I need to decide which wire to start with. I will need Rayon. I saw in a video a madrel was used, do I need to get one of those? I have a lot to learn about rebuildables.

Reactions: Firestorm

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Just remember that it is important for the driptip to sit snugly in the upper body, because you control the liquid flow by moving it.

Thanks, the tip I am using fits really tight in the cartomizers I have been using. :) If it fails I will have to order the longer 50mm tube after the fact. :)

Or I could try thicker o-rings.

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
Thanks, the tip I am using fits really tight in the cartomizers I have been using. :) If it fails I will have to order the longer 50mm tube after the fact. :)

Or I could try thicker o-rings.

Yes, one of these will do I am sure. I never use anything else than Leo's STR driptips though - the best I ever had. Just saying :)

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Yes, one of these will do I am sure. I never use anything else than Leo's STR driptips though - the best I ever had. Just saying :)

I will be using the Sophia V2 on a Provari with a tank styled after the Provari and a matching drip-tip by Atmistique with the dimples cut out to match. It goes together so well I don't want to break up the set.

GEMINI-2.jpg

I wanted to finally get into something rebuildable but didn't want to give up my old set-up either. The Sophia V2 sounds like the way to go to do this. :)

If this works out I will want to get two more so that all my Provari are set up the same way.

Last edited:

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
I hope it works!

You don't necessarily need a mandrel, a toothpick does the job too or a - how d'you call it, a drill? with the diameter you choose too. But a mandrel helps, Qorax shows in his video why/how it is helpful when making the coil for the Sophia. You can use any wire you like (Kanthal oder Ni-Chr if you want to use your Provaris), any diameter you prefer - I would not go under 0,20 mm. I use Kanthal A1 0,22 or 0,25 mm and cotton, but it is only me ;) - others take thicker wire or other wires for Temperature Control.

Sophia is wonderful with the Provari, this is one of my PV Mini setups

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I hope it works!

You don't necessarily need a mandrel, a toothpick does the job too or a - how d'you call it, a drill? with the diameter you choose too. But a mandrel helps, Qorax shows in his video why/how it is helpful when making the coil for the Sophia. You can use any wire you like (Kanthal oder Ni-Chr if you want to use your Provaris), any diameter you prefer - I would not go under 0,20 mm. I use Kanthal A1 0,22 or 0,25 mm and cotton, but it is only me ;) - others take thicker wire or other wires for Temperature Control.

Sophia is wonderful with the Provari, this is one of my PV Mini setups

Thanks, since this is going to be my first try at using a rta it will take a bit to find out what I like. I will probably start with someones posted favorite set up then experiment from there. Between 0,22 and 0,25 which do you use the most often?

nebulis

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
Vienna, Europe
Thanks, since this is going to be my first try at using a RTA it will take a bit to find out what I like. I will probably start with someones posted favorite set up then experiment from there. Between 0,22 and 0,25 which do you use the most often?

The ready-made nores-res-wires I used for the Sophia V1 were about 0,20 mm, it was not possible to go higher because of the ceramic cup. So with the Sophia V2, I at first tried 0,25, then 0,22. Noticed no big difference and saw no necessity to try 0,30 (but again - it is only me). So I stick to 0,22 mm now. Also, I tried coil diameter 2,5 then 2 and 1,5 mm. But 3 mm is also possible. Sorry for all this "mm", but I am not accustomed to AWG.

To sum it up:
The last-but-one was Kanthal A1, 0,22 mm, 2 mm coil diameter and about 6 windings for about 2 Ohm resistance.
The last one same wire but 1,5 mm diameter with 9 windings for about 2 Ohm resistance.

I like to use this very simple coil calculator, it has an English version and it may help you when experimenting. There are also more complex ones ...

PS
Come to think of it, I made some (not very professional :p ) pics for the German forum yesterday, they may help you to visualize what I am talking about

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
The ready-made nores-res-wires I used for the Sophia V1 were about 0,20 mm, it was not possible to go higher because of the ceramic cup. So with the Sophia V2, I at first tried 0,25, then 0,22. Noticed no big difference and saw no necessity to try 0,30 (but again - it is only me). So I stick to 0,22 mm now. Also, I tried coil diameter 2,5 then 2 and 1,5 mm. But 3 mm is also possible. Sorry for all this "mm", but I am not accustomed to AWG.

To sum it up:
The last-but-one was Kanthal A1, 0,22 mm, 2 mm coil diameter and about 6 windings for about 2 Ohm resistance.
The last one same wire but 1,5 mm diameter with 9 windings for about 2 Ohm resistance.

I like to use this very simple coil calculator, it has an English version and it may help you when experimenting. There are also more complex ones ...

PS
Come to think of it, I made some (not very professional :p ) pics for the German forum yesterday, they may help you to visualize what I am talking about

Thanks,

I might try one set up that works and use it for awhile then start experimenting a bit later. I have been using Ikenvaps platnium punched cartomizers for a long time now. I wonder if I should try and mimic the Ohm's off of it for my first try or just copy what you used last. The more I thought about it they more I think I should get used to the process then start experimenting.

Billie-cig

Unregistered - Closed
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Athens,Greece
www.byLeo.eu
Thanks,

I might try one set up that works and use it for awhile then start experimenting a bit later. I have been using Ikenvaps platnium punched cartomizers for a long time now. I wonder if I should try and mimic the Ohm's off of it for my first try or just copy what you used last. The more I thought about it they more I think I should get used to the process then start experimenting.

The process of building the coil is the same whatever type of wire you use. So if some specific type intrigues you more, you should start from there. The first times are always experimental, but you will learn with the wire that you like more. Just my opinion though :)

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
The process of building the coil is the same whatever type of wire you use. So if some specific type intrigues you more, you should start from there. The first times are always experimental, but you will learn with the wire that you like more. Just my opinion though :)

What tools and supplies will I need to get started? Will the ohm meter built into a Provari be sufficient? I saw in the video a tool being used to make the coils, is that the best tool for the job?

Reactions: Krisma

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
What tools and supplies will I need to get started? Will the ohm meter built into a Provari be sufficient? I saw in the video a tool being used to make the coils, is that the best tool for the job?

I think that the Sophia v2 is an excellent RBA and next step for a cartomizer user. There are lots of ways to rebuild it with simple resistance wire or other types for TC (which I haven't done). I have settled on a 1.25ohm 1/16in diameter spaced coil of 28awg Kanthal with KGD. I like to use the coil jig and I have different rods of different diameters that I'll use to build different atomizers (I use an 18ga syringe needle for coils in ceramic cups used by the Sophia v1). To build I use the coil jig, wire, nail clippers or wire cutters, and screwdrivers. A dedicated ohmmeter or an APV like your Provari are good for measuring and testing your builds. Steam Engine Coil Wrapping is an awesome resource. For wicks I use KGD, paper towels, micro scissors, and clean fingers. YouTube is a great place to watch different people build different devices as is this forum.

I like using the Sophia short body in 35mm tall 22mm tanks. You need a tight fitting drip tip if it will be used solely to turn the juice control. I have a favorite short and tight fitting drip tip that I used to use but I recently got and really enjoy using the STR 10 SS drip tips because they are tight and match the polished Sophia finish. I clean off and leave the STR drip tip on when I refill.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Overall I tend to prefer a direct if moderately restricted LH style vape but I have to say I am really enjoying M2L'ing on the V2. It is a very 'civilised', not to mention flavoursome with great vapour production. Very highly recommended for anyone not yet convinced!! I was a little hesistant to return to carto devices but this has turned out to be among my most used atties at the moment. Remarkable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread