Hello and a Dire Request for Help (Something is Killing my Batteries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symbiosis

Jan 21, 2010
WA
Hello all,

I'm sad to see that this forum isn't anywhere near as lively as it used to be. I've never been a contributing member (that I can remember, anyway), but I used to read on here all the time. Sorry if this post is too long, but I wanted to share my story at the same time I hopefully get some answers/advice/help. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies!

I've been a loyal Vapor4Life customer for nearly 6 years now. Yup, you read that right. With the exception of some juices ordered from other sites many years ago (which were all way more expensive), every bit of vaping gear and liquid I've ever used has come from V4L. I went from a pack and a half a day smoker to almost none within a day of receiving my first order. Now I've been completely smoke-free for a very long time (cigarettes make me physically ill and I don't know how I used to smoke them). I guess I'm old school when it comes to vaping and now use a simple Vapor Titan/CoolCart combo. I don't even understand 90% of the lingo on these forums anymore. The vaping world got way too complicated with too many companies coming/going and new products being introduced on a seemingly daily basis. No offense intended to anyone who's into all of this, but I simply don't have the time or energy to keep up. I found something that worked for me and stuck with it.

Introduction and pleasantries aside, I have a very serious problem going on:

A few days ago, one of my (admittedly pretty old) Vapor Titan batteries began showing signs of dying. It charged fully, but within an hour or so it started putting out less vapor and the LED got dimmer. It kept hitting, sort of, but produced less and less vapor to the point of nothing. It never actually died though. I re-charged it and tried again - same thing. Now that's all it does.

I thought that was sad and chalked it up to age. Nothing lasts forever.

However, yesterday, another one of my Vapor Titan batteries began doing the exact same thing. It works great for an hour or so, then dims and provides almost no vapor. I can try to hit on it for hours and it won't flash repeatedly as though it's actually dead; it just plays dead. The LED struggles to light up and I get a tiny puff of mostly air.

One battery dying in an odd way is par for the course. Two batteries doing so in the exact same way in the course of a couple of days is more than coincidence.

Could one of my chargers be doing this to my batteries? I don't know enough about the physics involved to know if this is a possibility. I have three slim chargers that I switch between as the day(s) go on, so don't even know which one could be the culprit if this is what's happening. I'd need an endless supply of batteries for any sort of trial and error here.

The primary reason I'm looking at the charger is because I ran into a stream of (very) bad luck with them. I currently have 4 (yes, four) slim chargers that either arrived dead or died within a couple of weeks. V4L was kind enough to replace them. Two years ago or so, one of those chargers killed two of my Titan batteries (I charged each battery with it and suddenly they would no longer connect to any cartomizer, no matter how much I adjusted the post or what I tried). V4L claimed that the charger wasn't responsible, but thankfully replaced those batteries and the charger anyway. After 4 years of vaping at the time, I knew what I was doing; the only change was that new charger.

I'm scared because I've now had to break out some (almost) brand new batteries that I've had in storage for some time (and use on occasion) and really, really don't want them to succumb to the same fate. My mom passed away last year and I have no money to order anything new, possibly ever again. I was already looking at being forced to quit once I ran out of juice and cartos, but that was thankfully a long ways off because I stocked up when I could (and am still trying to figure out my finances for the future). I can't afford my mortgage, let alone an order for a bunch of new batteries and chargers. This stinks.

Now I may have to (somehow) quit in a week or so because something is frying my batteries. If it's not one of the chargers, then I'm lost because that's the only thing I plug my batteries into...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Symbiosis,
Thank you for reaching out. All our batteries are lithium ion, so they will last an average of 2-300*+ charge cycles. I've spoken to users that have had original ash cap batteries for over two years! However, this will vary depending on your vaping habits. If your batteries are over a year old, it may just be normal wear and tear. When rotating batteries, they are usually purchased within the same time frame, so when two start to decrease in performance, it's not as much of a coincidence. Do you have any idea when they were purchased? As for the chargers, unless they short out they cannot damage a battery in this way. When a charger goes out, it simply stops charging, and the indicator stays green when screwing in a dead battery. If the batteries were purchased recently, please let us know. We will gladly replace them if they are not working properly or to your expectations. Looking forward to your reply! ^GA

Reactions: LadyVapentine

Symbiosis

Jan 21, 2010
WA
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I could've sworn I checked the box that told the site to e-mail me if there were any replies and never received one. Glad I came on here today to check.

K9Luvr,

Thanks for the idea. They're both manual batteries with the non-adjustable center post (no hole, just a mostly flat surface). I've never quite understood that design - it does prevent leakage, which is nice, but if the post were to move, it'd be game over (never happened to me, but still seems like a possibility). I do my best to keep everything as clean as possible, but with the carto system, some leakage seems to be inevitable no matter how careful I try to be. I've cleaned them both since this problem started with no luck. I've never been good at cleaning chargers (if you have insight, please share), but these don't look bad and they're not very old (usage-wise, anyway...I'm a vape-stuff hoarder, lol).

LadyVapentine,

Thanks for your replies (though I guess that's a bit late now, sorry). You're very welcome for my patronage. Thanks to V4L for getting me off evil cigarettes, letting me breathe again and saving me a load of money in comparison (even factoring in the 100 or so dud cartos I've received and tossed) over the years!

oO_Gab727_Oo (Gabe),

Thanks to you as well. The batteries are both so old (and so much has happened in my life) that I honestly couldn't even tell you when I bought them anymore. I do remember that one is approximately 6 months newer than the other though, which is part of what got me thinking that it wasn't coincidence. The oldest went first, then the newer one just a day or two later.

It's good to know that the chargers can't do this, I guess. I don't know much about this area of technology/physics, but I suppose my concern was that perhaps one of them was malfunctioning and possibly sending too much current (or something along those lines) to the batteries while charging, resulting in the problems I'm having. I just had no idea if such a thing were possible.

Sadly, the issues have gotten worse with both batteries. They're "acceptable" (not good) for an hour or so, then want to be charged again. Thankfully, I have two "new" (year-old or so, but practically unused) back-ups and feel safer using them now that I know that they're not going to succumb to the same fate right away. They work great.

If I had the money, I'd just order more stuff (my dwindling supply of juice and cartos has me terrified). As it stands, I'm trying desperately to just keep my home (after over a year of fighting, I should know in the next week if I'm going to lose it or not...I'm praying). Hopefully everything will work out and I'll one day be a customer again. Nothing I have is under warranty or anything, unfortunately.

Amazingly enough, I myself still have one of those same old-style batteries from at least 3-4 years ago that works too! All the rest of that line have died though...button failure over time plagued me. I don't think I've ever had a battery die due to just actual battery life-span...

I even have the original charger that came with the first kit I ever ordered. The black kind with the cord. Still worked like new last time I checked.

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: LadyVapentine

Roccov

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Philly
vaporreporter.wordpress.com
Symbiosis, I still have a few supplies that were PIF'd to me to help others by Mses K9Luvr and Kelly. Send me a Pm and let me know what your looking for and I will send out what I have. Also what juice you like or anything that might help. I will check and charge anything before it goes in the mail. Enjoy the day!:2cool:

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Symbiosis,

Thanks for the response and the warm sentiments. It's great to meet all the folks that have kicked analog cigs with the help of Vapor4Life, and it's great to meet fellow vapers on here! :)

Thanks too, to k9luvr and Roccov for jumping in to help! It's further proof of what a great community of people we have on here!

Sending warmth and good vibes to you all this holiday season! :hubba::hubba::hubba:

Reactions: Symbiosis

K9Luvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 26, 2010
    Hampton, VA
    Symbiosis, I still have a few supplies that were PIF'd to me to help others by Mses K9Luvr and Kelly. Send me a Pm and let me know what your looking for and I will send out what I have. Also what juice you like or anything that might help. I will check and charge anything before it goes in the mail. Enjoy the day!:2cool:

Thanks Rocco sir for responding so quickly

K9Luvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 26, 2010
    Hampton, VA

So did they ever PM you? the suspense is killing me :cool::D:rolleyes:

Symbiosis

Jan 21, 2010
    WA
    Hello and thanks again everyone!

Sorry for the delay in my response time(s). I didn't even realize that so much time had passed since I last posted. My life is...difficult, I guess would be the easiest way to put it. I have neuromuscular problems (an atypical, progressive form of dystonia that no one can really diagnose) and it greatly limits my ability to function. Still though, I feel dumb for not coming back here sooner.

I'm also still in the midst of trying to save my home, which is stressful beyond belief. Still no definitive answers and now it's looking as though it may be another week or two before I know for sure. I was originally supposed to know early last month and everything keeps getting delayed (seriously, how many papers do I have to sign?!?). Things are looking good though! If it works out, it'll be the best Christmas present imaginable!

Roccov,

Your response was truly touching. Thank you. I hope you received my PM. If not, then I did it wrong, so it's good that I'm posting this :) There's no "PM" on this site, just a "Start Conversation" option.

LadyVapentine,

It's nice to meet all of you as well. I wish I'd been able to participate and be a part of this community all along. Sadly though, my mom had advanced ovarian cancer (diagnosed in 2007) and then suffered a major stroke in 2012. She was my life. That, along with my own health problems, has pretty much precluded me from posting or being a regular anywhere. I ran my own forum for disabled people for four years and was forced to give that up back in 2010. Life has just been about just trying to survive.

And vape like crazy, of course.

Warm wishes to you and everyone else as well.

K9Luvr,

I'm a dog person too, so nice name :) Thanks for being around on here. Like I wrote above, I'm trying to message Roccov right now, so I hope that allays your suspense. My mind is reeling from his generosity...

Everyone,

Sorry if my posts are a bit of a downer. My life's tough and I hope I'm not oversharing. Now I feel weird for posting my life story on an e-cig forum...apologies. It wasn't my intent when I first started this thread. Anyone feel free to tell me to keep my trap shut at any time :)

Hopefully one day soon I'll come on here and be able to update you all with "My house is mine!" or, to be more precise, "I have an affordable mortgage!" Until then, I'm just doing everything in my power to keep my mind in one piece.

Thanks again, truly!

p.s. This time I promise not to disappear for over a week again.

Last edited:

Roccov

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2012
    Philly
    vaporreporter.wordpress.com

Roccov,

Your response was truly touching. Thank you. I hope you received my PM. If not, then I did it wrong, so it's good that I'm posting this :) There's no "PM" on this site, just a "Start Conversation" option.
    I received your note and am running them all on the charger to assure they are working properly. I'll send a pic so you can pick a few different ones. Ms K9Luvr is the one that deserves the thanks. She alerted me to your situation and supplied a lot of these for my PIF efforts. Enjoy the day!:2cool:

K9Luvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 26, 2010
    Hampton, VA

Sorry for the delay in my response time(s). I didn't even realize that so much time had passed since I last posted. My life is...difficult, I guess would be the easiest way to put it. I have neuromuscular problems (an atypical, progressive form of dystonia that no one can really diagnose) and it greatly limits my ability to function. Still though, I feel dumb for not coming back here sooner.

I'm also still in the midst of trying to save my home, which is stressful beyond belief. Still no definitive answers and now it's looking as though it may be another week or two before I know for sure. I was originally supposed to know early last month and everything keeps getting delayed (seriously, how many papers do I have to sign?!?). Things are looking good though! If it works out, it'll be the best Christmas present imaginable!

Roccov,

LadyVapentine,

It's nice to meet all of you as well. I wish I'd been able to participate and be a part of this community all along. Sadly though, my mom had advanced ovarian cancer (diagnosed in 2007) and then suffered a major stroke in 2012. She was my life. That, along with my own health problems, has pretty much precluded me from posting or being a regular anywhere. I ran my own forum for disabled people for four years and was forced to give that up back in 2010. Life has just been about just trying to survive.

And vape like crazy, of course.

Warm wishes to you and everyone else as well.

K9Luvr,

I'm a dog person too, so nice name :) Thanks for being around on here. Like I wrote above, I'm trying to message Roccov right now, so I hope that allays your suspense. My mind is reeling from his generosity...

Everyone,

Sorry if my posts are a bit of a downer. My life's tough and I hope I'm not oversharing. Now I feel weird for posting my life story on an e-cig forum...apologies. It wasn't my intent when I first started this thread. Anyone feel free to tell me to keep my trap shut at any time :)

Hopefully one day soon I'll come on here and be able to update you all with "My house is mine!" or, to be more precise, "I have an affordable mortgage!" Until then, I'm just doing everything in my power to keep my mind in one piece.

Thanks again, truly!

p.s. This time I promise not to disappear for over a week again.

No need to apologize for sharing your life info with us. I know exactly how you feel re: you home. I, too, almost lost my home, and it took 2 years of submitting paperwork, etc. to finally get approved for a loan modification, which allowed me to keep my home. I hope you are able to do the same. And I hope you can use some of the stuff Rocco can send you - it's why Kelly and I sent it to Rocco in the first place. He is always there to help out a fellow vapor.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2015
    Sweet Home Chicago
    www.vapor4life.com
    I received your note and am running them all on the charger to assure they are working properly. I'll send a pic so you can pick a few different ones. Ms K9Luvr is the one that deserves the thanks. She alerted me to your situation and supplied a lot of these for my PIF efforts. Enjoy the day!:2cool:
    You guys rock! <3

LadyVapentine

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2015
    Sweet Home Chicago
    www.vapor4life.com
    Hate to double-post, but now I feel really stupid. I just realized why I haven't been getting e-mails when people reply - I joined so long ago that this account was linked to an e-mail address I forgot I ever even had. :oops:

Thought I'd share my oopsie...
    I know that feeling! That happened once with my Facebook. In fact, I still get alerts for my old dog Max's facebook. He was a cute lil 3-legged boxer and he gets more facebook alerts than I ever do!

LadyVapentine

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2015
    Sweet Home Chicago
    www.vapor4life.com
    No need to apologize for sharing your life info with us. I know exactly how you feel re: you home. I, too, almost lost my home, and it took 2 years of submitting paperwork, etc. to finally get approved for a loan modification, which allowed me to keep my home. I hope you are able to do the same. And I hope you can use some of the stuff Rocco can send you - it's why Kelly and I sent it to Rocco in the first place. He is always there to help out a fellow vapor.
    I love seeing all this on here. This is why I'm so drawn to this community. I've met so many people who band together and help each other out. I've been in that situation too. I hope everything works out!

LadyVapentine

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2015
    Sweet Home Chicago
    www.vapor4life.com
    • Deleted by LadyVapentine
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread